Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Heavyweight Boxing

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 38,381 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

I know how high a cup belt goes and it's below the top of your underwear. I wore them many times.

Although I've heard they have underwear as part of them these days so they'd be the height of your underwear.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭newhouse87

Cup belts are not universally worn at same height by fighters so you cant factually say where it was and you know it, you can hazard a guess but thats all.

Well there's no way it's anywhere near his belly button and that's a fact.

And it'd make no sense to have it anywhere but just above the hip. It'd only drop if you had it higher.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,841 ✭✭✭squinn2912

Poor oul Liston, I often feel very sorry for him. Great jab and super power. At 6’1 wouldn’t be a big HW now or anything like it but P4P he’d be trouble in any era. I remember reading a book on Ali, written when Tyson was in his prime and the author remarked that Liston would beat Tyson. I’m not sure he would but that’s one I wouldn’t have minded to see. Ali got him a good time but when you consider that the experts feared for Ali’s life he really did shake up the world!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55,633 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Of all the HW champions throughout history, Liston is the most rated/revered for a champion that fought very little (as champion and number title fights). Not sure why he garnered such reverence/awe

Tyson said Sonny Liston & Jack Dempsey were the two he looked up to.

I remember myself and the lads had a 'robust' debate in the pub one evening about who'd win between Liston and Tyson.

I sided with Liston as he would have a footlong reach advantage over Tyson which is huuuuge, especially using his, as you say, great jab.

It's a fight I certainly wouldn't be streaming on the laptop haha.

Liston was before my time but people I know who were big boxing fans, guys who bought the Ring Magazine and attended lots of professional fights all said Liston was one of the greatest.

A lot of them had Ali as the greatest and either Liston or Joe Louis as no.2.

Floyd Patterson was another they all rated highly. Liston knocked him out twice in the first round.

Prime 80s Tyson with his speed, power, combinations and bob n weave steamrolls Liston early. Liston’s jab will be a non-factor. Tyson gets to his chin very easy, and no way Liston takes it. Tyson had a rock solid chin.

I think Liston wins 7 fights out of 10.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

Smokin' Joe vs Tyson would be my match up.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

Frazier. Be some fight though.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,785 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Television.

The first cable TV PPV showing of a fight (Cost $2!) was Patterson vs Johannson in 1960. 25,000 people watched that and then 600,000 people watched Liston vs Patterson. Huge explosion of televised boxing just as Liston, err, hit.

Also the size of TVs increased during those few years from 10 or 12 inches to 21 inches meaning bars could now show fights.

It was always shown on TV because it was cheap to do so, but the explosion of TV ownership in the mid to late 50s meant more people saw him destroy Floyd twice.

Tyson would've destroyed Liston btw. The sport moved on so much post Ali never mind into the 80s.

Yes. Spot on. Plus, he was the first real mean/sullen/nasty champion. He was just unlikable for the public. This adds to the awe

Yea Tyson would likely hammer Liston. By the 80s these guys were celebs and proper pros with much better training, physio and medical treatment. Just like today has advanced even more.

Liston vs Jack Johnson would be a good watch

Today has advanced more from when? For me today is weaker in plenty divisions

Take WW/JMW/MW/SMW, for example....I'd take the best from the 80s/90s than those today

JLW, Josh fooking Taylor got undisputed....in the 1980s and 1990s, he'd be a nobody..

1980s HWs and 1990s HWs far better depth than today. Usyk isn't lasting two rds with prime Tyson or Lewis or Bowe; Holmes beats him silly as well. Holyfield at HW too much for him. Big George too strong...

AJ gets walloped against plenty. Wilder, barring his power is not near the talent and skills level of many 1980s and 1990s HWs

I mean it’s advanced in terms of training, physios, medical treatment. That’s across all sport. Even footwear not sure if that’s changed in boxing but look at the super shoes in marathon running.

I think boxing has lost a lot of stars due to the accessibility of other sports. Many top end boxers esp at HW were failed in some other sport.

not sure Usyk couldn’t mix it with them all, well never know. It’s like saying Ali would beat them all. He may be the greatest but every chance Tyson or Lewis would rip him apart

I see Holyfield picking Usyk. Similar reasoning to myself. Too busy and too moving. Fury won’t keep up with him

Yes. Get you. I think boxing has definitely improved through the decades. But I think it has slowed down on its improvements. 1980s-early 90s was where it reached its pinnacle, and since that time (and the proceeding couple a decades) the talent and skills have not improved. Today and recently aren’t as good as 15-20-30 -40 years ago

on Usyk. I think the worst match is the very hard-hitting, aggressive, fit and determined Tyson. Usyk won’t see rd 3. A combination of Tyson’s traits against a fighter who cannot at all hurt or discourage him

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,055 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

Yup. I think he is too fast, quick, busy and moving.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,055 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

he will be for 4 or 5 rounds, fury will slow him down ;)

Well, no better man to do that than Fury, who has a good boxing/fighting brain. I just think Usyk’s brain, fitness and movement won’t allow Fury enough chances/time to really impose his physical self.

I dont think anyone blows Usyk away in 3 rounds I think he may have the best footwork I’ve ever seen at CW or HW. He has great reflexes and again is among the best ever in terms of stamina. Not one punch power but he wore down Joshua to the point of quitting. I know Joshua is no Tyson but still. Anyhow we wont ever see it so it’s a side note for another debate.

For Usyk and Fury let’s get talking. I think again so much depends on the referee. If he were to allow Fury to lean, spoil and wrestle then I see him wearing Usyk down and eventually stopping him. If he keeps distance (I’m thinkin similar to Hatton Mayweather) then Usyk has a huge advantage. He still needs to fight a near perfect fight while Fury will be dangerous for him throughout. I think Fury late but I’m rooting for Usyk

• Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭reclose

I’m hoping Usyk wins but I think Fury has all the tools to make it a really ugly fight and win it that way.

I see John Fury on saying Feb 17 too early for Fury....laying the groundwork for another duck?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,331 ✭✭✭OmegaGene

i missed the gorman fight last night but by all accounts he came in fat as a house and too slow, his comeback ended in a points defeat

The internet isn’t for everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 3,272 ✭✭✭Dick phelan

Absolute bollox that either Usyk or Fury get blown away by anyone. I'd pick both to beat a few great fighters from the past. Mike Tyson beat guys like Bruce Seldon and Trevor Berbick and an old Larry Holmes. He might win but he isn't doing the same to either Usyk or Fury. As for Holyfield at CW him vs Usyk is incredibly hard to call.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,272 ✭✭✭Dick phelan

As for Usyk vs Fury a lot depends on what Fury's mind is like. Make no mistake he has to be at the level he was when he beat Klitschko or Wilder 2. If he is I think he wins a competitive fight by decision. If he really has slipped than Usyk takes it for me.

Advertisement