Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Green" policies are destroying this country

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,110 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

You are just taking the piss now 😁

I have shown you many examples from the same SF document that show they have no intention of following the Green Party`s trajectory.

You say that SF numbers are nonsense that never have and never will add up, yet based on a sentence that only mentions domestic solar, with no costings whatsoever, you still somehow believe they would.

Even if I was a Green Party supporter I would find you having this belief strange.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,020 ✭✭✭Shoog

The two are inextricably linked. The infrastructure needed to facilitate more renewables has not been built, partly because the players involved just haven't gotten round to it - but also because NIMBY groups have blocked every attempt.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Clo-Clo

The thread is about Green policies, which are environmental policies.

The environmental section as I have highlighted says that Sinn fein will speed up the process to go to renewals. That's the part that is relevant. So looks like you are backing the wrong horse on that one doesn't it?

In terms of farming I agree we should not be culling or reducing the animals in Ireland, we should be reducing in import of meat and using the top quality meat we have available in Ireland. I don't see why we should have shops like Tesco/SuperValu etc full of low quality meat products brought in from overseas

The LNG FSRU might be leased instead of bought. In terms of flexibility of shutting it down, leasing makes more sense as the govt could simply end a lease, rather than having try sell it when they're done

That must be a bit of a bolt from the blue for a few here.

I recall the Finns saying upon the opening of their latest nuclear power plant that they were in consultation with Sweden over future joint nuclear power plants but that was handwaved away by some. Surpised at the sudden announcement, but then again due to them already generating 30% from nuclear and them replacing France as Europes top electricity exporter last year while France had reduced their output for maintenance it looks as if they liked the revenue and are looking at increasing it.

With the greens motherland Germany, up the spout due to Russian gas they are most likely looking at a nice little earner there as well as having a dependable output for anyone who wants it when the wind dont blow.

Interesting that for all the noise of Ireland not being big enough for a nuclear power plant, Sweden has just twice our population, uses twice the electricity for capita we do, has already 30% of its needs from nuclear and is now increasing that to 40%

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 843 ✭✭✭m2_browning

Pages and pages of this thread were spent telling us wind is cheap and green when its anything but as evidenced by us having one of the highest electricity prices in Europe while remaining one of the dirtiest countries

More pages are spent dismissing nuclear power despite 60+ years of evidence across various European countries showing its clean cheap and most importantly to those of us who like advanced modern civilisation reliable

Its only reasonable to ask how much the bet on wind will cost as the alternative is actually quite easy to cost

Sweden doesn’t buy electricity produced by dirty German brown coal to pump water uphill like Norway, who then sell it back to same silly Germans who spent a trillion Euro on wind and solar only to remain one of the most polluting in Europe

While you at it did you find em figures?

Land mass of Ireland 70,273 km2 and 84,421 km2 including Northern Ireland

Land mass of Sweden: 528,447 km²

"Sweden has just twice our population" understatement of the year on that one.

Again, not sure why you expect me to answer a question you have for private companies yet you seem reluctant to go ask them yourself

Keep asking though, I get a chuckle out of it

• Registered Users Posts: 5,723 ✭✭✭creedp

As a matter of interest was it the Govt or these private corps pulled the 37GW figure out of thin air? And without any idea of cost how can anyone have any confidence if and when such a commitment could be delivered.

• Advertisement

So as far as your concerned we should only be discussing green policies on this thread with no mention of the Irish Green Party.

What you highlighted is that you do not believe, (never have and never will), SF figures, yet somehow believe they will follow the Irish Green Party trajectory ( I presume it`s ok with you to mention the Irish Green Party trajectory as you used it yourself earlier),on renewables from a document that said little to nothing on wind generation, nothing whatsoever on offshore, based on a single sentence that is not only uncosted but only mentions solar.

You`ll have no disagreement on culling from me or that we should not be importing low quality meat. But then yet again it is part of the fcuked up E.U. green think. The E.U. is importing the same tonnage from Brazil, (a country that burns down the rainforest to raise cattle and has recently legislated to allow it to expand), as we are exporting to E.U. countries. On the subject of culling I would have less ire for the E.U. than the Irish Green Party. While they were jumping up and down demanding it, the E.U. Agriculture Commissioner on a visit to Ireland said the E.U. had no interest in us culling cattle. That their main concern was food security.

There are almost similarly sized or smaller countries in Europe where none of that is a problem

They also happen to have very cheap power and are green

Some like France are the most visited country in world and last I checked was a very pleasant country that doesn’t glow in dark

edit: Dublin last I checked is not too far from a sizeable nuclear plant already

You compare Ireland with France, do I need to do the land mass equivalents?

It's of course all noise on a forum but if the government turned around tomorrow and said it was building a nuclear plant beside you, well we all know you would be putting in multiple planning permission complaints along with every other person in your county. Same with all the rest of the people on these threads.

So sorry but discussing nuclear is just noise, maybe you don't like it because I point it out but it's the truth. Plus you all know it.

I don't agree with the policy of importing meat, any meat. I don't agree with the campaign been run by RTE at the moment against farmers which is going on a while now.

The "Irish Green Party" are not running the Depart of Ag by the way, as I already advised you, ranting and raving about the green party just loses the point you are trying to make. Good or bad.

Sinn Fein are the most incompetent set of TD's, only slightly better than PBP who they want to partner with. As far as they are concerned ploughing ahead with more wind farms etc is what everyone wants, as per their document I already highlighted multiple times. As I said you are backing the wrong horse with that lot

Not a great map I`ll admit but it should still make it clear that land mass in Sweden is irrelevant as to where their nuclear power plants are located.

They are located in the most densely populated area of Sweden.

Finland is not too far off in population size

Slovenia has 2 million people

Slovakia has 5.5 million people

Dubai is 3.6m people with 4 new reactors

Baltics had nuclear until recently with a few million each

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭InAtFullBack

From: Planning extension for Apple Galway data centre quashed (rte.ie)

A separate challenge was also initiated by the non-governmental organisation, Eco-Advocacy.

See: Eco Advocacy - Planning and Environmental Law, Biodiversity, Sustainability, Conservation

Interesting to note on that page:

Eco Advocacy is part funded by the Deptartment [sp.] of Communications, Climate Action and Environment.

and

Eco Advocacy is a member of the Irish Environmental Network and is part funded by the IEN.

For a guy based in Meath he has no bother flying off on his holidays - be damned with the environmental costs of that, see his public Facebook Page postings for evidence of that... Another do as I say, not as I do merchant.

All great news, so again I refer back to the planning. 99.99% of the population will object to a nuclear plant if the government tried to build it in their county. So it's noise from people, nothing else

thats from earlier this year at a price similar to Hinkley C and double what Dubai paid per mwh

The UK auction failed this week and they have to raise bids 60% as is linked earlier in thread

you be lucky if the next Irish auction is not double the cost or these companies don’t just pull out like happened in US on last couple of months

• Advertisement

It does prove what I said in terms of planning for nuclear. If we can't get some of the DC's passed how exactly does anyone think we will get a nuclear plant built?

Bit odd you are tracking people down on facebook etc and making comments on their personal life.

Geez where did you get your education from?

Ireland has ~5 million people

Sweden has ~10 million people

It doesn't matter how large the landmass is, the trees, lakes and snow-capped mountains of Sweden don't need electricity to exist - people do.

Making comments about people's education. Crawling around people facebook accounts.

Land mass is critical if you are talking about a nuclear issue. I didn't make any comments about the population just said that it's a understatement to say they are "just" double the population. How many years has it taken Ireland to get to the 5m population?

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭deholleboom

The anti nuclear people always bring up Tchernobyl. That was neither an accident nor a deliberate explosion. What happened was that A: it wasnt a properly constructed nuclear facility, B: a team came in doing experiments shutting down reliable safety features. Basically asking for problems. We are not living in those times anymore. And if someone brings up Fukushima, that's another calamity issue.

None of it has to do with nuclear power production as such. People often confuse it w nuclear bombs as well.

Was it the Dept of Ag that was jumping up and down insisting on a cattle cull or the Green Party ?

LOL You are the one that was backing the SF horse of following the Irish Green Party`s trajectory and there is no mention of wind farms in what you highlighted. Only uncosted vague mention of solar with nothing to even indicate what it would add to the national grid or that it even would be.

There is no mention whatsoever of the 37GW offshore lunacy, and anytime SF have even mentioned wind energy it`s always publicly or community owned.

What I posted had nothing to do with Nuclear, I think you're getting all tangled up in the stuff you're saying and are not able to hold a coherent debate on things.

What you said was, and quote:

It was local objectors and a man who had a site for a data centre in Wicklow who caused the delays.

It wasn't just local objectors or a lad from Wicklow, there was a guy from Meath as I proved.

Regarding tracking down people on Facebook, there's the option not to publicly post that you're on a far away holiday courtesy of high emissions travel and then have the audacity to block developments back home on environmental/climate grounds. As I alluded - another do as I say, not as I do merchant.

Yes it is. Try telling the population an entire county could be made uninhabitable if an incident and see what percentage you would get in an approval.

As I said it is all noise on these forums from people who would never allow a nuclear plant get built beside them. No idea why people want to spend days on a topic which will never happen.

You quoted the post about Sweden so sorry it is you getting tangled up.

What someone does in their own personal time is none of mine or yours business. It's a pity when some people resort to that sort of tactics online to attack people because they disagree with them.

It's cute how a certain group use bold letters in their posts.

• Advertisement

So off you go, get a political party to run based on a nuclear plant. Give us all a shout when you find one.

I doubt some poster on boards is a spokesperson for the Green Party, maybe a supporter of the party so it's a bit ridiculous to be honest to suggest it.

People are annoyed at high energy costs, but they would be a lot more annoyed when that lovely house they own and is a massive asset is suddenly worthless overnight. Which one do you think they will be more upset over?

P.S. the Green Party will be gone next election. As I said to the other poster, who you going to blame then? who did you blame before the Green party was in government?

Advertisement