Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk XII: Farrell's First Fifteen

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Leslie Purkiss

If you’re right about POM vs. NZ, we better find a completely new backrow quickly. He had as much impact on the game as I had.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭ulsteru20s

The guy i was replying to did say he shouldn’t even be in the squad.

I personally would pick Ryan as captain but POM wouldn’t be crazy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭Downlinz

This sounds like the definition of the sunk cost fallacy, or at least potentially.

Ryan is a good player but was literally dropped at the business end of the RWC and his lineout calling has repeatedly been shown up as below the standard required at the elite level. Not to mention being overlooked by the Lions due to his lack of physicality gives an impression of a player who still has room to grow to reach a world class level.

Beirne and Henderson are also fine players at any given time may be the chosen starters over him as they were recently. There's also a number of promising second rows coming through like McCarthy, Edogbo or Ahern who may at some point in the cycle be considered starters.

Given all the doubts nailing colours to the mast for Ryan at this stage would be a poor decision that could lead to an uncomfortable Sam Cane type situation.

POM is 34 and in an attritional position so I'd be very surprised if he wasn't in his last season or two. Given his experience and current status in the team he would make the most sense for captaincy for a season or two after which the natural successor might be a bit clearer.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,379 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

Eh? Wasn't Ryan injured (hand) for the business end of the RWC?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,169 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

I think the myth of Ryan's poor lineout calling was busted when he was unavailable for the New Zealand game, yet we still struggled with Henderson and Beirne.

It was as much a systems failing as anything else which our coaches need to accept a substantial portion of the blame.

We also missed his work at the breakdown. There's no forward in Ireland better at blitzing a ruck.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,886 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

He came off the bench in the Scotland game.

I'd be surprised if he didn't start the NZ game had he been fit though.

That was it, cheers. I presumed business end meant the NZ game though, but mileage may vary I suppose. On the bench anyway, so not dropped. Then not available due to injury from the hand injury in the Scotland game. So not dropped.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Must love hardship

How was Irelands line out so poor in the world cup with Pete o'Mahony the world's greatest line out operator in the team?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭RichieRich_89

Bad coaching by head kicker O'Connell.

Plumtree doesn't look too hot as a head coach for the Sharks at the moment, but he was a brilliant lineout (and maul) coach for Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,941 ✭✭✭TRC10

Ah yes, the good old "knowledgeable rugby fans see what I see, I see things that other fans don't"

You're not some "higher level" of rugby fan for knowing that POM is good at the breakdown

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,802 ✭✭✭✭bilston

The fact is that in the last game that Ryan was available for he was on the bench. Therefore no one can say with any certainty that he is nailed on in the team. The same players he was competing with at the WC will still be about for at least half the next WC cycle, if not the whole thing, and in McCarthy and possibly Ahern and whoever else emerges there will be even more players putting him under pressure.

If we want to pick someone who is as close as guaranteed a spot in the team then pick Keenan as captain. That doesn't seem viable for a number of reasons so personally I'd choose Ringrose. Otherwise pick O'Mahony for a year or so while Ryan nails down his spot or someone like Sheehan is ready to take the job.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭ulsteru20s

Yea, you are massively overrating the observation powers of the average fan.

The whole Doris at 6 thing is the perfect example of that. He looks better at 8 just means ‘i notice him carry the ball more’. That’s it. Have they compared his different involvements in those roles? Or how he performs in those involvements?

Almost all rugby analysis is very superficial. The actual numbers that coaches would look at when selecting or analyzing performance are very rarely talked about publicly. Its all vibes.

POM playing badly in the NZ game is this same thing. What does that even mean? Was he slower to the breakdown? Less effective cleans? Nah, vibes.

Whilst I personally have no issue with Beirne or Henderson being in any Ireland team at the moment, I feel Ryan kinda is the most choosable of those three. He's been ahead of Henderson pretty consistently - or at least it seems that way, I haven't looked up the stats - and I realise that Henderson has has his injury problems which makes a comparison problematic - and Beirne is a different animal to Hendo/Ryan so he's complementary rather than directly competing with. For Leinster, Ryan is one of the first names on the sheet if he's fit.

I took exception to one of the posts above because he wasn't dropped and frankly a lot of the rest of the post was bizarre.

Anyone calling Ryan's game to be lacking in physicality hasn't been watching him play since the Lions tour (which didn't feature lots of players people thought deserved it but did feature ... Adam ... Beard, a real talent in the second row and AWJ who whilst a past great was absolutely not in the top two on second row play alone, he got in for 'leadership appreciated by Gatland'). Him going off injured was one of the main reasons Leinster didn't win last year's HC final. He was smashing people in the tackle and the ruck. There's absolutely truth to Ryan going through a period where his form wasn't good at all, and it centred around when the Lions decisions were made. He started off in fantastic form for both Ireland and Leinster, then had a year and a half or so where he just wasn't up to that standard and has come back very strong since then. He's worked on the physical aspect and is now one of the bigger hitters in the Irish squad. The lineout calling, particularly at the WC, isn't limited to Ryan, the lineout was a mess and there were several others on the field - who aren't called out for their lineout calling - when all the problems occurred. Then when he wasn't even in the 23, the lineout also totally f*cked it. He wasn't the problem.

Given the person - O'Mahony - he's being talked about in captaincy terms has also had (longer than a year and a half) periods where his form hasn't been great, it's a bit odd to be calling him out for it. Especially where they were two years ago. In terms of being nailed on for a starter position, he's more nailed on than the other contender in the forwards for the captaincy.

For the record, I have no problem with POM as captain for the next year. He deserves it if it gets it and the eminence he has amongst the squad and the leadership he provides (much like the AWJ reference above) outstrips anything anyone looking to take his spot gives us. I'm not saying it's my choice,I still think it'll be Ryan or Ringrose, but if it's not and it's O'Mahony I'm totally behind that decision. He's very worthy.

Post edited by Dave_The_Sheep on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭Downlinz

Ruadhri O'Connor asked this to Farrell on Ryan's benching for the Scotland game and was told it was a "form selection". After all you don't select an injured player for the bench.

But yes, the point is that I think waiting another season or two and seeing how the second row battle unfolds along with how Ringrose or others develop as leaders will leave us in a better position the pick the right captain.

POM makes sense as a short term option rather than backing someone who hasn't fully nailed down their place or is light on captaincy experience.

Yeah, see above. Not dropped.

I can practically see the back of my own head.

Post edited by Dave_The_Sheep on

• Registered Users Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭Paul Smeenus

I think it's entirely obvious that he meant dropped to the bench.

Although I suppose we could spend several pages arguing disingenuously about semantics and exact terminology, Henderson started against Scotland because he was playing better.

For one match, which wasn't the last (business end) match we played. It was a disingenous assertion (at best) as well as being an inaccurate usage of the word dropped.

But I'll (probably) leave it there.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,597 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

How do you take it from POM after a year unless he is retiring? Either he is playing well enough to be still a starter and you're 'stripping' him of the captaincy

This wouldn't be something new tho. It's happened Drico. And Heaslip too iirc? Who is someone I would point to as the perfect example of a short-term / interim captain. I think POM would be ideal til the end of next season tbh.

...or he isn't playing well and the team has had to deal with him being kept as a starter when it isn't deserved due to the title or we're facing the drama of the captain being dropped.

Playing someone who doesn't deserve it doesn't at all sound like something Farrell would do tbh so I don't think you need to be concerned about that.

It is a much easier transition for one of the younger players to take on the captaincy now with a clean slate post Sexton than under the likely extremely toxic environment of it being given to them after it being taken away from POM.

Extremely toxic environment? Do you mean within the camp? Cos that doesn't sound at all like something POM would contribute tbh.

If you mean outside the the camp i.e. fans and media, even if we grant you that (which tbh, I think is a stretch), I'm again not sure it's something Farrell would pay any heed to whatsoever. I don't think any outside voices have an affect on Farrell's selections.

I'd agree with a lot of that, but the one difference is with regards the ability to talk to (influence) the referee.

James Ryan captained Ireland in the RWC warm up game against England at the Aviva in August, with a relatively full strength side, that also included Peter O'Mahony.

He injured his wrist in the South Africa game, and I think people are reading too much into Henderson starting ahead of him v Scotland. He has consistently and deservedly been ahead of Henderson virtually for his entire career. I think if he was fit to play NZ he'd have started that game in all likelihood too. Henderson was abysmal that day as well fwiw.

The only reason it would make sense to give to O'Mahony would be if it's definitely not going to go to James Ryan, otherwise it makes no sense to give to O'Mahony now and then Ryan in 12 months or so, just give it to Ryan now.

I don't really think there is any evidence that POM has a better track record of talking to or influencing referees than Ryan. It's something typically overblown by fans anyway IMO - you can p**s off a referee by being annoying, asking too much or being abrupt with them, but there is zero suggestion Ryan is remotely like that. With most referees if you ask them reasonably to review something they'll do so.

One final point - there are some good young players coming through at blindside who on form this year have earned a look and based on POM's age profile should get a look. All of Cian Prendergast, David McCann and Max Deegan are playing great rugby this season at blindside, and there is a lot invested in Ryan Baird.

I know there are also some good young second rows coming through in Edwin Edogbo, Joe McCarthy, Thomas Ahern and Niall Murray, but the likelihood is they're aiming for the roles Beirne and Henderson have in the squad (given the age profile of the latter two) and it's far less likely James Ryan falls out.

• Advertisement

There's a line between being challenging the referee and p*ssing them off tho. I think way more often than not POM is on the right side of that line. No, there's no suggestion Ryan is remotely the sort to p*ss off referee's, but there's maybe a small suggestion that he on occasion doesn't get close enough to that line.

Admittedly, there's more than one way to skin a cat (and Ryan is more Warburton than Sexton) but I think he could possibly get more from referees at times, however marginal.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Registered Users Posts: 38,389 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

A proper rugby fan is somebody who doesn't dislike a rugby player because they come from somewhere or don't score or assist tries. It's generally second row players who aren't seen by the guy who only watches ten or so games in a year. They don't understand the jobs of second row and back row players, especially no. 6, and how important it is for them to be experts in the dark arts.

He never said you were not a good fan. He said there's loads that don't understand the roles of most of the forwards and he's right.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,389 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

As for future Captains, the one that stands out to me is Caelan Doris.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,762 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Ryan injured his hand vs SA. He didn’t train fully the week of the Scotland game. He only went for his surgery between the Scotland game and the NZ game and was in a cast the week of the QF. I think he aggravated the injury in the Scotland game. He wasn’t available for the NZ game but was kept in camp as they believed he’d have been available for the SF weekend. He was 100% not dropped. Dowlinz has that wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,561 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Ringer for the captaincy.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,886 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

I think he aggravated the injury in the Scotland game

He must have, it would have been a wild decision to voluntarily wait til after Scotland (and I recall him being down).

Not training fully is a pretty Farrell-esque reason to be left out alright so would believe that. Anyway, who knows.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,762 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Yeah he didn’t seem bad (injury wise) initially when he came on against Scotland but took a bang and then his right (?) arm was basically useless for the remainder. Was trying to tackle with one arm etc.

But we do know he picked up the injury in the SA game initially and that he wasn’t training fully (I think the phrase was modified training) leading into the Scotland game. Between that and the extent of the injury when he took the bang against Scotland shows us he wasn’t fully right and probably shouldn’t have been risked in that game. But hindsight etc etc.

Admittedly, there's more than one way to skin a cat (and Ryan is more Warburton than Sexton) but I think he could possibly get more from referees at times, however marginal.

I dunno if there is much evidence to support that.

In general - I feel the media hype around who specifically wears the captain's armband and leads the team out is a bit overblown. For well over a decade most teams have evolved towards a leadership group model, and obviously both Ryan and O'Mahony are part of that, and likely will still be come 6 Nations time.

I do think though that it is illogical to give it to O'Mahony now, and then Ryan afterwards. The only scenario where it doesn't make sense to give it to Ryan now, is if they feel he isn't the right man for the job long term, and there is nothing to support that. He's captained Ireland relatively recently, and is the (joint) club captain now at Leinster.

A decision to give it to O'Mahony would imply a desire to give it to someone like Caelan Doris or Dan Sheehan longer term (or someone like Crowley, Casey, etc if they get established, as both have showed leadership credentials, but both are unlikely).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭Jump_In_Jack

I thought James Ryan injured one hand against South Africa, and the other hand to a worse extent against Scotland. I could have had that wrong though. I vaguely remember a comment about how unlucky he was that he was minding one injury and then got the other injury, and even speculating that if he didn’t have the first injury maybe the second injury wouldn’t have occurred. Again, I might have taken it up wrong.

• Advertisement

There's definitely been the occasional game where Ryan has been criticised for not being in the ref's ear as much as he could be (particularly after a couple of penalties for the opposition).

We obviously have no way of knowing if it would've changed the ref's decision had he been, but it certainly has been a criticism of his captaincy in the past.

On these:

I do think though that it is illogical to give it to O'Mahony now, and then Ryan afterwards. The only scenario where it doesn't make sense to give it to Ryan now, is if they feel he isn't the right man for the job long term, and there is nothing to support that. 

A decision to give it to O'Mahony would imply a desire to give it to someone like Caelan Doris or Dan Sheehan longer term

I don't think they necessarily have to be true either; I could see a scenario where Ryan is seen as the long-term option, but POM is seen as a better short-term option and to go that way.

Fwiw, I'd have no major qualms with Ryan getting the armband either.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

Advertisement