Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ulster Team Talk Thread IV... Go On My Henderson...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭Locke_Lamora

Great patience at the back of that mail, I was screaming for them to use it

• Registered Users Posts: 68,578 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Have to put the mistakes down to that horrendous rain.

Could see them conspire to lose this.😓

• Registered Users Posts: 11,420 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

In fairness you could type that half way through ant Ulster game and its true

Nearly blew it. Shoulda had the bonus.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,379 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

• Registered Users Posts: 5,929 ✭✭✭jacothelad

Yet again, a whole raft of starting changes makes certain there is little or no continuity in back play. Strangers on the pitch.Stewart Moore is a good player but a very poor full back. Doak had a poor enough outing in the first half. Back to dithering.Also Stockdale was just feckin' awful. He looked like he'd never played rugby before. Just blundered about. The rain was awful and made things difficult but it's Ireland...in November. It rains.

The difference in tempo when Cooney came on was marked. He is just a better player than Doak.

You would surmise that when you have a player like Baloucoune available, you might come up with plays to use his talents rather than leave him scratching Mr Wiggly out on the touchlines. Box kicks he can actually get too. Bring him in on backline plays to run decoys or break the line. He is growing old out there.

Wilson was excellent again (as were Warwick, Hendo, McCann.) Wouldn't it seem miraculous if he actually is any good in the long term. He looks the real deal in so far as he has played 2 games. Marty Moore is a welcome returner. He isn't a quick player ( being kind) but he had about 20kgs of strapping on to slow him down from a crawl to a glacier. I hope he makes / has made a complete recovery and doesn't end up like Jack McGrath, hanging in there to no effect.

Load of dross again. I thought the ref was a bit pernickity, over-fastidious. He's usually good enough. He seemed in particular to have a boner for the lineout tonight.

Post edited by jacothelad on

• Registered Users Posts: 17,795 ✭✭✭✭bilston

I think the rotation is fine, he's giving young guys gametime and we're winning. It should stand to these guys down the line.

Tonight was an awful watch though, there was no momentum probably because of the conditions, the new pitch and a wet ball seems a poor mix.

I was disappointed in Flannery at 10.

Another big performance from McCann who was probably my man of the match again. Wilson is a great find.

4 wins from 5 (none of the wins particularly convincing it has to be said) and we've seen debuts for Scott Wilson, Reuben Crothers and Lorcan McLoughlin, all of who have not looked out of place in any way shape or form, and in the case of Wilson have been better than even that. Throw in the fact that McCann is fast becoming a leader in this team and the continued development of Harry Sheridan (who should be getting more gametime IMO) then as far as I'm concerned the season has been a 7/10 so far.

I still don't have any great expectations for trophies or getting deep into knockout rugby, but finally there looks to be a plan in place that will put us in a better place in 2-3 years time.

In fact I'm almost worrying that things have turned so much on their head that the question needs to be asked where are the next generation of backs coming from?!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,212 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Ulster need to make the most of their opening fixtures. Following their season opener away to Zebre, 5 of their next 7 are/have been home games.

Their end of season is pretty tough. They'll really need to be top 2 at the turn, I'd say if they want home knock out games. Finishing the season with the visit of Leinster and a trip to Limerick is a tough one (along with going to the Sharks and Bulls after the 6N).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,460 ✭✭✭Paul Smeenus

(15-9) Will Addison, Rob Baloucoune, James Hume, Luke Marshall, Jacob Stockdale, Billy Burns, John Cooney;

(1-8) Eric O’Sullivan, Tom Stewart, Tom O’Toole, Kieran Treadwell, Iain Henderson (C), Harry Sheridan, Reuben Crothers, James McNabney.

Replacements: Zac Solomon, Steven Kitshoff, Marty Moore, Alan O’Connor, Matty Rea, Dave Shanahan, Jake Flannery, Ben Moxham.

Squad Unavailability List

Callum Reid (Back), James McCormick (Shoulder), Rob Herring (Calf), John Andrew (Neck), Marcus Rea (Elbow), David McCann (Ankle), Sean Reffell (Ankle), Nick Timoney (Knee), Greg Jones (Shoulder), Dave Ewers (Hip), Mike Lowry (Hip), Ethan McIlroy (Facial Fracture/ Concussion), Stewart Moore (Hamstring), Angus Curtis (Concussion)

Thought it was a fairly mix-and-match team, but we've six back rowers injured and three hookers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,483 ✭✭✭ulsteru20s

O Toole back this quickly is surprising. I’m very into that back row! All guys with massive potential.

While it is fantastic to have three young, talented home-grown backrowers starting, they have fourteen caps between them. I expect it to be a long night.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,483 ✭✭✭ulsteru20s

Points wise we are in a good spot. This seems like a good week to experiment some.

Maybe. Glasgow would be a good team to pull out an unexpected win against. But still - not much choice - we've a lot of players down.

It will be a tough test against Fagerson, Darge and Dempsey for the young lads.

Still it's great to see this selection policy. 5/6 points from these two matches (Glasgow and Edinburgh) with players blooded and devent rugby played would be a solid enough return.

I assume we will go full strength against Edinburgh with Bath and Toulouse in mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,479 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Great to see the young players get to play. Sheridan is well able.

Fascinating interview with Hume - a million miles from the usual article about players and their form.

Hope whatever's plaguing him off-pitch turns out alright.

This is an aggressive start by Ulster

Lads...we finally have an enormous homegrown ball carrying Ulster back row player! It's a thing of beauty!

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭ElisaAtWar

Just joined this game. assume Addison was muck

What was Rea doing there, just put in a random shoulder after the ball had gone and opened up a massive hole.

Frustrating... Ran out of steam, and our discipline went to pieces. McNabney looked like the real deal. Doak completely stifled our game at ten, shovelling the ball on to forwards when the backs were posited to go. Addison still not settled.

But I think we'll improve.

First caps for seven players in six games.

Frustrating to get nothing from that tonight. Twice already away from home we've blown good positions.

That said let's be realistic, the back tow had an average age of 21 and we're up against three Internationals. We also lost our 10 early on and replaced him with a 9 who wasn't even in the 23 an hour before kick off.

McNabney looks the part, he's got a big future and I like Crothers, you have to wonder about his size but he is hugely talented.

5 points is a must next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,606 ✭✭✭Shehal

You say Doak stifled our game (from 10)...I agree, albeit I wouldn't be too critical of Nathan himself, he was asked to do a job out of his comfort zone and he did his best (he was by no means terrible)...but...and this isn't an original thought, I read it elsewhere...but does tonight show that Billy Burns is actually an important cog in the Ulster wheel?

He absolutely is. He's vitally important. He's no world-conquerer, but he's a very decent player and our best performances come when he's on song. Arguably, Flannery might pass him, but at the minute, he's number one, and crucial to our chances.

• Advertisement

Despite our mixed feelings over him and everyone else's disparaging thoughts about him after his missed kick to touch against wales, there was a reason that the Irish coaches were seriously looking at him over Ross Byrne for a while. Our backline is bloody dangerous when he hits his stride and our other options have had so little game time over the last few years that we can't really expect much cohesion. Flannery has looked decent though.

Advertisement