Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why did Ireland side with the EU and vote to renew Glyphosate's licence for another 10 years

• 19-11-2023 10:32pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,936 ✭✭✭

Glyphosate, is a dangerous herbicide which might be more familiar to you as Roundup. It has been proven to cause the cancer Non Hodgkins Lymphoma, a chronic blood cancer. Which means it can't be cured just managed. The reason why I know a lot about this is because I have Non Hodgkins Lymphoma and I am shocked that the Irish Government voted to go along with the EU and allow its licence to be renewed for another 10 years.

More info on Roundup and the latest court case about it can be found below

Here is a list of the countries that have already banned Roundup.

• Malawi
    • Thailand
    • Vietnam (Vietnam’s move to ban glyphosate contaminated imports drew criticism from U.S. Secretary of Agriculture Sonny Perdue.) 
    • Sri Lanka
    • Oman
    • Kuwait
    • United Arab Emirates
    • Bahrain
    • Qatar
    • Saudi Arabia
    • St. Vincent and the Grenadines
    • Bermuda
    • Austria
    • Belgium
    • Czech Republic
    • Denmark
    • France
    • Italy
    • The Netherlands

Germany is banning Roundup next year, so why haven't we banned it and why did the Irish Government vote with the EU to renew its licence?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,106 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Cost benefit analysis

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,936 ✭✭✭skimpydoo

You asked the question, I gave you the answer.

Many things that you come into contact with in your day to day life can "cause cancer". Glyophospate is a reliable and ubiquitous herbicide and is very good at doing what it does.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,457 ✭✭✭SharkMX

We have all been eating food sprayed with this stuff since we were born. What do you think makes the wheat that lovely golden color just before harvest?

It is also very good at causing cancer which is why it should not be used.

• Advertisement

No it isn't "very good at causing cancer". That's being melodramatic. Give me some figures to back that up vs. say tobacco use or even sugar.

While it could be used for that, wheat would go that colour anyway when it is ready for harvest. Under current regulations it can't be used solely for that purpose in most crops.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Finty Lemon

I'd drink a pint of Glyphos, better than Rockshore

Will this do?

Bayer agrees to pay more than $10 billion to settle Roundup lawsuits

In addition to individual lawsuits, thousands of individual cases have been consolidated. In June of 2020, Bayer agreed to pay more than $10 billion to settle current and future claims. Since the settlement was proposed, Bayer has been working in blocks to settle outstanding cases related to Roundup.

As of the summer of 2022, Bayer has paid out about $11 billion to more than 100,000 people. It’s estimated that this represents about 80 percent of the total number of people who qualify for the settlement, and Bayer has reportedly set aside more funds to continue negotiating settlement amounts.

No. That isn't what I asked for. That relates to legal settlements and is likely off the back of the landmark case from about 6 or 8 years ago where a gardener got some form of illness (could have been cancer) and claimed it was due to his occasional use of roundup. It was a US case and the court issued punitive damages. So it becomes a financial damage limitation exercise after that.

It is probably likely that you know of one case personally where a person was involved in a traffic incident, is adamant that it wasn't their fault in any way, shape or form, but their insurance settled with a 5 or 6 figure sum. Possibly without telling the person. That's not a scientific proof of causation. The tests for which are more robust here than over in the US. There is a thing called the "Fairchild exception" in English law, but it is not clear whether it would apply here. That case related to mesothelioma and exposure to asbestos.

What I asked of you is the scientific numbers for the danger of exposure to glyophosphate and its impact on cancer rates and a comparision with the rates of say smoking or drinking or even certain toxins that might be in your tap water.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,600 ✭✭✭prunudo

Its a great for weed control in an amenity setting. Spraying it on food we eat isn't so wise imo but then so many other chemicals end up in the food we eat, who's to say its solely down to Glyphosate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,171 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

don’t tell me, it’s harmless according to a ……. ‘recent study’

There’s always a ‘recent study’ is there not?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,079 ✭✭✭Cordell

Actually it's harmless until a study can prove that it isn't, and there is no study that proves that. The crusade against this and GMO and other stuff people don't really understand is not much different than people claiming 5G causes cancer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,171 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

I’m pleased and reassured that countries such as France, Italy and the Netherlands which produces a lot of the food we eat has banned this chemical, I’m sure they know what they’re doing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

The EU has been on a mission to improve safety and environment standards since it was created. All of this is good, but over time individual measures have less impact on safety. The low hanging fruit have nearly all been picked so to speak.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,188 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Glyphosate has not been "proven" to cause anything. That is why EFSA recommended its re-approval.

There are suspicions and fears. I'm not even saying they're definitely wrong but no stufy has proven the connection.

Advertisement