Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Post pics of your watches Part II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,111 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

Fair enough I can’t say I’ve ever found it offensive but each to their own.

at this stage it’s more of a brand identifier than anything

• Registered Users Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭Homer

With my eyesight only heading one direction I hope they bring out one like this 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 4,441 ✭✭✭Deep Thought

The narrower a man’s mind, the broader his statements.

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭Dev1234

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Girard Perregaux quartz calibre 350 from 1971(I swapped out the original circuit for a stronger one, so it says 72 on the chip. Early chips are gold ceramic, later black).

The first Swiss produced quartz with a stepping motor(the rest had used a tuning fork arrangement), using a samarium cobalt magnet with internal and protected coils in its construction and was more efficient than other's stepping motor designs. Hence they could use normal sized hands and an instant date turnover because of the torque. It also introduced the 32,768 Hz standard which became near universal as it was the best compromise between accuracy and power drain(a year between battery changes, compared to 6-8 months for the tuning fork types). It was also more robust and much easier to service, though a service was only required if a part failed as they used teflon bearings instead of jewels so never needed oiling(and were more robust).

Motorola were partners and produced the chip especially for GP. 300 transistors in the tiny part, which in the very early 70's was major space age stuff. 😮Though our world today has a 'chip' in damned near everything in our lives, back then early quartz were very likely the first time ordinary people had encountered one in their everyday lives.

These were also the first quartz wristwatches to pass the static and dynamic tests(impact/magnetism/temperature) for accuracy run over 40 days at the Neuchatel Observatory tests. These were cased watches, unlike COSC testing that is far shorter, doesn't test for impacts or magnetism and tests bare movements.

i like that it has movement, cos I'm a child. 😁

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,739 ✭✭✭micks_address

Picked up a staib mesh for my planet Ocean. Second hand. Like the look and comfort, one link short so need to sort one.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,782 ✭✭✭✭banie01

yep just been wanting to try a mesh one for a while.. they are mega comfortable.. staib seem pretty high quality.. ive only ever tried one other mesh bracelet before and that was on a friends breitling - it was a revelation how comfortable it was on wrist

• Registered Users Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭scwazrh

I like the mesh but would have to go with the oem one on that watch

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Tbh of late, one of this trio have been my goto of a morning.

There's something about a no date no nonsense hand cranker that appeals to me. A tamagotchi of sorts, with gears and springs. 😁

/aside: It seems Phoenix straps of Wales, the OG of NATO/G-10 watch straps, are closing their doors as the owner hoves into retirement. End of an era. And of course their straps have gone a bit daft in 'value' since that came out. OK, 40 quid instead of 20, but still...

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Another day another strap option for the planet ocean. Omega official rubber strap.

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭Dev1234

I've gone through a couple of different Nato and leather straps but have settled on the stainless steel for a while now.

Any other strap suggestions besides a stingray!!

Have you tried an Erika's original NATO? I had a black one with greyish stripe and it suited the speedy well. The other strap I often admire are the cognac leather ones..

The better half and I are off to a couple of days by the sea in NI. Staying in an AirBnB by the coast in Co Down, close to my uncles too so we can do a bit of family while we're up there.

With a bit of luck, there'll be a little aurora action, if not? Well there's always the seals, some walks on the beach and a bit of craic with my Uncle.

I couldn't decide what watch I wanted to wear, but knew I wanted a bra elet rather than a strap. Narrowed it down to 1 of 3, then remembered I'd have to put them on bracelets....

90 minutes later!!! For some reason tonight I was all thumbs, the U2 was straight forward enough but the Omega just wouldn't click. I couldn't get it to engage the holes in the lugs, it took for bloody ever!

Of the 3 below, all back on bracelets! It's the Omega for the weekend took me so long to beat it that I feel like it's earned it 🎂

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭fulladapipes

This is the new Speedmaster 3861. I've had a couple of the older models, and the bracelet on this is a game-changer. It definitely makes the watch wear a bit smaller than the previous, more chunky, bracelet. Even so, I spend a lot of time fiddling around wearing it on all sorts of other straps. Am thinking of getting the padded black leather Omega strap and deployant for it, but am balking at the bonkers price.

Ah lads.. all this speedie love is making we want another go at one

You know you want to.

The new bracelet makes a big difference. If you ever want to try it in person let me know.

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭IrishPlayer

Sorry only seen this message now. Not yet, just trying on one of the watches I had on the bench, an airco that uses a Sellita SW300 movement.

I'll be getting a watch come June as ,hard to believe, coming up on 2 years already! Have a choice between a selection of 3 hand models, like the airco, MB etc. Then if I'm still there, I'll get another model for my 5 year watch.

• Advertisement

Me. Earlier today:

This came in yesterday (after my post last week). I would have liked to try the grey but got a much better deal on the blue and its a lovely thing in the flesh. Tre Giorno Pam01335, 45 mm manual wind Radiomir with an aged steel case (mix between satin and brushed very nice) gradient dial and a lovely navy blue suede strap (might be my favourite strap on a watch)

Work closed early today due to potential events this afternoon, so capitalised on opportunity for cheeky lunchtime pint in McGeogh's in Phibsborough.

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭Beagslife

Make that DON 24 with Jimmy McGuinness back in the mix 🏐 😎

I admit you came to my mind as I took the pic. 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭scwazrh

That’s lovely @Cyrus .Really like the 1950 case .It makes it look like a much more refined and classy watch than my panerai that has the slab sides.Did you get a good deal online or buy local?

• Advertisement

We had a lovely couple of days up North. Co Down, around the Mournes and Carlingford really is some absolutely beautiful country. The downside, is that once you leave the A2, the roads are all basically tarmacked cow paths.

Wasn't really much down with watches other than collecting the Blancpain service case I'd had sent to the uncle's gaff a few weeks ago. So there's a photo of the case to keep on topic along with 1 of the nefarious Irish Sea Border 😉🤣

Advertisement