Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What whisk(e)y are we drinking? (Part 2)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,946 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

Both very nice drops, I don't think you'd be disappointed with either (though I hate telling other people to spend money 🤣)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Beanstalk

I bagged one anyway so might open tonight. I was at an awards event last night where they gave out free samples of Jameson Pot Still as well so might crack that open too and have and Irish night

Both lovely whiskies. The Paddy's Share is definitely a step above the Jameson/paddy/powers/Bushmills tier. A good bit above. You can tell there's a lot more pot still in the mix and it's got a good mouthfeel. The Jameson Pot still is gorgeous. Creamy, kinda like vanilla fudge. Not overly sweet and a nice spiciness too!

• Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭Anaki r2d2

Which did you prefer? Paddy or Jameson? What's the channel on the tv?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,571 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

At this time of year a bottle like the dundalgan wouldnt go to waste in my house. I presume its West cork distillers and ive never had a bad whiskey with their name on it. They aint premium but dont try to be either.

Like the Puca bottle last year (the stout & run one was tasty) if its drinkable on its own then drink it and if not then its ideal for hot whiskeys with some lemon, honey, brown sugar, clove or orange zest.

I dont think you can go wrong trying a bottle like that to be honest.

• Advertisement

You dont think a small distillery being unable to sell their product will have any effect on them?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,975 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

If the survival of a distillery depends on selling all of its inaugural release quickly, then it is probably doomed, anyway.

None of us know the money spent in getting a given distillery to the point of their first release, the running costs involved with keeping it going or the terms at which that capital has been financed. Places like kilowen appear to be done on much smaller budgets than what Ahasgra is spending

What is certain though is that every new startup needs to sell its products and the faster the better.

My reading of this is that this particular distillery has completely miscalculated the market by pitching its product at this price and has underestimated the general level of understanding that people have of Irish whiskey to know that this blended young release is neither special or rare yet they have come to a very populated market with the most expensive first release that has ever been seen.

I wish them ever bit of luck, there is a group of people putting their time effort and money into making a decent product but this type of approach seems lunacy to me and shows a massive lack of understanding of the market

In terms of whiskey produced by a distillery, say, over a 5 year period, its limited inaugural release would be a tiny, tiny percentage of production. Perhaps it's not a great omen for the distillery if their inaugural release doesn't sell well, but, in reality, it probably doesn't really matter in the long run, provided they can produce product at a price that will sell.

I just think you are putting far too much emphasis on one limited release in a distillery's lifetime.

Im just judging a new entrant on their new entry.

Maybe they will have a much different follow up and a better approach down the road

And its far from limited.

• Advertisement

The Jameson edged it but they were both great. It's the whiskey vault on YouTube

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,070 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

Yeah, but thats not really what you initially posted, certainly seemed to me you implied broader implications from this release's pricing, that's what I said was doubtful.

You also implied it was some kind of 'first sign' of trouble ahead...

No biggee though.

Sound from the Burren lads tho they'll deliver for free if you buy that.

The broader implications are the distinct possibility that having a massiveack of understanding of the market will be the rock on which many small businesses perish.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,679 ✭✭✭2011abc

West Cork changed from Cooley sourced whiskey to their own distilled product and it’s all still a bit immature .Hopefully the good stuff will start appearing in coming years .But any of theirs I’ve tasted in last four or five years is not great apart from bog standard stuff.There was a time( the Dha Chasca Sherry casked heyday of €34 Cooley sourced ) I would have gone mad for the ‘idea’ of their five pack of ‘minis’ .But one of my first pandemic splurges was one of their Cask Strengths and a Sherry influenced and they were both VERY disappointing.

I think they do a Lidl /Aldi ale cask at not much over €25 and like the Jamesons Cask Mates it’s sweet and basic but drinkable

Post edited by 2011abc on

• Registered Users Posts: 10,212 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

Lads I am definitely not a fan of standard paddy if honest it would be the last whiskey I would buy

Now the Paddy's share, how good is it?

Paddy’s Share bears no relationship taste wise to Paddy and I heartily recommend it .High malt content , not as ‘hot’ as 47abv% suggests and nice Sherry(?) influence .I’d buy any bottle of it I could find under€35 but there are more rivals to consider if it gets dearer (eg a Tyrconnell at €35 might get the nod over it at €40 .That Tesco Finest Irish Malt seems to have been discontinued .It was nice too at €35 )

Just for fun I set myself a challenge once of trying to blind identify the four main Irish whiskies and came to the following conclusions .Feel free to disagree / add your thoughts/ mock etc

Bushmills ( white -why is the red label so forgotten ?! It sounds a bit ‘weird’ …why have they not killed it off ? Is it actually ok ?) Best of the four main Irish whiskies ? A bit ‘variable’ sometimes more or less Smokey ? More malt than the rest

Powers .The most ‘pot-stilly’ , peppery bite , grand drinker .If in the right mood even better than Bush

Paddy . The most ‘grainy’ , pepperminty , prob my least favourite

Jamesons .Bit of a ‘middle of the road ‘/Jack of All Trades , for those who aren’t ‘in the know’ /Rihanna fans ?!:-)

Theres an old RTÉ radio interview where a master distiller could identify mixes of the main four !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭tphase

Completely different animal to standard Paddy, well worth trying and an absolute steal if you can get it at €25. Tesco had a deal on it last week, best price I've seen. Regular price is €45. 47% so it packs a punch but lots going on flavour-wise

Had to pick from the ‘cheapies’ in Lidl .Went for Ben Bracken speyside Malt .Happy enough .The quoted ‘banana bread’ is def there .Tastes like a poor man’s Glenfiddich 15 with far far less Sherry .Better than Bush ? Different ….You can’t go wrong with the Aldi Scotch 8 year old and this .How's the West Cork Single Malt these days ? They had their full advertised stock in Lidl last night .You’d have to be quare bad at Maths to buy the BenBracken three minis ‘tasting set ‘ .Equivalent bottle price of €71 !!!!I think the muchmlived but sadly price increased four pot still set actually worked out cheaper than full bottles due to the very under priced Barry Crockett 50ml sample !

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,886 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Method & Madness tonight. Rye & Malt. Pure class.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,212 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

Last tasted paddy a year ago

Just tasted grainy kinda metallic just not for me tbh

Fair enough. I just think that Paddy is often dissed by people who probably haven't tasted it since they were teenagers (if at all) and are just repeating the much held notion that Paddy is rubbish, perpetrated by the fact that for a couple of generations, Paddy was the cheapest whisky available in Ireland.

Obviously, you weren't doing that

Personally, I think it's fine, no better or worse than Jameson.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,946 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

Interesting, I haven't had Paddy since I was a teenager and always assume it's rubbish 😝

I'll give it another go in a pub sometime

Honestly, it's much better than people think (unless you've tasted it properly and don't like it).

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,070 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

I haven't had Paddy since 1997, and yes, it's true that I didn't like it back then. Probably not so much a branding issue as just a very undeveloped palate.

I'd be curious to try it again.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,771 ✭✭✭hynesie08

Paddy is a better with both red lemonade and in a hot whiskey than Jameson was a hill my grandfather was willing to die on, and we lived 7 minutes from the Jameson "distillery".

He was right too.

Paddy's Share was a very pleasant surprise for me at the €25 quid i got it for. It would be a great whiskey to share with people on a kind of 'let me change your mind' talking point.

My wife was ordering wine from O'Briens for Christmas and so I through a cheeky Kilbeggan Pot Still into the mix. Anyone had it?

• Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭Anaki r2d2

How many bottles do people have open at any one time? I have 6 opened.

But would open more but any harm having them open for a while? Will take me a while to empty them all.

• Advertisement

Depends on who you ask!

I'd say no, no harm, really, but try to avoid almost empty bottles for too long as the more air in the bottle, the greater chance of change.

Advertisement