Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BusConnects Dublin - Bus Network Changes Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭p_haugh

The Balinteer void will eventually be filled with the high frequency A2/A4 (and the lower frequency 80), but that won't happen until 2025 at this rate.

Surprised there wasn't a temporary route solution, even making the 161 7 days and slightly upping the frequency. I get that there probably isn't enough drivers to be able to even consider this, however.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,955 ✭✭✭Daith

I think some of the high frequency is relying on having bus corridors and route improvements too and generally getting buses moving quicker in addition to frequency?

That's definitely another piece of the puzzle.

The new South routes will be an interesting test.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭orangerhyme

Most people use apps and whatnot these days so they'll figure it out. Once you do it once, you'll do it again.

Old people can learn also.

Most people using the bus follow the same few routes anyway. In and out to work or town or school or college or to the shopping centre.

People will learn quickly.

It won't be perfect but the idea is that overall it's a better service for the city which I believe it definitely will be.

There will obviously be lots of complaints that elderly or disabled people have lost their bus service that was near their house and brought them straight to town etc. This is unfortunate obviously but you can't please everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,715 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

He is long gone from Dublin. He left after the second consultation.

I don’t think that he was particularly happy with the amount of changes the NTA made.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭lateconnection

The S6 will get you to the old Notre Dame School beside the Luas bridge, a ten minute walk from the centre. I know it's not as close as where the 175 gets you now in Dundrum, but it's not far off. It will be even closer once they upgrade the Dundrum junction under the Dundrum LAP, should cut the walk down as bus stops will moved closer to the junction.

To get to UCD from Knocklyon/Ballycullen, instead of walking 20 minutes to the S6, you could take the 15 from Ballycullen to the stop across from the Blue Haven pub on the Firhouse Road and change directly onto the S6 there to go straight to UCD, no extra cost under the TFI leap card 90 minute fare.

Same goes for getting to Dundrum from Ballycullen, get the 15 to the Blue Haven and change onto the S6.

I know there's a change involved, but the S6 will be alot more frequent than the 75 or the 175. The 15 is also very frequent so there shouldn't be a long wait for a connecting bus at the Blue Haven back up to Ballycullen.

In Rathfarnham, alot of people are delighted to see the end of the 17 and the 75. The 17 in particular has been notoriously unreliable for years, particularly for going beyond Dundrum to UCD because of the very elongated route and traffic. The higher frequency and more direct route on the S6 is being really welcomed.

• Advertisement

I know he's gone. I didn't expect him to live in Dublin.

But I assume his consultancy will be consulting the whole way through. I'd imagine thats the contract.

It was effectively redrawn from scratch after the Taoiseach called Anne Graham and told her that the initial plan wasn’t acceptable and needed not to be tinkered with, but to be redrawn and retain direct bus links from the housing estates in the suburbs to the city.

It is retaining the principles of the spines and orbitals but there are just some aspects which make no sense, such as the Dundrum situation, and the halving of PSO buses serving the Airport from the city centre along the Swords Road.

The Broombridge LUAS also has to fit in with the Parnell-Brides Glen LUAS services south of Parnell. It’s just not possible to integrate the two services that are at totally different frequencies as the train and LUAS are at Broombridge, and also maintain headways along the section of the LUAS line where the heavy loadings are, south of Parnell.

When DART+ is delivered that will improve but it isn’t really possible to co-ordinate them now.

What they definitely could do at Broombridge is install more LEAP validators on the bridge.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭mikeybhoy

There were a lot of oversights in the original plan iirc. For example a lot of peripheral areas were completely omitted from the network entirely for example there was no replacement at all for the 185 in Kilgarron in Enniskerry.

I meant that he is no longer involved in it.

He left after the second consultation and the NTA finished it themselves.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭Kalimah

We did think of that. Hopefully it will work if the capacity issues on the 15 are sorted. We’re the third stop on the route and very often the bus is full by the time it gets to us. I’ve been left standing there myself often enough going to work.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭Qrt

Yeah it’s about five minutes up. But the 175 will be missed. Especially when Dundrum SC is brought into is. There really should be an S7 or something mirroring the 175. Oh well.

The 15 frequency in Knocklyon is due to be cut when it becomes the A1 to every 12 minutes in 2025 (there will be the A3 along the N81 at the same frequency to Tallaght).

Cutting frequency there is insane when as you say the 15 is overloaded as it is in Knocklyon.

Yeah the 15 needs to be upgraded to bendy buses which can hold 140 people as opposed to the current double deckers that can hold 90. It's a change that would make a huge difference.

They also need to put on about 6 extra services an hour starting from Templeogue into town on the 15 in the morning rush hour so that people in Terenure and Rathgar don't have full buses passing them and leaving them stranded. They also need a good few extra services from the Ballycullen terminus in the morning too, your experience highlights this.

We won’t be getting articulated buses. That’s not on the agenda at all.

I know that, but I think bendy buses should be on the agenda under Busconnects. It's a missed opportunity that they are not on the agenda. The A spine which encompasses the 15 route will need them. The B Spine out to Blanch will also need them. Otherwise, the service won't be able to cope.

It's a pity the NTA don't see this, it's glaringly obvious.

That's the sad thing, small changes like introducing articulated buses and extra peak hour services starting from points closer to the city on busy routes are normal in other cities. Yet in Dublin, the NTA just don't have the appetite to do it.

The bus would actually be alot more attractive for people along the A Spine if there were more capacity (by using bendy buses) and were more reliable by greater rollout of bus lanes and priority as is envisaged under Busconnects.

Tri-axle double decks with multiple doors are a far better solution.

With the long journey times that we have in Dublin, expecting people to stand for over an hour on a bus is daft. The larger double decks afford a greater chance for those making the longer journeys to get a seat.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,453 ✭✭✭BlueSkyDreams

True.

But if DTC is the major destination. i.e. more people travel to/from there than any other stop on the route, removing DTC from the route and then not replacing it with a similar timed service cant be good for Public Transport uptake.

Its a very odd decision and I think most people probably dont even know its coming.

I would fully expect it will drive an increase in car trips to Dundrum Town Centre from South West Dublin.

Yeah I agree. It seems like an oversight.

Maybe the data supported this decision though. It's hard to know.

Or maybe it's compromise they had to make for other reasons.

Yep. I just dont see how they could have missed it though.

Surely as part of the planning they would have reviewed the data to see where pasengers embark/disembark and DTC will be the brightest spot on that routes heat map.

Perhaps its because they have favoured the interchange down near Dundrum Luas station and have considered that as the primary stop for DTC.

• Advertisement

I'm pretty certain Jarrett Walker's consultancy produced a report at the start showing data and heatmaps of busy spots.

I'll try to find it.

Maybe speed of the S8 is important so they took it along a faster route, rather than through Dundrum.

With bus priority, the journey from Knocklyon or Rathfarnham to the city could be as low as 20 minutes. That's not that long. People don't have a problem standing on other transport systems around the world for that length of time, they are also well able to stand for as long as that on the Luas too. Not every bus user is an end-to-end user either.

The 15 currently has about 8 services an hour. Each bus has a capacity of 90 people. 8 multiplied by 90 is 720 people, that's the current hourly capacity of the 15.

The Mercedes Benz CapaCity L is a bendy bus that can hold 190 people.

Now, if these were introduced on the 15, it would mean 190 multiplied by 8, which would give an hourly capacity of 1,520 people on the 15. A total game changer for the areas the route serves.

In an ideal world it would be great if the southwest of the city had a metro (a debate for elsewhere I know). But people don't seem to realise that you could double or triple the capacity of the bus routes to Rathfarnham, Templeogue, Knocklyon and Firhouse by introducing bendy buses. All at a fraction of the cost of metro tunnelling etc. Additionally, you could make the service a whole lot more reliable and journey times predictable by having continuous bus priority for the whole route, which is what Busconnects wants to achieve.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,316 ✭✭✭Consonata

In fairness, the journey times are as bad as they are mostly due to traffic issues. In the original plans where BRT was touted, you could concievably have upgrade to Luas on the main radials relatively easily with proper grade seperation.

I'm sad that the 14 isn't due to get a bumped frequency any time soon, was hoping it would be bundled into the souther orbital changes. The 80 is very odd routing and v much looks like it is there to patch the holes left between the orbitals.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Merricat

I think a lot of people in the Knocklyon/Firhouse area still believe in this mythical Luas extension idea. Personally I can't see it happening, and if it does, it'll be 15 years at least. We will be relying on buses for a while yet

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Merricat

@BlueSkyDreams Honestly, I think a lot of it is that they've retained part of the route of the 17, it sounds like the S8 will stop in the same/a similar place on Churchtown Road. I grew up having to rely on that bus though, and I have to say, there isn't much I'd want to replicate from it!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,469 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

I'm still a little bit confused as to what will occur for the L25 along Benamore Road from Sunday week.

There was a new bus stop marking installed at the boundary wall of the Avoca Hockey Pitch in Newtownpark Avenue. I posted a photograph of it here on boards a few months back. If all of the Dublin Bus stop poles are going to be replaced for the L25 route from Dún Laoghaire to Dundrum by-pass; I would imagine either that the southbound bus stop located near the traffic lights at Rowanbyrn would be removed altogether which would move the 7b/7d there to the new bus stop at the hockey pitch or reserve that new stop for the L25 only with the 7b/7d left with the current stop at Rowanbyrn.

There is no official information coming from either the NTA or Dublin Bus, who will operate the L25, so far as to what will happen to this section of the route from Sunday of next week.

I still seeing some confusing information about the S8 timetable being provided on the GAI website. It has a stop listing on it called National School. What does that term mean in plain english?

When I got that bit of info from it; I would have assumed that the S8 would still have a stop provided for them at Guardian Angels Church car park with the NS that is located next to it. The S8 also has a new stop or bus shelter being built installed across the road from the front entrance of Newpark Comprehensive School.

What I'm asking here is does the S8 timetable imply that the route would stop opposite Newpark School which would ultimately skip Guardian Angels Church/School and than continue onto the next stop which is all the way down opposite the Butler's Pantry at the very top part of Temple Hill in Blackrock?

There is no TFI bus stop equipment installed yet for the S8 route outside Dunnes Stores at the Playwright.

Will there be a bus pole or bus shelter installed there in time from Sunday of next week? I walked past that stop located on the opposite side of the old bus shelter on Marian Park while heading into Dunnes on Thursday evening. The new bus stop outside Dunnes just has new kerbing installed there for now.

I also have a theory that the bus stops located in Monkstown Village and Frascati Shopping Centre in Blackrock should have the 703 timetable included on the TFI bus stops instead of having them listed on the Aircoach bus stops which are also in place in these locations. It will probably look very cluttered with having two stops there at Monkstown Village with one stop on either side of the road in use and the other one not in use at all.

There are no booklets being distributed in Newtownpark Avenue yet. I suppose they will come in later this week.

Post edited by dublinman1990 on

• Registered Users Posts: 15,956 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Jumping in to say (if I have it right) that it appears that the W4 does not go anywhere near Connolly Hospital? So a passenger would have to alight at the Blanch Centre and change to N4. Is that right does anyone know?

I was just looking at the map and while I'm not overly familiar with the area, I was helping an elderly relative out who has to travel from Lucan to Connolly Hospital shortly, and thought, oh it's a pity the W4 doesn't use one of the roundabouts in the shopping centre to get to the hospital by crossing the N3 and use the hospital or somewhere nearby to turn around to go back to Tallaght.

Relative can get a quick enough connection to Liffey Valley (N4) to catch W4, but that journey ends up in two changes, when one would do if the W4 could get to the hospital in Blanch.

Ah well, them's the breaks, but I would have thought that stopping at or near the hospital would have been clever. But what do I know!

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭A2000

You can get off w4 in blanch village. There's a right turn at the lights in the centre of the village and the road goes under the n3 and into the hospital. The 220 used this route at one stage.

• Advertisement

Thanks thats interesting and outlines the thought process.

The obvious flaw is that the connected option they speak of works great in a simple 9 line diagram, but in practice and across a whole city network, that central interchange that enables the plan to work, doesnt exist.

Advertisement