Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Game News 2.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,945 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

I'll take that! For €10 it's a good deal.

New mode called No Return that's rogue-like and new levels that were cut from the original game.

Includes native 4K output in Fidelity Mode, 1440p upscaled to 4K in Performance Mode, an Unlocked Framerate option for TVs that support VRR, increased texture resolution, increased Level-of-Detail distances, improved shadow quality, animation sampling rate, and more.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Still don’t think it particularly needs much of an upgrade when it’s already had a PS5 patch, but a tenner for all the new stuff seems pretty reasonable even if most of it sounds fairly disposable. Having playable cut content in unfinished form is a pretty cool peek behind the curtain, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,811 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Yupp I'll definitely bite for a tenner. That new mode could be like a lite factions, interesting to see how that plays out.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,845 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

Tenner, happy with that. I don't think they would get away with a full price release unless you are totally new.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,038 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Someone at Sony must have fell and banged their head to approve that with thier price gouging over the last few years.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,675 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

10 euro seems perfectly reasonable for a PS5 upgrade of Part II with those added features. I don't know where the idea that this was going to be a 80 euro remake came from. Part 1's price tag was presumedly a reflection of the cost of the remaking the game and there's a legitimate argument that they remained too faithful to the gameplay of the original to justify that price, but it unless you were totally blind it clearly was not just a remaster and a lot of time, work and money had been put into it. I think 40-50 euro would have been a fair price for Part 1. The PS4 version of TLOU always seemed more like a port than a remaster to me anyway and I found it bizarre how people talked about it like it was already a major upgrade because it really wasn't and certainly wasn't good enough to be released on PC in 2023.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,280 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Hard to argue for a tenner upgrade and the extra mode that will let you play with the hilarious proximity mines.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I think almost all criticisms of TLOU Part 1 would have been alleviated had they released it at a reasonable price of even 50 quid. Obviously there’d still be people who’d consider that too expensive to buy again - quite reasonably - but it’d be harder to argue with.

No doubt a fair amount of work went into it, predominantly visually, but it’s still fundamentally the same game underneath it all. I’m also fairly resistant to the idea that relatively modern games need to be updated to the cutting edge graphically. The original TLOU certainly betrays its PS3 origins in the remastered version, but it’s still immensely playable and handsomely staged. The idea that it or any other game needs to be majorly revised frequently is one I disagree with, as I do think there’s much value in letting the original versions stand as they are - outside of basic frame rate and resolution updates to better leverage newer hardware. That said, the new release of TLOU2 sounds more like a special edition DVD set than a total remake, so harder to object.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,589 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

I wonder if they'll do an upgrade path or charge a full €80 for the rumoured Horizon Zero Dawn PS5 version next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭PixelPlayer

Personally, I prefer playing remastered versions. Games that are janky and dated get turned off pretty quickly. Unless the game is so compelling I can forgive it. Wolfenstein The New Order for example. Dated but immensely fun to play none the less.

Maybe that is the case for TLOU 1, I don't know. I'm just installing it now and it's remastered all the way. If I'm bring totally honest, I'd have no interest in playing the PS3 version even if there was no remaster.

Post edited by PixelPlayer on

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,280 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

It's a colossal waste of time, effort and money that should have been put into a bloodborne remaster and PC port.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭KillerShamrock

I have just gone through TLOU part one having only played the original when it came out never touched the remaster. Picked up part 2 for a tenner a while back and just started it as in just started in Seattle. So may drop it till this is out rather than going through it twice in quick succession, and play horizon forbidden west or TOTK instead to tie me over

• Registered Users Posts: 7,875 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

• Registered Users Posts: 7,875 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

Ugh. The Gamer Network group - including the likes of Eurogamer and Rock Paper Shotgun - has been one of the few gaming-centric media groups not completely hollowed out in recent years by corporate shenanigans. Now ReedPop is putting them up for sale :/ Hopefully they wind up somewhere OK, but recent history hasn’t been encouraging.

Theyre selling their ‘shareholding’ in Digital Foundry too, suggesting they at least have some degree of independence from the rest of the group.

I really hope they end up somewhere good as they are one of the last bastions or videogame journalism as well as critical reviews.

Going to be sickening seeing all the Muppets that were baying for blood over the horizon and days gone reviews wallowing in this.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,324 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

That's deeply sucky news; seems like Games Media is truly getting hollowed out and tossed about by a succession of bad actors. It's maddening,. At least the likes of the former Kotaku writers or The Escapist video team are setting up their own independent voices...

This week brought up another reminder at how bad videogame discourse has become. Mike Ross complained that his game didn't do as well as it should because he didn't want to pay influencers to cover his games.

Cue mike Ross getting dog piled by 'content creators' getting angry at him for what looked like it was because he was exposing their grift. Some of these cretins were requesting up to 40k to play someone's game on live stream.

Crazy thing is a lot of these creators are the ones that go bananas about 'ethics in games journalism's when the people writing high quality pieces and staying within actual advertising and journalistic ethical codes are getting paid peanuts.

Mike Ross in the end had to apologise publically because of the power these cretins wield to drag his name through the dirt.

In the last hour now there's been two back to back Roblox codes articles of Eurogamer which would t be the normal kind of article they'd put out. It's weird.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,845 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

Digital foundry are my go to for anything before I buy it. Including Hardware & games etc.

They just tell you about the thing and how it performs. They are normally enthusiastic about it too.

I pulled the trigger on the OLED deck after watching their video.

Fingers crossed they are able to buy out that share holding and be independent.

They liked Days Gone too so that immediately makes them better than the rest. 😝

Unfortunately the industry is only now realising that giving money to streamers is a giant waste of time when it comes to shifting units, but it has come at a cost for all the written word medium that was hollowed out over the last decade.

• Advertisement

While I find John great on digital Foundry for highlighting some hidden gems (he convinced me to get ace combat 7) and I really like his end of year best of lost, he's not the most critical of games and tends to like everything even if it's outrageously mid and kind of excuse some poor games if they have fancy tech. Like Days Gone.

DF does seem to be separate from Eurogamer so I imagine nothing will change there and the reed pop share will be a non controlling share.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,589 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

Always liked Richard Leadbetter since his days at Mean Machine and as editor of the Official Sega Saturn mag

Yep he is a legend but I find he doesn't really give an opinion on the game and instead focuses on the tech whereas John will give a review in his tech analysis as well.

Not saying John is a bad reviewer just our opinions can differ (I respect his retrogame opinions though). He just isn't as cynical as me when it comes to a lot of newer games.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,036 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Mean Machine?

Might even have the first issue somewhere in my parents' attic.

Lawsuit being taken against take two for predatory microtransactions

• Registered Users Posts: 29,811 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Very interesting to see how this goes. I lodged multiple complaints for the years for the same thing (just so I have an official record in case they turn around and say 'oh, no one ever complained about it before' but they always point me to their T&C's which state they have the right to do what the **** they want. It would be glorious to see Take Two take a hit on this but their ceo makes so much money from mrx, I imagine he has a team of lawyers to make it airtight so no one can take it away from him.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,964 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

They brought it on themselves. They've basically created a yearly release game for full price which requires further money to be spent in order to immediately be able to enjoy online play, or hundreds of hours of a grind on a lot of non-basketball related activites (ie: in game ads sponsorships), complete with a mode with a pay to win mechanic. And then they shut down servers relatively quickly to force you to a new game to start all over again. Absolute scumbags. I genuinely hope they crash and burn and the NBA license gets opened up and EA (of all people to hope on) create a great basketball game with the ex-devs of 2K.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,284 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Dragons Dogma 2 coming March 22nd next year, can't friggin wait!

Embracer - almost certainly the single-worst company in the history of video games? The Free Radical folk didn’t even get a chance to put a game out after being resurrected in 2021. Corporate vandalism of a ‘this should be illegal’ scale.

• Advertisement

Bethesda has hired a bunch of retr0gamer's to respond to negative steam reviews and tell the reviewers that they are wrong about the game.

Advertisement