Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Time for a zero refugee policy? - *Read OP for mod warnings and threadbans - updated 11/5/24*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 838 ✭✭✭Gussie Scrotch

I'm not so sure about the security of these MNCs insofar as Ireland hosting the "nameplate" goes.

Its takes just one decision to relocate the company for tax purposes. And if a better option, tax wise, emerges, then that tax take is jeopardised.

The danger for Ireland is the temptation to build a cost base that is dependent on Apple, Google etc tax revenue, only to be hit with a sudden loss.

We could find the tide has gone out behind us..............

• Registered Users Posts: 891 ✭✭✭JPCN1

All talk as usual from him... expect nothing to be done.

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭Photobox

He is only saying this because we will have an election next year, you couldn't say that a few months back, now its grand because he is saying it. Its infuriating. All talk too.

• Registered Users Posts: 891 ✭✭✭JPCN1

If you said it a few months back you were ‘far right’ or racist.

His backbenchers (the few who are running again) are obviously getting onto him, hence the noise.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭BlueSkyDreams

We should develop around the MNC network, sure. But we can do both.

Remember that 80% of the CT is generared by MNCs.

There is no industry that can replace that in the short term, if at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,825 ✭✭✭RobbieTheRobber

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭lmimmfn

• Registered Users Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭rgossip30

The GDP will likely be lower from reduced multi national tax which has happened in last few months .The Irish stock market has also reacted with a decline .A government that will opt in to this resettlement of asylum seekers cannot see beyond their nose.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭malinheader

Be plenty of money from Brussels promised I'm thinking. When it comes to doing the EUs bidding this Government are the poster boys.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭tom23

I must've those funny glasses on swell... as I walk down O'Connell Street I have to check where I actually am.

• Advertisement

It's an absolute shitehole. After Moore Street its the worse street of O'Connell Street.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,383 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

I don't understand why some people think the EU are forcing us to take so many UKR refugees?

AFAIK, it is all our own choice.

The same goes for the really slow asylum process. AFAIK, that is all our own choice.

Exactly... in the rush for kudos of the EU, Irish government put figures and quotas on how many they were going to take. Instead of seeing what they could actually take without running themselves into a corner. They done good work for the first odd 50k... now I can't see how its sustainable long term.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭TokTik

100% our choice, but if we don’t, those choices will have consequences. Like it was our choice to bail out the Unsecured EU bond holders. And 100% our choice to revote on Nice and Lisbon.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,100 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

I don't drive in Dublin city. Live on a cycle /bus corridor so you and the other guy exaggerating for effect are just wrong. Have cycled and taken the bus to work in Dublin city all my life so know more about it than those thanking your posts.

Ah bless.

The concentration of refugees in the city is because of the concentration of accomodation in those areas. Also many have to go into the city to collect benefits and attend IPO.

There has always been a large concentration of various people collecting benefits etc in town and others mainly Irish participating in criminal activities and drug taking. Well documented.

People here only noticing that now? And of course as this thread is so adept at, blaming it all on our foreign guests!

I suggest all the snowflakes worrying about themselves on their once or twice a year visit to the Big City cocoon themselves in Kildare Village or Dundrum or the like outside the city and they won't have to look at ordinary daily life around them in all its messiness.

If you have spent your life working in the city centre as I have, and travelling in and out on public transport / cycling/walking, you will know that Dublin is a far, far better place to live and work than it was even 10 or 20 years ago.

Still a long way to go but not being painted correctly here.

Its just a nonsense to claim that the population of Dublin is predominantly non Irish which if you had read anything was the silly remark I was originally replying to.

Talbot St has always been a melting pot and a little more on the edge than other streets.

Saying it is worse now is...

More hyperbole.

• Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭Gussoe

Whats the problem with "There are activists from UK working very hard to rile people up against migrants in Ireland"?

Seems a bit anti-British. We do after all, have a CTA between the 2 islands and pretty much zero checks between here an NI. This means that the refugees we let in, become a security concern for the UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,546 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

"Rush for kudos from the EU" is completely overstating things - they genuinely wanted to do the right thing by Ukraine (and an SF government would have done the same thing). Look at the current support for the Palestinians from all parties, that's pretty much coming from the same place and is actually going against the mainstream EU position.

• Advertisement

I’ve never known a FF government to the right thing that wasn’t something in for themselves. We all wanted to help, but my point is saying that they could take in up 200k was ludicrous regardless of their intention.

They have a much stronger far right over there for many years. National Front being one.

We have had these types trying to influence our politics here for many decades now.

Their interest in keeping British White is not the same as our interests. Nor is it Anti British to have an issue with that sort of 'politics' if you can call it that .

There would be a lot of British people who have problems with it too. As evidenced by these activists being outlawed and some of those grouos being proscribed.

The fact that you misconstrue or don't understand that does not surprise me. As I said it is evident from some of the bile being spewed here that there are some people in sympathy with those characters posting here.

Also bit of a red herring there as we have people travelling in the opposite direction just as much if not moreso from the UK so that should be do we have security issues from the CTA with the UK?

Don:t think anybody (with any sense) would want to get rid of the freedom of travel between UK and Ireland now.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,638 ✭✭✭Floppybits

Is it? have you been on the street? It is worse than it ever was, its more run down. Go and have a walk down it and see the state of the street and derelict buildings on it and just how run down and filthy it is. Yes it was always gritty but it never looked or felt as bad as it does now.

As usual you are looking to dismiss people accusing them of Hyperbole.

• Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭Gussoe

Have to say, i haven't seen any National Front types here in Ireland. But it is rather stereotyping and hyperbolic of you to try and brush all anti-refugee sentiment as "far right".

No definitely not my choice, so how can you say it's our choice.

I'm totally disgusted the way the whole immigration process is being done or should I say not being done. And in my opinion we had taken enough a good while back.

Definitely not my choice and plenty of others too.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭conorhal

Yeah, it must be 'British activists', American internet nazis and shady local right-wing opportunists (so popular and persuasive that they can't even score a single county counsel seat in the entire country) who must be responsible!

It certainly can't be people looking around with their own two eyes, at the obvious and inevitable consequences that mass immigration and a broken asylum system has wrought on the infrastructure, social cohesion and culture of their cities and small towns and deciding, 'feck this!'.

No, you're right, it must be the foreign activists! If we can just censor them and push through 'hate speech legislation' to stop people questioning the value of multiculturalism or even discussing it, then surely everything will be utopian!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,825 ✭✭✭RobbieTheRobber

Why don't you highlight some of the venom and bile you have seen from posts here every day. I'm sure the moderaters would be interested in seeing these statements.

Or maybe your just being a bit over the top and it suits your narrative to label anyone who has an issue with immigration as a right wing hate speaker.

What do you class as bile and venom 🤔

• Registered Users Posts: 7,638 ✭✭✭Floppybits

Here's the thing though the vast majority do not have a problem with immigration and would welcome it but the problem we have is what is perceived by the vast majority of a free for all for anyone with no checks or restrictions. All people want is a measured approach with controls at the borders. Is that too much to ask?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,199 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

Haven’t seen any bile myself but plenty of posts suggesting people who query if we have enough resources to take in unlimited refugees as racists

Advertisement