Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTÉ admits paying Tubridy €345,000 more than declared

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭LambshankRedemption

You can get from Dublin to London in less time than you can get from Dublin to Clifden. I'm sure he will be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭gotaf

Seems to be pension contributions miscalculation. Not something I'd mention when stating my salary tbf?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭malinheader

I suppose any little bit helps to distract from a disgusting totally stupendous salary now funded by the government.

Kevin Backhurst. The "new" Director General of RTE. The one bringing in sweeping changes. An end to underhand business deals.

Funnily enough I think the News is about the only thing RTE does well, and actually they do it very well.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,059 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

No one will add employer pension contributions when asked what they are paid, nonsense story

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,023 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Well yeah, if you go by chopper you can be in clifden quicker.

It takes hours to fly anywhere before you even get on the plane

• Registered Users Posts: 5,386 ✭✭✭Clo-Clo

RTE is now a f**king shambles, it’s entire board is corrupt and they all need to be removed including the new Kevin lad.

Shut down that disaster area 2FM and drop kick a lot of the “talent” they claim to have, as they are all contractors then no redundancy should be required.

Enough is enough now, they are all dragging down RTE because of the shower of greedy f**kers who are the same as Tubs. The Noel clown as well should be banned from all engagement with RTE, someone wants to work in Rte then don’t hire him. Simples

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,528 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

He'd be doing well to get from central London/Islington to South County Dublin under 3 and half hours.

I think he did well to get the gig and did it quite quickly too.

I couldn't read the Indo article in full but the gist of it seems quite celebratory- as in RT has moved on to conquer the British airwaves as other Irish notables have done in the past.

It fails to note that they it did through ambition while they were in their prime unlike Ryan who hadn't planned it and who's career was on the wind down.

Like many I too lived in London, it's a young man's move. This move would've looked dymanic and ambitious for him 25+ years ago. Now it just kinda looks...sadly awkward.

Like a newly seperated, drunk middle aged woman hitting Leeson Street with her daughter's friends on a Wednesday night.

But good luck to him all the same.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,666 ✭✭✭DebDynamite

It’s Tubridy’s thing! He’s even got his own thread 😁

Edit - see it was already posted up thread!

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,528 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

That's when the plane takes off and lands.

He's hardly going to be pitching up a campervan at the end of the runways.

According to Ash J Williams it takes hours to fly anywhere. This is incorrect.

I dont really understand what your point is. The original post I was quoting was concerned about Ryans move to a foreign country. I was making the point that it is as close to where he is now as parts of the country he lives in. He seems to love Cliffden so I used that as an example.

• From Islington one can get to & through London City Airport pdq. Getting through & especially from Dublin to Monkstown takes time in traffic. I’ve flown into/from LCY, and it’s pretty cool.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,482 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Let’s get the thread back on topic, and forget the fcukkery about airline flight times..

The main problem is that there seems to be no real concentration on the ‘talent’ and the outrageous wedge they trouser.

Now, of course I know that that’s not a huge player in reducing costs, these are the work practices, the number of grades, the hidden expenses, the pensions, the poor management, the hours worked, the side line gigs….etc etc and so on and so forth.

But ……these punters are where the rubber hits the road with John Q Taxpayer and as a member of that coterie myself, I would be ‘incandescent’ if these chancers were given any room to carry on as they have up to this.

As the contracts come up for renewal they should be given a number with a take it or leave it tag on it.

And it should be well short of €250k ….

This f ukkery about reducing hours to maintain relativity should be blown out of the water…..rapido.

Are you going to check in first? Go through security? No delays?

Clifton is far easier

We need someone in government to say "no Kevin, that's not reform that's just moving figures around "

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭supereurope

Only in Ireland. I've been in London all week and I can assure you there's not been a peep from any UK media outlet about this. He's starting from zero over there and Virgin isn't a major player. We will, of course, be frequently told over here that Virgin is a massive station and Ryan is a huge star in the UK.

Many of the companies Ive worked for had a policy of allowing contractors for about 2 years and either giving them the oppertunity of going fulltime employee, or just renewing their contract for a further 6 month term but telling them it will not be renewed again.

Contractors are convenient for a company for maybe a short term project, but work out more expensive for long term engagements.

So, why is Ray DArcy, or Joe Duffy, both on the airwaves for 10+ years still contractors? That would be a quick money saving exercise for KB. Give the pair of them notice that their contract is not going to be renewed or is being rescinded, and tell them to apply for their positions as RTE employees. Pension, healthcare, but under the new policy of no-one earning more than the DG. If they don't like it, they can follow Tubridy to Virgin UK. I'm sure Joe especialy would be welcomed with open arms, assuming londoners can understand him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,482 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

We do Ash, and we need the taxpayer to stand up and call out any obfuscation on genuine reform.

John Q is a weak player in all this, all he/she does is fund this cartel of media, print media, and to a certain extent , the Govt.

It’s in all those mediums interests in to keep RTE wedges high as they, as it were, ride on the slipstream. .

Remember that my friends, all these scones have a ‘dog in the fight’.

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭supereurope

It's the same in the area I work in...contracting is a short- or medium-term solution, it is never a 10-year solution. Like your employers, contractors have to leave or move to permanent after two years.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭Karppi

There's always a queue at the metal detectors in Athlone, though 😀

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭techman1

Like many I too lived in London, it's a young man's move. This move would've looked dymanic and ambitious for him 25+ years ago. Now it just kinda looks...sadly awkward.

Like a newly seperated, drunk middle aged woman hitting Leeson Street with her daughter's friends on a Wednesday night.

great description I laughed at that, he could give John Delaney a ring he seems to have made a good go there but at least he had the business acumen and wheeler dealer experience from the FAI, Tubridy has none of that he is fresh off the boat literally.

Now Ryan is plying his trade in brexit Britain, Im sure he had alot to say about that on his radio show which would have been the irish establishment position. Now his audience could include london cabbies and "white van man" He will not want former clips from his radio show re surfacing.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,610 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

To be fair I think D'Arcy is an rte employee.

Joe isn't of course, and he just signed a new contract at 350k until 2025, so he can't be forced to work for 250k like KB is promising.

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭Hyperbollix

Been in London all week and the first I heard of this was when I flicked on a couple of Irish radio podcasts and of course logged in here!

A fascinating development. I really can't fathom the thinking behind this from the perspective of his new employers. Is it really as nonsensical as equating his household name status in Ireland with talent and an ability to build an audience? Do they really think he is the next Wogan or Graham Norton?

I would love to see the details on the deal NK did here. Money aside, it's going to be a major shock to the system for Tubs, to go from effectively a public sector mindset of waste, duplication, needless "roles" and performance and ratings being a secondary issue, to the cut throat world of a British, commercial radio station owned by the Murdoch's where numbers are the only barometer that matters. He will actually have to do 6 to 8 hour days now too because I'm going to guess there will be no army of assistants employed to do his job for him.

Like or loath Chris Evans or Graham Norton, they are hugely able broadcasters who make it look effortless. The type of people who could be dropped into any tv or radio situation and could make a fist of it. Either could easily have moved to the US. Tubs really stands out like a sore thumb amongst them.

It will be intriguing to see how this goes. I wish him all the best and many, many..................MANY years of success in the UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

This Kevin Bakhurst getting his salary mixed up just proves why we can't give RTE extra money every year.

They can't be trusted with the money. It wouldn’t surprise me if there are pay rises next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,610 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

If he was to be the next Wogan or Norton would he not have made it outside of Ireland before now? He's 50.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭jmcc

Being a bit cynical, Murdoch/Wireless may have got a bargain in that they've filler for Q102 with a known Irish name and Tubridy can present his Mid Morning Matters show in Virgin Radio in the UK. Apart from it simply being a Virgin Radio gig, Murdoch/Wireless effectively have Tubridy presenting two shows (one syndicated) for the price of one (though that may not be certain until the details of the deal emerge).

Regards...jmcc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭Gen.Zhukov

Dunno D'Arcy's status now but he certainly did have an agent and it's not too hard to figure out who that agent was/is

‘Ray will sell himself as being primarily a radio star and that’s what he came to RTÉ to do,’ said the agent who represents some of Ireland’s top talent.

That's from an article when Ray's agent was throwing a hissy over Ray being dumped from TV due to him being rubbish

I personally think Ray still has his agent

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement