Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hamas strike on Israel - Threadbans in op - mod warning in OP updated 19/10/23

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,739 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

The point about Boyd- Barrett equviocating in that debate is correct. I am not someone with an axe to grind against all things left wing, but it's a bit rich of him to call Ursula out for double standards, yet he can't give a simple yes or no answer to a straight forward question.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,562 ✭✭✭Hoboo

And there are others who throw the fog of October 7th over the decades of atrocities carried out by Israel. This didn’t start on October 7th, the most surprising thing is that anyone is surprised it happened.

Mass murdering civilians in revenge isn’t war either, it’s a holocaust.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,680 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

(1) Israel does not have genocidal intent, however, Hamas does, and you are willing to excuse that.

(2) There is no clear evidence that Israel have killed hostages held by Hamas, but even if there were, the onus under international law to protect the hostages and return them is on Hamas. A failure to do so would add to the lengthy list of Hamas war crimes, which you refuse to acknowledge.

(3) The unconditional release of the hostages is something that the EU have called for from the start, it is the only way for Hamas to redeem their war crime. Calling for hostage exchange is an endorsement of Hamas war crimes.

(4) There is a possibility that Israel have committed war crimes, that will need adjudication at the proper times, there is an absolute certainty that Hamas have committed war crimes. It appears that you are unable to comprehend the difference.

(5) Hamas lead a rogue state that launches terrorist attacks as seen on 7/10

• Registered Users Posts: 6,425 ✭✭✭SafeSurfer

I condemned Hamas, without reservation, without qualification, without equivocation, multiple times. So at least be honest.

You speak of muddying the waters. The claim was that a poster had seen a video, that no one else has ever claimed existed or to have claimed to have seen. That’s evidence enough for you. Fine.

The principle of what can be claimed without evidence can be dismissed without evidence only applies to posters you disagree with. Fine.

Multo autem ad rem magis pertinet quallis tibi vide aris quam allis

• Registered Users Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

I hope you’re equally strong in your view that Hamas too need to be held to equal account - it works both ways you know

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,564 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

You won't find a single post of mine excusing Hamas' behaviour. You know this, stop pretending I have done so. I have made posts saying that it is reasonable for Israel to pursue them in various ways including using Mossad to 'neutralise' its leaders. How much more acknowedlgement do you want from me beyond what I've said about Hamas's actions being horrific, and unacceptable?

There absolutely is clear evidence of Israel committing war crimes. But you can relax, they will not be held accountable. And Israel's PM shown a map at the UN of the 'new middle east region' with Palestine completely removed, he has since spoken of bibilical guidance to justify the killing of all Palestinians. These are facts.

I presume when you talk about the unconditional release of hostages, you are including the thousands of Palestinians held without charge in Israeli prisons?

I see Hamas as a terrorist organization, I have been clear about this since I first posted. You will have to construct a different strawman if you think you can challenge any support for them coming from my direction.

See previous post. I don't need you to tell me how accountability works.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,981 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

If oct 7 happened here I would wish the purps to suffer greatly

• Registered Users Posts: 7,581 ✭✭✭suvigirl

There absolutely is clear evidence of Israel committing war crimes. 

You know.this how exactly?

Most people would wait until the investigators have done their job

• Registered Users Posts: 5,524 ✭✭✭brickster69

Do Palestinians have the right to self defense under international law ?

“The earth is littered with the ruins of empires that believed they were eternal.”

- Camille Paglia

• Advertisement

Pssible but that is solely up to the people of both to decide who they want, no one else. The right to self determination you see.

“The earth is littered with the ruins of empires that believed they were eternal.”

- Camille Paglia

Link

[p.225] Article 33 is derived from Article 50 of the Hague Regulations: "No general penalty, pecuniary or otherwise, shall be inflicted upon the population on account of the acts of individuals for which they can not be regarded as jointly and severally responsible".

Or maybe you can tell us how telling the entire population of an area to move, or turning off power/water/internet to them, or targeting water supply lines, bakeries etc doesn't constitute this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Rosahane

It might have helped your comprehension if you had actually bothered to read all of the article rather than the first line which mentioned another, now redacted study!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭crusd

A factor not included in comparative studies of IQ tests is the actual exposure to doing the tests. Kids and adults in countries with regular standardised testing tend to score higher than those in countries that dont. One of the reasons Ireland are relatively low on the IQ tables is because we do relatively little standardised testing compared to other developed countries. In this scenario results tend lower as there is an element of learning how to take the test. There is obviously a limit to how much learning to take a test will improve the result.

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭Ulixes

That would at least be something positive to come out of all the death and suffering.

The problem with that is the actions were those of Hamas, the elected government of Gaza.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,367 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Should be easy to find such posts then. I only recall ones couched in reservation and whataboutery or vagueness, without accepting their atrocities as a fact.

Similarly, should be easy to find the posts where you challenged with "dismissed without evidence" for an accusation against Israel. Because when you only bring it out for claims against Hamas, you can see why is creates the impression you are here as a Hamas defender and tacit supporter.

"At least be honest"? Those are your words not mine, so maybe take your own advice.

There is sufficient evidence to conclude that Hamas burned civilians, from the footage and other evidence available. Similarly, there is sufficient evidence to conclude they celebrated such acts.

Do you deny it?

You were asked that as a simple question in previous post and no answer was given.

So if you don't deny it - do you accept Hamas carried out such atrocities and do you condemn Hamas for it, without reservation, without ifs?

And if you accept it happened, why would you take such issue with the possibility that somewhere online such footage was actually seen?

And why does that seem to matter more to you than the fact of what Hamas actually did?

Given that we know Hamas carried out atrocities against civilians, and we know from body cam footage they recorded atrocities and shared them online before being taken down, and what has been shared in mainstream media is redacted.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

Look Odyssey, you are making claims. It is up to you to prove them.

Of course we all know that Hamas committed horrific atrocities against civilians on October 7th. What we also know is that there were also claims made of atrocities, alleged by Israeli sources which did not happen, were exaggerated, unverified and subsequently retracted.

I accept that Hamas committed atrocities including even burning civilians but what you won’t accept for some reason is that no video of Hamas burning civilians exists or is claimed to exist by anyone except the poster you are defending who has claimed it.

Do you accept that the video doesn’t exist?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,321 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

They shot dead in cold blood a son who was leaving his house with his father. Back of the head. They were not resisting. There was no suggestion he was a militant. Just bang.

Shot dead a kid with for throwing stones.

No justification for either of those.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,482 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Yes, it's widely accepted that around 800 Israeli civilians were murdered by Hamas on October 7th, mostly as a result of being shot dead. However, many of the more lurid and horrific claims of how some of them were killed which emerged in the following two or three days do not appear to have been substantiated or proven (so far).

- Camille Paglia

• Registered Users Posts: 8,436 ✭✭✭jmreire

One of the memories that I can't unsee is when ISI paraded their prisoners, handcuffed and dressed in vivid orange jumpsuits (Guantanamo style) before executing them by beheading them, except for the Jordanian Pilot who they burnt alive. For me, Hamas and ISIS are one and the same thing. There is no difference in either their methods of terror or global aims of an Islamic Caliphate. The Palestinians are just a means to an end for them, nothing more.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,598 ✭✭✭quokula

You might think that, but you are completely and totally wrong. There is no relationship between them, Islamic State considered Hamas an enemy as Hamas' goal is a free and self governed Palestinian nation state (yes, a Muslim one, in much the same way as Israel is a Jewish one) while ISIS were opposed to nation states and instead wanted a caliphate.

And if you're talking in terms of pure brutality, the IDF is surely the organisation most similar to ISIS in terms of the atrocities they've actually committed. They've even copied another element of the IS playbook in tearing down monuments in the West Bank to try and destroy their culture.

It says a lot that the method of justifying warcrimes against Palestinian civilians has moved on from collective punishment of Palestinians for the actions of a few Hamas terrorists, as any concept of proportionality has long gone out the window there, so you're now trying to justify the ongoing mass murder of innocent Palestinian children as some kind of retribution for any crime committed by any muslim anywhere in the world even if those people were directly opposed to the cause of Palestinian freedom.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭crusd

The last election in Gaza was in 2006. Its pretty obvious most of the population had no part in electing Hamas.

An lest we forget, one of the reasons Hamas got elected and maintained power was Netanyahu's policies of undermining the PLO and allowing money be funnelled into Gaza to Hamas to further undermine the chances of a unified Palestinian regime.

No, Hamas do not want a free and self governing nation for Palestinian Arabs. They want an Islamic State governed by Sharia law. That required massive restrictions on freedom and completely precludes self governance. Both ISIS and Hamas are Sunni, both want to ethnically cleans the regions they control of all non Sunni Muslims. Both see the deaths of their own civilians are a worthwhile endeavour as the dead are martyrs and any amount of blood spilled is justified in pursuit of their mandate from heaven.

Suggesting that the IDF are most similar to ISIS and the implicit suggestion that their actions are worse than those of Hamas is disgusting and is beneath contempt.

Ignoring that Hamas is the elected government of Gaza and that their actions enjoy broad support amongst the Gazan population is deserving of the same contempt.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,367 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

I don't accept that the video doesn't exist or never existed. You state that you accept they burned civilians.

We have abundant evidence also that they streamed horrific footage of their the attacks, footage which was then taken down by responsible media outlets. Therefore it is plausible than someone saw footage of one of these horrific acts. It is baffling therefore why you would go to such lengths to dispute it.

"I accept that Hamas committed atrocities?"

Do you miss the step where you were asked to condemn them also? Why are you incapable of giving a straight answer to this question?

And as has been pointed out to you multiple times, and you have offered zero defence, you never post the line "you are making claims, it is up to you to prove them" to anyone making such claims about alleged Israeli atrocities. Only ever Hamas ones.

Therefore your posts here are not to advance the truth or set some bar for evidence, they serve the purpose of muddying the waters of atrocities you accept Hamas committed. If your posts are not intended to act in defence or support of Hamas, that is not the way to go about it because that is the impression they create.

The truth is that Hamas committed atrocities, including deliberate targeting and brutalisation of civilians, including burning of them. That is the truth we must not lose sight of.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,981 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

I personally don't believe the babies were beheaded but I've seen enough of the reality for me to form an opinion that Israel should continue their campaign until hamas are dead and cannot regroup

Yep Netanyahu and his government of extremists did indeed do what they could to undermine Fata (formerly the PLO) but Fata were monumentally corrupt and inept so it was an easy task.

Hamas enjoyed broad support in Gaza in 2021 when 53% of the population approved of their leadership (only 14% supported Fata). Recent poles showing a large increase in that support seem to have been conducted over a very small population sample so I don't consider them to be as reliable.

• Advertisement

Ok, so you are willing to believe someone who says they have seen something that nobody else has seen. That’s fine but then don’t dismiss others as conspiracy theorists if that is your standard for evidence of truth.

You say I don’t hold those condemning the killing of Palestinian civilians to the same standard. There seems to be an ample number of people on this thread dismissing dead Palestinian children as dolls, denying the shooting of unarmed civilians by Israeli soldiers etc.

Also only one side in the conflict is targeting those reporting on atrocities, killing them and their families.

Only one side is seeking to reduce the punishment for those who have burnt children to death.

Advertisement