Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Las Vegas Raiders Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 821 ✭✭✭Prefab Sprouter

Its a new day in our Franchise.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,688 ✭✭✭eire4

Made sense McDaniels was a disaster. Will be interesting to see who starts as QB will it be O'Connell.

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭InsideEdge

It's groundhog day if Mark Davis insists on picking the next Head Coach! I hope he does it properly this time and gets someone competent to identify a new General Manager and then let the new GM pick the Coach. Davis' track record since taking over from his dad has been awful. And whoever comes in needs to be given a lot of time to sort things out - we have a lot of dead cap money between Garoppolo and Chandler Jones, not to mention the money Renfrow got for not playing! And then they have to figure out all the assistant and positional coaches - most of whom seem to be ex-Patriots. It's still going to be a ****-show for the next 2/3 years...

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭Kev8360

looks to be Aidan O’Connell to start at least next week according to the reports.

as long as we don’t go for Jim Harbaugh I am open to anyone else coming in. We don’t need the drama of all that…

• Registered Users Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭Jolly Red Giant

Have to say - I told you so.

I warned everyone on this forum that McDisaster cannot be anything other than McDisaster - he is like petulant child with a silver spoon in his mouth, piggy-backing on BB and Brady, who doesn't know how to behave in adult company.

• Advertisement

Yep, Davis needs to stop going for the high profile hire. Get a highly rated Co-ordinator who is hungry for success, give him an initial 2 or 3 year deal, stop consulting old Raiders personnel who keep droning on about "The Raider Way", that horse has bolted the stable years ago.

Davis has admitted that he chose the last two head coaches before the selection process (which shows what he thinks of the Rooney Rule!) and that this time he won't prejudge the process. What's the bets that he's already locked in on Harbaugh!

I am not sure who or if anyone is advising Mark Davis on the next candidate but I hope he gets in some help with the recruitment process. My preference would be that we hire a GM first then have them lead the head coaching interview process - I don't understand why we hire a head coach who picks the GM - it makes no sense and when everything fails the whole process resets and you have 2 positions to fill.

Totally agree, we need to get the GM hire done first and let him/her(?) have the say in who will be the Head Coach. Whoever the GM and HC are, they need to set up a robust program of player and coach development in the organisation and they need to nail their first two drafts. If we can get a good, young QB and sort out the Offensive and Defensive Lines we could be in a strong position in a couple of years time.

It wouldnt surprise me in the least. He seems to be more impressed with hiring a name than someone who could be a real asset to the organisation. Agreed about getting the GM hire right but we have been down this road before too. When we hired Reggie McKenzie, there was almost universal agreement that it was a good hire, straight from the Ron Wolf stable of Execs. And then Gruden virtually runs him out of the building with Davis's blessing because the Golden child returned. Anyways we'll see - in the meantime bring on the Giants this Sunday.

• Advertisement

Well that was a pleasant change! Playing hard on defense, running the ball and targeting Renfrow - the Raiders were well up for that game and the energy was apparent on the sidelines. Whether that is sustainable for the rest of the season remains to be seen and there are some really hard games ahead but it's going to be fun watching this team again.

It certainly highlighted just how bad McDaniels was how well the team played right after he is gone.

Yep if they can repeat the effort levels against the Jets next week that would be good- I expect that to be a much more difficult game with the Jets D.

"Don't ever talk about the Patriots like that" - if that doesnt show a lack of self-awareness I dont know what does!! That was a great game on Sunday. It was so enjoyable watching a motivated team perform. And to see AOC play so well. "Its not the end, nor is it the beginning of the end, but it is the end of the beginning". As you said Kev, if they can repeat the effort levels against the Jets next week, I'll be happy with that. But for this week at least, I'm enjoying this feeling!!

yeah when you see players smoking cigars after a midseason win to go 4-5 you know there was some friction with the previous setup.

Looking at the behaviour in the dressing after that win last week and wow its fair to say the players or at least a large chunk of them did not buy into and or like McDaniels at all.

Haven’t seen the game yet but looking at the reports from last night it went similar to what I thought. Defensive battle and not a lot of offense on show. Glad that we could hold on for the win but still finding it hard going in the passing game. Good to see Josh Jacobs getting over the 100 yds rushing.

So Miami looms on the horizon. To be honest, lads I do think this will be more a honest test of Antonio Pierce and his management team. The two wins over New York teams were welcome (and it was great to see) but I think we will know exactly where we stand. Personally I'm not expecting anything other than a Miami win, but I'm more interested in our ability to keep it competitive. Its an east coast game with an early kickoff and all the signs point to a blowout but if our Offense can produce in the passing game as well as the run and if the Defense can keep its improved play going, I'll be happy. Everything else will be a wonderful bonus!

I would expect a loss as well. But the manner of it will be interesting. Is the team competitive or is this a blow out like the east coast trip to Buffalo earlier this season or even the defeats in Chicago and Detroit. The one upside is at least the game will be warm weather. I often think the Raiders really seem to struggle going on the road to cold weather.

Yep we have the 3rd worst rushing defense in the league - I expect Miami to give us a large dose of Achane (looks like he is back this weekend) and Mostert all day. Will need a big day from Josh Jacobs to keep the Dolphins offense off the field as often as possible. Not expecting a win but looking for the same effort from the team to keep the momentum up.

• Advertisement

That was a very strange game. Our defense really stepped up and put the offense in some great positions throughout the game and Miami looked like it couldn't get any rhythm going even with Hill having over 100 yards receiving. But our offense was strangely passive and seemed to retreat into a McDaniels type of game with really conservative play calling. I think O'Connell held on to the ball too long and wasn't as accurate as he could have been but our OLine was quite porous and Josh Jacobs kept getting hit in the backfield, which took away the run option. Hopefully, the offense can step up in the next few games to match the intensity of the defense - there is no point in the Raiders becoming a conservative team now, it's time to really go for it and see what O'Connell is capable of in terms of next season and in terms of what type of player we need to draft.

Yep have to take the positives out of the game - defense did well to keep the Dolphins close all game. Offense just couldn't get anything going deep down the field after the early TD and some bad throws especially the last INT into double coverage to kill off the game. Another tough game coming up against the chiefs. The effort levels are right up there - hopefully we can get the offensive gameplan going next week.

I agree lads. It was heartening to see the Defense so competitive in the game, but the offense were really poor. AOC looked very much the rookie in this game and the O-Line really needs to step up against KCC. Kolton Miller looks like he will be back for the game and not a moment too soon. Next 3 games are home games, which is good. No travelling cross country for an early Eastern time zone game. I said before the game that it was more about effort and progression than the result and I say the same for this week. Defense did just that but the Offense really needs to step up and if Hardegee isnt up to calling plays then AP needs to take over.

I think 2-2 over the last 4 weeks given the schedule was a good as I could hope for given the upheaval in the coaching room. The defense continues to show fight but its going to be a long road with our offense and Aidan O Connell - which is fine , we need to give him the games this year to see what he can do.

The schedule for the rest of the season reads pretty tough although at least 3 home games in there - I would like to see us continue the progress on defense and get some more production from the offense - only twice this season have we cracked 20 points.

I knew we werent going to stay with either Miami and KCC and it panned out as expected. One thing to note, in both games we flew out of the traps and played well for a Quarter and a half, then stalled. So AP has his team psyched up and ready to go. But the coaching staff need to improve in-game. As the opponents counter so we need to adapt and our coaching team doesnt seem to have figured it out yet. But the team (apart from Marcus Peters) is showing up and competing and that is good to see. We are better than either New York teams and not as good as the current AFC powerhouses. No surprise there. Now we have the bye week and the coaching team has 2 weeks to seriously prepare the team. I would hope that the Defense maintains its current competitiveness level and the Offense steps up. As Kev has said we havent scored enough points and that seriously needs to be remedied. We arent playoff bound but we can show that we are getting a lot better. One more thing, whatever happens about the Coaches, the General Manager has to be an inspired appointment. We are awful when it comes to drafting. I dont know if its the scouting Dept that is at fault or the owner meddling but we havent had a great draft in years. That really needs to change.

Well that was a whole heap of steaming something! It feels like we sent the whole offense on a two week holiday instead of using the bye week to actually come up with some schemes to get the offense moving. O'Connell looked like he didn't know what to do, holding on to the ball and looking like a scared rabbit for much of the game. And just when we look like we have a top level defense too!

Lots of work in the off-season, I can't see Pierce getting the Head Coaching job now and we'll need a new Offensive Line along with a QB so we better get our draft picks right for once. As Prefab Sprouter says above, getting the General Manager appointment right is key otherwise we'll have more years of misery following this team!

Both teams were so bad on Offense - it was a real hard watch. The interception at the end was a killer - really poorly thrown ball behind . A lot of work needed in the offseason on this time.

I am not so sure Antonio Pierce will get the HC job - defense has definitely responded but the offense if anything has gotten worse week on week. But given that we are still paying 2 head coaches back pay we may not have the finances to be too picky.

If the Raiders lose next weeks game against the Chargers then its quite likely the Raiders could see out the season on a long losing streak and go as high as the 4th pick in the draft. Right now the Raiders hold the 8th pick.

With Herbert out for the season who knows who will win that one! I don't see any other games on the schedule where we get a win. Its a good year to have a high draft pick if we want to go for a QB but there are so many issues across the roster I hope we can get a GM on board early to plan - expect to see some key players leave for draft capital - I would be surprised to see Davante Adams on the team next year.

• Advertisement

Think your probably right about Adams and maybe more. I think your right also about the need to have a new GM and get that pick right first and foremost. Team wise I think a QB is the number 1 priority. The team is going absolutely nowhere until the QB situation is sorted. There are as you say lots of areas that need major attention on the roster no question but unless the QB situation is taken care of the team will continue to go where it has for the most part the past 20 years and that is nowhere.

Advertisement