Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork to Limerick rail improvements

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,580 ✭✭✭cgcsb

It's likely in the future that running speeds on Dub to Cork, including Dublin to Limerick Junction will be greatly improved. Also Limerick to Limerick Junction will be double track which means more speed improvements. 1hr20 is with little or no investment

• Registered Users Posts: 26,347 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Toilets.

Also the train to Cork is €22 return booked in advance or 30 on the day and the bus is 26 so usually more expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭sheff the ref

There appears to be quite a bit of work going on at the moment

A bridge was replaced just outside Dromkeen on the Limerick to Limerick Junction line a couple of weeks ago over a weekend.

The aim seems to be 200km/hour on the Dublin Cork line according to Jim Meade and they seem to be upgrading the Limerick to Limerick Junction section to reach those speeds

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,083 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Are you sure it wasn't just these bridge works being carried out?

Limerick City and County Council wish to advise motorists and road users that Bridge Repair Works will take place on Railway Bridge UBL19, Woodfarm, Co. Limerick off the N24, from Monday 28th August 2023 to Tuesday 31st October 2023.

That wouldn't be anything to do with upgrading the line. There haven't actually been any plans released for upgrading the line, so any construction works will be quite a few years away yet.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,070 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

Read the room!

I would not take the bus if you paid me to do it. People quite simply don't like buses, trains are far more comfortable. You can walk around, use the toilet, and the ride is way smoother.

• Advertisement

People don't like buses? Somebody should tell the multiple bus companies running hourly services between Dublin and Cork/Limerick/Galway/Waterford that they're wasting their time because people don't want to use their services 🙄

Most coaches have toilets on board these days and the ride along the motorways is very smooth.

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭loco_scolo

I'd still take the train any day over the bus, even though most of the train routes do not compete with direct motorway buses from a time perspective. The city centre bus stop locations are a big advantage, but improved city rail / tram / bus networks will reduce that advantage. As trains get faster (up to 200kmh), there'll be no comparison.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,097 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

that's the beauty about high capacity corridors like cork to limerick and all of the other ones served by rail.

they can support both road and rail and everyone is happy.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,942 ✭✭✭cantalach

The urgency and drama of “read the room” is lost when it comes after a delay of 18 months. Regardless, I got the train to Dublin once in the last 10 years and vowed never again. Let’s ignore for a minute the overcrowding, the pissheads, the people sitting in your reserved seat, the infrequency of services at night time, and the stupidly high prices. You’re still stuck with the fact that the train doesn’t actually go to either Dublin city centre or Dublin Airport. It goes to Heuston and you need to take a Luas and/or bus to get to your final destination. So the total elapsed time and travel stress is much higher. I’ve taken the Aircoach to Dublin Airport many times and it is a comfortable, fast, low stress, and inexpensive experience. They even have a toilet! Adderall might help with your inability to remain seated for 3h.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭KrisW1001

If you’re going to Dublin Airport, then yes, the train is a non-starter, but if you’re going to Dublin city centre, train and Luas works quite well - far better than coach options.

You are entirely right that the coach service to the Airport is very good, though, but that’s precisely because it doesn’t go into the city; once you have to enter Dublin city centre, you can be waiting a very long time in traffic.

I’ve had one bad experience travelling by train, but many very good ones; I’ve had bad trips on coaches too. Generally, if I had to take a coach, I’d rather just drive - it’s faster, I get to choose the music, and who sits next to me... and I’ll get exactly where I want to go, but if a train is available, I much prefer that to driving: I can read, have a drink, relax.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,347 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Every Coach I have been on recently has had an out of order sign. I haven't been on a bus with a working toilet in years.

For me personally extra comfort vastly outweighs the extra time. Even going to Dublin airport from Limerick I get the train and then Aircoach from Heuston when possible.

Both have their uses though and not sure why it's being looked at as an either or situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭DylanQuestion

My boyfriend lives in Dublin and we visit eachother every week. We recently swapped from the train to the Aircoach. Ridiculously cheap in comparison, just as comfortable if not more comfortable, has a toilet, just as fast (feels faster too as you’re not stopping) and you get off in the middle of the city centre. Don’t get me wrong, I love the train, and a few months ago I never would have chose the bus over it. Now I do

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,794 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Personally I much prefer the intercity coaches to the trains. I'm a Corkonian living in Dublin more then 20 years. The first 10 years, before Aircoach started up, I always took the train. Once Aircoach to Cork started up I've switched almost fully to coach. The only time I've been on an intercity train in the last 10 years is too Killarney, otherwise monthly trip to Cork is by GoBus now and less frequently Galway/Belfast.

And it isn't a cost thing, I can easily afford the train, but I genuinely prefer the coach.

Others have already mentioned the City Center bus stops being more convenient then Luas from Heuston.

But also I find the coach more comfortable. Guaranteed seat, no need to argue with people about your reserved seat like on the train. Much quieter, I find the ride of the coaches smoother and less noisy. I like that they turn down the lights on the coach, while the trains have bright glaring white LED lights, never mind the constant announcements in both English and Irish.

I can actually relax and just sleep on the coach, something I could never do on the train.

Obviously the train has some advantages, bigger tray tables, 4 person tables if travelling by family, being able to get up and walk around. Though the last one leads to a lot of anti social behaviour and makes the trains feel less safe and quiet.

Trains in Ireland really aren't anything special.

I think it would be a bad mistake for folks at IR to dismiss the coaches in this way, many people actually prefer them.

Every Coach I have been on recently has had an out of order sign. I haven't been on a bus with a working toilet in years.

I'm not sure which coach/route you have been on, but that certainly hasn't been my experience of my frequent use of Intercity coaches, I haven't seen an out of order toilet in a decade on a intercity coach (mostly Gobus, along with some Aircoach, Citylink and Dublin Express).

For me personally extra comfort vastly outweighs the extra time. Even going to Dublin airport from Limerick I get the train and then Aircoach from Heuston when possible.

Ah, Limerick, so that company! Yeah, I wouldn't base my overall experience on them, there are VASTLY better coach operators in Ireland. Though if you are heading to the Airport, I'd suggest checking out the Citylink Eireagle service, you might be pleasantly surprised.

If you’re going to Dublin Airport, then yes, the train is a non-starter, but if you’re going to Dublin city centre, train and Luas works quite well - far better than coach options.

Nope, I still always take the coach from Cork to Dublin City. It is far more convenient and faster IME. Plus I prefer it.

You are entirely right that the coach service to the Airport is very good, though, but that’s precisely because it doesn’t go into the city; once you have to enter Dublin city centre, you can be waiting a very long time in traffic.

Many of the intercity coach services go to Dublin City before heading to the airport. All the ones from Cork and most from Galway. Even at peak times and with traffic, it is still much faster and more convenient then taking the train.

I mean even if you take the train, it only goes as far as Heuston and from their you take either Aircoach or DX coach to the airport (or worse Luas + 16/41) and get stuck in the same traffic anyway.

Generally, if I had to take a coach, I’d rather just drive - it’s faster, I get to choose the music, and who sits next to me... and I’ll get exactly where I want to go, but if a train is available, I much prefer that to driving: I can read, have a drink, relax.

I mean you can do exactly the same on an intercity coach! Sit back in your guaranteed seat, relax, read, watch a movie with the supplied 5g wifi + power, all totally normal on the intercity coaches. Even better as it is much quieter and more relaxed then the train.

Honestly reading these comments, I feel some of you have no idea how good some of the intercity coach services have become.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,794 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

If you are heading to Cork I'd recommend GoBus over Aircoach and if heading to Belfast Dublin Express.

Both GoBus/DX have new coaches which are larger and have far more leg room then Aircoaches new coaches which unfortunately have very tight legroom. Of course, assuming the time suits you.

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭DylanQuestion

• Registered Users Posts: 2,571 ✭✭✭orangerhyme

Is it possible to build a railway from Charleville to Patrickswell and use the Foynes line for Cork trains instead of through Limerick Junction?

I'm sure they're looking at it. It's only 28km.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭Hibernicis

They're not looking at it. There will be improvements at Limerick Junction and a double tracking of the line into Limerick.

'Only' 28km would be 28km more of new track than has been land in over a century.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,176 ✭✭✭hans aus dtschl

Just for fun I have to point out...it wouldn't even be new :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭Paddico

Is the plan for direct trains from Cork or would you still need to change at the Junction?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭pigtown

Both as far as I can tell. There's already hourly connecting trains to Dublin and Cork at the Junction which I assume will be retained, if only to keep the Dublin access. But they're also talking about direct trains through the Junction. We could end up with more than 1 train an hour between the two cities

• Registered Users Posts: 3,052 ✭✭✭Vic_08

If it were up to me I'd have portion working to combine hourly Cork - Limerick, Cork - Dublin semi-fast and Limerick - Dublin direct via Limerick Junction.

2 sets Cork, Mallow, Charleville, Jct. with first part continuing on to Limerick. Train from Limerick combine with rear portion and continue to Dublin with stops at Thurles, Portlaoise and alternate 2-3 others.

This would then allow the main Dublin - Cork to be sped up significantly by running non-stop or 1 stop max.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

There needs to be serious improvements at Limerick Junction, both in terms of track and in the station its self. If you change trains there you basically have to know where you're going or ask someone, no signs, no real time information, no printed timetables, nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,723 ✭✭✭AngryLips

Why would they bother? They've already decided to go ahead with the motorway and ignore the need for improved rail connections as part of the study into that project.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,753 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

What improvements are needed to the track?

I would agree about the lack of information screens, but there are very clear and constantly repeated announcements made every time a train arrives at Limerick Junction about which platform to change to and there are very clear platform number signs throughout the station.

Completely separate projects. Forcing the M20 project to look at rail options too was idiotic. Frankly both projects are needed, we desperately need the M20 and we must also improve the rail service.

It looks like we will see improvements to the rail across three projects, Limerick to Limerick junction, Cork to Mallow and over Cork to Dublin intercity line.

Double tracking, electrification, speed improvements, junction closures, signalling, Limerick Junction improvements, higher speed trains, etc.

If handled properly you could create a really good, busy network here, Limerick to Cork trains, Limerick to Dublin trains and Limerick to Junction, with change to frequent Cork to Dublin trains. A real frequent network effect.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭waterwelly

And further traffic through to Galway I'd imagine.

Galway Cork direct?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,753 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

Not forgetting Galway to Waterford trains too.

Advertisement