Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hamas strike on Israel - Threadbans in op - mod warning in OP updated 19/10/23

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,366 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

No ok. Not going to fall for your attempted distraction. You are the one inserting yourself into the debate questioning claims about atrocities.

You were asked a simple question:

"I accept that Hamas committed atrocities?"

Do you miss the step where you were asked to condemn them also? Why are you incapable of giving a straight answer to this question?

And your response is whataboutery and deflection and paragraphs of text... anything but come out and condemn without reservation Hamas for the atrocities you accept they committed.

And yet you have never questioned similar claims about Israel, proof positive it is not done with regard to establishing some bar for evidence - so no you do not hold them to the same standard. Exactly what we would expect from a Hamas defender and supporter. And that's exactly what we get.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,425 ✭✭✭SafeSurfer

I’ll make it very simple for you so there is no confusion.

I completely, totally, unreservedly, without equivocation condemn the Hamas attacks on October 7th in which Israeli civilians were killed.

Feel free to quote this anytime.

My condemning of the atrocities committed by Hamas, deplorable as they were, does not automatically convince me that a poster has seen a video which no one else has seen, which wasn’t included in the IDF presentation of Hamas atrocities, the existence of which hasn’t been alluded to by the IDF or anyone else.

Which specific Israeli atrocities that have been alleged are you asking me to question?

Multo autem ad rem magis pertinet quallis tibi vide aris quam allis

• Registered Users Posts: 27,678 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Under international law, there was a ceasefire on October 6th, then on October 7th, Hamas were the aggressor, giving Israel the right to self-defence under international law. You cannot have a right to self-defence under international law unless you are attacked by an aggressor who is not acting under their right to self-defence. So, unless and until Israel overstep the mark e.g. keep attacking Hamas after the hostages taken on 7/10 have been released, then the answer to your question is no.

This has been explained to you multiple times.

There is no obligation on a nation such as Israel, subject to attack, and acting in self-defence, to continue supplying food, water and power to the enemy who have attacked them. There is an obligation on Hamas, the Palestinian government, to look after the welfare of their own civilians by ensuring nothing they do endangers the supply of food, water and power to their own civilian population.

Telling the civilian population to move is appropriate in war if you intend to attack military targets where they are. There is a question about the adequacy of the warnings and the effectiveness of the warnings given by Israel, but that is a matter of degree. Nothing per se about giving a warning is a war crime.

Finally, as I understand it, you are referencing the regulations pertaining to Occupying Powers, they didn't apply to Israel. Can you clarify which regulations you are relying on?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,366 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

You haven't condemned Hamas for the specific atrocity you were asked to, the atrocity you were happy to post paragraphs about discussing earlier. Strange that.

You stated earlier that you accept Hamas burned civilians, you accept that Hamas inflicted atrocities on civilians - this is all in the content of your posts from today. I haven't picked some random atrocity out of the blue.

And yet instead of just accepting and then condemning Hamas for those atrocities against Israeli civilians, instead we get post after post dodging the question, whataboutery or vague indirect responses, and now attacking the poster querying why you can't give a straight answer. Anything but just bloody condemn Hamas for atrocities against civilians. So your continued refusals to condemn Hamas for atrocities against civilians is revealing.

Case in point for those who somehow think there are no Hamas supporters on the thread, when someone is unable to bring themselves to condemn Hamas for atrocities they accept they committed, that is a Hamas supporter and defender.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,522 ✭✭✭brickster69

LOL. What about the right to self determination, do Palestinians have that right ?

“The earth is littered with the ruins of empires that believed they were eternal.”

- Camille Paglia

“The earth is littered with the ruins of empires that believed they were eternal.”

- Camille Paglia

Another group stepping up to the plate. that's a big one isn't it lads ?

- Camille Paglia

Remind us how many elections have been permitted by Hamas since they came to power?

It isn’t Israel preventing votes.

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭Ulixes

Isn't it incredible that this conflict gets so much attention when other more bloody conflicts in which more children are dying are ignored.

• Advertisement

One of the requirements to exercise the right to self-determination is that you extend that right to others. Given that the Palestinians have elected and maintained in place a regime that seeks the genocidal elimination of the Jews, the answer is that the Palestinians currently don't have the right to self-determination.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

- Camille Paglia

• Registered Users Posts: 7,581 ✭✭✭suvigirl

Telling the entire population of an area to move? Or do you mean giving a warning to civilians, before you take action, thereby giving them time to move away from the area? Not a war crime, the opposite in fact.

Turning off power, water, internet? Why do you feel Israel should have to supply these to another country? Surely Hamas and all the money they have received the past 20 years, have invested in such infrastructure in their own country? No?

And without investigation, we don't know if war crimes have been committed, and I know about war crimes, I wouldn't begin to decide whether war crimes have been committed, without knowing what actual evidence there is. The real evidence collated by investigators, not some Joe on the internet!

- Camille Paglia

The people of East Timor will be happy to hear that Indonesia are now concerned about ethnic cleansing and genocide. Okay, so that was the old Indonesian government, the new one didn't do that.

We'll have to ignore the ongoing Genocide they are committing in West Papua which, since 2018 has internally displaced up to 100,000 people. Since 1969 they have killed up to 500,000 people. The UN has reported that the Indonesian government restricts aid to displaced people.

Sound familiar? Sound like these guys should be wagging their finger at Israel? But there are no Jews in Indonesia so there's no need to international protests or racist Marxist TD's to have a hate filled bigoted rant about them.

Also a source that a ceasefire was in place on the 7th that you keep going on about ?

- Camille Paglia

I see the brutality of this conflict but I see Hamas as having started this round. I see them as sustaining this round. I see them using their own people as human shields. I see all of those things and I therefore place most of the blame for the death and suffering on them.

That doesn't excuse the callous disregard for innocent life shown by Israel. They have their religious extremists too but they aren't running things in Israel like Hamas are running things in Gaza. They don't enjoy broad support in Israel the way Hamas does in Gaza. Even during the height of the Troubles the child killers in the IRA never got support from anywhere close to a majority of Nationalists in Northern Ireland and while they were (and still are) murdering scum they weren't anywhere near as bad as Hamas.

I haven't seen anyone blaming ISIS for this conflict. I have seen people compare Hamas and ISIS because they are very similar in their moral and ethical behaviour and in their desire to see Sharia imposed on the people they rule.

I fear and loathing for bigoted extremism is not Islamophobia. I fear and loath equally all extremist religions and belief systems that seek to kill all non believers and apostates.

You put up a simple unsubstantiated claim about Palestinian rights to self-determination without any sources, I refute your claim with simple logic, and you come along and look for a source? Have a look in the mirror. Once you produce your source for the Palestinian right to self-determination, I will show you where you are wrong.

You can't can you ? Just baseless claims which have been shot down in flames multiple times this last few weeks which you never respond to.

- Camille Paglia

Yeah, I've just being saying the same thing as the EU all along, but somehow that is baseless claims.

Sorry if I am not on here 24/7 for responding to mindless arguments put forward by the bewildered, but by and large, what I have said stands over time.

Have you managed yet to call for the unconditional release of the hostages taken by Hamas on October 7th?

Any sign of that legal right to self-determination for the Palestinians? By the way, you might explain how it also works for Ulster unionists, Basque separatists, and Chechnya?

• Advertisement

Of course they have that right.

This does not extend to constantly lobbing rockets at your neighbour and provoking war. Do that, and expect a robust response.

Hamas has not allowed the people of Palestine any say in their future since they were elected. They are a terrorist organisation.

There are dozens of reference and you know it. now about that ceasefire on the 7th if you don't mind, because you have been banging on about it for weeks without any sources ?

- Camille Paglia

• Registered Users Posts: 5,801 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

As Israel has been occupying Gaza since 07, they are required by law to supply basic necessities or not hinder aid into Gaza.

Gaza has a power station but only Israel are allowed to supply fuel to it. So if they don't provide the fuel, they have to supply power.

Being an occupier has a lot of responsibilities.

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭Sir_Name

I can’t believe this question still comes up. After being answered numerous times, and frankly very easy to read up on.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,801 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

People still refute the claim that Gaza was under occupation prior to 7/10. They probably still don't believe it's been occupied now. Easy to ignore the collective punishment war crime when you don't see Gaza as being occupied. Head in the sand stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,947 ✭✭✭circadian

Because it is the whole basis of everything. " Israel has the right to defend itself " yes it does like any other state, but you only have that right if you are attacked on your own territory not someone else's. Without that narrative the whole legal case falls apart and becomes illegal.

- Camille Paglia

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭Sir_Name

Here you go…

but just so everyone is aware… it has been reaffirmed every time since 1970. Said it once and I’ll say it again, you need to preface your posts with in your opinion.

Like shooting fish in a barrel with your “opinions”. See you tomorrow!!!

In 1970, the General Assembly, reasserting previous demands for Israeli withdrawal from territories occupied in 1967, for the observance of the right of return of the refugees, and for the cessation of violations of human rights, underlined the central position of the Palestine issue in the Middle East situation, declaring that it :

"Recognizes that the people of Palestine are entitled to equal rights and self-determination, in accordance with the Charter of the United Nations:

“Declares that full respect for the inalienable rights of the people of Palestine is an indispensable element in the establishment of a just and lasting peace in the Middle East". 2/

https://www.un.org/unispal/document/auto-insert-196558/

• Registered Users Posts: 5,921 ✭✭✭Cordell

With the risk of getting into a circular argument, it's in the post that bothered you in the first place.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,947 ✭✭✭circadian

So it's just an outright problem with Islam that you have then? Enough to stereotype billions of people? Cool, ok, I see what you're saying.

Advertisement