Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Steam Deck

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,737 ✭✭✭✭Penn

• Registered Users Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭McFly85

Can't get one, steam is slammed, been trying since bang on 6.

Aaand I've been refreshing so much steam is telling me I can't try for a while. Wonderful.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,256 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Having trouble with the payment screen, then again I've always seemed to have issue with either PayPal or card payments on Steam for some reason...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,455 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

The screen might change, but Steam buckling under heavy traffic never will :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,866 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

got to check out the 1TB and it said sold out. Battled through a few more times and got it checked out. I'd say there are loads of bots just adding them to baskets and then not being able to check out and they come back in stock.

• Advertisement

Not just heavy traffic, it’s the most awkward payment processing system generally. I find it regularly falls over to the point where I’ve ended up saving money buying a steam key elsewhere!

And when I got the notification for the original steam deck that my place in the queue had come up, I was on holiday in Amsterdam - so of course it wouldn’t allow me to buy it in Amsterdam with an Irish card - had to install a VPN to get the purchase through.

Anyway, today, finally managed to get a 512, seems it’s gone somewhat normal again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭Darwin

I've being trying since 6pm still no luck :( Keeps saying "There seems to have been an error initializing or updating your transaction. Please wait a minute and try again or contact support for assistance." what a **** show!

3-5 business days is great too. I have next week off :)

Not sure if it makes any difference at all but I thought going through the web instead of the app was far more stable of the last few minutes

• Registered Users Posts: 7,917 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

Sorely tempted to buy one, but I think it's probably just FOMO. Incidentally, upon visiting the website I spotted my new gold badge for being on Steam for 19 years. It's 19 years today that we've been waiting for HL3. :pac:

• Advertisement

I tried steam on my pc that store crashed on check out. Tried the website that said it was sold out. Went back to steam and it got through.

Actually bought the 512gb first then when that was successful I tried the 1Tb and that went through. Cancelled the first order.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭Darwin

Finally got the 512gb version through the app, seems to be a bit more stable now finally!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭Markus Antonius

Was never really into the whole idea of an OLED anythign but Wtf is going on here? I bought the older model for 543€ "on sale" in september. Now seeing the OLED with better specs going for 569!! (and to kick me while I'm down, selling off the one I own now for 469!!)

Scummy move by steam...

I wonder what would happen if my steam deck were to "fail" now through no fault of my own?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Couldn’t resist in the end. The deck is by far my most used gaming hardware so it was a bit of a no-brainer - especially since my launch model started playing up with SD cards.

Got the 512gb model - an extra €120 for the memory and what could be an inferior screen wasn’t enough to convince me.

Think I'll pull the plug on the 512 and sell my own deck for 300 or at worst case sell to CEX for 215, as really not looking forward to dealing with time wasters on classifieds!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,193 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

If your selling a healthy deck for 215+ let me know, young lad looking for a switch from santa, think he'd be better off with the deck and he can share my games.

If you've an rc plane going he wants one of them as well.

No idea if serious or not, I don't want to let it go for 215, but would happily do a deal for someone who would get the use from it. I haven't the heart to be advertising it anywhere because some of the buyers would genuinely do your head in just to waste your time!.

But PM me anyways, and lets see if we can sort something out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭Markus Antonius

Can you elaborate on what you mean by "what could be an inferior screen"? I've heard reports of it being highly reflective but not sure if this is what you are referring to.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,353 ✭✭✭✭McDermotX

Dont want to speak for super_furry, but I believe he may be referring to fact of the preference for the glossy screen of the 512GB to the etched, diffused screen of the 1TB models

Now it's purely a preference thing, some prefer the shiny, glossy look as they believe its more vibrant looking. Whereas some prefer the matte, etched look + better fingerprint resistance.

Personally, I prefer the latter from prior experience. I made the mistake of selling on one of the original Decks, a 512GB with the etched glass, and just sticking with a 64GB (upgraded SSD etc). Flicked between them for a few months, but moved on the 512GB as, frankly, it was worth more. Did not get on with the glossy, plasticky screen over time. I mean the screen is one of the weaknesses of the LCD Deck, but the reflectiveness of it made it a chore to use in certain lighting situations, and you had to put up with your mug looking back at you during darkly lit games etc. Even a good screen protector with some anti-glare properties didn't quite work for me.

So, personally I'm delighted to be going back to the etched screen, but it's very much a preference thing. Vast majority of reviews doing the rounds are with etched models, and are glowing, but you can't go wrong with either and both should give a fantastic image with far better colour reproduction than the original. The colour vibrancy controls along with the inherently brighter panels should allow both to be dialled in to suit all tastes.

If definitely upgrading the drive, then go with the 512GB and use the money difference to help against a 2TB. I'm probably just gonna leave the 1TB drive in as I've been playing musical SSDs with a number of handheld devices of late and it's a bit of a pain in the arse TBH.

On a nice summer day I tried to sit outside and play the deck. It was impossible. I know that's a weird use case but still I feel like the anti glare might be worth it.

• Advertisement

Pulled the trigger on a 512GB last night. Selling my Deck and a few bits means the upgrade is costing me €170, although I can take €50 off that cost for the equivalent NVME upgrade I was going to do so it's not too hard to stomach.

I got a 64GB with a 512GB SD card as it was cheaper than the 256GB model back in January, it was hard to know how much use I'd get out of it so couldn't justify spending €500+. I don't use it a ton but get good use out of new and old PC games and emulators, docked on TV etc.

I didn't mind the LCD but it was probably my only criticism of the original Deck and even then it wasn't really a criticism, it just would have completed the overall package as the device is a solid piece of kit. My only complaint was the size of the screen bezel!

Where did you sell yours? If anyone’s looking for a deal on a 256GB deck, pm me. Happy to do a deal for a boardsie, if anyone wants to pick one up as a present etc.

I'm selling it to a family member. I'm sure plenty of people will be looking to pick one up at a reasonable price now that loads of people will be selling them.

Also worth noting for those on the fence with the anti glare screen, the OLED screen is 50% brighter. The LCD screen is 400nits brightness and the OLED is 600 nits and 1,000nits with HDR so even without the anti glare screen there's still an improvement.

• Moderators Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭Azza

Digital foundry has a new video up about the Steam Deck OLED. Apparently input lag is improved as well.

Sold me own deck, going to cost about 200 to upgrade. Looking forward to ordering it tomorrow. What’s the first game everyone is going to play?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,993 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Dilemma folks. I've been offered a 64GB deck which has been very well looked after by a friend. They've looked after it and it's fitted with a screen protector, has a lovely grip, case, charger etc. It's €250. The thing is, I was always on the fence about it. He loves it, wanted me to experience it and would often offer to lend it for a few days so I could experience it. I had a PSP, never really got into it, same with the Vita. I'm not sure I'd enjoy playing on the sofa so close to my face.

He's given it to me for a few days to see if I want it (he's upgraded to an Asus). I tried Toy Soldiers and Defence Grid 2, they were grand. A few other games although they are supposed to run great, I found them awkward: Shadow Warrior, Shadow Tactics, Need for Speed Shift etc.

I'm really on the fence. Go with it as it's a decent price, if I don't like it I could always sell it on for the same money? Or, I've never been into mobile gaming?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,942 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

When you say awkward why not just get a dock and play it on the tv with any controller you have lying around?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,993 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

I hear you but at that rate I could just bring the old PC downstairs from the office/bedroom and use that. I haven't as space is at a premium but could potentially squeeze it in somewhere.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,455 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I think if the Steam Deck’s portability doesn’t appeal, you’re 100% better off with a normal PC. Portability is what the SD has going for it - you can do much better if the primary use is going to be a TV or monitor. You could build a modest-specced low profile PC that would handily outpace it.

Advertisement