Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

House sale to council

Options
  • 17-11-2023 10:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi folks has anyone ever had a potential house sale to the council refused?

Post edited by Cookymonster on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,538 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Does that particular estate agent do the Council's work? There is one near me that I know gets all the Council jobs in this area.

What Council is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,514 ✭✭✭✭ted1

I sold a house in the summer to Dublin City

the tenant was on RAS and was kept on.

fairly straightforward, rang them and offered it to them. They sent an inspector to see if it meets requirements, then an independent valuer. They made an offer I felt was online with my expectations.

we agreed on a price and done a deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭Heighway61

Hiw did the price agreement work? I read you tell them the price you want in your application. Do they make an offer or negotiate any?

They used an independent valuer, and submitted an offer to me. I negotiated a little extra. But the original price was inline with the property price register.

but I was saving my having me estate agent fees and no emptey period while selling

I looked at three different council websites and they all do it differently. My council look for asking price with the application. I had it recently valued so will probably just ask for that. A couple of people have said to me I might get more through an EA so I'm not sure yet which way to go.

• Advertisement

That was my thinking too but an EA could get a better price even after commission. Might not be a lot in it though as I would place a good bit of value in a council sale if was quick and relatively simple. But there could be quite a bit in it, who knows.

There is the fact that it's not clear how a particular county council will handle the process. They all seem to be different. Reading other people's experiences some councils negotiate, some don't, some start with an offer, some start with the sellers asking price, some are not interested where the property is listed with an EA. If you list but still sell to the council the EA can still get their commission.

Plus EAs, well they're EAs.

So I'm not sure what to do.

Just call the councils housing department and ask

Advertisement