Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTÉ admits paying Tubridy €345,000 more than declared

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,610 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Callans Kicks did a very good piece on Ryan starting work in Virgin.

• I would for a start, mr uppity can go downedy after biting the hand that fed him.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭LambshankRedemption

• Registered Users Posts: 5,999 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

Post edited by Boards.ie: Paul on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,482 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Peadar if you do t mind me saying you have a very poor grasp of what is causing folk here to be riled up about Tubridy.

Of course he didn’t kill anyone, but he epitomised rightly or wrongly,a coterie of people in an organisation who were free and easy and if I may say so ’in peoples faces’ with their use of taxpayers money.Flaunting it in our faces with minor

players in the organisation rolling around in swish cars provided at no cost by people who hoped gain something for the connection . This was money which could be spent more usefully in other areas. We then had people who mismanaged the accounts And still had the temerity to put out their hand looking for more taxpayers money.

the outrageous wedges paid to Tubridy and his cohorts was also an issue which seriously annoyed people

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

I've read the ST interview. That man talks the greatest load of s$ite imaginable. Every word from his mouth is bogus.

I agree with others..no self awareness even by middle age. Untruthful. Arrogant.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭tom23

He has been walking around his whole life in bubble wrap. Minded and cajoled and told constantly of his greatness. If one was wrapped up like that one would believed ones own narcissism. The man personifies a lot of what is wrong with this country. RTE certainly does as-well and he was the pinnacle / face of it.

Hopefully he never comes back and just fades into been yer man that used to be on telly. Good luck to him in Virgin… just do a decent job and don’t get sacked because i just don’t want to see him back on taxpayers dollar.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,138 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

"Tax Payers" money is a fraction of what RTE received.

It's license fee payers money and money they earn commercially in the main.

About 200 million from the licence and 150 million from commercial.

RTE never really had a problem earning money, it's how they waste it is the main issue.

Successive governments kicked the can down the road on reform, so the culture and the rot that set it is firmly successive governments fault by and large.

Even now the promised reforms look completely cosmetic.

The reality is our governance don't see RTE as a big issue and are happy enough to let it plod along.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭PeadarCo

Ah look I completely agree the guy was overpaid and the majority if not all of RTEs presenters. It's been obvious since at least when Pat Kenny left that it was the time slot not the presenter that had the audience by and large. RT salary is not news. It's actually worse, historically he was paid even more in absolute terms(before you even factor inflation). Where was all this bile back then?

I never listened to him and don't plan on listening to him. He's not my cup of tea. But here's the thing he's not part of RTE management. RT is not RTE.

The guy went out and got the best deal possible. Far play to him that's what the vast vast majority of us do when getting a job. The only difference is the amounts involved.

It's RTE management that agreed to pay him and a whole host of other presenters amounts the vast majority of people knew/know that they were not worth it. RT had already taken a pay cut as there was pressure on to reduce salaries of high earners at the company. That fact that they covered up RT salary in this environment was a massive error. Because RT never called out this cover up he lost his job and we see the abuse some people feel entitled to spew.

There's the thing could sort of understand the abuse here(it's boards not Twitter) if it was targeted at RTE management but it's not. Even worse we have people taken the RTE line that RT should really cover up RTEs mistake by paying back the 150k and are now accusing him of stealing it(yes there are actually posts in this thread to this effect). This just let's RTE off the hook and ensures it will happen again in future while everyone is obsessed about a former presenter.

RT is gone from RTE. If he returns to RTE the company will be very different. How posting hate about the guy helps RTE to be more accountable and public broadcasting in general is beyond me. It says more about the posters in question than RT and worse let's RTE off the hook.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭jmcc

Might be considered bad form over there.

Regards...jmcc

Post edited by Boards.ie: Paul on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭Sunny Disposition

There’s no question some people just don’t like Ryan and don’t want to recognise his considerable talent and work ethic which saw him make a lot of money.

The fact a major UK network has taken him on just a few months after a disastrous end to his RTE career is incontrovertible proof of his worth, but some people still argue otherwise.

Bregudgery is still hindering Ireland.

Journalists need an "in" and the 150K is a great starting point. It pissed off a lot of Irish people and led to Tubridy losing his job in RTE despite the negotiation to bring him back. Apparently, a condition of the rehiring was that Tubridy would pay back the 150K to RTE and would, effectively, be working for 20K for the first year of his new contract. However, that all went pear-shaped when the leaks appeared. Again, in journalistic terms, the 150K is a nice and memorable figure for an article and people already associate Tubridy with the 150K. As for his job with the Murdoch-owned Virgin Radio, a DAB/online station with an approximate 3% reach in the UK market, there's another part to that. His programme on Virgin Radio will be syndicated on Q102. That may lead to Irish jobs being lost and is another good angle for Irish journalists.

You are not a Tubridy defender. It seems that you just aren't in possession of some of the facts.

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/kevin-bakhurst-moral-case-for-ryan-tubridy-to-pay-back-150000-but-he-doesnt-have-a-source-of-income-after-rte-return-fell-through/a849807256.html

https://www.thesun.ie/tv/11017748/ryan-tubridy-pay-scandal-enormous-salary-verdict/

Regards...jmcc

• Registered Users Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭RoTelly

I agree and disagree, I think it works both ways. RTÉ's whole attitude has been we are deserving of this money, it was never we will consider how to use it better to have the audience on side. RTÉ had as much chance to reform internally as successive governments had to reform externally. The minister moved the in 2021 moving the NSO to the NCH, RTÉ were bother waited until 2022. Then when they did have a saving of 8m they blew it all way. IMO the minister should be fuming with RTÉ, rather she simply says pay them the money. They are laughing in her face.

______

Just one more thing .... when did they return that car

Yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭RoTelly

I have always largely targeted my anger at the Executive board and the board of RTÉ. They make the decision, but as you as RT made the mistake of not ensuring the right figure were announced. His agent should never have agreed to the 2nd contract the way it was outlined, if RT knew about the methods of transactions he should have said something there also. But RTÉ's management is a joke. Imagine that Dee Forbes spent her time worrying how it would look if she overpaid her "Talent".

______

Just one more thing .... when did they return that car

Yesterday

Major UK Network? Really? Virgin radio has a 1% share of the UK Market you do realise that don’t you?

And In Irish population terms that’s the equivalent of having less than 90.000 regular listeners to an Irish show - not really something to break out the champagne just yet

your the greatest wind up merchant on this thread. If I get a ban for making this statement so be it. The man was a nepo baby. Was mediocre. Was pampered and indulged. He was no Pat Kenny. No Gay Byrne and as much as I hate to say it no Gerry Ryan. He was as bland as cauliflower. You can peddle the NKM copy they send you over to post here. But all that is makey up stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭PeadarCo

That doesn't refute anything I said. Tubridy was legally paid 150k. There was no way for RTE to get this money back and once the contract was signed and the relevant amounts paid over. At best they can make it conditional any future job for RT. RT doesn't have to work for RTE and realistically it'll be years before he works at RTE again anyway.

Imagine though if RTE did employ him again/,kept him on, on effectively 20k a year, what ever about RT, that's absolute humiliation for the previous RTE management team who felt pressured into paying him many multiples of that and covering it up.

Backhurts point about RT being morally obligated to pay back the 150k is a cop out on his behalf and it's disappointing he on behalf of RTE hasn't taken ownership of this mistake. It's not a good sign.

RTE management should have known/knew what would happen if Renault pulled out. It was obvious that they were legally obligated to pay the 150k. Again this was all done in an environment where there was already a huge focus on salaries at RTE. That's not RT fault but it highlights the culture at RTE when the decision was made.

As for RT work on Q102 and other radio stations so what? He hasn't committed any criminal offences it's not illegal for him to get another job. I'm sure radio presenters are quite used to competition, that's how the existing presenters got their job ie. replacing other people. Anyway if he is as bad as everyone here says he is, other Irish presenters have nothing to worry about as he'll be unemployed again soon enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,279 ✭✭✭archfi

I've read elsewhere an opinion that Wireless are looking toward offloading their loss making Irish regional stations and see Tubridy on circa <>100k for a year or so as hopefully upping the sale price of them in this market, hence being syndicated to Q102 and a few weekend hours on three of their other stations here.

The issue is never the issue; the issue is always the revolution.

The Entryism process: 1) Demand access; 2) Demand accommodation; 3) Demand a seat at the table; 4) Demand to run the table; 5) Demand to run the institution; 6) Run the institution to produce more activists and policy until they run it into the ground.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭alzer100

Just on Ryan Tubridy's simulcast show on Q102, as Jmcc has previously stated that show or slot will be just filler. Presently the mid morning slot is covered by Andy Preston (according to their website schedule), a five hour slot from 10am to 3pm with Liam Coburn presenting the afternoon drive slot from 3pm to 7pm. I am not aware of anyone at Q102 losing their job because of the Virgin link up but I am open to correction on this. I would think to balance their presenter line up they will just simply move Andy Preston to 1pm to 4pm and cut Liam Coburn's slot to 3 hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

That 150 grand is never coming back. If I'm proved wrong I'll be the first to admit it but RT doesn't strike me as a person who feels it needs repaying.

On the contrary he strikes me as a man who feels hard done by and will now spin it around to how undervalued he was in rte/Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭Loblox

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭LambshankRedemption

No!!!! I will not have that. That is a ridiculous thing to say!

Cauliflower is lovely and can be made into delicious interesting dishes.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,827 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

RT stated to the PAC he would pay the 150k back. He did so because he knew it was the right thing to do.

Now he's not paying it back. It's licence payers money.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭Karppi

would it make you pay back 150k?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,199 ✭✭✭artvanderlay

Tubs is a horrible, disingenous, arrogant person but what's more unforgivable is that he is rubbish at his job. He has no charm, no real intelligence (beyond lining his own pockets and that seems to be his agent's achievement), and he's the least suited person I've ever seen presenting radio and TV shows. He is actually repulsive as a presenter and DJ. He could only succeed in a nepotistic shithole like Dublin 4 and RTE, where all the mediocre and the family members come to get paid. He is not in the big time now in London, he's a glorified student radio DJ, and he's a complete nobody over there. But this is where he should always have been, on a crappy show at a crappy time, spinning discs and nobody knows his name. That's his level. But because his granddaddy founded RTE, he's given lucrative opportunities here that he is in no way suitable for. I hope it all blows up in his smug face and you better **** believe that it is begrudgery on my part. I hope he gets a good happy slapping in London :)

That makes a lot of commercial sense. Using Tubridy to replace the current presenters would make it appear to be just business as usual. In reality, it would be a cost saving exercise using Tubridy on Virgin Radio and on Q102. Q102 might even poach a few of the Tubridy fans from RTE and make the station more attractive to a purchaser. The Murdochs got a well known Irish (ex-RTE) name at a non-RTE price.

Regards...jmcc

Post edited by jmcc on

• Advertisement

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement