Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Public Pay Talks - see mod warning post 4293

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Greyian

Except that you didn't show that, because you didn't understand what bren was saying.

Imagine you're currently on 50000, and the government can afford to pay you 3000 more for the year (so total pay for the year to work out to 53000)

Scenario 1: You could get a 3000 euro raise on January 1st, which would see your salary raised to 53000, which it would be on December 31st. It would also mean for the next pay review, 53000 would be the basis for determining future increases.

Scenario 2: You could get a 2000 euro increase on January 1st and a 2000 euro increase on July 1st. This would mean your annual salary for the first 6 months would be 52000 (so you'd get paid 26000 between January and June) and your annual salary for the 2nd 6 months would be 54000 (so you'd get paid 27000 for between July and December). This means you'd get paid a total of 53000, but your annual salary would be 54000, which would serve as the basis for determining future increases.

If there is a certain amount of money available for a period of time, staggering the increases is the best financial decision for the recipient, as it means the salary level at the end is higher and that higher level serves as the start point for future negotiations.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭Ezeoul

TL:DR.

Give it up Bren. The maths isn't as complicated as you're trying to make it.

The only party that benefits from drip feedinig increases, is the Government.

Why you keep advocating for them, I don't know.

Its like you think the Government can't afford it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,963 ✭✭✭bren2001

I've tried to explain it. If you don't wanna read it, fair enough. The maths isn't complicated at all, it's junior cert stuff.

It is long but it's miscommunicated otherwise. Greyian says the same thing more succinctly.

Thank you, somebody gets what I'm trying to say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭Peter Flynt

Your Mathematics is wrong!.

Let me give an example. Let's take a public sector worker on, say, €40,000 per year. They're paid fortnightly. A full tranche pay increase, say 5%, paid entirely on Day 1 of a new TWO YEAR public sector agreement will see them earn €84,000 over the course of the two year agreement.

Now if the 5% is split - for example 2% paid 30 weeks into the agreement and another 3% increase after 60 weeks into the two year agreement then the amount they will earn is €81890.64. . . . Some €2190.36 LESS than what they would have received if the full 5% had been paid on day one.

And, in the end, the public sector worker ends up receiving a 2.36% increase rather than a 5% increase.

This is why the government splits up the increases and it's a total sham/con.

What you showed is that a 5% increase split up happens to slightly exceed 5% making the increase appear slightly greater.

What you never took into account was the lost earnings from the public sector worker as a result of not being paid the full 5% on day 1 and having to wait for increases over many years.

• Advertisement

If you truly believe there is only a "certain amount of money" available, for a certain time, then you don't know much about government finances.

What they have made is "allocation".

If you think there is not more money available, then more fool you.

And spreading it out, again, only benefits the employer, not the employee.

This is not how it works and is totally obscure Mathematics. You're claiming an incrase of €3000 overall in scenario 1 and then claiming its a €4000 increase in scenario 2 with it being 2 x €2000 increases over two six monthly periods. It's all nonsense I'm afraid as this is not what happens in the public sector and also not based on percentages.

It's not obscure mathematics and it's not nonsense. It appears you don't have experience with negotiating pay. It seems you don't understand it, but that doesn't make it wrong.

I said in scenario 1 that the end result to your annual salary at the end of the period is 3000 higher, while in scenario 2 the end result to your annual salary at the end of the period is 4000 higher.

I also said for the period in question (1 year in my example), the total pay received is identical in both scenarios (53000), but that scenario 2 sets you up better for future periods.

As for "that's not how it works", you'll find that it is. In both the private and public sectors, the "employer" has a budget figure (aka an actual number of euro) to work with. By staggering or not staggering the schedule of increases, you pay out the same amount but change the starting point for future deals.

You use a scenario of a one-off 5% increases vs two separate 2.5% increases, but those aren't the options that would be on the table. The options would be more like 3.75% up front or 2 separate 2.5% increases or 1 * 2.5% + 1 * 1.5% + 1 * 1%. A single upfront increase won't match the total of staggered increases.

Ultimately, would you rather receive 53000 this year and then negotiate from a starting base of 53000 next year, or would you rather receive 53000 this year and then negotiate from a starting base of 54000 next year?

Except that you didn't. You showed that 2+2 = 4, when the discussion was about 3+3.

• Advertisement

Sorry lad....not reading through this as you don't have a clue what you're posting. I gave you the Mathematics. Feel free to tell me where I'm wrong.

I have over 30 years of public sector pay and public sector pay deals.

And you actually quoted the percentages I used incorrectly, so obviously you can't read tables either.

But, thanks for your input.

The problem is you are using the wrong variables. Your calculations are not of use as a result.

You're saying 1 increase of 5% vs 2 increments of 3% and 2%.

That's not how these negotiations work.

If you're offered 3% and 2%, you won't get an offer of 5% in one go. You'll get an offer of 4% in one go.

So let's saying 50000 * 4% at Week 1 - That's 52000 over the year, and it gives you a starting base of 52000 next time around.

If we go for 50000 * 3% at Week 1 and then another 2% at Week 27, that would be 51500/year for the first 26 weeks (25750) and then 52530/year for the second 26 weeks (26262.50). So your pay received would be 52012.50 (so basically identical), but your starting point for the next deal would be ~1% higher.

I didn't go re-read your percentages because the point is that the basis of your calculations (that the sum of the staggered increase percentages would equal the single increase percentage offered) is faulty.

Also, your scenario was a flawed response to Bren's original point, so THAT is the scenario you should be addressing, not a different scenario you've made up.

There is a budget allocation for it. Yes. There isnt unlimited money. Its a negotiation.

If that's your view, fair enough. Thats not how I think the negotiations work but i wont imply youre a fool. Its just a different point of view.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,877 ✭✭✭Pogue eile

• Registered Users Posts: 1,755 ✭✭✭lbunnae

Hahahah , there is definitely a pair of them in it.

Feel free to tell me where I'm wrong rather than just resorting to abuse.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭combat14

lads the govt have literally given away 14 billion to social welfare recipients the majority of which wont be voting for FG/FF no matter what they do ...

there better be something left in the pot for the actual workers

this business of 4 - 5 % so called pay rise over 2 years before massive Paye, Prsi, usc, pension levy deductions and rampant inflation would be simply laughable if it wasnt funny

the union reps better get their fingers out or the workers will vote no

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,755 ✭✭✭lbunnae

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭MsQuinn

Oh God this is so boring.......................

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭readoutloud

People are talking at cross purposes.

One set of folks are looking at what's best for one year's salary. Another are looking at longer-term. There's also a subset making a fair but minor point on compound interest.

Basically, if the government truly only has €1.8b for public sector wage increases this year, then it would be a better long-term strategy to seek structured / stepped increases over the year. This would allow a higher wage increase by the end of the year while keeping to the €1.8b budget.

So this year's pay would be lower, but every subsequent year would be higher, all else remaining equal.

(a) They can afford more than €1.8 billion.

(b) A higher increase at of the end of the deal, will not help when trying to pay bills during the earlier part of the year.

This is all nonsense, that only benefits the employer.

Do you really believe allowing them to put a spin on it that "oh, but when you spread it out over the year, you get more" (even though the "more" is so miniscule it's negligible) and that it will put the employee on a better footing when it comes to negotiating the next deal?

Will it fcuk. If anything, it will weaken their position.

Its pure spin.

Post edited by Ezeoul on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,255 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

The gross wage may be higher but in purchasing power it's less. I couldn't give a fiddlers what my gross wage is, I'm looking at my energy and grocery bills and mortgage payments compared to what I'm taking in, and it's not looking good.

Scrap the cap!

With the example i give of 6% on day one or (3+4.5%) split over one year, you get the same money in your pocket over one year and a higher gross wage.

I'd prefer that and a higher pension. Your priorities are money today. Mine isn't.

Can we not have different opinions on how to allocate the money without it turning into a **** show? Or without people saying it's peddling government propoganda?

It's just how I believe the structure of the deal would benefit me and others the most. It's just a different opinion.

• Advertisement

You might have the luxury of not caring, but you are ignoring the time value of money and the always substantial lag between price increases and wage increases (that's when they even attempt to match inflation, which is rarely).

Scrap the cap!

Advertisement