Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Munster Team Talk Thread - New season title pending....

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,675 ✭✭✭thinkabouit

I genuinely wouldnt no where to start with that one lol

best move on… Leinster next?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,314 ✭✭✭✭phog

I suppose some fans are getting like Matt Williams, want no stoppages, see no value in two teams competing at the breakdown, at scrum or want tactical kicking etc.

If you want a rugby league type game then tonight wasn't for you but if you appreciate when two teams go out to play rugby on a wet windy evening, competed hard and fairly and you expect and accept errors then you might, like me, think it was a great game.

It's a game I'd watch back again without having think this will be painful.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,053 ✭✭✭Lost Ormond

It wasnt a great game though. Go away comparing me to that spoofer williams. I have never said anyhing like that clown has written about the scrum or any other area of the game

It was a wet miserable evening but the game was crap regardless of that weather. Just because you thought the teams competed well and had few errors(30+ missed tackles in game just 1 stat that stands out) doesnt make a game a great one.

I certainly wouldnt watch it back.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,421 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Different sports are affected to a different extent by weather conditions. Rugby must be the ball game most affected. Rugby in wet weather is a totally different game to dry. Bit of an ould Munster 10 man slogfest. Enjoyed it enough, given the weather, but won't be watching it back. Crowley was hit in the neck twice. Fellas are getting clever enough to avoid head contact.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,561 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Just watched the highlights and was impressed with the pack. They appeared well up for this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,420 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

I thought it was a brilliant match. Two evenly matched teams slogging it out in difficult conditions.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,679 ✭✭✭clsmooth

I wonder if those commenting on how brilliant the game was would be saying the same if Stormers had won that 10-3?

Good win in tough conditions. Felt they could have played the conditions a bit better particularly in the first half. Stormers had a lot of success kicking contestables whilst I thought Munster kicked long more often. Would have been a good day to cross kick to POM on the wing for example.

Delighted to see Edogbo get the winning try. He’s been superb so far this season (and last to be fair)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭ulsteru20s

I don’t know if it was a good game but it was fun for me to watch. I thought Jack Crowley showed a lot of character. He kicked well, took a few big hits and just got up and kept going. He seems tough as nails which is a good 10 trait.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭pappyodaniel

Hit in the neck as opposed to the head? I doubt it. 99% of head contact hits aren't intentional. It's a fluke when you go high and avoid the head.

• Advertisement

I wonder if those commenting on how brilliant the game was would be saying the same if Stormers had won that 10-3?

What a strange thought, almost sounds like how you rate matches.

I’m sure I do, as do most people. It’s called outcome bias. Wouldn’t have objectively described that as a great or brilliant game.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,886 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Depends how you define good really. I generally enjoy close games for the tension and drama that brings in and of itself but I wouldn't exactly be rushing to watch it back.

Mmm, not sure most people would but there you go, to each their own, I suppose.

I rate matches as they play out not waiting until the final whistle and checking the scoreboard to inform me how good, bad or indifferent the game was, I'd imagine a majority of fans would too.

Fwiw, I've often said that Munster v Wasps in a H/C SF in Lansdowne Road was a brilliant game. Munster lost it.

I would say everyone is affected by cognitive biases. Very interesting topic, worth reading up on as a lot of advertising targets and takes advantage of these ‘shortcuts’ in our rational thinking. Black Friday to use a current example would involve biases such as fear of missing out, the scarcity effect and anchoring off the top of my head.

Fair point. Decent game but I don’t think I’d be inclined to watch it back either. The bar is probably set higher than it usually would be at this time of the season after some of the games we recently saw in the World Cup

• Registered Users Posts: 5,931 ✭✭✭jacothelad

Yes. The Champions Cup is imminent and it's just about 10 weeks to the 6 Nations

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭Pepp1989

Was at the game. Biggest issue for me with Munster at the moment is the accuracy at the breakdown is very poor.

Strange call swapping the props so early as well considering the same lads struggled in Ulster and then struggled again v Stormers.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Despite a much better run of results in the opening games this season, I'm very concerned about the breakdown, and the overall style of play is not leaving me super optimistic about what lies ahead.

Getting Kleyn and Beirne back will help a lot with the former. The latter might be a bigger challenge to fix.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,988 ✭✭✭leakyboots

Josh Wycherley hasn't progressed as much as you'd have hoped in the scrum, I know he's had injury troubles. I think John Ryan is going to be a very important player this year, he can lock out a scrum against most opponents. Archer was brilliant at the end of the season so we need him to reach those heights again.

I don't expect us to be perfect at this stage of the season, there's a long road ahead. Kleyn partnered with Beirne and Edogbo off the bench is mouthwatering!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭ulsteru20s

I’d worry about the set pieces.

I think the actual phase play offense will come together like last year. Its so possession heavy i feel like it will probably be messy early every season.

From the squad update

Following Saturday’s win over Stormers, Peter O’Mahony (shoulder) and Jack O’Donoghue (ankle) will both go for scans on their respective injuries.

Diarmuid Barron has progressed through the return to play protocols and will be available for selection.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭ersatz

Yeah, I'd say he'll be in camps fairly quickly if he is getting minutes for Munster and then who knows. New environment, new coaching and culture. That might be enough to improve his game, we've seen the same thing happen with a number of other NZ based players who didn't make the AB grade but improved enormously in Ireland.

A lot of experience going for those scans at a crucial time of the season, hope the prognosis isn't too bad

I'm actually less concerned about set piece. Lineout was actually very good against Stormers, Buckley threw well, and we used Edogbo, Beirne, POM and I think Coombes.

Scrum is hanging in there, but has more to show for itself I think.

Niall Scannell will be back by Xmas so that could help with the scrum. Great that Barron is back

Thornley also reported today that Jager will be here this week and whether he features this weekend will depend on "whether he flew business" according to wig 🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 5,282 ✭✭✭twinytwo

Not sure tbh, i think Archer is long gone past his sell by date. I was never convinced on Wycherley. They come up against even a semi decent prop and fold like cheap suits.

And yet Archer was so good in the home stretch last season.

But we are largely reliant on depth right now, both in the front and second rows.

Second row is likely contributing to the issues. While Edogbo and Ahern are exciting prospects they'd not yet be bringing the experience and power of a seasoned tight-head lock. Beirne, for all he brings, is also a touch on the light side.

So perhaps a simple way to look at things but... much like the breakdown area... is it just a case of getting Kleyn back in there to bolster things up?

• Advertisement

I wonder if he's ready for Saturday or will they wait until the Glasgow game to start him

Advertisement