Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Game News 2.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,036 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Added the link to the site with the nominees to the original post.

Comment from the studio. Can't say I'll play it as I'm not an RPG player but good to see Independent studios doing well

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭warrior00

Starfield is far better than HiFi Rush and I played HiFi rush twice just for achievements. I have put 87 hours into Starfield and I'm still not finished. Once you get over the hurdle of loading screens it is an excellent game.

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭PixelPlayer

Nevermind. Is there no delete function on boards?

Post edited by PixelPlayer on

• Registered Users Posts: 7,589 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

Great news for the Irish Larian Studios team for Baldurs Gate 3 as this was the first game released that they contributed to.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,535 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Bit weird RE4 getting it on PS GOTY while BG3 got the PC and Overall and all those others.

Like the votes could fall differently but when BG3/larian was getting so much else why it lose out to RE4.

Also even if someone likes his voice I don't know how Astarion got the win there, unless you're playing evil he whines a lot. Also supporting isn't fully accurate as you can play any of them as main character.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,280 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

My twitter was just full of being full on gushing over asterion. He has a big fanbase.

Hopefully I can start on Baldur's gate this month. It's sounds like the kind of RPG I wanted while being disappointed by the likes of mass effect and whatever Bethesda put out.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,600 ✭✭✭quokula

Really bizarre choice given that BG3 wrapped up the majority of the awards and it's a console exclusive to Playstation currently. And if they're giving multiplatform games those rewards how on earth did something as poor as Starfield win the xbox one? I guess it's just one of the reasons to take these kinds of awards with a massive dollop of salt.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,324 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

That didn't take long: the exodus from The Escapist have already set up shop elsewhere on YouTube.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,604 ✭✭✭✭Penn

I guess it's just that people would think of BG3 as being a PC game first and foremost, and might think of the RE games as predominantly being on PlayStation. Then you just have likely splitting of votes depending on the different nominees in each category.

It's not worth overly thinking about though. Just a way to give some decent games and studios their flowers.

Post edited by Penn on

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I played all the way through BG3 on PS5 - chosen over PC so I could play multiplayer with friends. But even then, I’d still consider it a PC game first and foremost 😂

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,038 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Some news coming out in the last hour so that claims Jirard has been holding onto charity funds and that some of the funds haven't been used correctly.

I have to say that I really enjoyed his content and wouldn't have thought he'd do something like he's being accused of doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,589 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

Western physical release for Baldurs Gate 3 announced for Q1 2024. The Xbox version is on 3 discs, it most likely requires the extra disc due to the X and S versions being different builds. These cost €100 including shipping.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,811 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,324 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Xbox game disks are limited to 50gb. No one really knows why, but it's a very good guess that MS just didn't want to shell out the money to support something that they probably feel is superfluous when you consider most games need a multiple gig day one patch.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,535 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Av forums have complaints of triple 33.4gb per layer having issue on xbox so they play at least but can have issues. Not too many 100gb 4k movies.

Double layer movies seem to work fine, so might be 3 x 66gb disc rather than 3 x 50gb.

Usually they use all the space to reduce compression. So 2 x 3 layer vs 3 x 2 layer.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,324 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Yeah, it's just a policy limit, not a hardware restriction. They could almost certainly change it at anytime, but they clearly don't want to. I can understand it too, what with the digital share of the market becoming the dominate way of getting the games, and while it doesn't really affect me at all, I do feel annoyed on behalf of those it does impact.

Couldn't cost much at all to do properly.

Seeing this story build traction, The Last of Us 2 PS5 version looks to be announced soon, possibly the game awards. Wait till ye see, "built from the ground up" with an 80 euro price tag on it. No way will it have a free upgrade but at least a an upgrade option would be nice bit i have zero confidence on naughty Dog/Sony doing anything consumer friendly these days.

I wouldn't mind playing through the story again at some point, but unless this included some decent-sized DLC, I'd just download the PS4 version again.

Yeah i only played it 1 and a half times (half to get the plat) but was so grim, i couldn't finish it. Would definitely play through again.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,280 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Wouldn't play it again. Felt like it wasted 25 hours of my life. It made itself seem important and by the end of had absolutely nothing to say and the recent revelations about it paralleling Israel/Palestine make it seem even more off key. It's like the videogame version of Crash (2004).

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Given the game already got a 60FPS patch and remains a technical showcase, any attempt to charge 80 quid for this will be farcical. But it is Sony.

I'm not even sure ray tracing would help considering the original has best in class global illumination.

I just want to see those glorious rope physics in 4K 60FPS HDR Ray tracing LIKE THEY ALWAYS SHOULD HAVE BEEN!

I think Sony will fully try to capitalise on the tv show. Season 2 is supposed to start filming in January with release in 2025 and reports that Abby has been cast (God help Kaitlyn Dever if true). I still want to play Part 1 'remake' but even in the black friday sale, it's down to a whopping 50 euro.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,845 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

I liked part 2 at the time.

I played the remake of part 1 recently though and tried to roll right into part 2 as I was in the mood. I ran whack into a long boring walking around taking to people start that just killed it for me.

I always think that if they were killing Joel they should have started you as Abby and pushed your buttons until you killed him yourself. Would have been a much more powerful way to make their point, than the lazy kill a main character for shock moment usually kept for TV shows in their waning 6th season.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,945 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

€43 in Smyths if that's any bit closer to your price point.

Nah still a bit too pricey for a game i already own twice minus the brilliant factions. I'm tempted to play through remaster again but just gonna wait til part 1 makes it to ps plus or price drops to 20.

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭PixelPlayer

I'm a fan of PS ports\remasters. I think their approach to release on console first and take the time to release a PC version that does a PC justice is much better than the xbox approach of day one PC release that is basically the console game with extra bugs.

But the price is most definitely a problem. There is no reason to pay full price. If you have a PS5 then most likely you've played the game already. If you don't have a PS5, well you've waited anywhere between 3 and 8 years for the game already, waiting a bit longer for the price to drop to bargain basket prices is easy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭JimBurnley

Advertisement