Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hamas strike on Israel - Threadbans in op - mod warning in OP updated 19/10/23

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,801 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

For Hamas to store 10,000 missiles (based on the Qassam 4 missile) they would need the equivalent space of 5x 40 foot shipping containers. Or stacked 1 lengthwise in a tunnel, a tunnel measuring 25km long. They don't really need to expand the tunnels that much to store them.

The tunnels under Gaza have been portrayed like a James bond villain's super lair, but nearly 4 weeks in, **** all real detailed evidence of it.

I heard the Israeli ambassador to the UK claim there's 1000km of tunnels and every second building in Gaza has a entrance to them. Seems ludicrous.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭Homelander

I posted the survey that was countered and I disagreed with said counter? Where? Because I did not. Unless you mean the person who posted "evidence" that the survey was wrong and it was just a link to an article about a protest.

Because that proves nothing except that not everyone in Gaza supports Hamas. I certainly never claimed otherwise, and no survey supports that view, and frankly not even the most corrupt, despotic states even pretend to try claim that the entire population supports them, eg Putin's Russia.

I also certainly did not reference "the entirety" of Gaza?

I assume you're refering to the survey that said there was 60 percent strong support for Hamas and then the other survey, from a much smaller poll, said there was 30 percent strong support for Hamas.

I had no problem whatsoever with the other survey and said as much. I certainly didn't deny it, discredit it, or claim it to be wrong, so honestly I don't get where the argument is that I disagreed with it comes from.

So even if we assumed that both polls are accurate, even when one is much smaller, and meet in the middle, that equates to not far off 45-50 percent strong support. Let's say it is 40.

In what world is that percentage of strong support weak? I would say if you polled the population in many EU countries you wouldn't even reach those levels of "strong" support for the sitting Government.

And let's also address the fact that polls show completley dismal support for the PA in both Gaza and Palestine.

It discredits those who go to lengths to act like the Palestinian population is completely seperate from Hamas. It discredits the notion that Palestinians do not support Hamas.

No-one is claiming that every Palestinian man, woman, child and animal supports Hamas. But the fact is a very significant chunk of the population does. I'm not passing judgement; I can certainly see why. But a fact is a fact.

That doesn't mean what's happening is fine or that anyone deserves anything that's happening. But it is a fact that needs to be discussed and not ignored because it does not fit a certain narrative.

You've also said that understanding where and how Hamas came from is not pro-Hamas. Can you point out where I said it did? Because I expressly did not and I completely agree with that exact sentiment.

I said the polar opposite, that understanding something is in no way, shape or form endorsing something.

I specifically referenced those - and they are a select few - who take the vaguest rumor about Israel actions to be gospel, while actively downplaying everything that paints Hamas in a negative light.

People are right to challenge narratives. I don't for a second believe the IDF to be credible. I've never said otherwise. And not believing someone, or something, to not be credible doesn't mean that they aren't truthful or right, it just means that you don't automatically believe what's being said and demand a higher burden of proof.

Which is completely fine. Except some posters here are taking rumour, speculation, etc that shows Israel in a bad light instantly as pure gospel, yet when anything similar about Hamas crops up, it's dismissed as just that - rumor, unproven, unverified, propaganda, etc.

We completely and fundementally agree that discussing facts, understanding facts, actions and respective viewpoints of either Hamas or IDF is simply just that and not a siding or endorsement of either.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭amandstu

Have you got a link or information regarding the methodologies of the (2?)polls that were conducted?

The first question that occurs to me is how free are the respondents to

(a) give their choice and

(b) how free are they to have an informed opinion in the first place.?

Also why and by whom were the polls conducted and how likely or easy would it have been to simply falsify them(give fake results)?

I am naive by nature and tend to credit these things but when I think on them ,I wonder are these questions that need to be asked?

It wouldn't surprise me at all if the results were ,sadly pretty representative of opinion but maybe that is just my bias.

Important to know,I would say.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭Homelander

I have zero information of the methodology.

As I said previous, I'm sure polling people in the likes of Gaza is incredibly difficult, as it would be in other places like Russia, but people do it regardless.

How accurate the information is, of course we can't say it's irrefutably so for various reasons but it is a good indication and generally, they both align with more informal internal polls that show degrees of relatively strong support for Hamas in Palestine (West Bank and Gaza).

By relatively strong I mean in the widely understood sense, eg 30-50%, I am not sure why some people think a political poll should be way higher. If you polled an EU country right now I doubt you'd get 50% strong support for a sitting Government.

Both also show opposition to Hamas but again that is to be expected. I don't think anyone has ever claimed that Hamas enjoys universal support. Even the most wildly popular Governments don't have anything close to that in any country.

It's more about gauging support for Hamas which seems relatively strong and challenging the narrative by some that Palestinians are completely seperate from governing Hamas.

The later and bigger poll also directly asked about the Oct 7th attack and there was very strong support. Is it 100% reliable? Polls never are even under the most free of conditions. But they are a good indicator.

I think the latest polls in Russia show support for the war at around 70% for example. That means some 30 odd million Russians are either indifferent, uncertain, or plain against the war, and no-one would deny that, but it can't be avoided that the fact remains that the majority support it.

As to who, the bigger poll is an arab think-tank which I believe is based in Palestine. The smaller poll referenced you'd have to check.

While I accept the poll can't be taken as pure gospel, I don't think they would be falsified as the larger one comes from a genuinely credible source.

Finally, I can understand completely why Palestinians would support Hamas. I'm not judging anyone, nor suggesting they deserve anything that's happening because they do. I am more interested in facts and reality and how said facts relate to the conflict.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,523 ✭✭✭brickster69

Israeli helicopters fired on their own on October 7th a the party. I did point this out a while ago but it was just speculation at the time so will dump it all this morning, now it has been confirmed

“The earth is littered with the ruins of empires that believed they were eternal.”

- Camille Paglia

• Advertisement

Israel to possibly bring in new death penalty law.

“The earth is littered with the ruins of empires that believed they were eternal.”

- Camille Paglia

- Camille Paglia

• Registered Users Posts: 7,581 ✭✭✭suvigirl

How many suicide bombs and rockets have they sent in their direction?

You're suggesting that terrorist violence is justified because of illegal Israeli settlements in the West bank.

There's always going to be 'they did this, but the others did that' neither justifies the others actions, but it does make them understandable

Sounds like Israeli ship will have to go around Africa to get back and forth. Last thing we need is ships getting sunk in the Suez canal.

- Camille Paglia

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭sock.rocker*

Yesh Din, an Israeli rights group, reports that 197 Palestinians in the West Bank have been killed by settlers or Israeli forces since Oct. 7. The United Nations reports that, in the same time frame, at least 121 Palestinian households — about 1,150 people, including 452 children — have been displaced by settler violence and access restrictions.

Daily incidents of settler violence rose from three a day earlier this year to seven since the attacks, per the United Nations. About 11 Palestinian communities have been completely abandoned in 2023 alone, according to the West Bank Protection Consortium, six of them since Hamas’ assault.

It must be some craic to be Jewish, leave America, get cheap land in Palestine, get tax cuts, and murder Muslims in your free time with the support of your country and religion. Living the dream.

• Advertisement

Something like 8-10% of Israel's population is living on stolen land. I hope the US and other countries just revokes visas for all settlers, not just the violent ones. Or ideally, all Israelis until they give back the land.

Why aren't they properly sanctioned for this like literally any other country would be? There are like 200 countries and Israel is the only one that isn't held to any standards. Palestinians can't even leave Gaza while Israelis can go anywhere in the world, including into the home of a family in the West Bank with a gun and some revolting murdering shlthead from the IDF standing behind them in case the family are terrorists and resist.

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭freebritney

They don't even think you're allowed to defend a hospital being attacked by an army. I doubt they think families in the West Bank are allowed to defend themselves either.

Which land are you referring to though? The lands taken after they were invaded by their neighbours in 1948/1967 ? Or the more recent illegal settlements

• Registered Users Posts: 8,436 ✭✭✭jmreire

Yes, it does seem ludicrous, but these are far more than tunnels. They are designed and built to survive in and fight from. Bear in mind that whatever Israel built was vastly increased and improved on since 2005 after they left. You only need stores or other chambers to be linked. And wide enough of course to move missiles etc. They are storing fuel, they have armories, explosives, food stores, kitchens, toilets, hospital facilities, generators + solar power, hoists to lift the missiles to their firing points. etc. They had all the time they needed, and of course money was not the issue. As I mentioned in an earlier post, there are a lot of surprises waiting in these tunnels, and it will take some time to check and clear them all, and some will never be reached, the ones that are 2-300 feet deep. Nealy 4 weeks in, and how much of the tunnels have been checked? They made a beeline for the hospital because they believed that Hamas had a main command and control center under neath it, but whatever Hamas did have there, was long gone by the time the IDF got to them. The tunnel's story still has a long way to go, I think.

According to Israeli sources from over a month ago. 28 helicopters and jets were used on the 7th and "had tremendous difficulty in distinguishing within the occupied outposts and settlements who was a terrorist and who was a soldier or civilian"

- Camille Paglia

It's genuinely amazing reading people on this thread twisting themselves into knots trying to defend Israel's atrocoties when the Israeli's themselves have no qualms at all talking about ethnic cleansing and genocide in Gaza.

I just wish the people defending Israel would have the courage to call it what it is, a white European colonisation of a country in the MIddle East. Israel is stronger,they are backed by the worlds only super power for strategic reasons and they will eventually eradicate all the Palestinians and we will be reading books like "Bury my Heart at Wounded Knee" written about the plight of the Palestinian people. Drop the rubbish about a returning people and all the other obfuscating to call it what it is. Oct 7th was the excuse to eradicate Gaza, they'll provoke the people of the West Bank into a response then eradicate them.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,749 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Here's the relevant part of your original post -

''I also think perhaps you're mixed up, since Israel left Gaza in the good hands of Hamas, Israel have constantly been attacked by them and have had to defend themselves, as they have done since 1948.''

Israel is not the only side being attacked. The IDF and the settlers have been attacking for many years hence the Palestine lands have been dwindling and sometimes the only means of defence is attack. So if its ok for one side then its ok for the other. BUT as we know, the biggest bully usually wins.

Ok heres my post again:

So far, the IDF have only searched an extremely small area of tunnels beneath the hospital and basically, only scratched the surface. It's also very possible that if Hamas had been using the tunnel directly under the hospital, then it would have been "cleaned of any real evidence before the attack on the 7th. Hamaz knew very well what would happen after the attack and planned for such events. The IDF knew very well some areas of the tunnels, the part that they had built themselves, but the newer additions? That I'm not so sure about, but time will tell.

From the safety, security and invisibility of working hundreds of klms of tunnels buried between 2 & 3 hundred feet below ground, sure you could. Hamaz has moved equipment, men and supplies, and at their leisure at that. No problem. Bring in the night shift. Thats not a joke by the way. How do you think that hundreds and hundreds klms of tunnels were built???

Whether its possible or not for Israel to be defeated, does not matter. What matter is what Israeli's believe, and if they think they are under threat, that's enough for them. Just look at how long Putin has held power, all based on the lie that he is saving Russians from the Ukrainian Nazi's?

PARA 1. They have only searched a fraction of the tunnels under the Hospital; Verifiably true. Unless you know otherwise?

PARA 2. The known facts about the tunnels bear this statement out.

PARA 3, True, in my opinion, but feel free to put forward your explanation for Israels position.

Your comment re standing beside vehicle with weapons explosives all round.:- Its obvious that the IDF bomb / VBIED squad gave that whole area, especially the vehicle a very good examination, before they declared it safe, and it was only after they gave the all clear, that anyone was allowed in. Thats the same time-consuming task that will have to be performed over every inch of all of these Tunnels. All of the weapons etc lying on the ground are all in safe mode.

From your comments, it's obvious that you have never been in that kind of situation, I guess, which would explain them.

A couple of minutes of Israeli footage from the day which was posted over a month ago. 28 helicopter and jets at it all morning inevitable a few Israeli's were caught up in it.

- Camille Paglia

• Advertisement

Its called defending, when someone else attacks you.

I'd say that its precisely because of the holocaust that they are like this...

Given recent ( and even not so recent) Israeli history, making it legal to kill people seems just like a mere formality...

When the dust settles on this and the eventual reckoning comes in Israel for the security lapses on Oct 7th, I wouldn't be surprised if half the civilian casulties on the day came from IDF fire. The IDF operate with practically zero oversight or accountablilty so it's not surprising they were so reckless and gungho.

That's the excuse used for the actions of child abusers, "it was done to me so that's why I do it"

Is this the sentence you are talking about?

"As I mentioned in an earlier post, there are a lot of surprises waiting in these tunnels, and it will take some time to check and clear them all, and some will never be reached, the ones that are 2-300 feet deep."

If this is not the sentence, then show where I mentioned 3'000 feet.

And you need to follow your own advice, what is meant by GLUE SHIFFING? Was that what you were doing when you wrote your post? Or do you mean SNIFFING?

It's completely understandable that they are extremely defensive and they do not like to show any weaknesses. Given that the Jewish people have always been the most persecuted people, it's completely understandable.

Imagine going through the horror of the holocaust, finally the world acknowledged their suffering, when they were afforded one single state, in order for them to feel safe, their neighbours immediately started attacking them!

It's not difficult to see how as a people they are so defensive. They clearly cannot rely on anyone else for their safety, so they do everything they believe they should in order to defend themselves.

Also, it's not actually an excuse used by child abusers. Many child abusers were themselves abused as children, they don't use it as an excuse.

Sure, and I'm making a statement about the Israeli justification, and mindset. And that is a long way from saying that I condone or approve of it. My view is quite the opposite in fact. Now what would you think about it? Israeli motivation / justification, I mean, which was the question I was trying to answer,?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,378 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Thanks jmreire

I suppose that from a purely neutral perspective, for someone like me, the idea of having tunnels for self-defence purposes is a logical one. I would think that if I was in charge of something in Gaza and had a belligerent neighbour who had the habit of routinely assassinating people in positions of authority, and blowing up infrastructure and assets, I'd be recommending and encouraging the construction of tunnels too.

I wouldn't see a huge difference between Israel saying "Gaza can't have tunnels" and Russia (pre-invasion) saying "Kyiv can't have an air defence system".

And yes, Hamas do fire rockets into Israel. But perhaps Israel should have taken a step back long ago and considered why that is the situation. Israel have always held most of the power in that relationship.

Advertisement