Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin GAA Discussion Thread: Mod Note - No 'Dublin Dominance' chat allowed!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭rolling boh

Proberly the least known sponsor for a while for a lot of people like myself know little about them but hopefully it will benefit both parties .

• Registered Users Posts: 7,709 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

You're not suggesting population and funding gives teams an unfair advantage I hope

• Registered Users Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭dunnerc

Yea Counties like Dublin , Kerry, Cork , Galway have an unfair advantage with funding and population over the likes of Leitrim Longford Sligo 🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 1,575 ✭✭✭YabaDabaDooley

We should be seeing the lads take home seven or eight All Stars tomorrow night. I would give one to Cluxton, Mick Fitz, Lee Gannon, Jamesie, Fenton, Costelloe and Basquel with possible wins for Howard, J Small and Mannion's.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,672 ✭✭✭Trampas

i wouldn’t be shocked if Stephen doesn’t get one. For all this honours and only 6? All stars. I wouldn’t surprised if the five player of the year to Clifford. Don’t agree with it but we will find out later

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,494 ✭✭✭dobman88

James McCarthy is the POTY and him not even being nominated shows how completely nonsensical these popularity contests are.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭ArielAtom

5 All Stars for the AI champions, great awards altogether. Mannion overlooked is farcical. But sure it makes people happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭corny

No All Star for Mannion. Says it all.

You can be sure if Kerry won the final they’d have double the number they got

• Registered Users Posts: 2,368 ✭✭✭Gael85

Mannion should of been in ahead of Sean O'Shea.

• Advertisement

Five All Stars as low as i can remember for an All Ireland winning team. Brian Fenton was my Player of the Year, also.

Clifford wins player of the year. I guess it helped him not playing the final otherwise he might have not won it

Is that 3 now (Keegan, Moron) who’ve won player of the year and Dublin win the all Ireland

Mannion was brilliant in the final and Costelloe was poor in same game but up to then Costelloe was having a great year. I would have had Costelloe just ahead of Mannion. Wasn't to be for either and five is our lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭Dont Be at It

He really isn't. And I say that as a neutral. He had a poor final and probably should have seen the line. As bad as everyone says Clifford was in the final he still set up or scored probably 1-5 or 1-6? And the pass for the goal was the goal really - put it on a plate for him.

As I said before Kerry wouldn't have even made the semi without Clifford. Clifford's problem is that everyone judges him by his own incredible standard. Compare him to everyone else on a level playing pitch and he's miles ahead.

I'm also a huge Mccarthy fan by the way so this is anti Dublin stuff. I think he deserved a POTY so where along the line but not this year - it would have been a lifetime achievement job if he won it. Best player of the last decade for sure.

I agree James had a poor final and was close enough to seeing the line. But Fenton was the most consistent player this year and had a great final too. Not often the winning team doesn't get the Player of the Year award.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,975 ✭✭✭Xander10

Yep. I gave up on these pointless GAA awards years ago

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭corny

It's not even close though. I'm one of few Dubs who doesn't buy the hype that Fitzsimons put manners on Clifford. He really didn't. He did as well as any 35 year old could do against a dangerous forward and in truth they both deserve credit. Clifford played well. He'll kick himself that he took poor options at times but he played well. That said he wasn't the best forward on the pitch and he was nowhere the best player on the pitch. Fenton pissed on the lot of them when the chips were down. It's galling, but oh so predictable, that his brilliance was ignored. He's in good company though. A generation of Dubs have received scant recognition on a personal level while eclipsing their rivals at EVERY turn.

Yes that's three of our last six All Ireland wins where a Dublin player has not won Player of the Year.

Only happened a couple of times last two decades that i can recall. Bernard Brogan won it in 2010 when Cork won All Ireland and Stevie McDonnel Armagh won in 2003 the year Tyrone beat them in final.

Shows you the consistency of Fenton that he should have won his 3rd Player of the Year tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭mobby

As someone said pointless awards even more so after tonight. I don't think Clifford played well in the final, more like cost them a win, Indeed a Great footballer, but no way POTY this year. Clifford is the darling of the GAA and Media loves him.

• Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭Tomaldo

No All Star for Mannion, FGS. I know they play in different positions but I believe he deserved it more than James Mc. MOTM in the final and his part in the killer 2nd goal against Mayo, as the defender tried to let it go over the end line. Real "men against boys" moment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭ArielAtom

I’m sure the lads that are perceived as being overlooked would rather have a Celtic in their back pocket than a consolation prize of an All Star, I know I would. Congrats to all.

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭Dont Be at It

Yeah, fair enough on Fenton alright. Not much in it, mind. I think Clifford has done 2 or 3 extraordinary things across the championship that stuck in people's minds - the no look snap pass from the sideline against tyrone for example.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,805 ✭✭✭An Ciarraioch

TBF, it's the intercounty panels themselves, rather than the journalists, who have the ultimate pick - and Fenton should have won it purely on the basis of it being neck-and-neck between the pair before the final. As for the team itself, five is unusually low for All-Ireland winners, largely because of Derry's run this season, but unless you put Mannion in for Smith, and Costello for Basquel, the selection was largely along expected lines.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,857 ✭✭✭billyhead

Clifford will get a few Poty awards in his career unlike Fenton. Not only did Fenton deserve it this year but because he won't have many more chances to win one he should have been given it this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,368 ✭✭✭Gael85

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭rrs

Clifford was very wasteful against Tyrone and in the final. He put up great scores but I don't think he was player of the year. McCarthy had a poor final also. Brendan Rogers performed well In all the games

• Registered Users Posts: 4,130 ✭✭✭Did you smash it

He also produced the greatest feat of individual skill in Gaelic football I’ve ever seen in the Tyrone game. So even on his bad days…

• Registered Users Posts: 9,857 ✭✭✭billyhead

• Registered Users Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭rolling boh

Wouldn't pay too much heed to these awards once we win the big prize that's all that matters to me. I used to look at them when we were not winning anything in the hope of better times ahead but once we started winning I lost interest. I think that the fact we are not dependent on any one player to win might go against us sometimes .We have a couple of other lads to step up when others are having a difficult game and that's the way I like it .Clearly no surprise DC won player of the year with everybody fawning over him any time he plays .He is am outstanding player all the same .

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,349 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Ah yeah, couldn't begrudge Clifford the win to be honest, played great for club and county, and even even his dip in the final is a bit overstated to be honest.

To do all that in one of the toughest years of his life? Yeah, I personally thought that he was head and shoulders above everyone else.

Advertisement