Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Green" policies are destroying this country

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,014 ✭✭✭Shoog

Putting their money where their mouth is.

Not the picture some want to paint.

Like having a water meter cuts down on domestic water wastage, been in control of your own energy makes people far more reactive to personal consumption issues - and the grid is unburdened freeing capacity for inflexible industrial users.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,993 ✭✭✭✭JRant

Oh boy, you really don't get it. Solar for your home is fine, if you have batteries. It'll reduce your bill a bit in summer alright. Now, pay attention, this is the important bit, at a grid level it makes balancing supply difficult because it's so unreliable from one season to the next, especially winter when we have peak demand. The more solar we have connected, the more back-up plants we have to have ready to meet demand during our busiest times. Peaking plants, typically open cycle units are more expensive to have on standby and less efficient than closed cycle turbines. Ergo, electricity becomes more expensive not less.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

If only there was some way to know when the sun would shine.... if only

• Registered Users Posts: 5,299 ✭✭✭Clo-Clo

Why are you still quoting me? especially when you are trying to be condescending . A child can google and then post the "information" you just provided. If you want to be condescending to someone, I would suggest you have more than a basic google knowledge on the topic first.

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭InAtFullBack

Good to see, but I'd prefer to use rooftops for solar as opposed to open fields.

• Advertisement

Yeah or imagine the ability to tell if it was going to be sunny tomorrow, or cloudy, or rainy.

Or even weeks in advance

Even the ability to link a home PV system with a solar prediction site so you use the solar/battery to get the best value out of them

We can all hope that technology becomes available in the future

I agree, we should have all public building covered, DC's covered etc. All new buildings/offices etc should get no planning without maximum coverage with solar PV.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,852 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

Winter is here! People burning their waste, plastics in open fires, provides heat and dont need to pay as much or at all for waste. In urban areas in particular, it should be banned. Getting people to drive electric cars, when this carry on is still permitted! LOL!

Cant get any money for that though, protecting the environment from air pollution...

Even using PV to run an immersion takes substantial load off the grid, especially at peak times. It's got to the stage that it is no longer cost effective to install solar thermal since PV undercuts it by so much. It even works to much lower light levels than conventional solar thermal.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,559 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

One season to the next? More like one minute to the next. Clouds moving over Ireland have a huge impact on grid scale solar. The Danish TSO are particularly concerned about this already (and they are part of a large synchronous area, we aren't). See Fig 2 in this report for an example of the issue (https://energinet.dk/media/jkwn4ekx/driving-towards-grid-balance.pdf)

Then you have the daily problem of load ramping up in the morning, only for solar to assist some days, once it starts to get bright, but not so much on cloudy/dark days. The grid needs ramping capability to balance the frequency (all costs money). The opposite happens in the evening, sometimes it's exacerbated by the load ramping up for the evening peak while the solar disappears into the darkness, meaning even greater levels of balancing generation is required (at cost).

Of course Saoirse and Fionán with their amazing home energy solar/battery solution don't need to trouble their little heads about the grid stability issue, they're getting free electricity when the sun shines. Problem is, they expect that when the sun doesn't shine the grid will magically provide their power again despite having contributed lower payments towards DTUoS and DUoS through consuming less energy. They also cause Esb problems because the distribution system was designed for one way power flows. If they want to export to the grid there are issues with lots of relays that aren't designed for bidirectional flows. Again, more cost to other customers to allow them earn a feed in tariff.

I can forsee a future where electricity packages are no longer sold on a kWh used basis but instead move more towards an energy as a service model. Something similar happened with broadband back in the day with pay for MB and later GB consumed was replaced with an all you can eat type approach for a flat fee by several suppliers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭roosterman71

I logged in and 144 new posts. I was full sure there was something interesting happening. But no, sadly. Same old shite being repeated on both sides, often with very sketchy and non existent knowledge of the topics

"Of course Saoirse and Fionán"

The 50,000 people on the largest facebook Irish solar group, not one of them called Saoirse or Fionan. Opp's for you

"I can forsee a future where electricity packages are no longer sold on a kWh used basis but instead move more towards an energy as a service model"

Would you not describe what we have already is "energy as a service", we pay for what we use which is the standard description for "as a service"

What we will have in the future is the companies will change the rates more, so the rate will have a band scale and you will be able to see by the minute. The usual example if everyone watching a program and turning on the kettle at a break, if you do this you will be charged more but if you wait 2-3 mins you will be charged less.

At the moment with the new smart meters they are restricting to hourly period but this will change.

So why are you here then? Even the "basic Google knowledge" has more depth than anything you have posted today.

Yourself, Shoog and DaCor were requested multiple times today (and previously) by several posters to provide the cost for the proposed 37GW of offshore plus any associated grid or storage infrastructure and there hasn't been a single value provided, not even a rough order of magnitude ballpark guesstimate. Instead ye've gone down every tangent available, insinuating others are making things up or are too uninformed to debate with rather than provide one ounce of evidence to support your own arguments.

Yourself, Shoog and DaCor were requested multiple times today (and previously) by several posters to provide the cost for the proposed 37GW of offshore plus any associated grid or storage infrastructure and there hasn't been a single value provided, not even a rough order of magnitude ballpark guesstimate.

It continues to amuse me that you and others are asking for costs incurred by private companies for the next 27 years

Honestly, it makes me chuckle on a regular basis.

The person in question took off on a rant about solar PV without any experience or knowledge on the topic. I know that solar PV is not used just to heat some water so already I have vastly more knowledge than the poster in question.

Why would I propose the cost of 37GW. I don't know what it is.

Glad it makes you chuckle.

It makes me sick to think of the billions that the electricity consumer will be underwriting for these private companies for the next 27 years. Some aren't all that private and are bidding against their colleagues in other semistates. Not one company is doing it for altruistic reasons and certainly not for green ideals.

You claim to be knowledgeable on the topic and spam the place with tens of random links daily, yet can't provide a single one on costs? That's pretty amazing. You'd think you'd have stumbled, even accidentally, across a single article with a €/£/$ amount in it, by the volume of links alone. The fact that you won't even put a ballpark figure to it suggests that you have a feeling it's way too high to be palatable and instead want to wait for "legislation" and ignorance to take us past a point of no return.

Thankfully, economics will dictate a more sensible approach way before that happens and we'll end up with a more modest build out to meet our indigenous demand and a small surplus for export (if anyone will take it given the cost of onward supply to GB or Europe).

So you know everyone's name based on a social media account? Wow. That's amazing. Possibly even more amazing than admitting to using Facebook these days.

Maybe you should give MTV a shout and take over that Catfish program? Every episode would be over in a minute with your skills.

It's irrelevant, the cost that matters will be announced as part of the auction process.

The cost that matters is the one that's paid.

Especially after all the extras are added on. Those auctions are only part of the equation. Grid reinforcements aren't free, nor is maintenance and repair.

• Advertisement

Which is covered by the auction

Grid costs are borne by Eirgrid

... which are therefore borne by the end customer, ie the electricity consumer. Nothing is free. But I guess it suits your narrative to dilute it by splitting costs.

As always, you are quick to respond with something, but never quite answer the question asked. What, in your opinion, is the end cost (ballpark is acceptable) that the electricity customer in Ireland will be expected to pay (auctions, Eirgrid, batteries, hydrogen, whatever else) if all 37GW is built?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,384 ✭✭✭prunudo

You were busy today lads, 5 new pages. What did I miss?

Or dare I ask.

I wouldn't like to hazard a guess of costs of a loaf of bread over a 27 year period let alone your list

• Registered Users Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭Pa ElGrande

Managing the grid with unreliable generation is complex and expensive, consumers will be charged accordingly in such systems. Right across the world the hard limits of unreliable generation are being realized and the discussion for electrical generation is turning from a gas to nuclear transition, with the discussion currently focused on getting on getting cost out and streamlining the provision of nuclear. Once that's worked out, unreliable generation will be recognized as the technological dead end it is for grid operation. Sweden is putting in a nuclear coordinator.

There are no towns, no islands running entirely on unreliable generation and battery storage, and it has have tried. Exclusively electrifying heating, transport and commerce means much greater demand on the grid and a complex hodgepodge of unproven unicorns are not going to be technologically or economically feasible.

Lets look at the European continent, where they are looking at real problems caused by oversupply and under-supply of energy.

Too much sun – Bayernwerk switches off PV systems

Because of the days of sunshine, many photovoltaic systems in Bavaria produced too much electricity. The network operator Bayernwerk therefore had to take some of them off the network - the networks were overloaded. An “unavoidable” process, according to Bayernwerk.

<snip>

Systems did not feed into the grid

“The system operators will not suffer any damage, they will receive money for electricity not delivered based on a model calculation,” said Martens when asked by BR24. The demand was prompted by reactions from PV system operators in the Waldmünchen area in the Cham district. This week they suddenly noticed that their respective systems were not feeding into the grid despite long periods of sunshine - then they initially thought that the systems were defective.

In fact, the systems were taken centrally off the grid as part of Bayernwerk's "bottleneck management". What is crucial, says company spokesman Martens, is how the supply of electricity and demand for it develops in accordance with a forecast. "There is a gradual regulation in which a system is taken completely, 60 percent or 30 percent off the grid, and also that we would rather take ten large systems off the grid than a hundred small ones."

The idiocy is not just confined to politics in Ireland: Switzerland on blackout course and Too much solar expansion: neighboring country is reaching its limit with its power grid.

Green hydrogen is on a hiding to nothing: Green hydrogen remains too expensive and RWE only wants to invest in green hydrogen with subsidies and Green hydrogen: Heide refinery cancels pioneering project.

Ørsted Germany and Hynamics Germany "pioneering" hydrogen plant canceled. Long-term operation of the plant to produce "green hydrogen" is not economically worthwhile, says the consortium in a press statement.

It comes down to practicality and economics, Green hydrogen exists in press releases. nuclear is proven technology, it's expensive, the problem to be solved is getting the cost out and that is where electrical energy policy focus is shifting. Wind and solar are not cheap, the balance sheets prove that, the unreliable generators can issue press releases all they want about levelised costs, that's not how consumers are billed, we have to pay for the infrastructure and reliable generation when they fail to deliver.

Net Zero means we are paying for the destruction of our economy and society in pursuit of an unachievable and pointless policy.

Facebook is excellent for groups like the Solar ones etc. Especially the ones that are closed so the people with nothing to add to the topic can be quickly kicked.

If you don't understand how facebook and groups work that a discussion for another thread

You use a Facebook group for your extremely limited understanding of the problem yet I'm the uninformed one?

That's given me a good laugh.

Ah, the good old fashioned echo chamber. Explains a lot really

There are no simple fixes to getting cheap version of nuclear onto the market. There is no SMR which will ever overcome their efficiency limitations. The big player are constantly overrunning on time and budget and teatering on the brink of bankruptcy. There are no great advances in technology which will drive down costs.

Projects are massive, unwieldy and hence risky precisely because that is the only way to make them economically viable. There will not be a factory churning out reactors for a mass market ever.

An industry which has been in decline for the last 50years will not suddenly spring back into life just because some people want it to be so.

Your whole post is just wishful thinking.

• Advertisement

You use a Facebook group for your extremely limited understanding of the problem yet I'm the uninformed one? Yes you are

Advertisement