Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BusConnects Dublin - Bus Network Changes Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,445 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

Just drove to the merry ploughboy pub in Edmond town and noticed there was a bus stop near the pub and I turns out the 161 stops there.

How do I find out how many busses a day and what time they arrive at certain bus stops, on the TFI app?

Also when I go onto a certain stop it shows me all the busses stopping at that stop but only up to 20:18, how do I see the full service of that bus stop?

Another question- some busses have (scheduled) next to it- what’s that mean?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,715 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

All you need to know is here:

https://bustimes.org/services/161-rockbrook-dundrum-2

Click on map for the route and on “show all stops” to see the full stop by stop timetable.

It’s a very limited service that runs Monday to Friday only.

(scheduled) on the app means it’s not tracking yet.

thanks LX but why the hell is this not on the TFI app? (sorry not having a go at you- it just seems silly that's all!)

I have the TFI app on my phone but i didnt know of the bustimes.org and i doubt many do.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭p_haugh

Sometimes you need to look around and use different resources for different things. That particular website provides a better overview than most for full timetables.

For some reason the NTA don’t want to show full route timetables on the app, just departures around a certain time. It is daft.

There is a pdf timetable for the route on the GoAhead website but it shows only certain stops. You asked for the full timetable and Bustimes is the best site for that information.

• Advertisement

fair play LX thats the website ill save on the phone web browser going forward.

I may as well delete that TFI app at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,838 ✭✭✭rx8

Just to answer @bikeman1 , the inbound bus lane in Dorset St. is still 7-10 and 12-7pm after the train station.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭p_haugh

New stop (and timetables!) in place on Dundrum Main Street

• Registered Users Posts: 4,955 ✭✭✭Daith

It's still great to see some progress on this. Even if it's all (understandably in most cases) very slow going

• Registered Users Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭john boye

Saw the same in Crumlin Village this morning. Bus stop head says 27 stops there, I'd say a lot of people will be confused by that. I know it's technically true but it's two journies at all hours of the morning.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭ITV2

They put a stop on the N81 inbound at Killinardan for the S8 only odd the 65 doesn't serve it, but it does on the opposite side of the road?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭mikeybhoy

It would probably make more sense if those departures were given 27d as their number. Like the way 33 departures via Portrane are numbered 33e or 63 via Foxrock Village is 63a.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭Qrt

I think there used to be stop there a few years ago that was removed, at the end of the black path.

anyways, saw this today

recurring theme with bus connects in the area, not a single leaflet drop

• Registered Users Posts: 8,469 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

Who on earth puts dark text on a dark green background? The sign is just barely readable here.

Where is the location of that bus stop in your photo?

I think it says there that if you get a bus to Citywest; you get the W62 at stop 2626 from Sunday week; the 26th of November.

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭TranslatorPS

Note how the stop flag doesn't have the Irish stop name in cursive. Lo' and behold, are the NTA following the Official Languages Act better than the TII?

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Merricat

Long time lurker, first time poster- I've learned a lot from this thread!

There is currently absolute carnage in online Knocklyon/Firhouse groups about the removal of the 75/175 bus routes. Misinformation/misinterpretation is rife. All I can say is that I feel deeply sorry for local councillors, who are getting endless grief but have nothing to do with the changes. One commenter went on a rant about how they had all been tagged in the thread and were too lazy to answer.... four hours after some bright spark had done so. The local FF TD came out and made a statement. I can't see this being stopped but I don't think any of these people have ever heard of BusConnects... zero leafleting in the area that I can see.

The biggest protest seems to be about the disruption to DLIADT students, which doesn't seem to be an issue to me if the connections on the N11 work out. The reduced service to Dundrum in the area is definitely poorly thought out though. Any casual onlooker could tell you the passenger traffic to and from Dundrum is massive, just get the 175 any time of day.

Otherwise I don't think I'm too badly affected personally, both the S6 and S8 are within easy reach for me. I guess we'll see how they pan out though!

The loss of the Dundrum connection was something that stuck out like a sore thumb. But the NTA know best! They have placed far too much emphasis on end-to-end users despite buses filling up all day at Dundrum Town Centre on both routes. It’s nuts.

What they should have done was let the S8 take the L25 route and the L25 take the S8 route to Dun Laoghaire.

The best connection to Dundrum now will be S8 to Sandyford LUAS and LUAS from there.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,453 ✭✭✭BlueSkyDreams

Thats a pain in the hole though. Bus to Sandyford and then Luas to Dundrum.

Luas disrupted again today due to protests in town and stopping before it reaches the city centre. Terrible service and people very angry.

Tallaght to Dundrum will be car journeys for most now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭Kalimah

The removal of the 175 will make things really inconvenient for my daughter heading to UCD from Knocklyon. She’ll have a 20 minute walk to get to the S6 from our house rather than the 50 feet as it is at the moment.

I don’t know how she’ll get to Dundrum SC for her part time job either. I think the S6 will bring her to the old Dundrum SC and she’ll have to walk from there.

No leaflet here either with the changes. They want people out of cars but this just won’t work. They’re trying to make buses work like an underground with connections here and there. It’s ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭757TFFIU

This does seem to be an issue when installing new bus stops as part of Bus Connects. Stop 7875 was installed on Ninth Lock Road in Clondalkin when route 60 was being introduced. Despite routes 68, 76, 76a and L54 passing the stop, these were not included on the stop, and as such, these four routes just drive straight on by. This is despite all other bus stops on both sides of the road serving all routes.

Equally, stops 7781 and 7782 were initially installed on Monastery Road in Clondalkin when route L54 started. Despite the 13, 68 and 69 passing these stops, they were not included on the stop, so they didn't stop there. After roughly two months, this was corrected and all routes now serve these stops.

• Advertisement

I think this is a major problem. Only those very familiar and interested in the bus network understand how to check for conmections etc.

Its not like an Underground Map that you can easily read and trace the best route in an instant.

I would imagine the amount of folks coming over from Tallaght to Dundrum Town Centre is huge, especially younger folks.

Its hard to see people not reverting to driving this trip. I know I would if I lived that way.

I’m dealing with the practicalities of the situation that the NTA have decided upon. I don’t agree with it, but we are stuck with it.

The 74 is only every 30 mins and people are could be standing waiting on Grange Road for up to 30 mins for a bus, hence I’m suggesting that the LUAS at Sandyford is a better option.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭orangerhyme

They have all the data so the hope is that they know what they're doing.

Jarrett Walker is supposed to be best in the world at this.

I wouldn’t share your confidence in the NTA at all in this regard.

You are dealing with theorists with very little practical operational experience. Telling a full bus load of people that they now to change to another low frequency route to complete their journey is just daft.

I get the desire to improve end to end journey times, but to miss out the single biggest traffic generator in south Dublin is just nuts.

Anyone standing at either the 75 or 175 stops adjacent to Dundrum Town Centre can see the heavy loadings from and to points west.

Both routes fill up there.

Now one of them won’t serve Dundrum at all and the other will only use the Upper Churchtown Road and Taney Road.

Jarrett Walker is the world leader at this.

He's big philosophy is on high frequency services that you switch between rather than low frequency service that takes you "door to door", if you know what I mean.

It should operate like a Metro or tram, where you don't check the timetable, you just turn up as you know it's high frequency and a bus is always coming. The psychological effect of this increases ridership.

I wonder does he still consult all the way through the project or just at the start. But he's very data led.

I guess the logic is that the S6 and S8 will be higher frequency than the 75 or 175 and the Luas is high frequency, so you just switch between them.

The 75 and 175 are every 30 minutes, but the S6 and S8 will be 15 and 20 minutes. The Luas is every 3 to 5 minutes.

So in theory you get where you want to go faster by switching between high frequency services.

That's just a guess. I'm no expert.

I agree though Dundrum SC is the biggest trip generator for a huge area of South Dublin.

The S6 is also replacing the 17 between Rathfarnham and UCD - I think that there will be serious capacity issues with this in the morning peak.

Yes, I didnt mean to criticise your suggestion.

My point being that the decision will jist move people back into their cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,955 ✭✭✭Daith

Tbf, I don't think Walkers original plan looks anything like the current BusConnects plan.

As a brief aside, I keep mentioning Broombridge because it's one of the few places outside the city centre that has a bus, rail and Luas connection. Yet trains are scheduled to arrive a minute after the bus leaves in some cases and the Luas runs by frequency so you might end up with one Luas in 30 mins only able to connect you to the Bus or rail. It's not really a BusConnects thing, but I still think it shows such a lack of joined up thinking by the NTA. Three transport system all doing their own thing

I get your logic and dont disagree. But a lot of casual bus users will just see that the route doesnt deliver them to Dundrum Town Centre and wont be familiar with Sandyford, nor will they want to go there.

So the easy thing to do is just drive and forget the public transport.

Thats likley to be the response.

• Advertisement

I think the general idea is being implemented.

High frequency radial and orbital routes that you switch between. This is happening gradually.

Then local services feed into this high frequency network.

Also easy to understand with simple route names like S2, S4, W1, C1, C2 etc. Rather than the old names like 175a, 46a etc

I imagine he's consulting until completion.

Advertisement