Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Connacht Team Talk Thread VI - Some like it TOH

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,339 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Amazing that Connacht are actually ahead given that it’s been a rearguard action apart from the first 10 minutes. Guess they’ve been as economical as the Sharks have been wasteful.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,079 ✭✭✭testtech05

That a very harsh penalty. Another big let off.

Not sure what the camera man is at either too busy looking at the crowd to show the kick

Haven’t dealt with those chips over the top all game.

And Blade lies on the ball preventing release. Cheap pen.

Sharks miss it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,669 ✭✭✭Shehal

Craig Evans hasn't changed a bit from the Leinster Glasgow game, a complete homer. Thank god the Sharks.

Very poor pass by blade there....

Are you allowed to keep dragging the player out once the tackle is made?

• Advertisement

Connacht their own worst enemy. Not a good pass from Blade to Prendergast and he knocks it on. Gives Sharks life. Sharks mess up themselves again.

Far from a classic and don't think can say we deserved it but a great win

Big win that. A real dogfight. Sharks shot themselves in the foot numerous times thankfully and Connacht just hung in there and took advantage.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,939 ✭✭✭blackcard

Connacht were very poor, Sharks were even worse

• Registered Users Posts: 68,695 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Well done. Held on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭SqueakyKneecap

That's big. Delighted for the lads and fair play to the coaching ticket.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,490 ✭✭✭sioda

A win in South Africa is a big win happy days. I could listen to the commentator say Connacht all night 🤣.

Sharks are in trouble realistically.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,030 ✭✭✭OldRio

I have no idea how Connacht won that. But we'll take it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,197 ✭✭✭A-Train

A fantastic result for Connacht. Rode their luck and Sharks helped them however a result is a result and that's a great result.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭ElisaAtWar

The try was already a given. He just tried to play the ref. In fact his overall performance suggested he should have been named man of the match. His defence in such a close game was immense

• Registered Users Posts: 3,096 ✭✭✭mr_edge_to_you

Just saw that there on the post match analysis......that was ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭Borders no.2

Huge win to get the momentum back after last week. For once we won a game we should have lost rather than the other way around. After last week I was wondering where the next win would come from.

The win percentage against South African teams over there since it became the urc is very low so that's definitely one against the head.

Sharks will get their act together eventually so to have a 16 point gap on them is huge.

While Hanrahan is a lot more limited in general I think he's at or close to 100% in terms of kicks at goal. Usually the 5 easy points Sharks left after them would be us.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,555 ✭✭✭Ardillaun

Must admit I agree with that penalty. Players should release the ball immediately under those circumstances.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 onefinemorning

Brilliant first start from O'Brien in fairness through he had a great game and took his try very well.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,640 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

He let Kok score under the post instead of in the corner. It was unforgiveable.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,695 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭AccidentallyOnside

Not a great performance going forward but some real grit on the other side of the ball. The double tackle on the sharks winger by prendergast and Buckley was a big momentum swing and ralston is an elite defensive wing, a number of good reads and big hits 👌

Anyone know what happened with mcelroy and their try? He was genuinely spitting with rage. The TV director intentionally didn't highlight a few bits by the sharks, contact to the head for both Buckley and Bealham at rucks so wondering if there was similar there.

History books won't show we got away with that one and sharks have the look of a team that will win games when they get their house in order and a few players back......and maybe a different out half.

So jiving lessons over. So time to sit down and analyse the game. Thought Colm Reilly was good throughout. As I said before thought Ralston is really coming into his own. Thought TOH was imperious other than the incident that many were critical of.

Overall it was not a deserved win but players like TOH and Ralston really stood out in a very defensive effort.

Think we lacked penetration by our centres. Tom was invisible and Forde really did little. And if these guys aren't doing anything then go forward is not an easy thing to achieve ( Hawkshaw didn't change that dynamic and Porch/Smith didn't really add anything).

So it was an incredible win and I was on the edge of my seat watching it. It was intense. And while Sean O'Brien scored our try I find his overall play limited and wouldn't mind him being replaced in the back row. I think Conor Oliver and Cian Prendergast are miles ahead of what O'Brien offers.

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭kita99

I hopthe Connacht will give a rest Prendergast at next game (against Bulls) for the beyond games. (vs Leinster and Champions cup). And if possible, I want Connacht to use the rest of all players who have been in SA.

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭Former Coach

I think that it makes sense to use as many players as possible next week. It’s going to be a monumental task to get anything out of the game (especially at altitude) and we’ve got a very tough schedule over the coming weeks so as much rotation as possible (allowing for potential injury issues) is the logical way to go.

They're in bonus territory next week which is fantastic. I'd say Ralston is another lad that's due a rest. He worked his bollocks off yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭The Moist Buddha

"unforgivable" 😆😆😆😆 give your head a wobble lad

Indeed they are. So it begs the question, what game do you target. And as said before I don't think it should be the Leinster game. And if we do go pedal to the metal next weekend and we have a tight game like this week I would prefer having JJ taking a potential winning penalty kick over Jack.

We already messed up in Edinburgh purely based on poor strategic decision making with our team selection. I hope the lesson has been learnt and not forgotten quickly

• Advertisement

I'd be same as yourself ElisaAtWar. Give the likes of Carty and co. a run out and then rest the likes of Hanrahan, Prendergast, Joyce and more for Leinster at home.

Advertisement