Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hamas strike on Israel - Threadbans in op - mod warning in OP updated 19/10/23

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭RobbieV

The US and Israel have said a ceasefire deal is on the horizon for release of the hostages.

Once the hostages at safe and home Israel must continue its operation and finish the job.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,425 ✭✭✭SafeSurfer

The poster said they had watched a video of Hamas burning civilians to death with glee.

No such video exists. It’s not difficult to grasp.

The 47 minute video montage shown to the press, which I have seen, shows burnt bodies, not who burnt them. We know Israeli forces attacked houses and vehicles with tanks and helicopter hellfire missiles. If you want to know what effect these have look at some footage of the toad of death from Kuwait during the Gulf War and compare it to footage from October 7th.

Multo autem ad rem magis pertinet quallis tibi vide aris quam allis

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭Sir_Name

You are literally asking me to explain why Israel haven’t used nukes on Gaza.

Call it sneering whatever you want, doesn’t take away from the fact it’s a ridiculous question and not an example of Israel’s moral high ground.

However, since you persist. Here are a few, but not limited to reasons.

* there is no benefit to nuking Gaza, it would ultimately destroy the land and parts of Israel with it along with murdering/poisoning their own. I’m sure you’ve heard or are aware of the effects of radiation?

*without being flippant would be a terrible PR move

*the use of nuclear weapons in this day and age would be a serious threat to international peace

*Israel have never outwardly admitted it had nuclear capacity although it’s widely thought they do. If so the national atomic energy agency and nuclear inspections should be involved. They arent.

*nuclear weapons are a last last last resort.

*would be a serious violation of IHL and a war crime.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭rolling boh

Bit surprised Hamas would let some hostages go for just about a three day cease fire and then Israel will just go hard again .

• Registered Users Posts: 29,359 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Nope, the merest hint of a mention of terrorist organisation Hamas committing atrocities and you are demanding a level of proof and footage and evidence you never look for when similar claims are made against Israel. It's not difficult to grasp - what your agenda is here.

It is obvious it is done to defend Hamas, and you deny the atrocities committed by them and attested to in the articles I linked.

Hamas gleefully celebrated the deliberate and wanton execution of civilians, regardless of age.

Dozens of militants in trucks whooped and celebrated on Israeli roads as bodies and cars burned around them.

That's from actual Hamas body cam footage.

And still you defend them with these tactics.

But sure, come back to us when you play this atrocity denial game when accusations are made against Israel.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,522 ✭✭✭brickster69

Looks like he has been turned back to the dark side. He was talking quite well lately.

“The earth is littered with the ruins of empires that believed they were eternal.”

- Camille Paglia

Look, you can berate me all you want and make any accusations you want.

It doesn’t change the fact that Hamas didn’t video themselves burning civilians to death as was claimed.

If I claim to have seen a video of IDF soldiers gleefully burning Palestinians to death in Gaza will you accept that as fact or question it?

These are the scum you defend with your tactics here:

The latest footage was an unceasing display of horrors. Some of it came from Hamas body cameras and videos posted by Hamas militants to social media and later verified by Israel. Some was taken by civilians as they tried to escape, some by first responders. It showed bodies of people who had been bound. A room with at least seven bodies reduced to ash. Civilians shot in bedrooms, bathrooms, front yards. Blood so thick it nearly obscured hallway floors.

Dozens of militants in trucks whooped and celebrated on Israeli roads as bodies and cars burned around them.

But no, for SafeSurfer we must have actual footage of a Hamas scum terrorist killing a civilian, setting them alight and whooping with glee before they will believe it.

These are not the tactics of someone interested in the truth, these are the actions of someone out to obscure the crimes of Hamas scum terrorists. And in doing so, gives succour to them to commit further atrocities.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,695 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

While I supported Israel’s right to respond to the Hamas attack, it’s been very clear for some time now that the price that is being paid, their minimal efforts to disrupt and destroy Hamas and the absolute no end in sight to this response, that an indefinite ceasefire needs to happen and discussions need to start.

The displacement of 100,000s of people, homes destroyed and of course the many innocent lives lost on all sides, is incredibly sad- Hamas need to take responsibility for what has occurred but Israel now needs to come to the negotiation table - either side vowing death to the other side will never end this conflict

Again, post any unlinked quotes you want and I’m not going to continue with this but the claim was that a poster had seen footage that doesn’t exist. Believe them but don’t ask me for evidence of the video of three IDF soldiers burning seven Palestinian teenagers to death in Gaza. Is that fair enough?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,675 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Once the hostages are released, Israel has no cause for just war and must stop.

Are you going to qualify that. Once this batch of hostages have been released or all hostages including bodies of hostages who have been killed?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,509 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Yeah that act of theirs was rumbled a long time ago.

Deny Hamas do any wrong because they didnt see it. I've never seen an ostrich therefore ostriches arent real.

The poster may well have seen raw footage on social media before it was taken down, which is worse than what has been released. There is sufficient evidence in what has been provided to determine that Hamas committed atrocities against civilians, including beheadings, maiming and burning, as well as executions. Gleefully so, as the celebratory footage attests.

And quotes were not 'unlinked'. They were from the articles linked above, in a direct reply to your post. Demonstrates you don't even look at the evidence provided. At any point, you are free to look for some of this yourself online but nope... Any excuse to post defending Hamas.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/comment/121390564/#Comment_121390564

• Registered Users Posts: 20,980 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

That's rather fanciful , oct 7th gifted Israel the chance to make a fairly large point in gaza and they are not even half finished yet

• Registered Users Posts: 6,947 ✭✭✭circadian

Whatever about the semantics of my post, the fact that you're openly throwing out massive stereotypes is the problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,479 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Nobody has ever denied that the atrocities and barbarism of October 7th happened - it's not as if there is some counter narrative that that awful day and the numerous murders of innocent civilians didn't happen.

But that does not give Israel the right either to go into Gaza on a mission of genocidal revenge (and trying to dress it up as doing it for 'security' reasons).

• Registered Users Posts: 23,648 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Not only did Richard Boyd Barrett describe the man screaming Allahu Akbar at the top of his lungs as a bit of "verbal argy bargy" he refused to condemn the October 7th terrorist attack despite being prompted to do so.

The man is an utter cretin like his fellow cretins in the Dáil.

Yes, it is being denied, on this thread via "just asking questions" tactics and by conspiracy theory trolls elsewhere on social media.

There were posts on this thread insinuating the whole operation was a false flag attack by Israel.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,479 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

If there are people doing it here, they must be a tiny minority. From what I can see, even most strong critics of Israel admit that the October 7th terrorist attacks happened and are no fans at all of Hamas.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,695 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

Hamas also need to be clear to the world on their future intent though- it works both ways - I see a lot of finger pointing at Israel and rightfully so over the last couple of weeks- but Hamas can’t go back to their terrorist ways either

If your bar for facts and “evidence” is “the poster may have seen” then that’s fine.

I have condemned the heinous, barbaric attack by Hamas many times. In a thread in which Palestinian numbers of dead are constantly questioned, dead Palestinian children are dismissed as “dolls” by both official IDF sources and posters here. Why are some claims which are clearly untrue accepted as fact, defended and if questioned, those questioning them labeled as Hamas supporters, conspiracy theorists etc?

Many claims have been made by the IDF and Israeli bombing apologists which have turned out to be completely false. The claim that there is a video of Hamas terrorists burning people to death is false. They may well have done so, but a poster claiming to have seen them doing so is not true.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,581 ✭✭✭suvigirl

Palestinians in Gaza would be better off defending themselves against their so called leaders, Hamas, who couldn't care less about them.

How do Israelis, search people inside Gaza? How do they imprison people inside Gaza?

It's important to be accurate, not exaggerate. There are wrongs on both sides, but the terrorist attack on Oct 7th cannot be justified.

The condemnations that had to be dragged out of you, always with reservations and whataboutery and ifs and buts and maybes?

Nope, you never trot this line of questioning out for claims of atrocities alleged against Israel, so the "bar of evidence" angle won't wash.

There is sufficient evidence to conclude that Hamas burned civilians, from the footage and other evidence available. Similarly, there is sufficient evidence to conclude they celebrated such acts.

That is the truth. Do you deny it?

So why muddy that with "just asking questions" about the ghoulish specifics of the atrocities and exactly what horrific acts were directly witnessed? Why someone would take such issue with the claim someone actually saw it plainly speaks to a different agenda.

And don't pretend this is done in some neutral stance, setting some bar for evidence, because it is just your posts defending Hamas in a way your posts never defend Israel.

Don't have an issue with anything he said.

I have been saying the same thing since the start.

Hamas actions: Clear unequivocal evidence that they have committed war crimes. There is no reasonable doubt.

Israeli actions: Clouded by the principles of self-defence and the rules of war, mean that their actions need investigation before being adjudicated on. There is considerable doubt about whether they have committed war crimes.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,919 ✭✭✭Cordell

Or maybe the real problem is what makes me throw out these stereotypes?

International law allows for just wars, there are principles. Responding to clear war crimes such as the actions of 7/10 by Hamas are allowed. If all of the hostages are released, and any bodies returned, there is no justification for Israel to prolong the war. They could try and use the objective of bringing those responsible to justice to continue actions, but I don't think that would be sufficient to meet the test of a just war. So yes, as I said from the start of this thread, if Hamas release the hostages and hand over those responsible for 7/10 to the ICC, there is absolutely no justification for Israel to continue attacking Gaza. If Hamas only release the hostages, that is enough in my opinion, but not sure that the Israelis would see it that way.

It is not fanciful, releasing the hostages ends Israel's justifications. That is why the EU have called for the unconditional release of the hostages from the very start. They know that if the hostages are released, that they can make Israel stop.

Regime change in Gaza and Israel will follow the ending of this war.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,564 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

It should be long evident to you that Israel has used the Oct 7th attacks by Hamas as a means to justify its genocidal intent.

It has killed hostages held by Hamas (and also Israeli citizens during its response on Oct 7th) and has repeatedly shown little or no interest in entertaining the offers for hostage exchanges that Hamas has proposed.

Israel has no justification for much of its actions over the last 6 weeks, full stop and if and when this does come to an end, it should face charges for its actions in the same way Hamas participants should be held accountable for theirs.

I have close to no expectation that this will happen with respect to Israel and that is of course something they've known all along. They are a rogue state which is carrying out a genocide.

Advertisement