Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTÉ admits paying Tubridy €345,000 more than declared

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,610 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

If he has, then it must not be NKM, cos NKM were proud of who they had as clients, abs plastered their faces on their website. Ray was never one of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭Gen.Zhukov

I think that each client has the say whether to publicly state they are with NK or not - I'm thinking BOC and Hugh Wallace in particular. So you sign up with NKM, and you decide to let that be known publicly or not

I posted this before and it's not too hard to join the dots

But, I digress...

• Registered Users Posts: 21,023 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

I certainly don't add my pension and benefits when discussing my salary

• Registered Users Posts: 2,373 ✭✭✭ForestFire

1. He is getting 31 F#*king grand, in pension contributions, more than half the average industrial wage in Ireland, on top of his 250K
    2. He is a public employee taking our money (On a basic salaries/wages), in the form of both a statuary licence fee, and general taxation (Bailouts).
    3. How many people do you normally disclose your salary to?
    4. Is your company pension contribution worth mentioning, between 1.5k and 3K pa, about right?
    5. RTE are in the middle of a financial crisis and financial controversy for hidden payments and barter accounts!!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,482 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

This stuff needs to be closed down straight away.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭chrisd2019

Ray could be reduced by an AI bot and some newbee who presses the correct buttons.

Joe could also be replaced by someone who return to the original idea of the show, that is it about the listeners views not those of the presenter.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

So bakhurst doesn't know his actual salary including all the perks and he doesn't seemingly earn enough to afford to pay for his own car and pension.

When is enough actually enough🤔?

And what are the chances that someone in rte will eventually remember exactly what they're paid. If you can't remember that how can you possibly run out so called national broadcaster.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,774 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

I have not being reading this thread in while. But the impression I got was the previous narrative of this thread was that Tubridy would not get a job outside RTE, nevermind Ireland?

It appears the fact that Tubridy has moved to another country is now being spun as a negative of sorts???? Boards always finds a way I suppose....

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭Hyperbollix

The only negative I can see in Tubs moving to a new country is it's just a shame it's not a new continent he's off to.

Antarctica is quite pleasant this time of year I believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,059 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

Mine is closer to his than what you suggest to be honest I still wouldn’t think of it when someone asks what are you paid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,373 ✭✭✭ForestFire

Just to be clear, Your Employer contributes somewhere around 15-20K pa to your pension?

You also match this I presume, putting 40K a year into a pension?

Do you think you are an average wage earner? Or based on the above probably in the top 10 or even 5%?

If so you are not like the rest of us 90% of the population, but fair dues to you for getting there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,199 ✭✭✭artvanderlay

Maybe don't bother reading the thread then? Just a thought. Here we lambast Tubridy for fun :) Another puff piece in The Sun today about Tubs. As long as he and his agent keep pushing their crap on us I'm going to keep bitching about them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,199 ✭✭✭artvanderlay

He said he hasn't watched the Late Late since Kielty took over because he is out on Friday nights :) Spinning discs in Wes disco probably.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,493 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

Why engage with the puff?

Some of the posters here are coming across as almost deranged at this stage it can't be good.

I wasn't a fan of Ryan Tubridy too bland but at this stage, he is yesterday's news.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,774 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Am I not allowed to read it and comment on the prevailing narratives? To be honest after a while such threads become a virtual petri dish. Almost a live behavioural study. And why is it 'fun' what does that say about the 'group think'?.

No doubt there will be threads following Tubridy in the UK and giving out about it from a distance? The Irish taxpayer money/licence fee will can no longer be the gripe used. So a new boards Tubridy 'complaint' will have to be invented.

Post edited by gormdubhgorm on

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,059 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

I don’t think I’m an average wage earner but I was just making the point that while it is a large amount of money it’s just not something people think of when they think of their pay.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭RoTelly

During my time on boards I largely stayed way from the top ten earners wages other than to point out that RTÉ so call reductions weren't really reductions, since (1 defected, 1 retired and 2 died), and most of the 40% that they were trying to pretend to achieve came from those 4 exits. Of course with tubs there are the smoke and mirrors that caused the house of cards to tumble.

But Bakhurst isn't making any sense.

He's capping top earners at €250k but there are caveats !

1. It is likely the new contracts will see them reduce the number of shows they present. (This is by no means a cut because you have to get a stand in)
    2. Since more and more TV programming will come from indo producers any of the "top" presenters won't have to declare any income from indo producers (I have mentioned this before in relation to Katherine Thomas who present The Voice, Ireland's Fittest Family and Operation Transformation along with a few Radio stand in gigs, in one full year, meaning in that year she'd have had to have been in the top ten... but then RTÉ didn't technically pay Katherine that came from indo producers).

We are back to smoke and mirrors:-

This means that this idea of a nominal fee for TV goes out the window. This idea that presenting a Radio show is more valuable than a prime time TV show is just strange. TV takes in far more advertising revenue than Radio and if you we consider that part of any presenters fee is being in public then TV is worth far more than Radio, but we are slowly seeing that in RTÉ presenters are charging far more for their radio work than their TV work.

But then Keilty gets 250k for TLLS a weekly TV show, so it is more lucrative than Radio and he is more in the public eye because he is on TV!

Which leads me back to the idea that the presenters of the Today show are getting massive amounts, purely because it is a daily show, the same goes for News Presenters (and we have a clear idea of that because of Brian Dobson, who moved from TV to Radio with no real increase or decrease).

Which leads me to Joe Duffy, there is no reason that The Meaning of Life can't be farmed out to an indo producer, but does Joe charge his normal 5k per episode or because of the cuts at RTÉ does he raise that to 10k allowing him to keep is 350k !

And can someone give me a time line of when this report was made about Tubs ... wasn't it mid-march ... and the board signed off on Joe's LUCRATIVE, OUTSTANDING, INCOMPREHENSIBLE pay deal on the 3rd of April! Who signed of on that, when they knew what was going on?

As Joe would say "The Live Line is Now Open!"

______

Just one more thing .... when did they return that car

Yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 7,434 ✭✭✭Tow

I think we can safely say the 250k cap was pie in the sky. I am not clear if the 250k was stated as the limit or the limit was 'cannot earn more (337,500) than the Director General'. In any event contractors are not paid a salary by RTE.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/arid-41272129.html

When is the money (including lost growth) Michael Noonan took in the Pension Levy going to be paid back?

I am basing the 250k or there about on his direct pay excluding the pension and car etc. Regardless substitute it for 350k and your still in the same situation. It seems to be as realistic as the 10% pay cut executives cut in Strategy 2024. It is a sword to die on and I think he will be blue in the face back tracking come next Friday.

______

Yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 16,474 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Big splash with Tubs in tomorrow's ST

I think that Chris’s punkness and creativity is contagious and I think I’m going to reveal a side to me that people at home might not be familiar with. I think this new move is going to show a bit more of the pub version of me rather than the coffee shop version.”

I wonnder do Virgin realise they've got the new Russell Brand on their hands

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

………

• Registered Users Posts: 12,493 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

I predict the next segway in this thread will be the a moan/ rant about the kind of independent producers who get the work from RTE.

Just a point if an independent producer, media company is selling to a media outlet such as RTE can they not employ anyone they like? and pay how they like?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,920 ✭✭✭Augme

Can someone start a separate RT thread? At this stage post's about RT current career are off-topic. I don't care about him and have no interest in what he's doing at the moment. How RTE are spending my taxes and still mismanaging that spending is still a very important issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,322 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

I think FFGG have been damaged considerably here. They have agreed a bailout and yet we haven't got so many things sorted - the report on governance, the report on the massive redundancies for the senior management team, the 150,000 that RT owes, the truth behind the contracts and slush funds etc.

The government have completely folded on this. Kevin's plan is years away from delivering and yet we are bailing out these clowns. The previous senior managers get away Scot free with wasting taxpayer funds for decades. They are laughing at us.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Mywifetoldme

The Sunday Times headline is " I'm playing senior hurling now".

Already been done on this thread and others.

Shinawil being picked upon by Boardsters having being given the main Sunday Night entertainment/reality TV programme almost every year since 1999/2000 starting with Popstars, and being interrupted by Tyrone Production's All Ireland Talent Show!

RTÉ commissions programming from an indo producer, RTÉ will take in many aspects of the the commission. Including the "star power of the presenter" and their pay, there is a reason why Amanda Byram didn't return to DWTS and I'd say it was down to pay, you think RTÉ had no say in her replacement or in Nicky Bryne's?

Anyway I though you didn't care about genres outside of News and Current Affairs?

______

Yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭supereurope

Unfortunately, we're going to see a lot of these puff pieces from his friends in the media. It's going to get worse when his show starts...I predict loads of stories about how great he's doing and how he's become a huge star in the UK, even if he hasn't.

Kind of like Samantha Mumba, remember back in the 2000s how we were told almost hourly that she was a huge star in America and every major movie producer was falling over themselves to sign her up for their next blockbuster? Yeah...it's been 20 years and we've still not seen any of these movies.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,435 ✭✭✭✭Water John

The plan has lots of actions. We need transparent figures on the savings on each. What exactly is the financial benefit of doing away with RTE 1 +1?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭LambshankRedemption

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement