Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tubeless Plug Recommendations

Options
  • 21-11-2023 11:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,991 ✭✭✭

I posted this last week in the No Stupid Questions thread, but (I hope) it got lost in the mix.

I had to use a plug for the first time last Sunday. The tubeless plug kit I'm using is from Leyzne. The tool itself is very good, but I found the plugs supplied with it very large, and difficult to fit. Much more so than it seems from various Youtube videos.

Does anyone have a recommendation for replacement plugs that might be a bit thinner? I was looking at Amazon, but there's lots of no name options, and while they might all be as good as the branded ones, I don't feel like finding out some day 30 miles from home.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,446 ✭✭✭Macy0161

I got Dynaplugs over the summer (tool, and starter plugs from Cycle Superstore), and despite some sceptism on my part, they're a step above the worms/ bacon strips. Plugged a road fine on a club spin - on the road I run ride flat inserts, so I did turn for home, but I needn't have worried to be honest, and ended doing local loops to make up some distance!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭Mefistofelino

The Lezyne kit is ridiculously large for road tyres - the few times I've used it, it ended up widening the cut in the tyre. It's a pity as it a tidy unit.

The cheap (< €10) bacon strip kit from Decathlon I found to be quite good, though its a good idea to add a blade into the box to cut away some of the excess strip after you've inserted the plug, otherwise its a very noticeable bump when you ride.

The main issue with the Dynaplug kit (apart from the cost of the tool and the replacement cost of the plugs) is that over time, the waxy section of the plug tends to expand. This causes two problems. Firstly, if the plug in the tool is old and has expanded in the barrel, it adheres to the metal, so when you stab the tyre and withdraw the tool, it can tear the metal tip off, leaving it to rattle around in the tyre. For added fun the tool then pulls the waxy plug back out of the tyre so back to square one. Second problem is that older spare plugs can also expand, making them difficult to fit into the tool. Having said all that, the Dynaplug is streets ahead in speed and ease of operation. Just give it an aul inspection every now and then, particularly if you haven't used it for ages.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,991 ✭✭✭cletus

Thanks, folks.

I already have the kit I have, so I don't want to have to change over, especially at the price of the Dynaplug kit.

@Mefistofelino, I might have a look at the plugs in Decathlon next time I'm up.

I really just need a slightly narrower strip to make the process a little easier

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Underpinner

I have the same problem. I’ve cut the strips in half. Also carry a blade.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭Paddigol

Is it possible that you're looking at MTB plugs? There seem to be two different sizes... narrower ones for road and wider ones for off road?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,991 ✭✭✭cletus

Should probably have said, gravel bike running 40mm tyres

• Registered Users Posts: 7,251 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

That's good advice as my dynaplug is sitting in my saddle bag since around 2020. I've only had one ride ending puncture in about 15000km of tubeless riding. Everything else either sealed fully with sealant, or I could continue the ride with lower pressure

Advertisement