Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General British politics discussion thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,548 ✭✭✭political analyst

Does it not occur to Starmer that he could resolve the problem of those MPs who have large numbers of Muslim constituents by telling those MPs and that set of constituents that Hamas has put ordinary Palestinian civilians in Gaza in harm's way by invading Israel and using the civilians in Gaza as human shields?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭Ahwell

Who cares? She’s a has-been, she just doesn’t know it yet. Her support in the party is reported to be just two dozen MPs. That’s it. A Ipsos UK poll on whether Sunak was right to sack her had 70% in favour and only 17% against.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,636 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

What she doesn't seem to be aware of is that there is no law preventing anyone from leaving a country like France. Literally the only person who could be stopped would be a suspect wanted by police, someone on bail or an escaped convict.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,786 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Braverman was AG. She's meant to be one of the top lawyers in the UK, yet this is the stuff of someone who's going to fail first year.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,868 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

She seems to think that they can create a system which exists in isolation from all other legislation, while ignoring the fact that such a system would have to be grounded in the existing legal framework for it to be enforceable. She can't be that stupid to think that "notwithstanding clauses" mean you can ignore all other laws. How can such clauses carry any weight if you are dispensing with all other laws and how can you enforce those clauses without the courts?

It's like something a couple of stoned teenagers would come up with, "let's make a law thats, like, a super law"!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭kirk.

Nothing could suprise at this stage

The idea of transporting migrants to Rwanda is off the wall

GUBU comes to mind

• Registered Users Posts: 18,636 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Fascinating to see that 'spongers' and 'scroungers' on benefits are coming into the firing line of the Tory Party and Daily Mail / Telegraph readers again. For a long time it was EU migrants and other non nationals, but it seems even British citizens are not safe from them.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,618 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Starmers advisors probably know that most people aren't idiots who will buy simple IDF/Zionist propaganda.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,995 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Cameron has come out with a white paper detailing the "unlocking" of extra foreign aid money.

I assume it's a a play to both try convince moderate voters back but far more importantly (for him) a way for Cameron to buy some sort of post election UN envoy job.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,886 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Think that's an overly cynical view. He was very public in his condemnation of the cutting of the aid budget.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,222 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

I don't think she's that stupid but she's courting stupid voters who'll believe her and then she can complain about the ECHR, Human Rights Charters and woke judges when her proposals don't get anywhere and that'll rile them up.

She was the AG because she was the only qualified lawyer in the Commons willing to back clearly illegal plans. She is not, nor was she ever, within an asses roar of being a "top lawyer".

• Registered Users Posts: 8,795 ✭✭✭blackwhite

That sort of lazy sh1te is no different to the “lining up a job at the EU” rubbish that gets spouted about pretty much every senior politician in government in Ireland at some point.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,713 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

I'm not so sure. He spent years gutting the welfare system and cutting taxes for his friends. Now, he's alleged to have been "bored sh*tless" and has returned as a result. Nothing about him is motivated by public service. He's just another public schoolboy looking to get back to climbing the greasy pole.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

He publicly criticised the aid cut when it occurred, in quite strong terms. It is really not surprising that he has worked to increase it as a priority and there is no reason to think it is anything other than something he genuinely believes in.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,421 ✭✭✭✭Water John

You are correct there, but he should also restore the cuts made on his own people by Osbourne during their time in charge together.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,474 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I'm sure it's still Labour's fault somehow: looks like the number is 700k children in schools requiring major fixing: maybe it's part of the tactic to make sure the UK isn't "too welcoming".

Oh for sure, he is at fault for much suffering and hardship. And unlike in Ireland it was far more a deliberate choice with alternatives available.

I'm just saying he genuinely believes in foreign aid for humanitarian, diplomatic and practical security reasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭PommieBast

Pretty much. A day or two ago the FT had a piece that basically called Cameron a washed-up failure, made all the more stark by the comparison with his deputy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,511 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

I think Starmer realises that both the MPs and their constituents are likely to have a more nuanced understanding of the situation, and he would damage himself by peddling this simplistic shîte.

I think Starmer would also not share your assumption that the need here is to persuade people not to support Hamas. Relatively few of those who are critical of Israel and/or who want a ceasefire in Gaza are fans of Hamas; many of them despise Hamas.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,481 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Indeed and the attempts to equate a desire for a ceasefire with "support for Hamas" is a pretty risible if sadly successful tactic.

It is perfectly possible to be utterly appalled at the abhorrent actions of Hamas and also think that some of the actions of the IDF rise to the level of potential war-crimes.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,729 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Catching up on today's news and I see that in the Covid Inquiry Sir Patrick Vallance's diary has been presented and .discussed.

FOr those that haven't heard, it puts Johnson pretty much in the light we kind of knew about. According to Valance's diary (and I'm taking this from Sky News), Boris Johnson, had argued against any lockdown, saying he was for "letting it all rip" and that those who would die from contracting the virus had "had a good innings".

The chief scientist described Mr Johnson as "getting very frustrated" and "throwing papers down" in the meeting, before saying: "Looks like we are in a really tough spot, a complete shambles. I really don't want to do another national lockdown".

But according to the entry, the prime minister was told "to go down this route of letting go, 'you need to tell people - you need to tell them you are going to allow people to die".

The scientific adviser concluded it "all feels like a complete lack of leadership" - words he stood by at Monday's COVID inquiry hearing.

Asked about the extract by the inquiry's legal team, Sir Patrick added: "It must have felt like a complete lack of leadership and reading it, it feels like quite a shambolic day."

Mr Johnson's understanding of the science was also brought into question by Sir Patrick, who said the prime minister was left "clearly bamboozled" during a meeting between the pair.

Ten days later, Sir Patrick wrote that Mr Johnson "sways between optimism and pessimism" and he was "still confused on different types of tests (he holds it in his head for a session and then it goes)."

Another extract from June 2020 said: "Watching [the] PM get his head around stats is awful. He finds relative and absolute risk almost impossible to understand."

And a further entry from same month said it was "a real struggle to get [Mr Johnson] to understand" graphs.

However, whilst Johnson has disappeared off to do very little somewhere else, the inquiry did quote Vallance's diary stating that "DC [Dominic Cummings] says 'Rishi thinks just let people die and that's OK.". While Vallance didn't hear Sunak say this, I wonder if Cummings will be asked to clarify what he meant.

In additon, Sunak's Eat Out to Help Out was presented to the public without being discussed with the Government's scientific and medical advisors. Apparently a 2021 academic paper suggested the scheme may have been responsible for “between 8–17% of all newly detected COVID-19 infections (and likely many more non-detected asymptomatic infections) in late summer”.

I've no doubt that the majority of media outlets will not report this in any depth but will Labour try and attack Sunak for not caring about the British people's health and welfare?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,421 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Well Labour could well tie it in with the defunding of the HSE, not caring about peoples health in general.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,729 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

• Registered Users Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

Autumn statement - So the work shy have 18months to get into employment before they are put on mandatory training. If they chose not to engage their benefits are cut.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,862 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

The way the Tories are going, this mandatory training will probably include marching, and how to strip an SA80.

The Dublin Airport cap is damaging the economy of Ireland as a whole, and must be scrapped forthwith.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,474 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

What on earth is "mandatory training" gonna entail here 'cos there's a small whiff of dystopia about that, without knowing the details.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,786 ✭✭✭✭L1011

It's likely to be something similar to Jobpath here; but given to an even worse Tory donor outsourcer who will make even more of a hames of it.

And going on how the outsourced means tests for things like PIP, 'bedroom tax' etc in the UK go; the outcome will be horrendous with multiple suicides of people left penniless in error and so on.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,713 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Given the poor results of my applications on the continent, I'd be very interested in some of retraining that didn't involve tens of thousands of pounds of debt but sadly, you're right here. It'll just be Atos all over again.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

Advertisement