Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A Woke Society? **Mod Warning In Post #435**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭89897

Can you not read your own post? You are again here saying its all on the women, not wanting women to have excess children. A woman cant make the child all by herself. Contraception and sex education should not be the burden of the women only. Call out the society and not the woman. Your position on the issue is not misogynistic but your speaking of it is.

Language and wording is very powerful in cases like this all the emphasis is put on the woman not the issue at hand.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭Jack Daw

Men don't get held back as much by excessive numbers of children women do.Men aren't the ones who have to give birth to the children women are.

That's why I emphasized women in my posts, as all the data from around the world shows that they are much more negatively impacted by excessive birth rates and Women benefit much more from access to contraception and abortion than men do.

You just can't accept you have no argument and are just picking at things because you are unwilling to let go.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,298 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

“Men aren't the ones who have to give birth to the children women are”

the societies those women live in are mostly controlled by men though.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

relevance?

I don’t let doctors tell me how to manufacture nanotechnology and I don’t tell doctors how to investigate diseases. It makes for a simple life.

they/them/theirs

• Registered Users Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,771 ✭✭✭eightieschewbaccy

Yep, the rare occurrences of illnesses can often give the medical community insights into illnesses that were lacking. Reminded of the book Hidden Valley Road, 6 family members diagnosed with schizophrenia which gave the scientific community an insight into the genetic origins of it. Wasn't remotely a standard scenario but gave new opportunities and angles for research.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,403 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭clampedusa

I happened upon this jonathan pie clip from 3 years ago on the same topic.

I think it might still be relevant, though the nonsense does seem to have been toned down just a hint since then. From 01:40.

Hope it wont be taken down by anyone easily offended.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,037 ✭✭✭applehunter

mod

anti Semitic post deleted. Threadban + warning sent

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

• Registered Users Posts: 18,324 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

I'd put it better as a very small % of people and depending on the area possibly mostly men, but how is that a problem? Im a man and I dont control the world, it doesnt help me that some other men might be controlling the world, all one knows is the system tends to throw up the more intelligent and innovative into positions of power and influence, so let competition sort it out and hope the system rewards success and not failure.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 5,114 ✭✭✭Shoog

This is absolute rubbish - most power and influence is inherited by birth and has little to do with talent (unless you subscribe to eugenic theory). The best way to become rich is to start out with a pile of money.

In such Scenario men come to dominate because historically men inherited all the wealth. We do not live in a meritocracy we live in a plutocracy.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,396 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

A suggested definition:

If you are a successful parent you have the tools to create success kids, nothing wrong with that, its why people generally try to create the best families they can. I dont buy second part at all though, as an example, who created the IT revolution? more or less men, they created an industry where one didnt exist at all. That wasnt about inherited wealth per say as their sisters had similar opportunities if they wanted. You would have to argue that sex differences dont matter, when in fact they do, across the population of the planet.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 4,088 ✭✭✭Sudden Valley

That is not a bad attempt but it makes no difference if it is not a definition known by most of the world's population. If someone describes something as woke to me and provides no further context I would not have a clue what they are talking about.

Even if a film is described as woke it could refer to the white male character is the bad guy, the film is pro trans, the lead female is a Mary sue, lgb people are shown to be happy , the white comic character has been replaced by a minority actor etc etc. Woke as a term means nothings as it means different things to different people.

People like Musk and Boaz both inherited their wealth. The fact that certain individuals such as Gates were geeks who invented essential tools doesn't invalidate the central premise that wealth and connections is how you make money.

No amount of good parenting is going to boost a child who's parents live on minimum wage into a position of wealth.

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Mullaghteelin

This is arguably true, but so is the definition of woke quoted in the post after this. They are not mutually exclusive. There was a saner, more rational Left wing that allowed debate and compromise once upon a time. Woke pushes it into an uncompromising religious cult-like fanaticism.

I actually don't know anyone who fits that fabioulous definition of wokism been used in that post. The problem with the very word woke is that it is a boggy man that doesn't actually map to any real world person or group. So nebioulous that it's only function is to attack progressives. Whenever you bore down into the detail it's not remotely true of the positions people take.

Wokism is simply a rallying call of the right to muster the troops against progress. It's highly effective precisely because it's indefinable.

they may have been given start up capital because their parents were well off, they still had to have good ideas and drive to push them through, the best a lazy trust fund kid can hope to do is get a lazy girl/boy job in some NGO. Look at the US, many immigrants have gone there in the 70's onwards and their kids are now successful. You just need good parents that instill a work ethic and basic rules for life, dont do crime, drugs, get pregnant as a teen,do get an education, work hard.....

• Advertisement

You cannot disprove the thesis by point to exceptions.

Your formula for success will lead you down an inevitable pathway, 50years of hard work making money for a wealthy man and then a short relatively poor retirement. It is not a pathway to wealth and success.

We live in a hierarchy based society where merit and ability is big part of that, somebody that decides to become an engineer or doctor deserves to get rewarded for that effort over someone who's level is bar staff (no offense to bar staff). You were making women a big part of you argument but everyone is free study what they want based on their intelligence and desires. The blue haired gang that seem to complain the most from their easy girl/boy degrees, why arent they in Engineering or Medicine? it aint the "patriarchy" keeping them down?

I think you mean woke is the cult-like fanatacism, not the rational left wing - the rational left wing still exists, it's just that woke shouts louder and gets more hysterical and so it gets all the airtime and people attack woke rather then left.

Left v Right political debate has been taken over by woke v populist and both are extremely more ignorant than their predecessors.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,457 ✭✭✭SharkMX

Ive a grand uncle with 16 children. It was like a competition between himself and his friend who could father the most. His friend had 12. He is always bragging about it.

It never held either of them back. The multiple women they had the children with were all very busy and never had a career though.

What system? There is no one system.

if there was you wouldn’t end up with Pol Pot or Hitler.

they/them/theirs

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

And if you live in certain areas it is much more difficult to parent and get your kids to avoid drugs, crime, getting pregnant young, third level education etc.

Parenting in a working class project is 10 times harder than from a nice middle class suburbia.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

You make the entirely to common mistake of confusing an observation with a criticism. My observation is simple your formula for living leads you down a pathway and that pathway doesn't end at wealth and influence, for that you need the right parents and a big healthy bank account before you even start.

Its like 2 people racing against each other in the 100 metres.

One has a 40 metre start, all the best training and the newest runners.

The other has second hand runners, very little training and starts 40 metres back in a 100 metre race.

Being told both people have the exact same opportunities is like advice from The Secret.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

your point was that men controlled society, but I dont control society and I am a man and it doesnt benefit nor hinder me that there tends to be a lot of male leaders generally across society , im not sure what hitler or pol pot have to do with it, (replace system with systems) they can be subverted

• Advertisement

And then if you don't succeed, it's your own fault, your lazy, didn't work hard enough, we all live in a world that the American dream is available to everybody, what's wrong with you?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement