Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Can a bad alternator drain the battery when the car is shut off?

• 19-11-2023 8:48am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,708 ✭✭✭✭

Trying to diagnose why my 2011 Auris's battery goes dead overnight when the car is turned off. Everything electric-related is turned off, lights, radio, doors shut, dome light, etc. If the battery is attached, it's dead in the a.m. It's a fairly new battery (September.)

Dealer's mechanic claiming I need a new alternator. I can't see why the battery, when charged after hours of driving, would drain and I expect if I replace the alternator, nothing will improve.

Dealer had the car overnight, and it was not dead the following a.m., but the battery was well charged as its a 1.5 hour drive to the dealer.

My gut tells me it must be something else, but no way to diagnose it. Suggestions as to how to direct the dealer's investigation?

FWIW, since the car sat at the dealer overnight and wasn't dead, it obviously can't be the alternator since it's still the original alternator.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,486 ✭✭✭XsApollo

why do you think the battery is fully charged after driving?

Your battery won’t be charged after driving if the alternator is faulty,

that’s probably what the dealer is trying to tell you, that the alternator is not charging the battery.

take the car to an auto electrician, surely they can check if the alternator is working correctly or not, or probably the mechanic has already checked what the alternator is doing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,412 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

Might not be charged. Might be getting an intermittent charge when driving which is just enough to start it once or twice but not after overnight. At least sometimes.

I've had this with a failing alternator. But also had it with a cracked battery connector clamp. In both case an intermittent fault was hard to diagnose as often was all tested fine on a static car.

But you'll know if they test the battery in the morning. If the dealers not giving you enough information get a 2nd opinion by getting it checked with an auto electrician. Dealers are very quick to throw parts at a problem at your expense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,465 ✭✭✭vandriver

I've just had an alternator replaced on my Caddy taxi for exactly the symptoms you describe.It *might* start in the morning if I'd driven it the night before,but Saturday night to Monday morning,no chance.

New alternator,new battery.....new car!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,406 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Even if charging perfectly when driving, a fault in the alternator can absolutely discharge the battery when turned off.

A faulty rectifier in the alternator can cause non start after a very short period sitting.

Leaving ignition switched on will drain battery quickly. Alternator fault can produce the same result.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,708 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Thanks to everyone for their replies. Much appreciated. I will see if I can find an auto electrician for testing.

• Advertisement

You appear to refuse to acknowledge that it can be the alternator at fault as diagnosed by main dealer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,816 ✭✭✭Buffman

It's the alternator that charges the battery, not the engine. If your battery is new then it 100% sounds like an alternator issue. If I was you I'd hope it's the alternator as it's an 'easy' fix, otherwise it means you've a parasitic drain somewhere and they can be a nightmare to sort out.

I don't see why you think 'it obviously can't be the alternator since it's still the original alternator'. That makes it far more likely that your 12 year old alternator has an issue. Brushes and other parts do wear with use.

Also, going to a dealer with a 12 year old car isn't the most economical way to get it sorted, a local independent will sort you out for less. A rebuilt alternator with exchange of your old one would be cheaper than new also.

It's very simple to test yourself with a Voltmeter.

FYI, if you move to a 'smart' meter electricity plan, you CAN'T move back to a non-smart plan.

You don't have to take a 'smart' meter if you don't want one, opt-out is available.

Buy drinks in 3L or bigger plastic bottles or glass bottles to avoid the DRS fee.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,612 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Doesn't diagnose your problem, but a lot of people with older tractors and plant fit dead switches which are turned off each night, to prevent any stray drain, which can often crop up in older machinery.

People not trusting dealers is a rod they've made for their own back.

Though equally bringing an old car to main dealer is an odd thing to be doing.

I've just been shopping for a car and the lack of basic knowledge about their own cars by the sales staff was truly impressive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,141 ✭✭✭RiderOnTheStorm

Im surprised no one has mentioned that the battery itself might be at fault. If the alternator is ok, and the battery is bad, then the charge going in during a run will not be stored properly (damaged cells?). But back to prev posters .... you need to get it (battery & alt) checked. On a 2011 car, a new battery is more likely than a new alternator imho.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,279 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

They'd be a light on the dash if the alternator was not charging Shirley ? I'd say it's a battery you need, if there is no light. Normal to replace a battery, try that first, if the problem is still there then take it from there, but battery is first step, anyone selling a battery will fit for free.

No light when I had alternator problems. They were older cars, so perhaps didn't have the checks modern cars do..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 726 ✭✭✭JIdontknow

What's the voltage across battery terminals when the car is just switched off after running, and what's it in the morning before you try start it (This will tell if there is a leak or the battery is potentially faulty) ? And also as you start it what does the battery voltage drop to? I had a problem before where sometimes my car would start and other times nothing, was random too like it might start after 12 hours but mightn't start after a few or vica versa. Turned out to be a cell in the battery (The battery was 8-10 years old in my case) when I checked the voltages.

It's a problem when the car is switched off.

Alternator can be charging fine but have an internal fault that can drain the battery when you turn off the car.

It could be other things of course but it's a reasonably common fault.

Some of the opels were known for this type of fault.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,474 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Don't assume just because it's a new battery that it's 100% OK. We had a new battery fitted in my wife's car at a main dealer a few years ago, and it was completely dead within a week. They replaced it with a new one, and the problem was solved.

Car got battery replaced in September and .no problems until 10 days ago.

Lads, don't forget a mechanic has actually inspected this car and said it's the alternator and there is absolutely no reason given to think it isn't.

Apart from your 'gut feeling', is there any particular reason you think the mechanic is lying to you? An alternator has a finite lifespan before a rebuild is required and you've done well to get 12 years out of the original. An alternator might not go bang and die enough to trigger the dash warning light, they can die slowly over time and eventually reduce their supply voltage to a level that can no longer sustain all the cars requirements.

The mechanics OBD scan would have told him exactly what the issues are.

FYI, if you move to a 'smart' meter electricity plan, you CAN'T move back to a non-smart plan.

You don't have to take a 'smart' meter if you don't want one, opt-out is available.

Buy drinks in 3L or bigger plastic bottles or glass bottles to avoid the DRS fee.

Picked up the car today, the dealer's mechanic said he couldn't say that the alternator was causing the draining problem. They'd not done anything other than measure the battery voltage. I took the car to another mechanic who had worked on the car previously but wasn't available when I was trying to get the car looked at last week. He'll fit it in, knows exactly what to do and test for.

My 'gut feeling' was because I charged the car for a few hours on a trickle charger when it was dead, measured the charge (9.6V) and let the car sit overnight. Next a.m. the charge was, I think, around 7V, at which point I scrambled to find someone to look at it, came up with the dealer, got the car jumped and drove it in. It never failed to start for the dealer even sitting on his lot for the weekend, nor did they provide any information beyond that the alternator wasn't charging the battery 'fully,' that the car needs new spark plugs (something I hadn't asked them to look at but they said its because 'the alternator and spark plugs are part of one system'), and oh it was hard starting do you have compression problems, where the car has started reliably for the 8 years I've owned it, except recently when the battery died.

Based on the feedback here, and what I could dig up, the alternator could indeed be the problem, but I certainly wasn't comfortable leaving it with the dealer's mechanic, who was very unhappy that I was coming simply to pick up the car and not signing up for his alternator job (at 750+ euros)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,635 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Jesus, this is usually a fairly open and shut case. Straightforward job for any mechanic to troubleshoot this with a multimeter one would think.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,978 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

A car battery that has been allowed to discharge to 7V is about as much use as a chocolate teapot. It will work for a bit but will never be any good ever again.

Wake me up when it's all over.

I expect the new mechanic will test it and, if necessary, we'll replace it. I agree, if a new one is needed, so be it. What was interesting in both cases is that the car was turned off. Oh, when the battery is charged but disconnected from the car, it holds the full charge no problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,978 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

At the very least discharging to that level (7V) will reduce the life of the battery.

Wake me up when it's all over.

Thanks for this information. This thread's been great for finding out what the car's problem might be, thanks to all the contributors. PM me if you want to know the problem dealer 😉

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 349 ✭✭JP 1800

It is very straight forward to check a vehicles electrical charging system, not much has changed since the late 60s when alternators were replacing dynamos. The checking of a vehicles charging system is a basic component in the vehicle maintenance training module. To check the battery: with all electical systems off, check voltage, a voltage of 12.4-12.6V should be present, 12.6V indicates fully charged battery, 12.4 is 75% charge and 12.2 is 50% charged. A voltage of 12V indicated battery is very low on charge. If low; charge battery with charger and check again. To check health and capacity of the battery, remove fuel pump fuse and check battery whilst cranking engine for 5 - 10 seconds. Voltage should not drop below 9.6V, if it does battery is deffective or soon to be deffective. To check alternator, start and run the engine, check voltage on battery which should show 14.2 -14.4V, this would indicate alternator is charging battery, next turn on headflights, heater, blower etc to load the system, the voltage should drop and then rebound to 14.4V. If not the altermator is showing signs of braking down and unable to maintain a charge. Obviuosly check connections and belts for tension before replacing the alternator. This is very basic stuff that any competent technician should know. To check for paracitic draw, one has to systematically check for a current draw on each system and eliminate by pulling fuses. When a current draw drops with the removal of a fuse, that indicated the circuit at fault. Again basic stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 349 ✭✭JP 1800

Also to add to other posters comments if a battery dropped to 7V the damage has been done to the battery. It may be savable by de-sulphanation cycle on a charger but they are never at full capacity afterwards and it is best to replace as it will let you down on a cold morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭PukkaStukka

I had the alternator in my sister's Fiesta drain the battery overnight. After eliminating everything else, I disconnected the thick red cable from the alternator to isolate it. The next day, the car started fine and battery volts were perfect. Once replaced, the issue never reoccurred

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 777 ✭✭✭mk7r

In the last ten - fifteen years car have tended more towards smart charge system so the alternator can produce between 12v and 17v depending on load, state of charge of battery etc so it's a little more complicated than that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,574 ✭✭✭jmreire

Obviously, its leaking current even when everything is switched off, so that should show on a meter. One thing you could do is after a long drive, and with the battery fully charged, disconnect the positive cable from the battery at night. Reconnect the next morning and see how it behaves. If it bursts into life, that rules out the battery. If it doesn't, then it's the battery.

Post edited by jmreire on

• Advertisement

Ye, as I said above, a dealer would not be the most economical way to get it sorted and the €750 quote shows that.

As mentioned by JP, a good battery should be sitting around 12.5V so when you measured it at 9.6V it was still way down. I'd guess the dealers charged it fully and that may be why it didn't die while with them.

Hopefully you get sorted with your usual guy.

Advertisement