Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilkenny GAA Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,223 ✭✭✭evolvingtipperary101

Savage player. Reinvented his game in several positions (not a quality admired enough in GAA). You know a player is special when he is asked to solve areas all over the field because very few are asked to do that (because most can't). Good hurling brain, very creative and dogged. A joy to watch.

Pádraig Walsh brilliance! Cork vs Kilkenny in the Allianz Leagues. - YouTube

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭tibruit

In the last two years Clare got two runs at us, neither Cork nor Tipp could beat Galway. Anyway shur we`ll give it a shot again next year with our five All Stars.

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭Alonzo Moseley

Kilkenny have "no chance" of winning the All Ireland??

They are 2nd favourites and justifiably so. So the answer as to whether they have a serious chance is of course yes.

If the answer is no, then just award the title to Lim now, because Kilkenny have at least as good a chance of winning it as Clare and Galway and better than Cork and Tipp, and miles better than Waterford, Wex or Dublin. If we have "no chance" then the same logically applies to all of those counties.

I hope Kilkenny get to an AI final, and if it's Limerick in the final and we get beaten again, so be it. The idea that you'd lose an AI semi rather than risk losing again to Limerick in final is pathetic. The reality right now is that if Limerick are awaiting in the final, the opposing team will be a big underdog, and that whatever team that faces them (not just Kilkenny) will likely lose.

Kilkenny won just 2 AI's between 1935 and 1957 (and might well have lost both those too) and lost a whole host of finals and semis. Simply because outstanding Tipp and Cork teams were usually just too strong for us in that period, but they never gave in to an idea that "what's the point, we will probably lose again in final and that would be a disaster". In fact that period is very like the curernt one, a few outstanding individual players (Paddy Phelan, Jim Langton, Terry Leahy, Jack Mulcahy,) but a lot of average ones too.

We beat Tipp 4 years in a row 2011-2014 and it was great, and while it was undoubtedly sore for them, Tipp never thought about avoiding us for fear they would lose 3,4 5 ina row etc. You can never think like that, you just put in your best performance and hope it's good enough.

Bottom line, you never let the fear of losing deter you, and there is no shame in being the 2nd best team in Ireland when the best team is a machine like Limerick

• Registered Users Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭Grats

• Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭corner back 2

@jimmythesulk Congratulations to a "badly run club" on reaching an U21 county final.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭jimmythesulk

Fair play, but why not mention the grade in the tweet. Are they embarrassed to be playing in such a low grade.

Post edited by jimmythesulk on

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭Marrooned

A very low cut indeed. Whatever grade it is every club in the county love to win a county final . The very best of luck to Kilmacow in the final.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭PeggyShippen

Ah I didn't mean to cause insult. Sorry but there's no way Kilkenny are better than Cork or Tipperary. You've lost in Croke Park the last time you've played both teams. Infact you've lost to everyone from munster in Croke Park over the last 6 years except Clare and thats Clares fault. I couldn't see this Kilkenny team beating Tipp and certainlynot Cork. Clare have really failed to fire a shot in Croke Park against Kilkenny and to give Kilkenny their dues they perform to the best of their limited ability . They are in a province thats as weak as water. They play in Croke Park every year.

Why not give youth its fling and blood these young guys like Drennan properly . The axis of Fogarty, Wally and Buckley is a shocking indictment of where Kilkenny are at. Ye are supposed to be the Flag bearers of our sport like a Real Madrid ...but ye look more like a Shamrock Rovers at the moment.

Support 🇮🇱 Israel

• Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭corner back 2

I doubt they are embarrassed at all at reaching a county final. Definitely not as embarrassing as your comments at this stage!

A low grade on paper maybe. Tullogher Rosbercon were pipped in a Minor A final two years ago and I wouldn`t be surprised if Glenmore beat them tomorrow. All these competitions are hard fought and hard won in the latter stages. Good luck to Kilmacow. Some of the negativity expressed here is incredible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 953 ✭✭✭conor05

This has to be a wind-up?

Kilkenny would of definitely beaten Tipp the last two years.

This years and without a shadow of a doubt last years Tipp team has to be one of the worst I’ve ever seen take to Munster championship.

I reckon Ballyhale would of beaten the Colm Bonnar Tipp team they were so unfit and lost every Munster match.

Cork are bang average though, a lot of soft hurlers and I’d fancy Kilkenny to beat them if they met next year and Waterford are on a similar level to Wexford and Dublin this last two years and now with Austin Gleeson gone.

Only really leaves Limerick and Galway who Kilkenny have to worry about if truth be told.

• Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭lim4ev

To be fair they're 2nd favourites cos they're guaranteed to be in a qf at worst and most likely a semi final.

Other than that I agree totally

• Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

Load of shite, we would have bet cork pulling up the last few years only they hadn't the bottle to get far enough to meet us. Mark my words we will beat them this year if they don't **** the bed as always.

If tipp and cork are so great why have we been playing (and comprehensively beating) Clare in semis the last couple of years? Looking forward to hearing why they're secretly better than Clare but somehow can't win through against them.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

I'd love an open draw, just like Cody called for twenty years ago, if only Munster teams would ever go for it...

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭usualstripes

Yes its Roinn C but Kilmacow beat the Shamrocks in the quarter final. What answer would you get from a Shamrocks man if you asked them if they were embarrassed? Fairly ignorant comment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭PeggyShippen

The Munster Championship is better than the All Ireland series. That was starkly obvious last year. We'd never want to get rid of the jewel in hurlings crown. The crowds are phenominal . Dwarfs every other GAA competition .An open draw would be great for leinster and Ulster..id admit that.

Support 🇮🇱 Israel

• Registered Users Posts: 640 ✭✭✭Mad about baa baas

You would have to love the munster championship..you support 2 of the 5 teams after all... I wonder to the limerick lads cherish the munster medals more than the liam Mccarthy..somehow I doubt it..

You are also forgetting the fact that Waterford have been so poor recently that essentially 3 out of 4 teams went through. And in 2022 tipp were shocking too so 2 of the 5 teams were poor..

Your rose-tinted glasses are really just remembering the excellent games between your 2 chosen teams limerick and clare

Post edited by Mad about baa baas on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭Billy Ocean

Between this shite and your avatar your not helping yourself 🤦‍♂️

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭kentu

PeggyShippen is best being off being ignored on this thread, getting great Joy of rubbing Kilkenny people up the wrong way, can't continue to have a conversation by themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭JJs Left Hand

This. It's the end of November, I can't believe people are reacting

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭Alonzo Moseley

"Infact you've lost to everyone from Munster in Croke Park over the last 6 years except Clare.." Really?

Not getting sucked into a Munster/Leinster quagmire discussion, but Kilkenny beat both Cork and Limerick in Croke Park in 2019.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭Charlie69

Exactly… he doesn’t even have the facts right… obviously trolling .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,319 ✭✭✭Village87

All competitions in Kilkenny are hard to win especially this time of year with home and away and weather conditions. Glenmore must be excellent u21, are Ian Bryne, Cathal Bryne and young Reid not in with the Kilkenny Seniors ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,747 ✭✭✭brookville

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Kilkenny red

Won the under 21 c grade 2years ago and even do they lost very few players the following year they showed no ambition to go up to under 21 b grade, got to final of under 21 c last year and lost to mullinavat,back again in final this year,personally I think it's always better to move up to next grade if you can complete

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Senditinlow

Should they not have automatically gone up to B last year after winning the previous year's C competition. Think this crop won the Minor B three years ago...so should be in A really this year. But this is what happens when you've someone we'll up in the Co Board

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭Nedflanders02

Are Cathal Beirne and Billy Reid only after been called up to the seniors this winter? Didn't realise they were involved last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭KK36

Who have Glenmore got that's well up in the county board?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭usualstripes

Glenmore beat Tullogher 2-05 to 1-05 in Glenmore yesterday in the U21 Roinn C semi final. A gale force wind was blowing diagonally down the field with Glenmore in the 1st half but scores were hard to come by on both sides. Tullogher had the bulk of the play in the 1st half but couldnt convert their chances. Glenmore had a man sent off 10 mins into the 2nd half and pulled everyone back thereafter and this suited their game. Marty Murphy for Tullogher came into the game with a back injury and that hampered his movement all the way through. Danny Glennon didnt start for Tullogher due to a hamstring injury but came on in the 2nd half. Chances were hard to come by on both sides and it really came down to Glenmore converting more of their frees than Tullogher, albeit a low scoring affair. Colman O Sulivan scored 1-01 from play for Tullogher and the other scores came from frees. I think Cathal Beirne scored the 2 goals for Glenmore and Ian Byrne scored the 5 points from frees. A drab enough affair but conditions this time of year are not lending themselves to free flowing hurling.

Advertisement