Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTÉ admits paying Tubridy €345,000 more than declared

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,610 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I disagree.

My interpretation is that he was saying rte and ireland was small fry stuff, he's now going to be a top presenter on a London radio station and he's finally made it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭LambshankRedemption

Your interpretation is closer to my own to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭jmcc

• Registered Users Posts: 17,510 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

That was an all encompassing comment, Q102 and the weekend stuff on multiple stations

• Registered Users Posts: 10,750 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Considering how some on here were saying he’d never get a job in the UK and that jobs like that were only for “big name” types it would, indeed, seem that he was correct to imply that he’s now in the “big leagues”.

Post edited by EmmetSpiceland on

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Advertisement

Might be a good angle for a story for an Irish newspaper. Good journos are always looking for a local angle when it comes to this type of story.

Regards...jmcc

• He will want to watch making gaffs such as “Ukrainians look like us (therefore it seems close to home)” and using too many references to his Irish persona… eg “I’m known as the Toyman in Ireland”’ or he’ll sell himself to audience there as the real life Alan Partridge.

That "getting mugged by God in a hoodie" thing might have been somewhat problematic.London is a big city and he's no longer in the village of Montrosia.

Regards...jmcc

Post edited by Boards.ie: Paul on

• Registered Users Posts: 17,510 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

I'll be waiting for the first anti British slip up, I mean he's not known for it

Perhaps his fans here can answer this one: will Tubridy choose the playlist for his slot on Virgin Radio or will it be chosen for him?

Regards...jmcc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭techman1

Can’t help but think this is an effort to catch the Irish market and make a few more Bob - primarily though I wonder how a currently unknown Irish presenter will go down in the UK ?

He’s not Norton; nor of course is he Wogan; he could majorly mess this up with just the wrong tone or spouting rubbish about some news story -it’s a curiosity about a guy who’s known for literally nothing bar trying to pretend he’s Mr. Christmas for one night a year 

thats what i was thinking, if he starts discussing controversial topics like brexit or immigration he could land himself in alot of hot water. He used to do that on his RTE show but in the UK his thinking would not be mainstream because he is irish establishment. Surely Virgin should have seen that he doesn't fit in at all

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,029 Mod ✭✭✭✭HildaOgdenx

That was my impression too. Senior hurling - ie superior to what he was doing before.

Laughable really - if the whole RTE thing wasn't such a mess.

And while the mess certainly cannot all be laid at his door, he played a part in the whole debacle.

With or without a hurl 🥴.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭RoTelly

Bob Geldof gave Zig and Zag their big break, he put them in his proposal to Channel 4 for a new Breakfast show.

______

Just one more thing .... when did they return that car

Yesterday

If the last few months have shown anything it's that he clearly has no self awareness whatsoever. This was obvious with him releasing a statement to the public while he is in contract negotiations with RTE. That pi$$ed off KB who called a halt to contract negotiations and Ryan was out of RTE.

Footbalers are not considered the sharpest tools in the box, but even they know not to tweet or blog or say anything publicly while one of their contracts are in the process of being negotiated. High brow, supposedly well read Ryan does not have the same gumption as a centre back for Brighton and Hove Albion FC.

It was like he was institutionalised by RTE and believed that he was entitled to a job there.

Regards...jmcc

• Registered Users Posts: 5,827 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

I googled Eddy Temple-Morris (hadn't heard of him before) but couldn't find any discussion about his losing his job?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,827 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

Just putting this in here, lest anyone forget.

He has kept €150k funded by licence payers, that he said to the Irish people he would repay (if he couldn't fulfil the Renault deal..which will never happen) despite having bowed his head to the Oireachtas committee telling them how much he respected them and that he would do the right thing. End. Thief. Disgusting immoral pig with no respect for normal people. So, yes, I hope he fails miserably.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,402 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

That might be because he isn't a big name on Virgins roster. Not every personnel change is news, even radioland news - especially a presenter of an inbetweener slot on admittedly a big station but it is a massive market too.

He was there 5 years I think I read so sounds like Virgin didn't renew his contract.

He also has other interests in the business so it is not like he is a one trick pony like Tubridy.

Regards...jmcc

• Registered Users Posts: 5,999 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

That will be an easy one to sort- bombard virgin radio with email queries as to why Ryan hasn’t paid back this money and saying you won’t listen to his radio show until he does - frame it as a complaint so they have to take it seriously - hell soon get the message 😀

• Advertisement

• There are one or two comments from British people going to miss him sprinkled in Instatubridy but these are of course removed asap to make it appear there are no disappointed listeners

• If/when Tubs gets homesick & misses Dún Laoghaire pier & Clifden, and being recognised on the street, and/or his listenership fails to materialise to the extent all had hoped for, and he gets to renegotiate a humble offering at RTE, the spiel would go:

”It’s great to be back, I missed Dún Laoghaire, all my pals at home, my bolt hole at Clifden, everything about home, it wasn’t to do with money, which doesn’t affect my soul, and though I was loved and embraced in London, I feel the love even closer and stronger back here. Great to be back & friends again!”

• Registered Users Posts: 21,023 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Can someone photoshop tubs to look like sid vicious so we can see his punk look

• Registered Users Posts: 21,023 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Steve Coogan is always mannerly and attentive to tubs (as he scribbles down notes foe next Partridge series)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,322 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

I didn't realise Tubs came out with the senior hurling line. Such a fool. He absolutely raped the taxpayer for his 5 hours a week and a god awful LLS and he has the cheek to say that. Good riddance.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,432 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

He's on his way to Clifden this week so to speak.

He's turning on the Christmas lights on Friday. He's kindly doing it early so the kids can be home in time for the Toy Show.

It will actually be interesting to see if he makes any mention of the Toy Show from the stage 🤔.

I wonder does Theresa Mannion have the guts to ask him about it.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,029 Mod ✭✭✭✭HildaOgdenx

If the last few months have shown anything it's that he clearly has no self awareness whatsoever. This was obvious with him releasing a statement to the public while he is in contract negotiations with RTE. That pi$$ed off KB who called a halt to contract negotiations and Ryan was out of RTE.

It will never fail to puzzle me how anyone could reach their fifth decade without acquiring the slightest shred of self-awareness. But he did. As he has more than amply demonstrated over the years but especially since all of this blew up. I suppose it's at least partly to do with the fact that he lived a charmed life, falling in for a ridiculously overpaid job in an organisation that seems like a parallel universe to those of us who actually fund it.

I'm not going to rehash everything about the committee hearings but his demeanour throughout was very much, imo, do these people not realise who I am? As for the sending of the information at the last possible moment I still wish the committee had told him and NK that they would have to come in another day when they had had a chance to study what had been sent. It was such a lowlife 'stroke' to pull. In addition to being so disrespectful to the process.

And lastly, he obviously never had to worry about a job. As we know. Until now. Burning your bridges is seldom a good idea in any environment. But especially when it comes to your career. According to himself, he is playing senior hurling now. Leaving aside the tone deafness of using such a phrase and maybe it's just my sense of humour but ... does he know that hurling is an Irish sport...? Sorry! 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 40,138 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

does he know that hurling is an Irish sport

London have an Ireland Senior Championship win.

• Advertisement

Oh I'm well aware - thanks to a hurling-mad family - that it's played elsewhere.

Just my sense of humour, as I said. 😁

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement