Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

TGL - Any interest?

• 16-11-2023 12:43pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,377 ✭✭✭✭

Not sure if the lack of a thread about this is an indication of apathy surrounding it, but it seems to be a significant development in the game of golf.

Basically a simulator league where top pros will play in teams. Not sure if it's affiliated with the PGA Tour but they seem to be backing it.

I think it would fall into the 'slightly interested but not really excited by it' category for me.

Rory's resignation from the board of the PGA Tour seemed to go without too much attention as well, not surprising that he stepped down tbh.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,651 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

Times may not work for most people here I guess. Think its scheduled to be on around US prime times, so could be looking at 1-2am here.

I wasn't actually interested until I read a potentially good take on it. Basically, how you don't get to ever really hear about golfers thinking in terms of strategy for a shot and that this could, given they're mic'd be an interesting insight. Or hearing Tiger describe the strategy someone would use. Can't see a big draw outside of people who play golf

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 202 ✭✭Sorbet

I’m hoping it will be good but not convinced it will be. Certainly looking forward to seeing a little more personality from the players. Has anyone heard if it will be available on TV this side of the Atlantic?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,377 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

No European broadcaster announced yet AFAIK. You would have to imagine Sky will pick it up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,836 ✭✭✭Trampas

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭coillcam

Timing is crap, the same reason I don't watch many US sports. I'm on the fence until I see the end product but I'm not massively excited tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,569 ✭✭✭Bobson Dugnutt

I might give it a watch if it isn’t filled with whopping, hollering, high fives and “sports betting”.

Being young is a great advantage, since we see the world from a new perspective and we are not afraid to make radical changes - Greta Thunburg

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,245 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Poor poor response to LIV team which in itself is a non-runner outside US as US college golf is very team centric.

I want to see single golf on a real course not any other sh1te

I think it's sufficiently different of a response to have some chance. Sim golf is huge is Asia and growing worldwide, so there's some genuine "growing the game" angle there imo. At the same time, mildly interested would be about as far as I could go.

The same can't be said for The Netflix Cup. I struggled through 15 mins of it last night. Probably the worst bit of sport/entertainment/not sure what to call it that I've watched. It's like they looked at the worst parts of LIV and amplified it.

This is just a small sample.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 506 ✭✭✭swededmonkey

I couldn't even finish that youtube clip. Based on that, its a no from me!

The carry on that went on before them sprinting to the hole was even worse, but I didn't want to spoil the fun.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,973 ✭✭✭RoadRunner

Sim golf is going to make up a large part of the future of golf. TGL is a good move for that, it will help technology to improve filter down in price by bringing it mainstream.

Right now, you can play sawgrass in two ways, you afford the $900 greenfee plus compulsory caddy, can tolerate the waiting lists etc, can afford flights & accom, and get the time off work for a week, serious jetlag, and sketchy weather. Or you play it on a simulator where it's always in good condition. You won't be subjected to the 6 hours round which are commonplace there too. My least favourite parts of golf, such as looking for balls in rough as my shoes get soaked are nicely removed from simulators too. Also you can play at night. Frost? Ha. Dress codes, snobbery.. that bullshit all ends. Golf is jumping significantly in price as we are all aware of.

The better simulators get, the better the experience is going to be. Golf courses within the m50 are frowned on increasingly as a waste of land that is not being farmed, lived on, available to the public to enjoy for recreation purposes, or productive in any meaningful way as it is only benefitting a tiny number of people each day.

Some will shun sims and say there's no experience like feeling the wind in your face, or the sounds of the sea... yes I agree, but bear in mind that <snip>*edited to remove crazy tangent*</snip>

Anyway, with that crazy tangent out of the way, one of the most endearing aspects of golf for everyone is the social side. In my (very) limited experience of sim golf, the craic is actually even better, when everyone is around and part of the game together, with a perfect view of the action. In the news today I noticed that the facilities constructed didn't handle a patch of bad weather this week and damaged the roof of the facility, so possibly a bad omen early days for TGL, but I'll still be interested to see how these first TGL sessions go.

Post edited by RoadRunner on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,438 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

I truly have no idea how I was allowed to be the golf society captain for a year 🤣

I haven’t been as confused since watching the Netflix Cup last night.

I think he said that TGL is going to be cancelled due to bad weather and that we're already living in a world where anything within 6 foot is a gimme.

😬😑

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭gypsy79

i have heard the software is super glitchy which is obviously not gonna be good if true

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,164 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,532 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Till 2025 seems odd, assume won't go ahead now

Who’s money going up in smoke

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭gypsy79

Why does 2025 sound odd...it was clearly supposed be after NFL regular season and before majors so there is no spot till 2025 as clearly not going to be ready for 2024

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,532 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Once Eldrick is involved is enough to keep people interested. Watch the viewing figures when he’s playing compared to not

Eldrick gets 12 million from the pip fund and Rory wins it this year for 15

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 709 ✭✭✭ClutchIt

No

Advertisement