Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hamas strike on Israel - Threadbans in op - mod warning in OP updated 19/10/23

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,630 ✭✭✭brickster69

US Middle East coordinator puts conditions on the aid coming in. Another collective punishment war crime to the list.

“The earth is littered with the ruins of empires that believed they were eternal.”

- Camille Paglia

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

John Oliver had a good explanation of the current Israeli agression

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=pJ9PKQbkJv8&pp=ygUMSXNyZWFsIGhhbWFz

• Registered Users Posts: 6,958 ✭✭✭circadian

Again, context. I said the exact same thing in my previous post but you chose to ignore it.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,921 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

I couldn't understand a word any of them were shouting. Two mouthpieces imo. I doubt anyone could hear clearly what was being shouted.

Your entire post is supposition but you state it as if it is fact. The truth is that you don't know what is going on. Anyone could make up stuff and it looks like you'd swallow it. If they had found anything of substance, which they had enough time to do so, then they would have shown it. You have been talking about them being afraid of booby traps yet they are filmed beside rucksacks, vehicles etc that they claimed had explosives and weapons. No way would they be standing beside them if they suspected anything dangerous. Other posters have said the same to you but your imagination has been running away with you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,137 ✭✭✭suvigirl

Why would you think this poster is the only one with real world experience of conflict? There are a few posters I can think of who have that experience.

I also think perhaps you're mixed up, since Israel left Gaza in the good hands of Hamas, Israel have constantly been attacked by them and have had to defend themselves, as they have done since 1948.

+1

Anyone believing propaganda from either side are merely showing their bias, whether they understand they are doing it or not

• Registered Users Posts: 1,894 ✭✭✭nachouser

• Registered Users Posts: 8,103 ✭✭✭Odhinn

~perhaps if they stopped colonising outside their borders things would go more smoothely for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,635 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Israel has killed more Palestinians in the last 6 weeks than Palestinians have killed Israeli's since the foundation of Israel in 1948.

• Advertisement

How much land has Hamas grabbed from Israel since 1948?

They seem to be bombing refugee camps for fun. Maybe it is actually is genocide.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,628 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Israel has had Gaza under blockade since before Hamas came to power. Certain relatively well known Irish people were involved in a flotilla to try to break it back over 10 years ago

Care to regale us of your own combat experience? Bit of a schmozzle at the chipvan in the town square after the nightclub closed when you were 18? I asked @jmreire because he knows what he is talking about. No need for other posters to get their knickers in a twist

• Registered Users Posts: 6,958 ✭✭✭circadian

"Since mid-October 2023, over 33,551 cases of diarrhea have been reported. Over half of these are among children under age five -- a significant increase compared to an average of 2000 cases monthly in children under five throughout 2021 and 2022"

For anyone that might be unaware, diarrhea is the second largest killer of under fives in the world. Having water supplies cut off will almost certainly guarantee a high number of deaths in this regard.

A third of Gaza is now either destroyed or damaged.

"The humanitarian crisis in Potocari, the burning of homes in Srebrenica and Potocari, the terrorisation of Bosnian Muslim civilians, the murder of thousands of Bosnian Muslim civilians, in Potocari or in carefully orchestrated mass scale executions, and the forcible transfer of the women, children and elderly out of the territory controlled by the Bosnian Serbs, constitute persecutory acts."

"Intent by the Bosnian Serb forces to target the Bosnian Muslims of Srebrenica as a group is further evidenced by their destroying homes of Bosnian Muslims in Srebrenica and Potocari1336 and the principal mosque in Srebrenica soon after the attack."

Intent of genocide was defined in the Serbian trials, by the same measure they can be applied here too.

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭batman75

Hamas would have known the potential consequences of its massacre of Israelis on October 7th. The incursion into Israel humiliated Netanyahu who prides himself on being a strong man who can protect his people. It gave a green light to the extremists in Netanyahu's government to go in hard against Hamas though in reality the Palestinian people in general in Gaza.

Israel facilitated the coming into being of Hamas as a counter to the PLO. The ideal outcome for Israel was a Palestinian civil war. Which hasn't happened. Gaza has been an open air prison for decades. It is a form of concentration camp due to the restrictions imposed by Israel on Gaza. The people in power in Israel for decades have viewed Palestinians as the Nazi's viewed Jews.

It is distressing that this is so. Even more ridiculous when you consider that it is the Palestinians who were shafted from their land to create the state of Israel. I think the narrative is slowly changing whereby criticism of Israel can no longer be easily dismissed as Anti Semitism. Israel is committing genocide in Gaza. Biden could stop it but chooses not too. Making him complicit in war crimes.

The people of Palestine are entitled to a state of their own and the right to govern their assigned territory with free will free from Israeli interference in exchange for Israel being allowed to exist in peace. The only tenable solution is a two state one. Israel must be made to dismantle all settlements on what is seen today as legally Palestinian territory

The Israelis are showing a distressing level of cruelty and inhumanity to their fellow man. Considering the holocaust you would think they would be better than this.

So much of what is happening is incredibly depressing. It really is. Major governments in Europe and the EU itself giving the thumbs up to Israel from the very get go rather than counselling for pause and a more focused response has been sickening. So too has been US support. Not just that they're giving so much military support to Israel, we always knew they were going to do that. But the almost gleeful way that Biden has supported them with only mealy mouthed comments on Palestinian suffering. The censuring of Rashida Tlaib was another very dark mark from the US side. If Biden contests next years election, I hope he wins it because all he has done really is the same any of them are going to do and the alternative, a Republican President in todays world is an infinitely worse prospect.

But the most depressing element of this, as you said yourself, has been 'The Israelis are showing a distressing level of cruelty and inhumanity to their fellow man.'

The phrase 'Never Again' was held in such reverence for the last 80 years as people acknowledged the suffering of the Jewish community and we somehow believed that collectively we would work to prevent such a thing happening again. I know there's been cases of similar brutality meted out on communities since then (Rwanda/Kosovo/Myanmar/Sri Lanka) to name just a few, but to see actual Jewish people say pretty much the same thing about Palestinians, their community and country now as the Nazi's said about them has come close to dissolving any hope I personally held that the lessons of the Jewish suffering had been learnt.

The warmongers in Israel disgrace the memory of those who died in the holocaust. And I don't say that lightly.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,520 ✭✭✭jmreire

My take on the whole situation is based on what I see happening, and the conditions it is happening under, and it is just my personal opinion. So, if anyone is looking for proofs etc, sorry. Best look elsewhere.

Re the Tunnels: - Up to the present (and pre-7th Nov) some 20'000 missiles had hit Israel, the majority of these missiles were fired after Israel left Gaza in 2005. Then in the early hours of 7th Nov, Hamas again began launching missiles into Israel, and on that day some 3'000 missiles were fired. Since then, a further 7'000 missiles have been launched.

So now just to focus on the above paragraph. Since Nov 7th, alone 10'000 missiles have been used by Hamas, and are still being used, even at a reduced rate as the IDF take more control. Obviously, Hamas were well prepared for the attack on Israel, and still have thousands of missiles left. (Just how many exactly is the question) So for sure they have been using and expanding these tunnels since 2005. How else would they have been able to acquire and store all these missiles (and many other things too) undetected, only for the tunnels? The sheer logistics are staggering. Hamas are still active in them and will continue to use them until the IDF manages to flush them out and destroy the tunnels themselves. In as much as it will be possible to destroy them or to put them beyond use by Hamas. And this will take time, lots of time. And I'm pretty sure that plenty of evidence will be uncovered proving Hamas's occupation of the tunnels. You simply cannot occupy a place for years on end, and not leave evidence of your stay. ( of course, Israel will have a very difficult time now persuading anyone that this time, they are telling the truth) The way a lot of posters are taking the view that all Israel is claiming is just lies, and that there never was a command post under the hospital etc. are not taking into account the fact that the number of Tunnels so far investigated is miniscule, a tiny fraction of the total. The point you make about Azovstal is very valid in the context of the Gaza tunnels. Look at how long it took the Russians take it? And the human and other costs? And had the Ukrainians managed to get better logistical support in terms of weapons, food and medicine, it would have taken the Russians a lot longer to take it. For Hamas, food, medicine and safe shelter will not be a problem thanks to the tunnels.

Your comment re the tunnels being the justification for the deaths of so many Palestinians, for the Israeli's it lies in the fact of just how much of a threat these tunnels pose to them. And according to their logic, if there are going to be deaths, better them than us.

I've only just seen this post.

CNN posted earlier today that the IDF 'probably' placed guns in the locations in the Al-Shifa hospital in which they were found. Also today it has come out that Israel response to the Hamas attack on the 7th of October resulted in the deaths of Israeli's.

Time and time and time again over the last several weeks the Israeli narrative has changed, shifted, been deleted, or proven to be false. People questioning official narratives on here have been proven that it is wise to do so. This is based on the reality of how events have unfurled.

If possible, with respect to prior to Oct 7th, what evidence is there to suggest that it is a complete and utter lie that Palestinian does not support Hamas? I know you referenced a report that apparently was countered and you disagree with that fact rather than it just being accepted as fact. As I've just said, we've seen time and again that information presented has been false or twisted, or a flat out lie. Elections were last held in Gaza in 2006, that's 17 years ago. The youngest person who voted in them is probably 34 or 35 now in an area where the median age is just 18 and 65% of the population are under 24. And all this is after Hamas received just 44% of the vote in 2007 (Fatah received 41%).

Given the volume of protests there have been in support of the Palestine movement worldwide, there's been remarkably few cases of extremists at these marches calling for Israel's destruction, of course these people exist, but to suggest that this implies that this is what the entirety of the people of Gaza want is without basis. And we have seen Israeli supporters, outlets and officials say equally heinous statements about Palestine and the Palestinians. Except that that is a government minister or Body saying it in a professional capacity rather than some singular errant protestor at a march somewhere.

Given what has happened in the last month or so, we can no longer say what the Palestinians view of Hamas was prior to Oct 7th, the water has been muddied too much with Israel's actions. How could anyone not understand how someone would be inclined to side with anyone who might give them a chance to avenge their hurt and loss? What we do know is that that Nethanyahu knew that an emboldened Hamas would help Israel achieve its goals and here we are, watching them ransack parts of Gaza and plan its flag on top of buildings.

And for the nth time, understanding where and how Hamas came from is not pro-Hamas, no matter how frequently it is claimed to be the case. It is simply acknowledging the facts of the situation. Before this conflict, I disagreed with Israel's behaviour, its flouting of UN resolutions, its continued transgressions with respect to settlements, it's defacto control of Gaza and it's undermining of Palestinian civilians within Israel. I now see Israel under its current guise of what is an acknowledged right wing government as a rogue state and as I've expressed repeatedly on here, I worry about what that will mean for Jewish people worldwide and conscientious people within Israel including the families of hostages who are calling for a ceasefire.

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭sock.rocker*

Understanding has come to mean support since echo chambers have taken over. At least boards.ie manages to continually expose us to the "other side" and it's better than just residing in a comfy little community of people who only agree.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,827 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

For Hamas to store 10,000 missiles (based on the Qassam 4 missile) they would need the equivalent space of 5x 40 foot shipping containers. Or stacked 1 lengthwise in a tunnel, a tunnel measuring 25km long. They don't really need to expand the tunnels that much to store them.

The tunnels under Gaza have been portrayed like a James bond villain's super lair, but nearly 4 weeks in, **** all real detailed evidence of it.

I heard the Israeli ambassador to the UK claim there's 1000km of tunnels and every second building in Gaza has a entrance to them. Seems ludicrous.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,412 ✭✭✭Homelander

I posted the survey that was countered and I disagreed with said counter? Where? Because I did not. Unless you mean the person who posted "evidence" that the survey was wrong and it was just a link to an article about a protest.

Because that proves nothing except that not everyone in Gaza supports Hamas. I certainly never claimed otherwise, and no survey supports that view, and frankly not even the most corrupt, despotic states even pretend to try claim that the entire population supports them, eg Putin's Russia.

I also certainly did not reference "the entirety" of Gaza?

I assume you're refering to the survey that said there was 60 percent strong support for Hamas and then the other survey, from a much smaller poll, said there was 30 percent strong support for Hamas.

I had no problem whatsoever with the other survey and said as much. I certainly didn't deny it, discredit it, or claim it to be wrong, so honestly I don't get where the argument is that I disagreed with it comes from.

So even if we assumed that both polls are accurate, even when one is much smaller, and meet in the middle, that equates to not far off 45-50 percent strong support. Let's say it is 40.

In what world is that percentage of strong support weak? I would say if you polled the population in many EU countries you wouldn't even reach those levels of "strong" support for the sitting Government.

And let's also address the fact that polls show completley dismal support for the PA in both Gaza and Palestine.

It discredits those who go to lengths to act like the Palestinian population is completely seperate from Hamas. It discredits the notion that Palestinians do not support Hamas.

No-one is claiming that every Palestinian man, woman, child and animal supports Hamas. But the fact is a very significant chunk of the population does. I'm not passing judgement; I can certainly see why. But a fact is a fact.

That doesn't mean what's happening is fine or that anyone deserves anything that's happening. But it is a fact that needs to be discussed and not ignored because it does not fit a certain narrative.

You've also said that understanding where and how Hamas came from is not pro-Hamas. Can you point out where I said it did? Because I expressly did not and I completely agree with that exact sentiment.

I said the polar opposite, that understanding something is in no way, shape or form endorsing something.

I specifically referenced those - and they are a select few - who take the vaguest rumor about Israel actions to be gospel, while actively downplaying everything that paints Hamas in a negative light.

People are right to challenge narratives. I don't for a second believe the IDF to be credible. I've never said otherwise. And not believing someone, or something, to not be credible doesn't mean that they aren't truthful or right, it just means that you don't automatically believe what's being said and demand a higher burden of proof.

Which is completely fine. Except some posters here are taking rumour, speculation, etc that shows Israel in a bad light instantly as pure gospel, yet when anything similar about Hamas crops up, it's dismissed as just that - rumor, unproven, unverified, propaganda, etc.

We completely and fundementally agree that discussing facts, understanding facts, actions and respective viewpoints of either Hamas or IDF is simply just that and not a siding or endorsement of either.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,582 ✭✭✭amandstu

Have you got a link or information regarding the methodologies of the (2?)polls that were conducted?

The first question that occurs to me is how free are the respondents to

(a) give their choice and

(b) how free are they to have an informed opinion in the first place.?

Also why and by whom were the polls conducted and how likely or easy would it have been to simply falsify them(give fake results)?

I am naive by nature and tend to credit these things but when I think on them ,I wonder are these questions that need to be asked?

It wouldn't surprise me at all if the results were ,sadly pretty representative of opinion but maybe that is just my bias.

Important to know,I would say.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,412 ✭✭✭Homelander

I have zero information of the methodology.

As I said previous, I'm sure polling people in the likes of Gaza is incredibly difficult, as it would be in other places like Russia, but people do it regardless.

How accurate the information is, of course we can't say it's irrefutably so for various reasons but it is a good indication and generally, they both align with more informal internal polls that show degrees of relatively strong support for Hamas in Palestine (West Bank and Gaza).

By relatively strong I mean in the widely understood sense, eg 30-50%, I am not sure why some people think a political poll should be way higher. If you polled an EU country right now I doubt you'd get 50% strong support for a sitting Government.

Both also show opposition to Hamas but again that is to be expected. I don't think anyone has ever claimed that Hamas enjoys universal support. Even the most wildly popular Governments don't have anything close to that in any country.

It's more about gauging support for Hamas which seems relatively strong and challenging the narrative by some that Palestinians are completely seperate from governing Hamas.

The later and bigger poll also directly asked about the Oct 7th attack and there was very strong support. Is it 100% reliable? Polls never are even under the most free of conditions. But they are a good indicator.

I think the latest polls in Russia show support for the war at around 70% for example. That means some 30 odd million Russians are either indifferent, uncertain, or plain against the war, and no-one would deny that, but it can't be avoided that the fact remains that the majority support it.

As to who, the bigger poll is an arab think-tank which I believe is based in Palestine. The smaller poll referenced you'd have to check.

While I accept the poll can't be taken as pure gospel, I don't think they would be falsified as the larger one comes from a genuinely credible source.

Finally, I can understand completely why Palestinians would support Hamas. I'm not judging anyone, nor suggesting they deserve anything that's happening because they do. I am more interested in facts and reality and how said facts relate to the conflict.

Israeli helicopters fired on their own on October 7th a the party. I did point this out a while ago but it was just speculation at the time so will dump it all this morning, now it has been confirmed

“The earth is littered with the ruins of empires that believed they were eternal.”

- Camille Paglia

Israel to possibly bring in new death penalty law.

- Camille Paglia

- Camille Paglia

How many suicide bombs and rockets have they sent in their direction?

You're suggesting that terrorist violence is justified because of illegal Israeli settlements in the West bank.

There's always going to be 'they did this, but the others did that' neither justifies the others actions, but it does make them understandable

Sounds like Israeli ship will have to go around Africa to get back and forth. Last thing we need is ships getting sunk in the Suez canal.

- Camille Paglia

Yesh Din, an Israeli rights group, reports that 197 Palestinians in the West Bank have been killed by settlers or Israeli forces since Oct. 7. The United Nations reports that, in the same time frame, at least 121 Palestinian households — about 1,150 people, including 452 children — have been displaced by settler violence and access restrictions.

Daily incidents of settler violence rose from three a day earlier this year to seven since the attacks, per the United Nations. About 11 Palestinian communities have been completely abandoned in 2023 alone, according to the West Bank Protection Consortium, six of them since Hamas’ assault.

It must be some craic to be Jewish, leave America, get cheap land in Palestine, get tax cuts, and murder Muslims in your free time with the support of your country and religion. Living the dream.

• Advertisement

Something like 8-10% of Israel's population is living on stolen land. I hope the US and other countries just revokes visas for all settlers, not just the violent ones. Or ideally, all Israelis until they give back the land.

Why aren't they properly sanctioned for this like literally any other country would be? There are like 200 countries and Israel is the only one that isn't held to any standards. Palestinians can't even leave Gaza while Israelis can go anywhere in the world, including into the home of a family in the West Bank with a gun and some revolting murdering shlthead from the IDF standing behind them in case the family are terrorists and resist.

Advertisement