Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Solar for Beginners [ask your questions here]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 65,317 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

I consider it my mission to get other people to install solar PV on their homes. Frustrating as it is that we don't have nearly all homes, businesses and public buildings plastered in PV already, thankfully I have convinced a good few people to install so far.

And now, with many people being on smart meters with high day rates and Ireland having a very generous feed it tariff (what you get paid if you don't use your own solar but send it to the grid), the pay back time has never been quicker. A big €13k install with battery, now only costs €10k after subsidy and has a payback time of around 5 years for a family home with 4-5 people in it. DIY installs can be much quicker than that again

• Registered Users Posts: 12 FrozenDriveway

I'm currently buying a a new A2 rated build with 2 large PV panels (no idea on exact specifications yet). The house also has a Heat Pump as well (Samsung/Joule). In theory the solar panels should help reduce the electric bill but I would expect, considering there is no battery, that they will be pretty useless in the Winter?

Reading through the threads on here would also lead me to believe that 2 isn't enough to really make much of a difference to my electric bill, even in the summer. Would that be a correct assumption?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭orangerhyme

It's the same with EVs. Word of mouth is very powerful.

I imagine there's a growing class of people in Ireland with A-rated homes (or near enough), heat pumps, solar panels and EVs who have very low bills and outgoings.

I bet David McWilliams will come up with a name for them. "Green-daddies" or something

Indeed. My brother in law wanted nothing to do with EVs until a couple years ago, now they are a 2 EV household. He has had many fancy cars like BMW, Range Rover and mostly Mercedes, all brand new. But now he finds his Audi Q8 etron the best car he's ever had

My main family car has been EV for 7 years now, currently we are a 2, or technically speaking 3 EV household ourselves 😁

There's a connection between male ego, status and cars.

But EVs are expensive and very fast, so satisfy the male ego, unlike a bike or public transport for example.

Also they're much cheaper to run and service which people like boasting about.

Also with solar panels there's a "gamification" element with apps if you know what I mean. Trying to reduce household energy use (buying more efficient appliances) or scheduling appliances during the day, so you're energy independent.

It's like a computer game but actually benefits you.

• Advertisement

Tell me about it! I've been playing senior level for quite some time 😁

Looks like this year my total energy bill, so electricity, gas, fuel for both cars, will be about zero. In future with an agile tariff structure, that will be next level of the game, with the aim of having a total bill several thousand € negative.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,028 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

I am tending to see solar popping up in clusters, likely from word of mouth.

And the increased electricity cost.

When I first got my EV, and started looking into panels, my day rate was 14c, night 7.

Now I my night rate is 14. And day is 30.

Funny enough, I've no PV on my actual house.

The "gamification" element is something that people don't quantify when talking about the benefits of domestic solar.

Solar panels change the behaviour of a household to be more energy efficient. A well designed app will facilitate this.

They'll replace bulbs with LEDs. When buying appliances they'll buy the low wattage eco version etc.

Even more so when combined with an EV or a battery even.

I'd like to see more domestic wind turbines if possible. There's interesting designs coming out with kites and whatnot.

If they are the really big ones they could be 5-600w., 2 of them, you possibly will be generating about 8-900kwh/ year of electricity.

It will reduce electric bill, also will get a bit of feed in tariff in the summer. Something is better than nothing.

Just make sure they are working/connected!

Thanks, they are quite big. I'm hoping to have the full specs of them soon enough. If they are 500w each, would it be worth it to install a battery?

• Advertisement

For the Solar? : No.

Load shifting : possibly (eg charge on night rate and discharge during the day)

They could be solar thermal panels rather than solar PV, @FrozenDriveway?

I've been told by the sales rep that they are pv.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,736 ✭✭✭hexosan

You can be sure that they’re the cheapest **** possible for the builder to tick the renewable part L box

Yes, I'd certainly imagine so. Guess I'll find out!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭bullit_dodger

PVGIS (picking Athlone center of Ireland with 1Kwp) = 909Kwhr/year.

PVGIS (picking Utrecht1 center of Netherland with 1Kwp) = 1038Kwhr/year

But yeah, I'd agree with you on the penetration side.....it's not enough. Still it's pretty much mandated as a part of new builds, so is that 600/week inclusive of new builds? If not, theres another 40K in new builds with solar I'd imagine?

That's interesting. Have you any link for those figures? I always compare the rule of thumb they use in NL for typical pitch pure south roof being about 800kWh / kwp. And for Ireland I always use the best areas of Ireland, which are most of the east coast, including the bigger Dublin area at about 1000kWh / kwp

I do realise other areas in Ireland can be a lot worse, but midlands 900kWh / kwp and perhaps the west coast at below 800kWh / kwp seem ball park figures

I'd assumed his numbers are based on SEAI grants. That's where the "10,000 last year" figure comes from. I don't think he'd have data for new builds and they don't receive grants from SEAI.

I read somewhere else that 16000 applied for grants last year but 10,000 availed of them.

"In 2022 the SEAI received 16,819 applications to the Domestic Solar PV programme, which resulted in grant support for 10,017 homes, at a cost of €24.4m and a total installed capacity of 46.5 MW. This indicates an average installation size of 4.6kW. This is a huge increase on the numbers from 2021 when 4,077 homes were supported, and 16.3 MW installed. The SEAI maintains data regarding the financing and functioning of this scheme and has facilitated the information in response to your questions below."

4000 to 10,000 to ~30,000

Exponential growth. It'll probably plateau at 1000 installations a week maybe.

It's funny if you read article below, Cavan saw the biggest increase in installations. Tight bastards were biding their time.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.galwaydaily.com/news/massive-increase-in-adoption-of-domestic-solar-panels-in-galway/%3famp

Eamon Ryan is doing great work but he probably won't be in power after the next election.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭bullit_dodger

Just pulled it from JRC Photovoltaic Geographical Information System (PVGIS) - European Commission (europa.eu)

Best of Ireland is down in Wexford and that's about 1080Kwhr/year. Compared that with the best of the Netherlands down towards Zeeland which is 1131kwhr/Year. Used the same slope/orientation (south). To be fair, it's much to a muchness really, but I wouldn't consider Netherlands much worse than Ireland.

In any case, getting 900-1000Kwhr/year from 1kwp is a no brainer for me @ ~€0.20/unit. 3-4 Years to payback the panels. What's not to like? :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭ratracer

Well it was your knowledge and advice given on here with any q’s I asked that finally convinced me to go for it.

Have an ~8Kw system on an east west split just being installed this week. Went for a 5.3Kw battery to start, which I think can added to if successful. I’m hoping that over the next few winter months I learn enough about load shifting, setting tariffs etc to be up to speed by the Spring! (And teach the family the same)

Thanks. 👍

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭Suffering Jbox

I use very little electricity - about 3.5kwh per day. How do I work out how many panels i need? If i go for 10 x 400w, can I sell the excess back to the grid? Thanks!

Yep, if you have a smart meter. So regardless of how little you can use yourself, you should go for the biggest install possible. The bigger, the shorter the pay back period.

• Registered Users Posts: 785 ✭✭✭staples7

Was due to go ahead with a solar install with solis inverter but getting a great price from another installer for HUAWEI inverter. Besides the obvious more limited battery options. Any other stuff I should watch out for? Any feedback on the app?

A lot of us get fairly addicted to this stuff. So if you go for a hybrid inverter that can only take a certain battery, that would limit your expansion possibilities. Don't underestimate that!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭DC999

+1 to unkel. I’ve a Huawei inverter and can’t afford their 2 types of battery they offer. Which means I’ll have to replace kit to get a battery which costs more, of course. So don’t get a Hauwei inverter I’d suggest. 

• Registered Users Posts: 785 ✭✭✭staples7

Thanks So I know Luna is the one I see mentioned everywhere, what's the other type?

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭dumb_parade

the batteries have dropped in price a lot in the past year. I got a 5kwh battery delivered for just over €2000 last mont from senetic.

Yet you can pick up a very good quality 15kWh self build kit for £2000 in Northern Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭ratracer

So I need to run a duct and a 10sq cable from the inverter in my garage over to my house. ( About 8m )

Is this put in ducting similar to the red ESB duct, or is there a minimum depth below the ground they need to be?

Any guidance/ advice welcome……

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭fergald

Hi All,

I am new to this and if I say something rubbish please have patience with me as i am trying to get my head around it.

I am declaring first and foremost my reasoning for investing in Solar is purely economic. I am with Electric Ireland and my tariff (smart meter) is 39.7 cent per kw.

I am looking at getting a 6.5kw system installed with eddi - price 7k after grant ( second cheapest after 13 quotes).

I have looked a this thread and it seem a lot of people are getting only 1 to 2kw per day in Nov, Dec, Jan so am i correct in saying that if this is correct

92 days @ 2kw multiply .39 = 72 euro savings for 3 months approx. This would be a bad return on investment

However:

According to "JRC Photovoltaic Geographical Information System (PVGIS) - European Commission (europa.eu)" I should get around Nov 271kw, Dec 196kw, Jan 229kw

696 kw multiply .39 = 271 euro savings for 3 months approx. Is this realistic

For me these 3 months are the dearest every year, this year at 540 euro for a two cycle period. During spring summer this reduces as we dont use the dryer but mostly hang the clothes on the line etc.

Feb 327 multiply .39 = 127 euro

Mar 531 multiply .39 = 207 euro

Apr 691 multiply .39 = 270 euro

May 774 multiply .39 = 301 euro

Jun 733 multiply .39 = 285 euro

Jul 719 multiply .39 = 280 euro

Aug 656 multiply .39 = 255 euro

Sep 557 multiply .39 = 217 euro

Oct 395 multiply .39 = 154 euro

I am trying to make the decision to go ahead and purchase, i use about 5200kw per annum. I would like to put some realism on this, are the figures from the GIS correct or are people getting way less during the darker months. Is the maths i am using here incorrect, i know there are other chargers, standing charges etc. I am trying to simplify it.

Any help with this is very much appreciated and please remember i am only learning. I also got quoted an extra 3,000 euro for 10kw of batteries but financially i dont want to cripple myself. Oh and if i am in the wrong thread, please excuse me.

Kind Regards

Fred

Advertisement