Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Public Pay Talks - see mod warning post 4293

Comments

The moment it goes over 2 years it's no longer the headline figure and the way it's sold is a bit of a scam

We don't ever combine inflation. Although if we get offered a 2 year deal the projected cumulative inflation hit should be advertised.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,255 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

It benefits nobody, will you give over with such nonsense.

All I'm seeing from recent pay 'deals' is permanent decreases which will also make my pension smaller... I have no social welfare pension (always matches or beats inflation) to fall back on.

Scrap the cap!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,963 ✭✭✭bren2001

Of course, the pay deal should be compared to cumulative inflation over two years if it's a two year deal. Why wouldn't it be?

I don't see how it's a scam at all.

By structuring and getting a higher overall percentage instead of a smaller at the start, your pension increases.

It literally benefits everyone to structure the deal. The government only have a certain figure to play with, you want to spread that out over the course of the agreement because that leads to a higher gross wage when you negotiate the next agreement. Long term you benefit.

6% on January first is worse then 7.5% spread over 12 months. Both cost the government the same amount of money (not suggesting 6 or 7.5% should be accepted, the figure is 10% and yes the figures are theoretical. It's the ratio that is important).

The maths speaks for itself. It's blindingly obvious but people want it all on day one. That doesn't make sense.

Because we are already hearing the inflation rate for a single moment in time.

Our employers use projected lower single moment rates when inflation is high and current single rates when it has been constantly high. They try to have their cake and eat it too.

What I want to know is why you constantly seem to throw out government negotiation propaganda as hard fact.

Kinda glad boards isn't the powerhouse it once was because you know they have consultants reading social media like this

• Advertisement

None of it is government propoganda. I've shown the maths and rationale behind it. If you want to argue my "fact" then where is the flaw in the maths? The government have a pot of money and the unions can negotiate the size of the pot and how it's distributed. Distributing it linearly is worse for your pocket.

Leaving aside that we should be compensated for the discrepancy between the last pay deal and inflation which should be given in day 1, inflation over the next 12 months doesn't hit your pocket on day one either. Spreading out the deal over 12 months to offset rising prices month on month also makes sense.

Are you (and others) honestly suggesting that if the pay deal is 10% we should get that on day one? That's not a reasonable position imo.

This thread is just an echo chamber. If you have a different perspective you're just shouted at that your wrong. Point out the flaw in the logic, there isn't one. You might not agree with it and have your own sound logic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭Peter Flynt

Why is it not reasonable to get 10% in one tranche? That's what happens in the private sector.

And you can state it all you want but a 5% increase over 2 years is not a 5% increase and overall it's a pay cut as it is not reaching the current level of inflation.

They're a scam because the whole increase is touted as the sum you get, but you never actually get it. The value of money decreases over time, the cumulative amount rarely if ever beats inflation and the time lag between price increases and wage increases is money out of my pocket.

Scrap the cap!

You're damn right the government has a pot of money, they are benefiting from tax increases in line with inflation NOW, I am suffering large increases in the price of everything NOW, promising me an increase spread over two or three years leaves me less well off, it's a rip-off plain and simple.

We should seek an immediate 15% increase to make up for losses due to inflation over the last 'deal', plus 10% over two years, it's very unlikely inflation will be less than that.

Scrap the cap!

You're missing the point in what I'm trying to say but I won't clog up the thread.

We all want the best pay deal and not to receive an effective pay cut relative to inflation.

Obviously if you offered me 10% on day one or 10% over 12 months, I'd take day one but the union and government negotiate the percentage and actual amount in tandem. By spreading out the actual amount over the course of the deal you end up with a higher gross wage then spreading it out linearly. That's one reason why unions wouldn't want it divvyd out on day one. People are missing that point.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,038 ✭✭✭Daith

Politicians won't want it all in one sum either considering they'll get the same percentage increase (and headlines).

But maybe anyone below HEO should get it one sum and everyone else is over a few years (gets popcorn).

Unions and government don't negotiate anything. Most of the unions are, of course, invited to the talks and show up......But most are left out of the negotiating room and only a few union leaders are invited in to be subsequently told, without negotiation, what the % increase (or indeed decrease) is going to be.

That's how it works.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭Ezeoul

Structuring is a scam. I get what you're tryng to say - that you think drip feeding increases leads to a cumulative of an increase on an increase at the end of the term, but it's not worth what you might think it is. Especially not if over two years. Lets take the figure you used - €100k

By "structuring" (i.e. drip feeding) a 5% increase over two years leads to a final increase of 5.09%.

A whole whopping €90 per annum more than a single pay increase on 1st January 2024, would deliver. €90 a year extra, that you have to wait a whole two years to even reach. Less than €2 per week, before deductions. And thats for someone on 100k. It would be even less for someone on €28k, €40k, €70k.

So now, who does "structuring" really benefit? It's just the Government's way of putting pay increases for their own employees on the long finger, again.

If the Government can order employers in other sectors to increase minimum wage by 12.4% in one step from 1st January 2024, and pay a minimum 5% increase in basic rate (excluding the other giveaways) to SW recipients also from that date, they can do better than drip feeding tiny amounts to their own employees over the next 2 years.

No, you've missed my point.

5% spread is 5%, i don't care about the .09.

Oh, now you don't care, but a few posts ago you were arguing that it was "of benefit" and worth spreading the increases across two years for.

You're talking out of both sides of your mouth, Bren.

It's 5% over two years when inflation in some sectors is beyond 5% at present.

The minimum wage is to increase by 12.4% on 1st January. So why does the government impose a full 12.4% increase on one day for those on minimum wage and yet simultaneously/conveniently refuse to pay increases in one tranche to the public sector which are up to three to four times less than that?

They don't want to pay up. It's as simple as that.

Also in the skilled jobs in the private sector (which the government is competing with for staff) there are annual reviews, no staggered pay increases with bonuses (in the banks etc) now back on the agenda whilst you're here supporting the government.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,038 ✭✭✭Daith

Because 12% for minimum wage is different to one big increase for public servants some of who will be earning far more than that? Maybe we should be splitting the increases so public sector people on a certain wage get one lump sum and others get it over a period of time?

How exactly am I doing that?

Spreading 1.8 billion over 12 months linearly leads to a lower percentage increase then doing it in increments. That's one reason why Unions negotiate for a structured deal. The government also want a structured deal for obvious reasons.

Where exactly am I contradicting myself?it's nothing to do with the cumulative effect. That's negligible.

It's not just about the percentage increase its about the pot of money that will cost. Unions will try to maximize that. Nobody in the thread gets that. It's blindingly obvious.

Nobody is arguing for 5% over two years. That's shite.

It's structured v all in one go which is independent of the percentage.

I've said several times, 10% over one year is what I'll vote in favour of. That's my figure.

I dunno are you intentionally ignoring that.

I'm gonna bow out. This thread is toxic. You literally cannot have a differing opinion without being called a government propogandist.

I'm a public sector worker and want the best deal just like most in here. I understand how structuring the deal in increments is better for Public Sector Workers. You guys don't see it that way. Fair enough. I think your all wrong and you think the same of me. I thought the point was to share opinions but evidently that isn't the case here. 6% on day one versus 7.5% split as 4% on day one and 3.5% on month 6 costs the government the same. I'd prefer a deal LIKE the second but with different percentages that meet inflation.

I hope we can all agree that the next deal should be higher then the projected inflation to cover what we lost in the last deal.

• Advertisement

I'm not engaging with you any further Bren.

I've had enough of your shilling for the employer.

See post above.

If you think I'm shilling for the employer you've complety missed my point. As a public sector employee, why would I argue on their behalf?

It's about the pot of money and not just the percentage. People here can't see that. Fair enough.

Best of luck tho.

It's very much arguing in bad faith. Saying that they want big increases yet spewing every government talking point.

It's all an attempt to drive down expectations and subsequently industrial disquiet.

Newstalk and Morning Ireland have already begun doing the same. Union reps badgered to state a percentage they'll take, explain why they think a raise is required (with falling inflation, as if we've not been hammered with price rises), and where cuts will have to happen.

Government reps never get badgered to explain why pay hasn't kept up with inflation and why the gap to private keeps growing. Never asked to explain why we have jobs going for months without being filled.

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

Would you take 6% on day one or 4% on day one and another 3.5% on month 6.

Bit (roughly) cost the same over the span of one year.

That's the point. Thats why structuring can be good. It allows for a bigger headline percentage which is better long term. Yet you and everyone here misses that.

And yes, you wouldn't accept either deal but change the percentages and keep the ratios the same.

I've always been of the view that union leaders should seriously limit their engagement with the likes of Newstalk, TodayFM, RTE etc....

I'd almost call for an absolute blanket ban of them.

It's a nonsense argument. The slight overall increase above the set rate is completely offset by any change in economic circumstances or the loss in money by not paying upfront.

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭Loyal Lady

Pascal talking about this on Radio 1 atm

That was a nice little chat there in comparison to Friday's interview, on Morning Ireland, with FÓRSA's media spokesperson.

Here you said:

By spreading out the actual amount over the course of the deal you end up with a higher gross wage then spreading it out linearly.

But as I showed you above, the amount is so miniscule, (0.09% on a salary of €100k or €90 per year gross) how can you actually justify the Government making employees wait up to two years to reach the full increase?

While the employees are still dealing with increasing inflation at the same time?

Inflation isn't happening in stages.

Also pensions (in particular post 2013) will be effected long term by drip fed increases, as the scheme is now based on average contributions made over the course of a whole career - which should not be forgotten either.

• Advertisement

No, you're misreading what I'm saying. (Or I'm badly explaining)

By spreading the total amount = the pot of money i.e. the cost to the government.

If the total public sector wages is 30 billion. Consider the two scenarios (the actual figure is lower but I had done the maths before googling it).

Scenario one: 6% on day one i.e. 30 billion x 0.06 costs an additional 1.8 billion over 1 year.

Scenario two: 4% on day one and 3.5% on day one of month 7. First 6 months cost 15x0.04 = 600 million. Second six months cost 15x0.075 = 1.125 billion. The total cost to the government is 1.725 billion (approx the same) but for 2025 you've a higher gross wage. You do receive a little less over the year but you can change the percentages to fix that, it's just an example.

That's what I've been trying to say. Structuring allows for a better deal for public sector workers in the longer term but costs the government the same amount in year 1. Obviously, if you're offered X% on day one or X% spread over 12 months, day one is better. If you're offered €X to top up employees wages over one year, it's different. The negotiation isn't just about the percentage, it's about the pot of money too.

Now, is any of that government propoganda or shilling for the employer? I don't think so. It's understanding the employer has a pot of money and using it to maximize wages beyond the duration of the deal. It's a different position and demanding it on day one. You may still disagree with the logic.

If you want to argue we should be given that 7.5% on day one, i think it's a slightly different discussion and not the one I'm trying to articulate.

Again, I'm not proposing 7.5%, it's just to demonstrate the maths. I want the figure to be higher.

Advertisement