Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Virgin Media FTTH... Any info

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14 eskin

@Fayainz - trying to identify how VM terminate the fibre cable in the house. Can you identify from that picture or could you post a closeup of where the fibre cable is coming through the wall and what type of device / box is it first connecting to ? Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 517 ✭✭✭feelings

Wowzer. My brother has the new VM fiber and the box is much smaller than that. About the size of the SIRO box but it looks like about half the depth (doesn't stick out as much).

Could they not use the SIRO box? Or do you have both going at the same time?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,286 ✭✭✭Glaceon

They probably installed it using their own fibre rather than SIRO's. While they technically could use the SIRO box, it's more cost effective for them not to if their own network is available.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Fayainz

The fibre is just coiled inside this awfully large plastic housing, and then terminates directly into the Router sitting ontop of the white box. I’m going to put in a complaint to VM because the size is just rediculous for what it does.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Fayainz

Yup VM have their own Fibre network they do not operate on SIRO in my area. So my house was pre-wired with VM coax to the sitting room, but they don’t use those ducts they would only put it in the hall.

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭rocketspocket

Virgin Technician just told me that he doesn't think that i will be-able to get fibre terminated into the attic as you need it flush against a wall due to not being allowed to route fibre cable through the house.

I didn't fully understand but what i picked up was that the cable needs to be stripped back to the fibre glass strand before entering the premises. fire hazard he thinks. Does this make sense?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,094 ✭✭✭Daith

I think external insulation is going to be the death of me with FTTH, especially in this old house with no ducts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13 Djcon

I'm in the same boat. stuck with Virgin Coax until they decide to cut it off. I wish they cpuld come up with some non DIY workaround that wouldn't make a hames of the insulation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 517 ✭✭✭feelings

Vodafone now available over VM ftth lines. 500mb 1gb and 2gb speeds.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 49 William_Flynn

With out fibre splicing equipment (which is expensive, the cheapest being around €800 and easily go up to over €10000) you won't be able to re-terminate fibre. The best you could do would be get your own lengths of pre-terminated fibre, and a joining block.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 boconnell

Does anyone know what happened with the rollout in Clondalkin? I got a couple of leaflets late last year/early this year saying there would be engineers in the area doing upgrade work on the external cables to support fibre. Never heard anything since. I know some other areas in Tallaght that got similar leaflets earlier this summer where the work has been done and they have been able to get a ftth installation recently (via Vodafone). I'm on 500mb through coax at the moment and kind of locked into Virgin (and current pricing) as I can only get sub 100mb speeds via DSL from other providers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,343 ✭✭✭pizzahead77

I know of at least 2 estates in Clondalkin that has FTTH available - I believe you can tell if 2GB is available when you check your Eircode on their website

• Registered Users Posts: 10 boconnell

Interesting. Do you know which parts of Clondalkin? I'm in Cherrywood. Maybe we were just part of a general leaflet drop but there was no immediate plan for an upgrade on our specific road. I've checked the eircode and all providers only offer sub 100mb here (except for the current Virgin Media coax offering, of course).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,343 ✭✭✭pizzahead77

Westbourne and Kilcronan. It seems that neither VM or OpenEir have upgraded to fibre in your estate yet.

I have 2GB available on both VM and OpenEir fibre

• Registered Users Posts: 3 pshirshov

Could please anyone with VM 2Gbit connection tell me how IPv4 works there?

Is it possible to have a real IPv4 address AND working IPv6?

Or it's the same DS-Lite as on their coax and you either have proper IPv6 but no real IPv4 address or proper IPv4 but no IPv6 at all?

• Advertisement
Advertisement