Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Green" policies are destroying this country

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭Clo-Clo

Nuclear will never happen in Ireland as I already explained.

Wind and solar are part of a grid. We will never be only using wind and solar. Nobody I have seen has ever said as much.

To give you all a surprise, I have no problem with using nuclear but it would have to be at least 200km away from my house in a big circle. I would say everyone else in Ireland will say the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,012 ✭✭✭Shoog

So your preferred method has non of these costs on a regular basis, your joking aren't you.

Extra capacity is built into every grid in the world. This is normal

Hence hydrogen, BESS, pumped storage, interconnectors and so on

You are correct that it doesn't matter how many turbines you have during the 15% of the time where there is no or low wind, they'll all be delivering 0.

I've posted info here several times showing that to not be the case, you only need go back a few pages for it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 843 ✭✭✭m2_browning

Nuclear power operating costs are a fraction of the capex costs and they operate 2.5 to 3x longer than steel and concrete out at stormy salty sea

For offshore wind operating costs are as large as installation because these things are out at sea

there are other costs that will run into billions such as hydrogen, batteries,grids all needed because wind is unreliable

Again I will ask the same question, has anyone said we will end up with a grid based just on wind and solar?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,559 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

Interconnectors, pumped storage and batteries aren't generators. They are energy limited. What happens then?

I don't need to go back a few pages to find your curated numbers.

12th June this year - System Alert issued. The cause: no wind, little solar.

15th November this week - System Alert issued. The cause:little wind, no solar.

🤦‍♂️ Are those goalposts heavy lol

The price given by Eamonn Ryan was posted yesterday

• Advertisement

Asked and answered about 40 times between this and the Energy Infrastructure thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭deholleboom

I gave you a balance of options for Ireland. You then say nuclear will never happen as you indeed stated before. But stating it again is not an argument. By saying it will NEVER happen you are displaying a 100% certainty. I simply don't know. Things change, usually a little later than on continental Europe.

My country, Holland was also seen as a country that was 100% against nuclear power as i was myself because i was naive about the issue, like everyone else and highly biased. But views have shifted and Holland is more or less on board with new nuclear power plants as am i.

Give or take a few years and energy security is highly likely (see what i did there?😊) to steer people towards nuclear power. It is also clear that economy of scale might be detrimental. Who the hell knows? Nobody.

So, you saying it will never happen is worth about the same as people who said that gay marriage was never going to happen in Ireland.

Wake up, your certainty is based on 0. That is a zero.

Now, do us all a favour, come up with some decent arguments about why 'never' is reasonable or else shut the front door...

Alerts are nothing new, we used to have hundreds a year prior to renewables

If you wish to address them then do something about data centers.

Sounds like we get a wriggle on so and get the additional wind and solar built

I already provided by argument. If you read the posts. Nobody has countered how to resolve the issues I raised.

Ireland has released a document which was earlier on this thread and it lists how the government plans to handle energy requirements.

We have no idea what that price includes. It's likely just the actual power park infrastructure. Even at that, it seems extraordinarily low compared to the costs in the much shallower North Sea, which already had much of the logistics in train. There's grid infrastructure, insurances, surveillance, maintenance and repair services and all sorts to be added on top. It certainly doesn't cover the cost of the actual energy produced either.

To be honest, anyone taking that aspirationally "low" number should ha a think to themselves as to how it could possibly add up. Eirgrid recently procured 200MW at the existing North Wall substation for a bargain €508M for a 5 year contract. That's using cheap, proven technology at a brownfield site, reusing existing grid infrastructure. See https://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/emergency-power-plan-for-esb-north-wall-station-to-cost-e508m-over-five-years-1406362.html

Yet ER thinks we're going to deliver 37GW offshore technology to green (blue) field sites with no existing grid infrastructure for comparable money, but on 25 year contracts?

You'll note I made similar comments as to the vagueness of what the figure covers. As there is little additional information, it's impossible to comment either way.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,723 ✭✭✭creedp

Great that you have such a flexible lifestyle. As I said above Im all right Jack and to hell with everybody else

So they can sit at zero too?

Great idea.

Maybe we should go for a two tiered system.

Those who want their solar/wind powered dreams, no matter the cost and are happy to be occasionally disconnected due to intermittency and volatile pricing on Tariff A.

Those who would rather secure, dependable conventional generation at market cost, seasonal pricing volatility, with rare or no threat of disconnection on Tariff B.

I wonder which Tariff would be more popular?

You and your cohort are welcome to finance your dreams as long as you want, but you can pay for it. Leave the rest of us out of it. We'll happily chuck in a few quid for whatever fines they dream up along the way - as long as everyone else globally who hasn't signed up for Tariff A pays the same too.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,723 ✭✭✭creedp

You do realise that a Govt Dept sole function in life is to suppprt the Minister of the day. Everything else is secondary. Departments are like the wind, they blow in the current political direction

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭WishUWereHere

Speaking of batteries, has the motor industry sorted out yet how to dispose of EV batteries?

Ain’t that the plan? What’s the purpose of spending hundreds of billions building 37GW offshore and blanketing every roof and field in solar panels if not to replace burning gas and coal??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,607 ✭✭✭ps200306

Nuclear is hideously expensive. Here's a list of the most expensive nuclear power plants in the world:

Go through them one by one ... they are all multi-unit plants, each unit 1GW+ at a cost of $4 to $6 billion per GW. In other words you would get 18 to 28 GW for the price of Eamon Ryan's 37 GW of wind turbines. At 40% capacity factor his turbines would produce the equivalent of 15 GW continuous ... but intermittently and with a highly complicated hydrogen infrastructure to be able to supply baseload power.

Ryan makes the most expensive nuclear look cheap. Now consider:

• Ryan's €100 billion estimate is almost certainly way too low;
    • We have not considered any economies of scale associated with building several multi-unit nuclear plants;
    • Nuclear plants have design lives of up to 80 years compared to 20 for offshore wind turbines

We start to see that "hideously expensive" nuclear starts to look cheap compared to Ryan's crackpot plans. There are two other problems to address: refuelling/maintenance downtime and reactor inflexibility. The first problem only requires that there are enough units in the nuclear fleet so that maintenance can be staggered. Ireland's power needs for 2050 are high enough for this to be the case. We would need perhaps three or four 4-unit plants containing gigawatt class units. Typical refuelling downtime is 25-30 days every 18 months. Spread across, say, sixteen units it's the equivalent of a single extra unit of capacity.

The second problem of inflexibility is overhyped. Current reactor designs are capable of considerable damping and ramping. This would still allow a sensible amount of renewables to be accommodated (because those of us who are not zealots recognise that a mix of low-carbon options is sensible and desirable):

The above is based on a paper by Jenkins et al. available here.

Note, all of this is based on reactor designs that exist and are deployed at scale today and includes the AP-1000 and EPR designs. It doesn't depend on any new-tech. If we allow ourselves just a little imagination, both of those designs have scope for simplification and cost reduction. And that's before we consider any novelties such as molten salt reactors which can run at higher temperatures and are suitable for use with Moltex, a similar approach as Concentrated Solar Power in the use of molten salt thermal storage to smooth the diurnal power requirement cycle. This also opens possibilities of further decarbonisation through the provision of industrial process heat, as well as district space heating which would offset the need for all those madcap air-coupled heat pumps.

Ireland could happily manage with three nuclear plants located close to major population centres. Compare that to thousands of wind turbines spread across literally tens of thousands of square kilometres with the associated grid connections and servicing. I frankly don't believe the latter is achievable for any amount of money. We are too isolated to be able to depend on tens of GW of intermittent power.

Probably be dumped on and recycled by the same child slave labour that is used to get the materials for same batteries in Africa

and/or them fine lads in China who destroy thousands of square miles of their environment and rivers for rare earths needed for renewables will take care of it

Out of sight out of mind

Last weeks UK auction reached double the price most expensive nuclear plant in UK for floating offshore and still no takers

Keep up with the news

To be fair, you did.

However, it didn't stop you from trotting it out as a response to Charlie14 at 3:16pm. If you can't stand over the numbers, don't refer to it as some sort of evidence.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,105 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

LOL. Even your mathematics is not that poor that you do not know his figure is comically low and even at that is 3 times the price of what nuclear would cost based on Finland`s latest nuclear power plant.

Based on current U.K. prices it would not even come close to covering the offshore part of the 37GW plan if it was for just fixed platforms never mind the floating platforms and all the hydrogen add ons.

Still good to see he at least came up with something even if he did pull it out of thin air. I`m sure like myself you are eagerly looking forward to his breakdown as to how he came up with that figure ?

Far as I recall a problem that Germay has as to where their wind turbines are and where their generaton is required.

But then not something particularily strange for Germany a country that shut it`s remaining nuclear power plants to go digging up more coal and going back exploring for more fossil fuels while importing nuclear generated power from France and Sweden and are now knocking down a wind farm to get at a deposit of brown coal.

Greens are either not really concerned about emissions or they have for decaded painted themselves into a corner on nuclear that they now do not know how to get out off without looking foolish.

For electricity we need a dependable energy source to provide a baseload. After that they could play around with undependable intermitten renewables all the like.

The 37GW plan is financial lunacy which leave us with gas as a baseload for ever and a day, with our energy security depending on the continuing goodwill of Norway plus increased use of LNG.

• Advertisement

The department purpose is to serve the people of Ireland. The Minister is just a figure head and can be swapped in out in short period. 99.99% of a government department will never change over a long period so why would they drop all plans every couple of years to swap direction?

Advertisement