Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So "X" - nothing to see here. Elon's in control - Part XXX **Threadbans in OP**

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,465 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I feel some degree of sympathy for Linda Yaccarino, albeit speaking as someone without any knowledge of her background. She has a thankless task cos it's blatantly clear she's a figurehead to give Musk plausible deniability but he has made enough pronouncements to show he's driving the bus, Yaccarino the front of shop. And when someone needs to take the blame, she'll be given the boot (albeit with a golden parachute)

Her statement is craven, empty bullshít but she also knows the obvious responses to this business crisis aren't available to her - or the department heads either.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,856 ✭✭✭hoodie6029

Edit:Gone

One Blue Sky invite code for whoever wants it. PM. First come, first served.

(bold for attention)

Post edited by hoodie6029 on

The road to Hell is paved with good intentions.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,360 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

I didn't say the vast majority of Irish people agree with anti semitism.

X is still thriving with Irish people from what I can see. Popular as ever with the cohort with like news and current affairs.

That's not how America sees it.

And the American establishment is turning away from Musk.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,341 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Nah, there is lots of criticism of specific actions of the Israeli state in Ireland at present, but very little anti semitism. And there should be no anti semitism, of course.

But criticism of Israel =/ Anti semitism, and you know this too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,661 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Great to see they don't plan on backing down.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,601 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

I'm quoting myself here because I just copped this..

He will just suspend accounts that advocate genocide and not ban them from free speech platform so he leaves it open to reinstate those accounts when the outrage moves onto something else on his free speech platform.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,967 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

It's been happening for months now, with their ads displaying along side racist, misogynist tweets and worse. How did IBM only discover their zero tolerance policy now?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,689 ✭✭✭RoyalCelt

I'm sure musk's buddies in Iran, Russia, the Arab world and China will be more then happy to fund his Twitter operations. It's basically their biggest misinformation platform as it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,408 ✭✭✭Homelander

I used to think Elon Musk was an interesting guy doing great things.

Then he started posting on Twitter and it became clear he's an absolute, cringe-inducing moron.

Reminds me of Trump. Obviously not lacking smarts, but sorely lacking smarts in the most basic social awareness.

I just cannot understand how people like that are so blatantly intelligent in some ways, and so despondably braindead in others.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,102 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

Its been clear what kind of character he is since the pedo (sic) smear on the diver in the Thai cave rescue.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,277 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

I avoid the subject like the plague

Which is the precise result that the screamers want.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,465 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Probably but I don't have the energy to get sucked into the argument that increasingly finds itself bereft of middleground - mostly due to circumstances that occur.

Who could say: maybe it simply came down to an excess of trust that Twitter's algorithm was intact enough the adverts were applied against appropriate content. It took an outside agency to actually dig, and thus we're seeing the retrospective responses by corporations.

Trust in Twitter is cratering and the glib joke it'll devolve into 8chan never more seemingly prescient. If journalists abandon it, that could be it.

• Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭I.R.Y.E.D

They were the last company to pull out from dealing with trump so par for the course with them.

Another company that used to be a household name that nearly went down the spout and is struggling to find a niche.

Post edited by I.R.Y.E.D on

• Registered Users Posts: 873 ✭✭✭3d4life

'cause Ads ( and a lot of other stuff ) are blocked before they enter the IBM world

Why dont you try to do the same ?

I really don't think that's a fair commentary on Ireland. There's active criticism of a particularly right wing Israeli government's policies and actions. That does not equate to anti-semitism, nor is it anything to do with the very offensive comments aimed at the Jewish community being referenced, which were a load of bizarre, racist, conspiracy theory manure - it was both anti-semitic and simultaneously more broadly racist.

Twitter always had problems with utterly obnoxious posts - every social media platform does to varying degrees, but it also combated them and worked towards making itself a reasonable, and somewhat more respectable social media platform.

None of that's happening anymore and it's just rapidly turning into some kind of Parlour / 4Chan type mess.

Twitter is gone. It's quite literally gone. You're looking at a new platform called X which has a completely different set of policies and a rather more toxic vibe.

Twitter was a cess pit. Nothing has changed.

And if it's so bad, why is it so popular in Ireland? Why don't people leave it.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

On what basis are you assuming it’s particularly popular in Ireland? The core of Irish Twitter has been hollowed out dramatically since 2022. The number of accounts vs number of active users are also not the same things.

The biggest platforms by far in Ireland at present are Instagram and TikTok

Well this was always the case. Twitter is a niche social media platform for opinionated people interested in news and current affairs.

Among this cohort, it is extremely popular. Just look at the engagement of high profile Irish journalists on twitter/X. No sign yet of a decline in usage from what I can see.

Virgin Media crowd tweet absolutely anything on it.

I’m not really understanding what you mean by: “why is it so popular in Ireland? Why don't people leave it.”

It isn’t and they do.

A lot of Twitter users that used to be interesting accounts just stopped posting or reduced how much they post. You can see that fairly clearly.

In terms of ad spend it’s Insta and TikTok.

• Advertisement

I'm just repeating myself.

Twitter was always one of the least popular social media platforms but among those who like current affairs and news makers and movers, it is extremely popular.

Musk was attempting to broaden the appeal of X to get some of the Instagram/Tic tok market.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Is it really?

If you took the journalists and politicians off it what would be left really?

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

It always was a niche platform. A few tweets in Ireland and it's suddenly "trending".

I thought it was completely mental to buy Twitter for such a large amount of money.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,579 ✭✭✭✭Sand

It only makes sense if your intent is to use it to dominate the political discourse. People discuss politics - including the regulation of wealth - in the public square. If you privatise the public square then you can ban discussion harmful to your own interests and promote those which advance them. Of course, this only occurred to the owners of Twitter after Musk bought it.

People are willing to accept financial losses in the short term if it means they set the boundaries of public speech in the long term. Now, it is a different question is Musk is smart enough to realise that - he seems to be a dumb libertarian who think's there is a free marketplace of ideas where everyone freely debates concepts and the best ones rise to the surface by natural debate.

Well, it was never a public square, it was private and managed venue, with public access.

If you take it to a pub analogy. He's the wealthy landlord who bought the pub (due to having been forced to by losing a bet effectively) but understood nothing about the way pubs work. He paid way over the odds thinking he could drive the conversation and create a new space, and be belle of the ball and talk of the town.

So he changed the decor - adding a lot of weird looking dark paint and bare metal finishes which he thought were cool but nobody else did, changed the name over the door, fired the bouncers, fired the popular bar staff, the entire ambience changed, he started alienating most of the customers, shouted obnoxious things out the door, which resulted in bands no longer wanting to play gigs there... Now he's just got a bunch of weirdos sitting around the bar who make a lot of noise, agree with him a lot, but spend no money- no interesting conversation, no interesting bands, a weird brand over the door that nobody recognises and the money in the till is drying up ... So, in response he's implemented a cover charge, and is wondering why nobody's paying.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,454 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

I'm not sure how much he could ever save in the long term to offset the enormous losses he's taken buying Twitter, but it looks like the game he was playing never involved being forced into going through with the purchase. Then there are also other platforms pushing to the surface because X is so unfit for purpose. I think you're right about him being a little too much of a dumb/naive libertarian type to ever make it work.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,579 ✭✭✭✭Sand

The reality is that a lot of the old hands thought they were the décor, the ambience and the atmosphere in their sterile bubble. New management came in, wanted a more upmarket style and the grognards are still grumbling about being turfed out.

I've extremely low belief in Musk but if he so irritates and enrages the right people, then his purchase of Twitter is at least a win. I view it as cancer versus the black death - whoever wins...well, humanity gets a pause.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭eightieschewbaccy

It's a more "upmarket style" to give hate the racists etc free reign? To bring back the likes of Tommy Robinson... To actively lower the technical quality of the service. 😂

Ah so we're back to the old tedium where because Musk "irritates and enrages the right people", then that's enough. And gonna take a wild leap of speculation as to who those people are. I've heard Musk's term at Twitter described as many things, but never "upmarket"; clearly it's a lowering of standards to the extent the money-men have said "no thank you".

• Advertisement

Been on twitter for years. What you're describing is twitter.

I don't follow American based tweets or people who generally write up divisive stuff. It makes the site much more enjoyable.

Advertisement