Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Republic of Ireland Team 2023/24 [old thread]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,102 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Frustrating alright... Even Graelish I'd leave off, at least we were aware of him thinking about switching before senior level - but Rice would've been a massively transformative player, and literally bloody played for our seniors.

Now he'll just be a tricky pub quiz question in England down the line "who was Declan Rice's senior international debut against?" - with the answer being Turkey for us, rather than the Czechs for them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,520 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Christ, there's a near miss and then there is finishing second bottom with 5 losses and only points against Gibraltar to your name.

I am afraid there is not pretending the Kenny era is "just another era of non-qualification" or something we've seen before. It's patently worse

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,660 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

This is potentially hugely damaging, the CEO pay thing.

Small porotoesin the larger scheme of things, but comes at a time when the FAI are again with the begging bowl looking for funding to bail out the previous sh1t show, and this suggests that little has really changed.

Who in their right mind would throw public money into the FAI really?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,346 ✭✭✭Did you smash it

• the ceo pay thing shouldn’t be damaging but it probably will be as the public like to kick the FAI and the press won’t refuse ink. My understanding is he got an extra 20k for working on holidays and communting expenses. He is repaying it. If we think think that it serves football in this country to place the national association in financial peril for the sake of an easily understandable and explainable 20k then that sums up football (and in many ways sport in Ireland apart from horse racing)- perpetually smalltime because it’s perpetually underinvested.
    • much has changed in the FAI but it largely centres on improving financial governance and that will not solve the problem that there are things in the world that say “money” and things in the world that don’t. And Irish football is one of the latter, not the former. You can reorganise Irish football anyway you want. If there’s no investment of hard cash to back it up, it will keep perishing on the same rock until we fluke a couple of major tournament qualifications and then it will be temporarily boom time again.
    • who in their right mind would throw public money at the FAI? Well all I can ask to that is can you put forward a single case of an instance where public money paid towards FAI projects was misspent?

people can go on forever about the faults of the FAI but you can’t generate money from something that historically doesn’t generate money (except when we fluke some success like during the Charlton era). That’s where we are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,491 ✭✭✭pgj2015

They are so arrogant that they think you just play for England because they are the better team.

Ferguson should have said I know my nationality, unlike like Rice and Grealish.

Or Callum Robinson or Ciaran Clarke or Will Keane or Mikey Johnson or Matt Doherty going by the quote attributed to him where he calls himself British

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

Matt Doherty called himself British? He can switch if he likes, an annoying player, seems to have a certain level of raw ability but no game sense despite years of experience. I’d say he’s done more harm than good in an Ireland jersey in all 39 or so appearances he’s had.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,879 ✭✭✭budgemook

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭Seneca the Stoic

Agreed. He is the most infuriating, dialling-it-in player I have ever seen. Ambles around the pitch looking ‘busy’ but contributes nothing of note.

Mark omahony named on the bench for Brighton.

After Ferguson’s hat trick vs Newcastle I had the thought that the next new Irish player to score a PL hat trick was likeliest him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,364 ✭✭✭henke

I wonder what is the prognosis on Evan and will he be available for Ireland. Not in the squad today. Took a knock against Ajax. Hopefully precautionary with the 3 day turnaround for Brighton.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,197 ✭✭✭Xander10

A back issue apparently. Not too serious. But I am not expecting him on a plane to join up with the Ireland squad

The award for most left field reason to criticize a player out of the blue

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,810 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,527 ✭✭✭glenjamin

Turned out to be the winner in the end.

Troy Parrott starting for Excelsior this evening. Just kicked off. Good to see him in the starting line up again but he really needs to kick on and add some more goals if he's going to forge out any sort of career at a high level.

Not really. I’m not even sure what he said about playing for England, never mind that, I agree with Seneca the Stoic above. I think he had/has talent but with Ireland anyway from when I watched him he often dialled it in as he put it.

Ah, well it was more them agreeing with you since you said it.

The post was an odd segway to randomly criticise Doherty - a comment Ferguson may or may not have said which you are unfamiliar with.

I will never understand how he was such an excellent LOI manager. Granted he was excellent at spotting underrated talent in the LOI but the slow speed of delivery, the constant meaningless equivocations, the pauses, finally getting to the point after two minutes of waffling. The best method of communication is to get to the point as quickly as possible and emphasize it, by repeating if necessary. Kenny’s press conferences would be used in corporate workshops as an example of how not to communicate.

his heart is clearly in the right place but he needs to rebuild his career elsewhere and he needs to go on a communications course.

https://x.com/offtheball/status/1724508748910104974?s=46&t=M-EGdU8vr-bNuKyNUg6tmQ

Speaking to camera in that weird pre/post match setup is very different to speaking in person to other people in fairness though. I've found him a tough watch in press conferences and post match yokes, but he was brilliant to listen to in his Second Captains live-show interview well before he got the job. I also thought he was grand in the link you posted though, particular since he was asked a question that should've been put to FAI execs rather than the international manager - so I doubt it was one he was ready for with the cameras on him. The one thing we consistently hear across all his jobs is that in the actual business of talking to his players and getting them to buy in, he's brilliant. Seems it's the tactical element that's caught him out at this level.

I'd also say there's a massive difference between club football and international football -- at club level you can do so much more work, day-in day-out on the training field, whereas with internationals you have these very short high intensity windows to try to do what you can, before you then go months on end without seeing the lads again. It may be that he's capable enough tactically when given the time and space, but just can't handle the short-term element of international work. I would say his in-game management definitely puts a low enough ceiling on his potential regardless though. Just not good enough at adjusting in the moment.

• Advertisement

Maybe he has two methods of communicating but I am cynical personally about that. Personally I’ve never liked his communication style in any interview I’ve heard him in. It’s tough on the ear. It’s just so inarticulate in that he can’t see to find the words to express what he’s thinking.

tactically …well I think his tactics were wrong basically, we don’t have the players or culture to score goals at international level through inventive creativity. Ultimately Ireland under Kenny relied on set pieces for goals just like all the previous managers did.

People speak differently in all sorts of different environments, and being on camera/in public is definitely a pretty massive shift from how people speak normally. Like, public speaking is a skill. It's one he isn't great at, but I'm not sure how much that impacts how you talk privately when not put on the spot, and not being hit by mystery questions. In normal conversation you get to control and steer the subject with whoever you're talking to, on equal terms, without this weird added pressure of potentially thousands/millions of eyeballs. It's just totally different. I've no idea how he is with the lads, but the one thing we always always hear about is how brilliant at man-management he is. Which makes sense, cause he had to be doing something right to get the results he did at club level. So I'd say he's grand at everything up to a level, but just not beyond it.

I also think his tactics have been wrong - though it's far deeper than just the thing of 'our lads can't play football'... given that down through the years we've been outplayed by all sorts of minnows and teams of our own level. There clearly is a way to play half decent football with a bit of passing - to the same standard every team in the championship and most of League One can manage - without having to resort to 8 men behind the ball. But the way he's tried to do it has failed. I've no doubt a better manager with time could do better with the same broad ethos, but better tactical execution. The issue of course is how the bejesus do we get a decent manager with wages of around half what the average Championship manager gets (Champ average is around 1m euros).

Anything to be read into Festy’s withdrawal from a squad due to injury but no details of what was the injury? He did a press conference right before the withdrawal aswell I think. Inclined to think there might be something happening there that we’re not being told about but who knows.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,989 ✭✭✭ebbsy

Considering the wide margin that is there to allow countries to make the playoffs, the fact that we are not even in contention for one is very poor form indeed.

Its just not good enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,527 ✭✭✭glenjamin

I hope not. There's nothing to suggest he has decided his international future lays elsewhere based on him being included in the previous squad. But it is ridiculous how he hasn't been tied down yet though. Should have seen minutes against Gibraltar.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,275 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

No we needed to see 90 mins of Matt Doherty there

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,012 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Public communication particularly on camera, you would think, should be the minimum expected in a role like this drawing that salary.

For me it's just one of Kenny's shortcomings and probably the most visible evidence of how out of his depth he was for this role. It didn't even improve throughout. Did he not take public speaking lessons?

Don't get me wrong. I don't blame him. He seems like a good guy but he should never have been put in this position in the first place.

This is not harsh, it's the truth and there is overwhelming evidence we can all see now in the end result of his tenure.

Is it over yet, even he must be wondering will the nightmare ever end. Will it end on Tuesday, when is is his contract actually up or will the shambles that is the FAI just do nothing about it indefinitely until some time next year?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,302 ✭✭✭Azatadine

I was surprised to hear Johnny Giles indicate that he thinks Kenny could turn it around in the next couple of games and be the toast if the country. Heard it on OTB last evening.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

Should have left Andy Moran with the under 21s, they have a good chance of qualification. Reaching a finals tournament would be good experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭Zico

Is OTB still a thing?

I can't see much value for money in paying to hear Johnny Giles these days.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,827 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

In fairness to Giles he's still good to listen to, better than most people half his age.

Incredible really.

The bar was so low, some wouldn't even give managers any credit for 'qualifying' for one.

Now look at us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 668 ✭✭✭mjsc1970

U21s just gone 2-1 up in Norway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭The White Feather

Now 3-2 down after some awful game management. Should be able to keep it tighter

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,197 ✭✭✭Xander10

I think Dunphy is playing devils advocate about Kenny or just trying to get a bit of attention by saying the opposite of every other pundit and anyone else with a bit of sanity. Johnny Giles is elderly now and I think Dunphy just has more influence over him than ever.

Just because there’s no obvious replacement and it looks difficult for the FAI to do anything or make any decisions these days isn’t a reason to continue with Stephen Kenny. There is no argument for keeping him on. No argument of any sort.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,012 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

I actually think we should bring back Mick McCarthy so the FAI could make up for the bs "succession" deal before. Say what what you like about him - McCarthy would not have overseen the disaster of the last two years. If the FAI are concerned about money it's the obvious choice.

Christ, I couldn't handle more Mick. Nice chap and all, but with the best will in the world for the fella he really is a guy who football has left behind. We could also really do with someone a bit more unifying than that I think.

Looking around at some of the left field options, one that kinda stood out as a mad-but-actually-possibly-feasible option is Fabio Cannavaro. Would be a similar one to Greece going for Poyet, or Albania going for Sylvinho, both to decent effect. Someone with a high profile, but mixed club career looking for a boost and not asking for much money.

Cannavaro was on around 500k with Benevento last year, so the money could be doable. The bulk of his management experience was in the Chinese league, but at least he did well there and won a few trophies. International football is a bit different too, and - like the two lads mentioned above - could see him doing better than at club level. He's also got surprisingly good English. Mad one, and obviously not likely, but the sort of left-field option I hope the FAI are at least looking into.

Post edited by ~Rebel~ on

• Registered Users Posts: 3,765 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

Didn't Benevento get relegated from Serie B under him last year?

Yup, though the club was in a mess - he only joined them in February that season when they were already struggling, and just couldn’t turn it around. Not ideal but with the market we’re looking at, there’s not going to be any total success stories unfortunately. If someone’s a big unmitigated success, they won’t be looking our direction.

As referenced in my post above, it’s a similar gamble as Poyet with Greece and Sylvinho with Albania - hugely experienced big name players with mixed club management experiences, but where you can see there might be something there (for instance Cannavaro’s Evergrande side were apparently quite decent and primarily built from youth, going on to win the Chinese Super league). International football is a nice step for these sorts of lads, with the balance shifting towards personality and motivation, since there’s so little time for really detailed tactical work.

• Advertisement

The problem with far flung appointments like cannavaro is that he is either going to manage from Italy like trap did. Or pay him a large relocation fee to relocate to the uk where he can really do the job as it needs to be done. And the fai don’t have the cash for large relocation fees.

He seems to be mad to get back into a job, so you never know what sort of contract he’d accept in the shorter term for his longer term professional benefit, given that he’s not a fella who’s short of money.

I mean, for sure, there’s a rake of reasons it won’t happen, and money’s always a likely enough one, but I just hope the FAI are at least contacting these sorts of lads.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

How good is his English? It would be nice to see Manuela back 🤣

Fairly miserable day in Amsterdam this morning. Raining and a bit chilly although I heard the stadium has a roof so might not be an issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭Zico

True, Ally McCoist is still making a living on TalkSport.

I think Brian Kerr is the current 'Giles' figure in Irish soccer. A former coach with recent enough experience to make credible assessments of the team.

Yes we should advertise the job with agents and sell the position as one with massive potential which it does have. Ireland is invested in its football team which is only the case for a good few international teams when they are actually in a major tournament.

I think if we go the continental European route it could be Rafa Benitez. His current position is tenuous at celta vigo and if his links are still strong to Liverpool (if his family still lives there) this job might afford the perfect chance to have a work life balance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,810 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Mick is a legend in my eyes, but I wouldn't be having him back for a third spell. Poyet has continually dropped hints about leaving when his contract expires at Greece, assuming he isn't playing silly buggers, he would be a better option.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭deisedude

So the FAI failed to draw down €500k in government assistance last year due to an administrative error. Different clowns, same circus.

Jonathan Hill should get the sack at this stage. His reign has been a disaster

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭Dick phelan

How the hell can the head of the FAI get away with not living in the country. It's ridiculous.q

Looks like;

Bazunu;

Doherty

Scales

Collins

O’Shea

Manning;

Cullen

Knight

Browne;

Robinson

Ferguson.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,926 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Kenny got very well paid for the 'nightmare'. Right place, right time and got to manage his country. Not many people can say that. And in 20 plus years time most will have forgotten about the results. And Kenny will forever be known as former Republic of Ireland manager. I suppose it could be argued in future jobs it has raised his profile and mean larger contracts than he otherwise would have received.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement