Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jozef Puska guilty of murder of Ashling Murphy (Mod notes and threadbans in op)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,546 ✭✭✭political analyst

I think I know the case you're referring to. The boy had sex with a 14-year-old girl. The Supreme Court ruled against his challenge to the 2006 Sex Offenders Act. When I read about the trial, I learned there was more to the case than I thought.

The encounter between them started with consensual sexual activity that fell short of penetration. In theory, both of them could have been prosecuted for that but they weren't. The prosecution's case was that he had penetrative intercourse with the girl, who didn't consent to that. The boy pleaded guilty and was given a suspended sentence of six months - he was not placed on the Sex Offenders Register.

In cases were two underage persons - a boy and a girl - have consensual penetrative intercourse with each other, only the boy may, in theory, be prosecuted (it was the same with the 1935 Act, which was struck down in 2006 for not allowing the defence of mistake as to the complainant's age) but the DPP has discretion over whether or not to prosecute.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,771 ✭✭✭hynesie08

If it was horse manure surely the prosecution would have torn it apart?

I said it before, if he rocked up with a Slovakian sick note and was handed over the keys to the kingdom then there needs to serious questions asked, but it seems like he played the game, and I refuse to be any angrier at him than someone doing the exact same thing who happened to be spit out in the republic

Possibly, but there's definitely a (possibly anecdotal) story of a father having a lad arrested for statutory rape when he caught them in bed with his daughter, who was a year older.

Senior garda sources told The Sunday Times (ST) last weekend that Puska will be banned form the state once he has served his sentence. He will most likely be banned by the justice minister for 10 years - and the ban can be renewed. He is likely to serve 25 years or more in prison because he neither admitted guilt nor expressed remorse, according to ST crime correspondent John Mooney.

• Registered Users Posts: 713 ✭✭✭foxsake

why indeed... maybe cos it was irrelevant to the actual case.

he was on trial for murder in court - it wasn't taxpayer of the year.

whether he was living his best dole life or was a tragic victims of Ireland inhuman construction regime had no baring on the murder , the actual reason he was there. which leads me to a more general note, you do know - or you should perhaps - loadsa stuff is said in court that isn't true nor contested cos it's of zero consequence.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,226 ✭✭✭alan partridge aha

There was a post-2006 case in which a young man pleaded guilty to have sex with a 16-year-old girl - he was mistaken not about the girl's age but the age of consent in the Republic. He got a suspended sentence. His name was mentioned in the press.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,172 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

He was captured on cctv cycling for hours and managed to overpower a camogie player who fought for her life.

I'd love to see his disability report.

To thine own self be true

• Registered Users Posts: 16,544 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Anyone found guilty of helping him cover up his crime should be deported.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,202 ✭✭✭pgj2015

Revenue are useless these days, they dont bother with small fry like that, which is a pity.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 9,202 ✭✭✭pgj2015

They ignore tax evasion in my experience. if someone is making say 30,000 + and paying zero tax on it, they don't care.

What evidence is there of them ignoring fraud? They're duty bound to investigate all such cases. The investigators are already in place and so there's not much additional cost in pursuing all such cases.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭maebee

I'm haunted by the pictures of Ashling tonight. Such a stunning girl in ever way. She had it all. Beauty, intelligence, musical ability, kindness. I'm recently widowed but am grateful for almost 40 years with my OH. Her family have been brutally robbed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,202 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

Look on Twitter, unbelievable the amount her boyfriend is being criticized by the likes of PBP and open borders

• Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭Northernlily

I worked since I was 13. First delivering leaflets, then Super Valu, then Arnotts then the buildings and into Financial Services where today I contribute heavily into our tax system (highest bracket). I left Ireland for 2.5 years in that 23 year span to go to Australia from 29 to 32. When I came home from Australia to restart here - I went to the social welfare office to go on jobseekers for a couple of months and they said NO. I needed to get my teeth sorted and they said no PRSI credits.

How can this piece of **** saunter in and get all he asks for and when our own citizens THAT HAVE CONTRIBUTED genuinely needed help, they have to jump through hoops or are rejected.

This country would sicken the hole of you some days. It is a soft touch. Lazy welfare officers are not asking the questions that need to be asked. I have always worked - i have been paying taxes a long time and for that value we have inadequete hospitals, not enough guards, no prison space, poorly paid nurses and teachers, poor public transport systems, etc. There are probably hundreds of Josef Puska type welfare cases, homegrown aswell.

It is about time the place copped on. Ryan is spot on.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,383 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Us paying him massive welfare is nothing to do with the EU.

That is our choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,363 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

Because it’s easy.

Come to Ireland, work for 6 months while putting your name on the housing list.

Claim disability after 6 months and bingo.

Its piss easy because we are a bunch of mugs.

Your right to stay in an EU, EEA country or Switzerland for up to 90 days could be cancelled if you become an unreasonable burden on the social assistance system of the member state. If you have recently moved to Ireland, have not been able to find work, and have no money to support yourself, the Irish state does not have to pay you social assistance. See ‘Restrictions on freedom of movement' below.

After 90 days, we can deport all EU citizens who can't take care of themselves.

We choose not to do this.

As an EU citizen, you have the right to move to any EU country for a period of up to 3 months as long as you have a valid identity card or passport. If you want to settle in another EU country but you have no intention to take up any work or education there, you need to prove that you:

• have sufficient resources for you and your family during the time you want to stay in your new country
    • have comprehensive health insurance

Reporting your presence and registering your residence

During the first 3 months of your stay in your new country, as an EU citizen, you cannot be required to apply for a residence document confirming your right to live there - although in some countries you may have to report your presence upon arrival.

After 3 months in your new country, you may be required to register your residence with the relevant authority (often the town hall or local police station), and to be issued with a registration certificate.

You will need a valid identity card or passport and:

• proof of comprehensive health insurance
    • proof you can support yourself without needing social assistance benefits: resources may come from any source, including from a third person.

Can you be requested to leave or be deported?

You may live in the other EU country as long as you continue to meet the conditions for residence. If you no longer do so, the national authorities may require you to leave.

In exceptional cases, your host country can deport you on grounds of public policy or public security - but only if it can prove you represent a genuine, present and sufficiently serious threat affecting one of the fundamental interests of society.

The deportation decision or the request to leave must be given to you in writing. It must state all the reasons for your deportation and specify how you can appeal and by when.

Permanent residence

If you have lived legally, meeting the conditions to stay in another EU country for a continuous period of 5 years, you automatically acquire the right of permanent residence there. This means that you can stay in the country as long as you want, you are entitled to be treated as a national of that country and you enjoy more protection against deportation. You can apply for a document certifying permanent residence.

Your continuity of residence is not affected by:

• temporary absences (less than 6 months per year)
    • longer absences for compulsory military service
    • one absence of 12 consecutive months, for important reasons such as pregnancy and childbirth, serious illness, work, vocational training or a posting to another country.

You can lose your right to permanent residence if you live outside the country for more than 2 consecutive years.

If you are economically inactive but you are joining a family member who is an EU citizen residing legally in a host EU country, you can stay there as their dependant.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,716 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

Here's what I think may happen in the next few weeks, some of the Murphy family and Ryan will be asked to appear on the late late show in a fortnight or so, in the meantime pressure may be put on Ryan to soften his statement, and row back somewhat on it and "explain" what he meant on the show... One thing is for sure the powers that be, the msm and the ngo industry are hopping mad at him for those two paragraphs in his statement, they don't want any light shone in that particular direction, they must maintain control

• Registered Users Posts: 7,363 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

Nah, they should call out the hypocrisy of saying Ireland isn't safe for women while talking about her dream to go to Dubai, a legendarily egalitarian society.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,546 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

But the anti-immigration people appear to have completely missed this line in his victim impact statement : "This country needs to wake up. We have to start putting the safety of not only Irish people , but all people in this country who works hard first" i.e. his criticism was not of immigrants or immigration, but the idea of some waster with badness in his heart being allowed to live on benefits for a decade. He's actually arguing that decent, hard working non nationals living in Ireland (the vast majority of non nationals of course) need to be protected as well.

It's an absolute shame that that paragraph has been seized on. Ryan's statement was very lengthy and deeply moving and gave us a very good picture of what the real Ashling Murphy was like - we learned far more about here as a person than we have seen anywhere else before in the press.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,324 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

Wdit

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭DBK1

I know nothing about Strazdas views or posting history but everything they’ve said in the post you quoted is 100% accurate in my view.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,568 ✭✭✭Hamachi

I agree with that person that the victim impact statement was truly moving and gave a deep insight into Ashling, who seemed like a wonderful person, who embodied all that is good about Ireland.

Everything else in that post is utterly self-serving. This is not the place for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭PaoloGotti

Anybody criticising Ryan’s statement is a tool. He is a proper decent person who should be listened to.

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭RobbieV

Who is Ryan?

I'm reading back trying to figure it out. What statement?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,157 ✭✭✭Be right back

Ashling's boyfriend who gave a powerful statement in court. It's on newstalk.

https://www.newstalk.com/news/ashling-murphy-murder-boyfriend-ryan-caseys-victim-impact-statement-in-full-1615521#Echobox=1700235323-1

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement