Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hamas strike on Israel - Threadbans in op - mod warning in OP updated 19/10/23

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,156 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

I'm not really a fan of the narrative around Hamas actions having broad support of Gaza population because they were elected.

For one thing it completely ignores how Hamas campaigned during that election and attempted to rebrand themselves as a moderate group. Look it up.

It veers the conversation towards the people in Gaza deserve what they get which is plainly wrong and a disgusting position to hold.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users Posts: 29,367 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

I am talking about those who only ever ask questions which implicates the Israeli side, or exonerate Hamas; and never ask critical questions about the role of Hamas. And "just" asking questions, insinuating etc etc

People are condoning what Hamas did. Refusing to condemn them for atrocities against civilians. Implying the entire operation was an Israeli false flag. Demonstrating sneaking regard for the attacks. What is that if not condoning?

Asking questions of both sides, and giving context \ nuance to the questions and put forth their own take on things is not what I am referring to.

Oh and I think people who deliberately pick out Nazi comparisons to Israeli, despite their being historically very dubious and there being many much more valid historical comparisons to chose from - and engaging in anti semitic baiting. People who only take issue with conduct such as Israels, while turning a blind eye to the same conduct elsewhere in the Middle East, have a hatred of Israel and anti semitism is one source of that hatred.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭Ulixes

So are you saying that you think that Israelis are Nazis?

The pearl clutching outrage is the preserve of those who are all bent out of shape by this conflict while been unfazed by larger and more bloody ones close by. The double standards and and utter hypocrisy of those people shows them for the bigots they are.

Fair enough but the narrative that Hamas are a small group that has somehow taken the 1.6 million people in Gaza hostage is nonsensical.

Civilian populations never deserve what they get. The disagreement is about what level of culpability Hamas and the IDF hold for their suffering. I hold that Hamas bears the primary and overwhelming responsibility for their suffering but that the IDF are shockingly ambivalent to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,523 ✭✭✭brickster69

Arab delegation left China after 2 days and landed in Moscow.

“The earth is littered with the ruins of empires that believed they were eternal.”

- Camille Paglia

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,564 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Let me see if I can phrase this in a way that won't have people on here claiming I called every Israeli Hitler next time I come to the thread.

I believe that there are several people in the Israeli Government, Military, Media and Society who would be happy to exterminate the Palestinian population in the same way that Nazis sought to exterminate the Jewish Community 80 years ago.

There are enough of these people in positions of power, operation, influence that means that the Israeli nation is currently carrying out a genocide on the Palestinian people.

And so that there is no confusion, I don't see the state of Israel and the Jewish community being the same entity or necessarily on the same wavelength, but there are too many in the latter that is giving tacit support to the former in its current actions.

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭Sir_Name

Again I don’t think any of those people are left on this thread. I’d be surprised if you can name anyone who regularly contributes to this thread as condoning Hamas. I’m open to correction on that.

As for the references to Jewish history, many feel it’s relevant considering the atrocities that they lived through and how the state of Israel came to be today directly because of that. It’s a natural correlation to have especially if you sit on the side of the fence that believes Israel is engaging in ethnic cleaning, and forced movement, settlements etc etc

Do you think America knew this would happen, or is going to realize what is happening?

We're seeing a very disturbing group of sides. Israel/US/EU/Australia/Canada on one side, Arab states/South Africa/China/Russia on the other.

FFS, we should be literally working together to deal with what is going to impact all of us (climate change) instead we're gearing up to blow the **** out of each other for a few years in the name of what exactly?

And the vastttttttt majority of the people on the planet want nothing but peace. In moments like this, I'm glad I don't have children.

I think it is quite clear that Israel is engaging in forced movement of the Arab population in large parts of the West Bank. I think there is a larger proportion of the Palestinian Arab population that would like to see the total extermination of the Jewish Palestinian that is the case in reverse. I believe that a larger proportion of the Muslim population are religious fundamentalists than is the case in the Jewish population. I believe that democracy and democratic institutions are more compatible with the Jewish Faith than the Muslim Faith. That's an opinion based on the teachings of both faiths.

Much of the rhetoric on this has echoes of Trumps comment after Charlottesville that there are good people on both sides; while the actions of Israel can and should be criticised Hamas, in their ideology, intent and actions, are far worse. Full stop and without equivocation.

Post edited by Ulixes on

If you think that what Israel is doing now is genocide then I suggest you read a few history books.

• Advertisement

It's worth noting which countries are on the side of Israel and what values they hold in common. It's also worth noting the confluence of anti democratic countries aligned against them.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,581 ✭✭✭suvigirl

It's a memorial of a concentration camp. One of many concentration camps where millions of their people were put to death. The culmination of hundreds of years of persecution.

I presume they hoped their people would never be treated like that again. Instead, they see their people immediately being attacked by neighbours since 1947. Their people still needing to defend themselves because no-one else does.

I'm surprised that anyone could be shocked by their stance, I can understand it completely.

They pop up, and it can take some time before the mask slips and they leave the thread, whether voluntarily or involuntarily.

And just yesterday on the thread I was involved in a discussion where a poster refused to condemn Hamas for atrocities against civilians, deploying vague and evasive phrasings instead.

It is not a natural correlation. It is just lazy race baiting. It is bordering on Holocaust Denial, which is a form of anti-semitism (whether conscious or subconscious), because it belittles the true horror of the Nazis and the Holocaust. So as far as I'm concerned someone who engages in that is engaging in anti-semitism.

How many examples of ethnic cleansing, forced movement and settlements have there been in history? In the Middle East?

How many examples of massive bombing campaigns?

The reason why the Nazis have gone down in history for evil is not merely because of that. It is because of the deliberately deployed planned industrial scale horrors such as death camps to try to carry out their goals. The scale and deliberate nature of the genocide they planned.

There is a hatred of Israel that was there before October 7th. Some of that hatred is anti Western in nature, but some of it is undoubtedly anti-semitic.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,479 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

I mentioned here yesterday evening that the current conflict has been an absolute PR disaster for Israel. They are rapidly heading in the direction of being perceived as a rogue or pariah state by the public in the West (even if western governments and some media are not on board with this idea).

"Everyone" else?

Well given that posters have thanked and agreed with my comments on the thread, not only is your statement demonstrably false purely based on the contents of the thread.

But also, do you remember posting this? These were your words earlier today:

"Stop pretending that you get to declare what is happening on the thread just because it is your say so."

From the same poster who makes declarations on behalf of "Everyone else" on the thread?

Isn't that you declaring what is happening on the thread?

I think posters on the thread can make up their own minds about where 'the BS' is coming from.

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭Sir_Name

Sorry but that’s BS. It is not holocaust denial to ask questions of an event that is happening now. No one is denying that the holocaust happened. No one is denying the severity, horror and atrocity of the holocaust. Settlement, forced movement, calling Palestinians animals and inferior race are not behaviours I would ever condone. Do you think it’s ok? Because horrors were thrust upon a race and ethnicity 70 years ago, does not make it ok for the above behaviours. In fact, maybe I’m naive, one would assume there would be more compassion for other races and ethnicities and not a sense of entitlement such as the settlements.

Yes the horrors that happened in WWII were on an unimaginable scale. However there are equally horrible acts happening today on both sides. One would hope we have evolved enough to never see an atrocity of that scale again. Against any race/ethnicity.

I can’t answer the question to how many forced movements etc. I don’t know. It’s still wrong. I’m not sure I get the point you’re trying to make with that.

Someone is going to have to mediate in negotiations if it get's to that point. China and Russia have understanding with both sides and have openly condemned both sides at the UN.

“The earth is littered with the ruins of empires that believed they were eternal.”

- Camille Paglia

• Registered Users Posts: 6,425 ✭✭✭SafeSurfer

Who hasn’t condemned Hamas when challenged to do so?

That your replied to my posts yesterday unequivocally condemning Hamas with a response of “ why don’t you condemn Hamas” is a case in point.

If questions aren’t allowed on a discussion board perhaps you could direct us to a forum where asking questions isn’t regarded as right wing, anti Semitic, conspiratorial opprobrium.

Multo autem ad rem magis pertinet quallis tibi vide aris quam allis

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭Fr D Maugire

You seem to miss the point that it was the Zionists idea to go and settle in that area of the World with the aim of creating a Jewish state there. They always knew based on their history with Islamists, that this would never be accepted and that the creation of a Jewish state on lands taken from the Arabs would never be accepted by their "neigbours". The Israelis have aways known they would have to fight for the existence of their state from the start, that is why they have always had such a strong military force from the start. People can argue about the right of Israel to exist, but the reality is if you take land from people against their wishes(whether you think justified or not), you can expect a certain level of hostility from those dispossessed. That is as old as hat. The Zionists have always known that.

And if peace is to come, I'm going to have no issue if it is led by China and Russia. (That doesn't mean Russia gets a pass on Ukraine)

I'd just be wary of US intent if they see the potential for China and Russia being peacemakers.

Biden met with Xi last week, I wonder did they discuss this conflict in any sort of meaningful way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,385 ✭✭✭AllForIt

Hey does anyone know when holocaust denial began? I would have imagined it began decades after, like say in the 80's where only then could one say that photo and video evidence has been faked.

Anyway, this Irish comedian has only waited a few weeks since the October 7th massacre. They don't waste much time these days do they.

- Camille Paglia

This is what I wrote:

It is not a natural correlation. It is just lazy race baiting. It is bordering on Holocaust Denial, which is a form of anti-semitism (whether conscious or subconscious), because it belittles the true horror of the Nazis and the Holocaust. So as far as I'm concerned someone who engages in that is engaging in anti-semitism.

How many examples of ethnic cleansing, forced movement and settlements have there been in history? In the Middle East?

How many examples of massive bombing campaigns?

The reason why the Nazis have gone down in history for evil is not merely because of that.

How you got: "It's not Holocaust Denial to ask questions" from that I don't know.

How about responding to the actual points made as to why it is lazy race baiting and anti-semitic to call Jews Nazis? Because this post doesn't even attempt to do so.

Just because something should not be described as Nazi behaviour does not mean it is condoned. You are just demonstrating Godwin's Law by lazily jumping straight to Nazi, going past all the far more applicable and relevant examples from history as you do so. And when it relates to Jewish people, there is a responsibility before throwing around such language, and when such responsibility is not shown - it is anti semitic, unconscious or not.

My understanding of Hickey's position is that he doesn't deny that October 7th happened or that 800 Israeli civilians were murdered - more that he's querying the entire narrative of how this event has been used to justify the attacks on Gaza and its population.

It's the same disinformation tactics we saw Russian propagandists roll out, vague weasel words about "we don't know", the same "just asking questions" jaqqing off. Questions he will never ask of Hamas or their supporters. Any words said about Hamas will be couched in caveats and both sides and reservations. No such standard applied when discussing Israel.

Give him time he'll probably go full conspiracy theory nutjob and hinting it was an Israeli false flag.

He's clearly very left wing and pro-Palestine and anti-Israel in his beliefs. I don't think it would be fair to accuse him though of being a denier that October 7th even happened. I would say the likes of Claire Daly and Mick Wallace are even further to the left than he is.

Here's some questions for you.

1. Do you think that it was strange that Israel claims to have been caught completely unawares given that Egypt says it told them, and that given the numbers involved, the idea that Israeli intelligence wouldn't have picked up on it except simultaneously they want people to believe that they were able to grab a recording of Hamas personnel discussing the firing a rocket that hit a hospital at the start of the conflict?
    2. Do you not think that Israeli reports as to 40 beheaded babies which was repeated by many (including Biden) but which Israel then said it couldn't confirm that it happened would lead to skepticism about other reports around the incident?
    3. What do you think Netanyahu was implying when he said that Hamas was central to Israel achieving its goals?
    4. Do you think asking these questions implies support for Hamas?

For the record, I think that the attacks on Oct 7th were brutal terrorist attacks carried out by people intent on harming as many Israelis as they could. All those who participated, planned and funded the attack should be held accountable or removed so that they can never do so again. But just because this is the case, I'm not going to blindly accept everything a group that is killing thousands of people and which has proven to have made false statements. Are you doing this?

Does he actually say that 800 civilians were 'murdered' or merely 'killed'?

Does he specifically condemn Hamas for those murders, or is it just condemning the killings in general without assigning culpability?

Such activists as Hickey, Daly, Wallace can be 'Jesuitical' in their phrasing to give themselves wiggle room, or is that weasel room.

The guy is a comedian / satirist. Is it really his job to justify his position on what form his satire takes? I'm not sure I see the numerous right wing / far right media commentators in the UK being challenged on just why they are supporting the Israeli regime.

• Advertisement

I think there is a deliberate attempt to sow confusion about the atrocities Hamas carried out on October 7th, nit picking on details at the risk of obscuring the real truth - that they were "brutal terrorist attacks carried out by people intent on harming as many Israelis as they could." That in those attacks they deliberatley inflicted atrocities against civilians, regardless of age or gender. There were maimings, beheadings, burnings, rapes and the brutalisation extended to infants and children. They were babies mutilated, there were beheadings, that somehow grew legs into "40 beheaded babies". Were there 40 beheaded babies? Seems not. But they were dead babies, deliberately killed by Hamas. That is the real truth Hamas defenders and supporters are trying to obscure.

As for the rest - largely answered below in response to similar questions from Sir_Name.

I'm not asking you to blindly accept anything, but the red flags that someone is a Hamas supporter comes when...

It is that these questions are only ever asked of one side.

And are not balanced - as you have done, with a clear and unambiguous description of Hamas as brutal terrorists.

Advertisement