Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Green" policies are destroying this country

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭roosterman71

In cities, the size of them may be an issue. Then again, many of them, though taller, don't have a huge footprint on the ground and would be comparable to many saloons. Loading/unloading them is far easier than a saloon, especially if you have kids. The high driving position is much safer, as well as the aforementioned safety aspect for passengers. Driver competence is an issue not linked to SUVs, though I probably wouldn't mind a new licence class for them. If nothing else it would mean people had to do some training to manoeuver and get used to the new driving position.

I don't believe you had to reverse for half a mile. That doesn't sound legit unless ya were down some bog lane with no where to pull in. Personally, if it was me I'd get out and offer to reverse for them and if they weren't pulling in, I'd hold my position on the road, pull in and then park up. Always let clowns like that ones moving when passing so if they hit your car it's 100% their fault as you are stationary 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 12,559 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

While I agree with you that some folk are out of their depth on country roads (I had a similar experience and had to reverse the Massey a good 250m with a full silage trailer behind me), I don't think it would matter if it's an SUV or a saloon. I've had the same issue when I met the milk lorry, c'est la vie - tis but an opportunity to hone my reversing skills. There's a lot of size variations within the umbrella term of "SUV", anything from the size of a Yaris to the size of a monster truck. In my experience, a lot of of them aren't particularly wide, they're just taller.

Their needs may be different to your views of their needs. They may require increased cabin space or desire a higher driving position or simply their perception of a safer cabin. What exactly is wrong with any of those needs?

• Registered Users Posts: 843 ✭✭✭m2_browning

And here we get to the core of the green nonsense ideology/religion

The sheer arrogance and condescension towards those they consider are not holy enough

It is not up to you and your inner dictator to tell what people to do or how to live their lives

How is your opinion any different to social opinions let’s say of the conservatives who believe abortion is evil and gay rights are sodomous? Btw you are free to have whatever daft opinions and express them online, but trying to force your opinion’s undemocratically when greens are a minority is clearly crossing a line which pisses so many people off

• Registered Users Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭Citizen  Six

Most of the SUVs you are talking about are of no functional use to a farmer.

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭deholleboom

Im leaving this not so merry go round thread due to A:the many blank pages of Ignored Green posters constantly on the war path and displaying their stupidity with a veracity of an out of control beligerent child Homer Simpson and B: the insistence of contra posters willing to engage with them actually contributing to the problem. This slagging match has gotten beyond tedious..

Good luck getting nowhere..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,723 ✭✭✭creedp

Most cars deemed to be in the SUV class for marketing and protest purposes are not SUVs. Ive yet to hear of a protest against crossovers.

Makes sense really as in effect they are but tall hatchbacks. Much more difficult to stir up popular revolt against such a boring and innocuous term

Don’t give up

These priests and doom merchants are repeatedly being proven wrong by science, engineering, economics and facts on this thread

And more importantly exposed for what they are, Far left authoritarians who (claim) give more priority to environmental issues but still want to engage in cultural wars and social engineering

The bizzare crusade against cars in last few pages exposes their daft social positions, while they hypocritical stance on nuclear clearly shows they don’t give a **** about addressing doom and gloom of climate change (interestingly enough their high priestess Greta has now seen the light but it seem some didn’t get the memo here)

Give it a few pages and the ringleader will change topic once again to killing all irish cows for the laughs in order to keep this thread at top and hence give exposure to random out of context environmental related news snippets

"priests and doom merchants", "crusade against cars", "high priestess Greta"

These sound like terms used by people brainwashed into thinking "15 minute cities" are on the way to control us.

No an attack on you personally, clearly aimed at your post. Maybe a more clear and balanced view would be better.

Post edited by Citizen Six on

You want to discuss any of the points made or continue on a personal attack which is against forum rules btw

Or maybe you can’t and hence why you turned to personal insults

• Registered Users Posts: 3,638 ✭✭✭Beta Ray Bill

Seen this today:

I have to say, I am fully behind this.

I try to be as "Green" as I can but would not really be a supporter of the Green party. But this in my mind is hugely important. The amount of stuff I've thrown out over the last X years because it wasn't economical to repair it is a REAL bug bearer of mine. Electronics is a KEY offender here along with things like household appliances.

Replacement furniture parts is another one.

I really hope this one goes though. We have a throw away society at the moment and that needs to change.

• Advertisement

I've adjusted my post. I wouldn't want to insult you personally of course, or infer that you were a snowflake in any way. My sincere apologies.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,299 ✭✭✭Clo-Clo

Most people can't tell the difference, they go around talking about SUV this and SUV that and in reality it's Crossovers they are talking about.

An actually SUV is supposed to be able to go off-road and proper off-road while also been able to get used as an everyday car. It was also supposed to have 4-wheel drive. Proper 4 wheel drive and not the AWD version which is put onto Crossovers which wouldn't get you out of a wet paper bag

Think of a Toyota Land Cruiser and that's a SUV.

As you correctly say the issue is not really with SUV's but with the huge influx of Crossovers

This is great news, at the moment you buy something and two years later if it breaks it is impossible to fix wihtout bending over backwards and normally easier to just go buy a new one

• Registered Users Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭easygoing39

Will this mean we can keep our perfectly good 2013 diesel Golf that continues to pass its NCT every year??

Why would you not keep the diesel Golf?

Even if the government continue with their plans and banning new diesel cars it will be 2030 and it will be many many years after that before diesel cars are totally out of the market. At least 2040 and more like 2050

Personally I don't think diesel cars will ever get banned but the sales will be massively reduced for alternatives. Will that be electrics or hybrids or hydrogen I don't know but in my opinion diesel cars still have a space in the market for a set of customers.

I keep my car until it's not worth a penny and stop working and or cannot pass an NCT, and only then do I change.

Just changed my 2008 Mazda 6 Diesel for a 2019 Leaf. Had the Mazda 9 years. Paid €11,000 for it, got 90,000 miles out of it bringing total up to 160,000.

Subframe goosed and Car only worth about €1,000 (max) I feel that's a genuine reason change.

The Leaf will be driven until it stops working.

I have a paid of Sony WH-1000XM5 headphones. they were €320. After less that 6 months the ear piece broke off, (All electronics still working just the plastic broke...) Sony wanted €165 for a repair....... ASK MY HOLE!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭easygoing39

Clo-Clo,I agree with you,it's just I feel the govt is pressuring people into forking out €50,000 or whatever mad price these ev's are,using the big stick of impending hikes in fuel prices or like in London banning cars older than 8 yrs etc from our larger towns.And all the while the 2013 diesel Golf keeps getting me and my family around in safety and it's still affordable to fill the tank every time it's empty.Plus we have'nt got the funds for a new car,whether ev or fossil fuel powered!

This is the problem, they make it too expensive to repair so you just buy new. This needs to be resolved

It was on Newstalk that the average price of an EV/PHEV is €60,000 new.

They are extremely expensive, and not everyone can afford one. There is also concern with regard to 2nd hand cars as to how well they will work after 6 or 7 years. ICE cars will on average (if looked after) work for 15 years at least. EV's haven't really been around that long so no one really knows.

As someone who lives in Dublin, it bugs me that first I was told to buy low CO2 car, now the CO2 car I was asked to buy emits lots of Sulpher and Soot and I need to change that for an EV or PHEV, now that I bought that I'm being told, please use public transport instead of your car if it's available, so I did that too and now for areas where Public transport is poor I'm being told to use "Active Transport" (Walk or Cycle).

If the government don't want cars in DCC just ban them, grow a pair of balls like. Gas thing is that the odd time I do drive into Dublin there is nearly always at least 3 people in the car and it's always on the weekend. This makes is more green than a half filled Bus or Train, yet they're still making it as difficult as they can for me.

As already mentioned if I paid €60,000 for a car I'd be using it for everything!

The big issue now as well is the second hand market for EV's. A lot of garages don't want to trade in electric cars or are reluctant to. Just talking to a guy and he said a garage took in 12 Leafs and ended up selling them off at a combined loss of nearly 100k. (exaggerated I expect)

But loads of info on web about the price of second hand electric cars in the UK and the depreciation

One below

It's coming to a head now and not sure how it will pan out but the price of new electric cars are still totally ridiculous

• Registered Users Posts: 12,559 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

Absolutely. 95% of the components are still perfect but the item is needlessly binned.

Or worse still they seal the battery in and when it degrades it's nearly impossible to replace so you've to buy a new one. I can't wait for user replaceable batteries to return.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,993 ✭✭✭✭JRant

I recently replaced a battery on my Note 9 phone. It was working perfectly except for the crap battery life. Bought a small kit, including new battery, and replaced it in under an hour but they don't make it easy. The end result was a perfectly good phone with a new lease of battery life (pardon the pun). It's shocking how difficult they make it though and really needs to be looked at.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

Curious to see France looking to develop nearly 20GW of offshore wind over the next decade. I guess they have to do something to cover all the unexpected downtime at the nuke plants

What if the unexpected downtime coincides with no wind blowing? If they were concerned about unexpected downtime, it would be coal/oil/gas they'd be heading for and not wind

How would that approach align with a zero emissions grid?

The scale of the emissions of the Irish agri sector being highlighted again. Hopefully the work being done in that sector starts to show better results, faster

Emissions per capita in Ireland are more than a fifth higher than the EU average because of agriculture, according to a report by the Central Bank.

The “Climate Observatory” report provided an update of the State’s main climate-related metrics. It noted that “by global standards, Ireland is an emission-intensive economy”.

The State’s CO2 emissions per capita in 2020 was 6.8 tonnes, it said, which was 23 per cent higher than the EU, 47 per cent higher than the UK, but 48 per cent lower than North America.

Four sectors accounted for 83 per cent of Irish greenhouse gas emissions; agriculture (38 per cent), transport (18 per cent), energy (17 per cent) and residential (11 per cent).

Bingo!

back to killing the cows as predicted higher up in page

There's no such thing unless nuclear is in the picture and or/until the hydrogen plans are realised

Which is the case in France, so why suggest it then as it would not seem compatible with that

France is on the European grid, Ireland is not, and much closer to the core EU banana economic core

France is already the greenest in Europe since forever because of nuclear

And unlike the ideologically blinkered ideologues here they don’t seem to view the world via false either/or choices and actually want to help solve climate change instead of throwing hundreds of billions into the Atlantic Ocean blindly without consideration

Post edited by m2_browning on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,378 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

my magimix blender has a 30 year parts availability (admittedly cost a fortune) (€199)

my miele dishwasher/vacuum have 25 year parts availability (€899/249)

to be honest probably still cheaper to throw them than repair. the legislation has to address ease of repair otherwise it's pointless. (to be fair I think it originally was supposed to but don't know if that made it through)

having said that I have an old tefal actifry and that has a 15 year parts availability and got a new lid recently)

so if you look products are out there but they cost.

Advertisement