Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

General Premier League Thread 2023-24 Mod Note in op 27/6/23 And 21/05/24

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,979 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

You must be reading it wrong. I said the top jersey sellers are all there due to success. I also said that success makes teams more popular in the same post. A player isn't getting popular on his own, the team becomes popular and that makes him a bigger star.

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Suvarnabhumi

I don't think they'll get to choose their punishment (if they get one).

They have irrifutable evidence that everything is above board anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭Bluebb993

Had a ticket for spurs at home myself last year which turned out to be the weekend the quenn died. All of us flew over for the weekend anyway and we all handed back the tickets for the rescheduled game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,463 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

I tend to believe that the situations with Everton and Chelsea are being pursued with a view to setting a precedent for the City case.

City will doubtlessly claim they are being singled out, with these separate cases that gets blown out of the water.

I'd like to think the Premier League's end game is to really harshly punish City, time will tell, but it really should be the outcome, relegation etc should all be on the cards.

Post edited by nullzero on

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,115 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

isn't the Everton case more clear cut than City - i.e. Everton exceeded the loss limit, and admitted it but pleaded special circumstances.

City have fiddled the books to make all their dubious deals look legit, and the PL has to prove that against a club with bottomless resources for lawyers and accountants.

Everton will stay up this year, as Dyche has started to implement his style and there are at least 4 much worse teams. But the teams that were relegated last year should definitely be suing for damages.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,644 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

The Premier League:Strong on the Weak, but Weak on the Strong!

I've no problem with punishing Everton, but let the punishment be consistent for everyone. That's not happening... by the time they conclude their cases (x115) against City, it will be pointless, the big rich clubs will have moved on to a Super League of some sorts and the punishment will be pointless.

Nobody cares, the likes of Everton are small potatoes and are disposable. They gambled on winning the race to build their new stadium before they crashed.l,and it looks like they lost that race. They can still survive in the EPL though, and I hope they do, they are starting to play well enough and there are some poor sides at the bottom of the league.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,463 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

If they don't punish City the Premier League loses all authority, let City off it paves the way for the return of the Super League and it will be driven by City and Newcastle because there will be no sporting authority to challenge them.

It isn't just about putting City in their place, it's also about retaining their own relevance long term.

Glazers Out!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,798 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

What would be your solution? Deduct the points from Manchester City now and if they beat the case in a few years give them back? Everton were found guilty, there has yet to be a ruling on Manchester City so we don't know if the punishment is consistent because it hasn't happened yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,878 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

If City go unpunished after this I can see a lot of fans losing interest in the league and switching off. The credibility of the league is on the line I feel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,161 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,064 ✭✭✭✭eh i dunno

So if the relegated clubs sue Everton for loss of earnings what happens if city get sanctions. Will all the clubs that finished fifth for years then sue them millions for loss of champions league earnings. The premier league is going to have some nightmare on its hands after this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,979 ✭✭✭doc_17

Let Man City, Newcastle, Chelsea go to the super league. Good riddance.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,030 ✭✭✭pavb2

Read this a few months ago a bit tongue in cheek

If Man City were to be stripped of their titles:

Man United and Liverpool would get 3 titles each.

Stoke and Watford would be FA Cup winners.

Arsenal, Villa, Chelsea, Sunderland and Liverpool would be League Cup winners.

But Spurs still wouldn't win anything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,720 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

The new football regulator will sort it all out fairly , just as FiFA has become newly virtuos, sure ther now awarding the WC to Saudi , just like John Delany was going to sort out the FAI , how could anyone be cynical regarding the peoples game

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,037 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

The idea of the super league was sort of the opposite though - it was being built on the idea of more TV/streaming revenue going straight to the clubs, but with much much tighter and more controlled rules on spending and wages to be more equitable. So I wonder if it'd be the other way around - that after a rake of seasons of City dominating while hundreds of charges hang over their head, that some of the other big English and European clubs push to leave again for something more competitive.

In fairness they did win the bravery award a few weeks back when they got pumped 4-1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,661 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

From reading this, it would seem that Everton were given multiple chances to get their house in order, but continued to take the piss.

TBH they should count themselves lucky the deduction came in a season that Burnley, Sheffield Utd and Luton are in the division, and rank awful.

“Recklessness” was the Premier League’s lawyers’ view of Everton’s continued spending on players. As for the selling of them, it was not the case that Covid was hampering Everton in the transfer market, the Premier League said, rather it was the fact there was “no ready purchaser for those players at the prices Everton was seeking”.

😁

I look forward to City and/or Chelsea recieving a deduction that will send them to a lower league in outer space, should they be found guilty of their sets of charges.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,389 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,103 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

The points deduction for Everton is kinda both fair and unfair.

It's fair as they broke the rules, continued to spend awful frivolously, and so deserve to be punished accordingly. But at the same time it only becomes fair when both Chelsea & Man City are punished accordingly, and to a higher degree. To punish just Everton and not those 2 is unfair IMO.

Am I getting this right? You are saying the Super league is less likely if City get punished than if they don't?

Add Liverpool, Arsenal and United and the Premier league would be great, super competitive every season.

If VAR did it then one team gets punished and the next gets away with it.

• Advertisement

There's no chance anybody will switch off. Unless you think United, Liverpool and Arsenal fans are going to. It doesn't affect the fans of ordinary teams who have never qualified for the Champions league. They couldn't care less about it.

The only fans I hear whining about it a lot are United fans. You hear it from some Liverpool fans as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,389 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

As regards Everton, I predict they appeal and get a slap on the wrist.

Between this and the VAR nonsense I'm certain people will start to turn against the product. To dismiss that notion is just burying one's head in the sand. In my opinion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,286 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

selling players is not recorded as revenue as players are assets, leading to a profit/loss on disposal. anyone using that to justify city's revenue is incorrect.

I've only taken utd and city into account cos lazy.

i would say city's commercial revenue is not over-stated. but the source of the commercial revenue and whether it is at fair market value is the issue.

city's TV revenue is what is it due to doing very well, but without the initial commercial stuff that success never comes. if they are found guilty i would hope all titles are stripped and relegated to tier 5.

i also think city will use the circular argument of how well they are doing now to justify inflated sponsorship deals in the past (and possibly present).

https://www.mancity.com/annualreport2023/

City's finances for the latest reporting year could well be spot on, on paper..

However, along the way there was definitely some sort of dodgy accounting to get them to where we are today. Inflated sponsorship deals for example.

The Premier league investigation is for a specific time frame AFAIK.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,113 ✭✭✭the whole year inn

Should Leicester ,Burnley and Leeds not sue the Premier League ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,657 ✭✭✭The Rooster

The City accounts are technically 100% correct, but it’s the commercial revenue deals that make up the commercial revenue that are falsified. To say City get more than 12% commercial revenues than United, the biggest brand in British football, is just a joke. And much moreso when those deals or their predecessors were signed when City had won nothing for a couple of generations.

The TV revenues are, at first glance, genuine, but only because the success bought by the fake commercial revenue has allowed them to earn extra tv revenues. So that means they are effectively equally inflated too.

Matchday revenue is the fairest reflection (even then City’s unfairly gained success will have of course have brought in an element of extra matchday revenues it otherwise wouldn’t have, but let’s put that aside). If you apply the same percentage to the other streams as matchday, then total revenue would be 342m. So they’re revenues are overinflated by 370m for the year.

It’s not easy to prove, but maybe that’s why it’s taking so long, rather than them trying to brush it under the carpet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,218 ✭✭✭POKERKING

Not true though is it? City beat spurs in the league cup a couple of years ago a few days after Jose was sacked.

Be careful taking everything you read as fact….

Delued moron? Nice one! God bless the countries accountants!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,042 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

You are correct on the first paragraph, mistake on my part. I did mention this in a passing post I made, the points made elsewhere still stand even with this.

Sorry I edited my comment to include the word cup…spurs would have won the league cup.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,042 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

I should have twigged that from the mention of Jose’s sacking

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,728 ✭✭✭golfball37

The city charges all relate to before 2018 afaik

Suggesting that matchday revenue equates to European and worldwide earnings is ridiculous.

A team can have a huge fan base abroad who spend money on jerseys, kits and memorabilia.

During the summer they ran out of merchandise in Japan where tickets were sold out for both matches in no time, sold out in Korea in 30 minutes.

That doesn't relate to matchday revenue unless you are including Asian matches.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭giveitholly

Will there be an investigation from 2018 onwards to see if City have broken anymore rules?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,866 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

This is a much easier case to make than the one against City or Chelsea so it is happening first. That's it in a nutshell so the talk of how can they be charged when X & Y have not is nonsense. That is not to say that you would not hope that long term they will also be punished and that perhaps the punishment here is establishing some sort of precedent for those cases in the future in terms of points deductions etc.

They will appeal and it will probably end up being about half the number of points deducted. They will not get relegated because there are some very poor teams in the premiership.

Kit sales don't really count towards clubs revenue though, about 10% ish of any revenue from kit sales goes to the club. The manufacturers pay the clubs for the rights to sell those kits and that's why they pay the 50-70m a year to do it, as they then get the remaining 90%.

Some clubs, like Liverpool for example, have accepted a lower payment per year from Nike but a much higher commission (around 20-25% iirc) on the jersey sales and I think it's higher on some LFC branded items. Arsenal might have a similar set up but don't know the figures.

One of the drivers of why Liverpool broke their contract with New Balance and instead moved to Nike, a year early, is because New Balance regularly sold out of kits and couldn't keep up with the demand. This was at a time where Liverpool won the CL & PL in successive seasons. Nike were able to keep up with the demand after that, and posted record kit sales at the start of the 20-21 season. Having shops regularly sold out of kits might sound a good thing, but in reality it's not for the massive clubs. And the levels might be different. Man City kits 'sold out' could be 50 but Man Utd's 'sold out' could be 500. We don't know those numbers but I would assume that they are not the same.

You have worked backwards incorrectly there.

Citys total revenue for the year is 720m made up of:

Matchday revenue 71.9m

Commercial Revenue 341.4

Broadcasting 299.4m

If you take away your overvaluation of 370m that means their revenue was 350m.

I think even the biggest cynic doesnt see this as possible if we take for granted that broadcasting revenue of nearly 300m is 100percent correct.

Personally I thought the matchday revenue would be higher given the investments in the corporate side in the previous years and also with how they have monetized the surrounding areas of the ground on match day so 71.9 doesnt seem too debatable(despite the cynics saying city have no fans).

Commercial revenue is made mostly of deals with

Etihad

Puma

Nissan

OKX

Asahi

Nexen Tyres

Etisalat

full list here https://www.mancity.com/club/partners

There is an awful lot of huge legitimate companies making up the bulk of that revenue that would need to be complicit here.

City dont detail the exact breakdown of where their commercial revenue is coming from so we cant be certain of the breakdown but every deal would need to be at fair market value or they would be incredibly stupid and it would be a slam dunk for the Premier league and we know most clubs commercial revenue comes from shirt/stadium/sleeve/trainingwear/car sponsorship etc.

As for why citys is bigger than uniteds, if I was head of United Commercial division I would be asking the same question. I am pretty sure if united went out and got all the same partners as city for example an asian betting partner(this is an example they may have one already) they could command a higher fee than city. Maybe they are as incompetent as their football department? Maybe they took their eye off the ball when they were the biggest commercial team in the world just like the football side? Either way they should be number 1 and they should have a blueprint coming from across the city in how to do it. Itd be one of the easier jobs in football in my opinion.

The term fair market value is a bit of a cover up though.

If a made up shell company comes in and gives Luton 60m a year to put their logo on the front of their kit, just because Man Utd get it after years of commercial success, they can use the term 'fair market value'. But is it fair? Or just using one deal as the barometer.

That's what Man City is built upon. Ethiad came in and looked at the deal that Arsenal had with Emirates at the time. Arsenal, who at the time were consistently in the CL and challenging for the PL, were receiving x million for stadium and kit sponsorship. Arsenal were somewhat successfully commercially and a recognised name across Europe. Man City were not a recognised name, were not in the CL consistently and were not challenging for the PL, but were able to use this Arsenal Emirates deal as the base value, throw a few million on top, and call this 'fair market value'. Newcastle have used this and done the same recently.

It's why Man City abstained in the PL vote around Newcastle and related party sponsorship. They knew what they built the (recent success of the) club on.

• Site Banned Posts: 20,685 ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

And many of those are only backing on the back of shell companies.pumping money in over the years to get around various rules on sponsorship and owner interference

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 20,685 ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

And at least 7 or 8 of their partners are Abu Dhabi based. Nothing to see here. Another one declared bankrupty in the past week.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement