Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hamas strike on Israel - Threadbans in op - mod warning in OP updated 19/10/23

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭freebritney

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭sock.rocker*

They don't even think you're allowed to defend a hospital being attacked by an army. I doubt they think families in the West Bank are allowed to defend themselves either.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,127 ✭✭✭suvigirl

Which land are you referring to though? The lands taken after they were invaded by their neighbours in 1948/1967 ? Or the more recent illegal settlements

• Registered Users Posts: 8,520 ✭✭✭jmreire

Yes, it does seem ludicrous, but these are far more than tunnels. They are designed and built to survive in and fight from. Bear in mind that whatever Israel built was vastly increased and improved on since 2005 after they left. You only need stores or other chambers to be linked. And wide enough of course to move missiles etc. They are storing fuel, they have armories, explosives, food stores, kitchens, toilets, hospital facilities, generators + solar power, hoists to lift the missiles to their firing points. etc. They had all the time they needed, and of course money was not the issue. As I mentioned in an earlier post, there are a lot of surprises waiting in these tunnels, and it will take some time to check and clear them all, and some will never be reached, the ones that are 2-300 feet deep. Nealy 4 weeks in, and how much of the tunnels have been checked? They made a beeline for the hospital because they believed that Hamas had a main command and control center under neath it, but whatever Hamas did have there, was long gone by the time the IDF got to them. The tunnel's story still has a long way to go, I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,630 ✭✭✭brickster69

According to Israeli sources from over a month ago. 28 helicopters and jets were used on the 7th and "had tremendous difficulty in distinguishing within the occupied outposts and settlements who was a terrorist and who was a soldier or civilian"

“The earth is littered with the ruins of empires that believed they were eternal.”

- Camille Paglia

• Advertisement

It's genuinely amazing reading people on this thread twisting themselves into knots trying to defend Israel's atrocoties when the Israeli's themselves have no qualms at all talking about ethnic cleansing and genocide in Gaza.

I just wish the people defending Israel would have the courage to call it what it is, a white European colonisation of a country in the MIddle East. Israel is stronger,they are backed by the worlds only super power for strategic reasons and they will eventually eradicate all the Palestinians and we will be reading books like "Bury my Heart at Wounded Knee" written about the plight of the Palestinian people. Drop the rubbish about a returning people and all the other obfuscating to call it what it is. Oct 7th was the excuse to eradicate Gaza, they'll provoke the people of the West Bank into a response then eradicate them.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,922 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Here's the relevant part of your original post -

''I also think perhaps you're mixed up, since Israel left Gaza in the good hands of Hamas, Israel have constantly been attacked by them and have had to defend themselves, as they have done since 1948.''

Israel is not the only side being attacked. The IDF and the settlers have been attacking for many years hence the Palestine lands have been dwindling and sometimes the only means of defence is attack. So if its ok for one side then its ok for the other. BUT as we know, the biggest bully usually wins.

Ok heres my post again:

So far, the IDF have only searched an extremely small area of tunnels beneath the hospital and basically, only scratched the surface. It's also very possible that if Hamas had been using the tunnel directly under the hospital, then it would have been "cleaned of any real evidence before the attack on the 7th. Hamaz knew very well what would happen after the attack and planned for such events. The IDF knew very well some areas of the tunnels, the part that they had built themselves, but the newer additions? That I'm not so sure about, but time will tell.

From the safety, security and invisibility of working hundreds of klms of tunnels buried between 2 & 3 hundred feet below ground, sure you could. Hamaz has moved equipment, men and supplies, and at their leisure at that. No problem. Bring in the night shift. Thats not a joke by the way. How do you think that hundreds and hundreds klms of tunnels were built???

Whether its possible or not for Israel to be defeated, does not matter. What matter is what Israeli's believe, and if they think they are under threat, that's enough for them. Just look at how long Putin has held power, all based on the lie that he is saving Russians from the Ukrainian Nazi's?

PARA 1. They have only searched a fraction of the tunnels under the Hospital; Verifiably true. Unless you know otherwise?

PARA 2. The known facts about the tunnels bear this statement out.

PARA 3, True, in my opinion, but feel free to put forward your explanation for Israels position.

Your comment re standing beside vehicle with weapons explosives all round.:- Its obvious that the IDF bomb / VBIED squad gave that whole area, especially the vehicle a very good examination, before they declared it safe, and it was only after they gave the all clear, that anyone was allowed in. Thats the same time-consuming task that will have to be performed over every inch of all of these Tunnels. All of the weapons etc lying on the ground are all in safe mode.

From your comments, it's obvious that you have never been in that kind of situation, I guess, which would explain them.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,630 ✭✭✭brickster69

A couple of minutes of Israeli footage from the day which was posted over a month ago. 28 helicopter and jets at it all morning inevitable a few Israeli's were caught up in it.

“The earth is littered with the ruins of empires that believed they were eternal.”

- Camille Paglia

Its called defending, when someone else attacks you.

• Advertisement

I'd say that its precisely because of the holocaust that they are like this...

Given recent ( and even not so recent) Israeli history, making it legal to kill people seems just like a mere formality...

When the dust settles on this and the eventual reckoning comes in Israel for the security lapses on Oct 7th, I wouldn't be surprised if half the civilian casulties on the day came from IDF fire. The IDF operate with practically zero oversight or accountablilty so it's not surprising they were so reckless and gungho.

That's the excuse used for the actions of child abusers, "it was done to me so that's why I do it"

Is this the sentence you are talking about?

"As I mentioned in an earlier post, there are a lot of surprises waiting in these tunnels, and it will take some time to check and clear them all, and some will never be reached, the ones that are 2-300 feet deep."

If this is not the sentence, then show where I mentioned 3'000 feet.

And you need to follow your own advice, what is meant by GLUE SHIFFING? Was that what you were doing when you wrote your post? Or do you mean SNIFFING?

It's completely understandable that they are extremely defensive and they do not like to show any weaknesses. Given that the Jewish people have always been the most persecuted people, it's completely understandable.

Imagine going through the horror of the holocaust, finally the world acknowledged their suffering, when they were afforded one single state, in order for them to feel safe, their neighbours immediately started attacking them!

It's not difficult to see how as a people they are so defensive. They clearly cannot rely on anyone else for their safety, so they do everything they believe they should in order to defend themselves.

Also, it's not actually an excuse used by child abusers. Many child abusers were themselves abused as children, they don't use it as an excuse.

Sure, and I'm making a statement about the Israeli justification, and mindset. And that is a long way from saying that I condone or approve of it. My view is quite the opposite in fact. Now what would you think about it? Israeli motivation / justification, I mean, which was the question I was trying to answer,?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,614 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Thanks jmreire

I suppose that from a purely neutral perspective, for someone like me, the idea of having tunnels for self-defence purposes is a logical one. I would think that if I was in charge of something in Gaza and had a belligerent neighbour who had the habit of routinely assassinating people in positions of authority, and blowing up infrastructure and assets, I'd be recommending and encouraging the construction of tunnels too.

I wouldn't see a huge difference between Israel saying "Gaza can't have tunnels" and Russia (pre-invasion) saying "Kyiv can't have an air defence system".

And yes, Hamas do fire rockets into Israel. But perhaps Israel should have taken a step back long ago and considered why that is the situation. Israel have always held most of the power in that relationship.

Well, if Israel didn't have the Iron Dome protection when Hamas launched 20'000 missiles between 2005 up to 7the dec, I am sure that the figures would not be so skewed in favor of Palestine having the highest death toll. So even if the outcomes were different, the intent was still the same. This is just a comment on the stats and not to be taken as approval ( or not) for the actions of either side.

• Advertisement

But when Israel agree to every international agreement, but their neighbours do not, what can they take a step back from?

A peace process was started in the 90s which was opposed by Palestinian militant groups, who continued to attack Israel.

What would you suggest Israel do?

Depends on what you mean by "agree".

Israel said they agreed with the 1967 UN resolution but have repeatedly violated it, and continue to do it on an ongoing basis by their occupation of land allocated for Palestinians.

Yes, and when / if you think about it, the very limitations in terms of area and location, the only way for Hamas to go was down, and the deeper the better. And this is what they did. No matter what it is, everything has its breaking point, and of course, had Israel backed off earlier, we would not now have a scenario which given the worldwide security situation, could not have come at a worse time.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,759 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Why do you keep repeating the same debunked point. The IDF claimed to know the exact layout of the command and center under the hospital. They were giving briefing up to a week ago that Sinwar was hiding under the hospital. They claimed to have spies operating inside the hospital feeding them information about the current situation. If that is the case then how could Hamas dismantle a sophisticated command center and just disappear without the IDF being informed. It doesn't make sense

Now either their intelligence was faulty or they were lying . I have no doubt Hamas have tons of tunnels and a command center somewhere , but all the indications so far are suggest it's not under the hospital. If it was, given the intelligence the IDF claimed to have on the command center, they'd have found more than a few rusty rifles by now.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/national-security/2023/11/12/hamas-planning-terror-gaza-israel/?itid=mr_national%20security_2

The resolution that came after the war? Started again, by neighbours of Israel.

You seem to think that Israel can sort out the issues in the middle east, what do you suggest they do?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,427 ✭✭✭SafeSurfer

Sure the Armenians, Anatolian Greeks, Assyrians, Bengalis, Sikhs, Mayans, East Timorese and Tutsis are the same.

Multo autem ad rem magis pertinet quallis tibi vide aris quam allis

Your claim was that Israel "agree to every international agreement".

I merely pointed out that that claim is not really true.

Apparently a five day ceasefire is closed to being agreed according to the Washington Post.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,427 ✭✭✭SafeSurfer

If the facts indicate this, the facts will never come out.

Many of the lies about atrocities will be revealed because the facts of who was killed can’t be hidden as easily as who killed them.

The IDF officer in the video a few posts previously claiming 6 babies were burnt to death in a building when only one baby has been confirmed killed on October 7th, should have questions to answer. However when IDF members can shoot unarmed kids, journalists etc without any repercussions, what are a few lies?

Multo autem ad rem magis pertinet quallis tibi vide aris quam allis

• Advertisement

I see Joe has also warned Israel about settler violence in the West Bank due to pressure from within his own administration. He did mention denying them visas

Perhaps if he threatened to cut off aid as well it might get Bibi's attention. That will never happen though.

Post edited by nacho libre on

Advertisement