Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTÉ admits paying Tubridy €345,000 more than declared

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,610 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

He will no doubt call himself the Toy Man at some point. Nailed on.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,023 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

The only self aware professional in this saga is Chris Evans , he knows what he's doing

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭jmcc

It would be great if some Irish news orgs send journos to the event to question him about the 150K (and his new job, of course). Would RTE have the guts to put the boot in over his comments or will they run a "local boy does good" piece on his Clifden appearance?

Regards...jmcc

There is no hard hitting investigative journos in Ireland any more.

They are all one cosy cartel, noone wants to ask difficult questions.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,138 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

It's not up to "journos" to chase the 150k.

If RTE have a legal recourse to reclaim money then that's what they should do.

AFAIK I know Turbidy had agreed to pay back the money over the course of 2 years with a 2 year contract although there was no legal obligation to do so.

The contract was pulled so therefore so was the agreement.

RTEs fault to tie the repayment into a contract offer they rescinded when they should have used the leverage at the time to get the monies back in full immediately.

• Advertisement

And someone will point out to Virgin Radio that the "Toy Man" is a super-villain from Marvel comics. A few more gaffes like that and the Murdochs will be wondering what they've done.

Regards...jmcc

Perhaps it might be an unnecessary journey for Tubridy? Wonder how the Iceland gig turned out?

Regards...jmcc

• Registered Users Posts: 10,750 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

There’s also the issue of the tax that’s he’s paid on the amount too.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Registered Users Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭hawley

He told The Sunday Times: "I wanted them to know that there were these awful things that happened but that I came to this new land for a new opportunity with people who have been so respectful and so welcoming and so warm and so appreciative.

“They just said, ‘We care about you, you are a great broadcaster and you are ready to do this. We trust you, we admire you, we want you.’ And, I don’t know, it’s like a different language. I got very excited but I was worried. I was so worried about it because I was so scarred from previous experiences."

Since he was implicated in the story, he has done nothing except disparage RTE and treat the Irish public as fools. He has achieved nothing outside of RTE, as of yet. Might be better to stop with his condescending remarks about RTE and Irish people.

He has changed his tune from a few years back, when he was eager to stick it to the British.

He told the Irish Sun: "When you look at what is happening next door, we're leading by example. We are a country in great shape at the moment.

"But we need to protect ­ourselves and that's what I want to bring to the Late Late Show this season, a real sense of self country, a sense of nation, a real sense of who we are — week in and week out.

"I'm fed up at the kowtowing to the British. You are the past in terms of empire and bossing people around.

"We are in a European scenario now and we should be protecting the backstop. But as somebody hopefully reflecting what Ireland is thinking, we are going to be all over it.

"We'll be very proud to be Irish this season. You can't download soul and we are soul. We try to represent what Ireland is in a given week."

• Registered Users Posts: 10,432 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

Santa is making an appearance on the night as well. There's going to be some very confused children around town after seeing two Toymen and Santa on the same night.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,138 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

he has done nothing except disparage RTE

TBF there is at least half a dozen threads on this platform doing just that.

If he still pays his licence fee he is entitled to. 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭LambshankRedemption

SHe's the west coast correspondant. As the only news worthy item going on that day in this part of the world, she should definitely be there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭PeadarCo

There is nothing to question RT about the 150k. He earned it completely legally anything else is conspiracy. The issue was on the RTE side and RTE have added admitted that. The only way RTE can get it back is to make repayment conditional if future employment with them. The fact is he doesn't have work for RTE and we have seen he can get a job somewhere else. Now I appreciate for a lot of people here that's so mind blowing that they just come out in a fit of rage.

The hatred towards RT on this thread is sickening and says more about the posters in question than RT. All the guy did was get paid a huge amount of money for years. And let's be honest that fact was very well known even if the exact figures weren't accurate. Getting a high salary is not a crime. He didn't hurt anyone, didn't kill anyone but you'd have a hard time remembering that looking at this thread.

Now I appreciate this post will get me labeled as a "defender" of RT but again it says more about the posters here and the thread in general when pointing out basic facts is considered defending a person.

he was paid 150k for promotional events for Renault. He didn't do the promotions and so should pay the 150k back. He didn't. That is not conspiracy, that is fact.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,402 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

He "earned" it legally but did he not say at the PAC that he would return it. I don't think he attached any conditionality to that either.

Talks out of whatever side of his mouth he needs to, to get on in life.

• He was paid up front for work he didn’t do, a sum he promised to return without condition at PAC. Put aside the legality, it’s deplorably immoral & that’s what counts most in my book.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,023 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

That's not how life works though , you're meant to pay up after the work is done not before

• Registered Users Posts: 30,085 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Just because something is legal does not make it above board, or make it immune from criticism or beyond reproach.

You have presented an entirely strawman based argument. Where is it written that just because something was done in a technically legal manner means there is nothing to question?

The money is effectively tax payers money.

Unless RT gives the money back, or donates it to charity, he is ranked somewhere around pond scum as far as I'm concerned. Not a good look for someone who depends on his reputation \ good profile with the public. He can have the money or goodwill/reputation but he can't have both.

I say that as someone who prior to this scandal would not have engaged in negative commentary wrt Tubridy.

No fit of rage, no hatred. It is perfectly valid in society to form a negative opinion about someone for conduct that is legal but conflicts with other standards.

So yes, it is entirely valid to keep asking Tubridy about the money, especially in light of his comments to return it, while he conducts himself publicly.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭techman1

I'm fed up at the kowtowing to the British. You are the past in terms of empire and bossing people around.

"We are in a European scenario now and we should be protecting the backstop. But as somebody hopefully reflecting what Ireland is thinking, we are going to be all over it.

Thats what I was saying earlier, he is quintessentially irish establishment and has worked for the State broadcaster all his life and this is a very political organisation. So essentially he has been immersed in anto British sentiment all his working life. He would need to do kgb training in order to get all that out of his system and be re educated for UK broadcasting. Culturally he is completely out of sync with a UK mindset

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,402 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

I hardly think RTE is a hotbed of anti British sentiment tbf. The BBC is the organisation to be seen to copy for decades in there (that said, it has lost its special place in broadcasting of late)

It is a hotbed of haughty arrogance though to be fair and none more epitomised by their attitude towards Brexit.

Post edited by MrMusician18 on

• Registered Users Posts: 5,999 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

That fly the flag article is an interesting find- it could easily bite him on Twitter on a virgin radio feed come January - all depends if it gets traction or not but definitely something that could end his UK journey before it begins

deleted.

deleted.

nevermind.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,610 ✭✭✭Field east

IMO , he did ‘earn’ it legally up to the point where he was in a position to carry out promotional work to that value for Renault. BUT when there came a time that , due to Covid,etc, etc, etc,etc, he could/would not carry out the promotional work to the value of €150,000 then one could argue that he should return the full amount

. When one pays for services in advance the understanding between both parties is that services , to that value of the advance would be delivered. So holding on to ‘monies’ to the value of undelivered services/goods and will not be delivered should be returned forthwith.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,999 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

Whatever the rights and wrongs (and indeed I do think it’s wrong he holds into the 150k)- RTÉ should be bashed over the head for allowing such a deal in the first place - I mean they essentially said “we’ll pay you even if other people don’t pay us”- FFS like

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Mywifetoldme

It would be terrible if people posted that on Twitter or Virgin radio next January.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 60,636 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

He is reportedly getting max €100k a year it really does make RTE look like ejitts paying stupid money to all those independent contractors who supposedly bring in the ad revenue.

The time slots bring it in not the presenters long gone are days where presenters were must listen too.

No one working on air for RTE should be paid more €2k a week and if they can get more with a private media company let them off.

RTE also need to stop hiring independent contractors if you are on the air then you are RTE staff.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement