Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTÉ admits paying Tubridy €345,000 more than declared

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Mywifetoldme

" I'm playing senior hurling now".

I get a sense of " Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!"

Never mind all the millions I have been paid by the Irish public, I have moved on to greater things.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭RoTelly

Very little I imagine. There are 2 outcomes.

1. RTÉ ONE +1 and RTÉ2 +1 are removed from saorview, without replacement, meaning the cost for other channels on the platform goes up, meaning that RTÉ bares some of the brunt of that increase.
    2. RTÉ ONE +1 and RTÉ2 +1 are removed from saorview, with replacement, RTÉ sees a benifit as costs for transmissions remain the same and they also get some one else to pay for that portion of the muxes ... however its is likely that both channels on Saorview will be replace by the 2 remain Sky FTA channels Sky Arts and Sky Mix... or potentially Virgin Media ONE +1 and Virgin Media More.
    3. In both cases its likely that RTÉ also loss an audience and loss some advertising revenue, and when you consider that both Sky News and Challenge have seen increases in audience since their arrival on Saorview that should continue with both Sky Arts and Sky Mix.

Seems to be more of a win for pay TV than for RTÉ. IMO.

______

Just one more thing .... when did they return that car

Yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 16,474 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Well once at least

Probably drank a couple of moutfuls of head, poured the rest down the sink after the photo and ordered a glass of Ribena to wash away the stinky old man flavour...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭LambshankRedemption

And what exactly does it cost to broadcast effectively a recording of what was aired one hour earlier?

I would love to see a breakdown of figures.

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭techman1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭TinyMuffin

so he was hurling junior in Ireland and getting payed massive wages. Then was found out taking the clubs money from the biscuit tin.

In his RTE incarnation he would be beholden to Alcohol Awareness Ireland and political correctness and could not be seen to be promoting drink and especially Guinness. However in London its a 180 degree turn and he is hamming up all the stereotypical irish stuff like posing with a Guinness, next he will be saying "begorrah" and "top of the morning"

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,029 Mod ✭✭✭✭HildaOgdenx

Seems so.

Now he is playing senior hurling...in the UK...presumably for a lot less money.

And there's more than one reference to the unfairness of what went on with RTE and how he didn't see things coming. Good grief!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,959 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

I spotted him in Finnegans in Dalkey last Summer, 2022. We were sitting outside in the sun having lunch and he breezed up in a low slung car of some sort (I wouldn't give him the satisfaction of staring). He went in to the pub and we left the outside table shortly after.

This is just to let you know that a pleb like me can have food and drink in the same place as (deep breath) Tubs Almighty. I am starstruck honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,636 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

"I'm playing senior hurling now".

Virgin radio has 1% of the UK's marketshare with a weekly listenership of 1.4m.

The UK has a population of 68m,

RTE radio 1 has pretty much the same weekly listenership out of a population of 5m so more like a demotion to junior hurling in Louth than senior hurling.

If he doesn't increase listenership and ad revenue for the Murdochs they won't be shy to firing him.

• Advertisement

Whats with the hurling reference?

Tubridy said "I'm playing senior hurling now" in an interview referencing his new job in the UK with Virgin Radio.

RTE and Ireland was small potatoes compared to working in the UK.

Basically sh1tting allover the only job he has ever had that paid him the guts of €10 to €12m over the last 20 years.

Jesus. Just when you think he can't get worse, he does.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,610 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Well we all know how much of an expert on sports our Ryan was, so I can understand him using a sports analogy.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,029 Mod ✭✭✭✭HildaOgdenx

And especially a reference to playing hurling... in the UK. 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭Hyperbollix

And like any other 50 year old Junior B mullocker who somehow got a promotion to senior, he's going to be found out in no time!

I don't know if his new show will be feature on air interviews but I really hope it does. Will have my popcorn at the ready for Tubs and Noel Gallagher or Tubs and Steve Coogan. A shame Russell Brand is persona non grata these days. Would pay hard cash to see Tubs crash and burn with that one!

Which is just a live live simulcast of his UK show so he can't specifically target the Irish listener as his show has to be targeted at the UK listenership and he will be walking a tightrope if he tries to target both something I don't think he has the skill levels to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,627 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

”the pub version” of Tubridy sounds like hell on earth to be quite honest

so more like a demotion to junior hurling in Louth than senior hurling.

I love this 😁.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭jmcc

That's Fianna Failness. They can never foresee the consequences of their actions. Tubridy became the face of the payments scandal. Now, the taxpayers have to bail out that dysfunctional company. Guess he's going to pocket the 150K rather than repay it.

Regards...jmcc

I wonder has he really thought this through, obviously he will be targetting the UK audience but by also being on Q102 is that going to sound a bit cringe, he will have to talk about what he is up to in London but without the decades of experience of UK life and what makes them tick. His whole persona on RTE was Mr establishment and goody 2 shoes, I just can't see that translating over to the UK. I don't envy him now he has a very big challenge ahead and alot at stake

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭jmcc

The London book publishing scene is much larger than that of Dublin and there will be a lot more books for him to read. Think that the timeslot he's been given is for a three hour programme. Culturally, he is just a little Dubliner. He's not a major talent like Wogan or Norton.

Regards...jmcc

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

Don't like to hear him mention himself in the same breath as Terry Wogan. Wogan had a talent and s natural way on the radio.

This man is delusional.

He's not a major talent like Wogan or Norton.

Possibly understatement of the year. 😁 He is not fit to tie their shoes, imo.

Re the article and the unfairness of it all in bizarro Tubridy world - if he had got his cushy job back at RTE, he wouldn't have been able to resist going on about how he was so hard done by. I know I said that at the time on here. And there he goes in that article, more than once. Unreal, the level of delusion.

Thing is though. Someone who did have the talent of Wogan, wouldn't mention it either. The really great presenters did not think they were the bees knees at all - thats part of their appeal. The likes of Parkinson, or even Gaybo had a style that allowed them to talk to everyone one from the common man up to rock stars and top politicians. None of the greats would ever compare themself to one of the greats. Its whats part of what made them great.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭RoTelly

There is the Dee Forbes Thread

I am going to try to properly read through the RTÉ New Direction strategy and pick it apart, but busy with study :/

______

Just one more thing .... when did they return that car

Yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 5,827 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

Quote: Beechwoodspark

The "pub version" of Tubridy sounds like hell on earth to be quite honest.

This.

But the interview with Chris Evans on that YouTube clip, where Tubs shifted uncontrollably in his seat, tells me he knows this is last chance saloon. What's he gonna do from now on, when nobody else wants to hear how he was "quite friendly with Sinead O'Connor" or how Bono gave him a tricycle runs out if steam.

There's a word for €150k Tubridy which I think is apt (but perhaps his loyal housewife Instagram gang would not agree)

Insufferable.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,528 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

Maybe he meant to say "I'm playing seniors hurling now".

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,528 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

The reference come from the early 00's when Seamus Brennan (FF. TD) said to a Green Party member of the new coalition - "You're playing senior hurling now".

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement