Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hamas strike on Israel - Threadbans in op - mod warning in OP updated 19/10/23

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,384 ✭✭✭AllForIt

My understanding of the hard left position is that Oct7 wasn't all that, just a random one-off attack that wasn't as bad as people make it out to be. Clearly Hickey doesn't support any response from Israel at all and doesn't even think killing Hamas terrorists is justifiable because to him they are not even terrorists but freedom fighters.

In any case I think it's ridiculous to say that even if they didn't kill babies that should make some difference. Like what are they trying to say, that Hamas is bad but they could be worse so give them some credit.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,362 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

I'm not sure how that relates to anything that was said. Are we not allowed to challenge them???

What was satirical about the comments??? What was funny? Is this satire or comedy ever deployed against Hamas?

I'd rather commentators that are Hamas supporters just come out and say it and be honest instead of lying and put on a false pretence of neutrality. There is nothing satirically worthy about that approach either.

Come back to me when Hickey posts something balanced, because at the moment it just seems like the same dishonest "just asking questions" line I've heard before.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

And they did kill babies. Deliberately so in cold blood.

He is an apologist for terrorists, engaged in atrocity denial.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,018 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Language is indeed important, I agree. So you say Israel is "behaving with a disgraceful disregard for civilian collateral damage". The UN says it is an unparalleled loss of civilian life in modern times. I say it is a relentless attack on a largely defenceless civilian population. Attacks on public buildings and refugee camps. I think we're all basically on the one page there.

As for jackboots, the analogy is apt since the IDF is a well equipped, trained and ruthless force. This war on Gaza is much about public perception and that is the image firmly planted by the actions of the IDF in the public mind. It's a PR disaster for Israel, which maybe is slowly sinking in and hence a move towards a ceasefire. But the damage is done.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,564 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

More with the histrionics and exaggerated hyperbole.

If people saying the killing of 1200 people is less that it was said to be and the events, though horrific, were not as gratuitous as they were initially said to be, is apologizing for terrorists, what is the people who are justifying the killing of 15,000 people and the displacement of a million more in response to these initial attacks.

Much of the original outrage Israel supporters (including Biden) used in the 1st week after the attack to justify what was about to happen.

6 Weeks later, 5,000 that's more than 100 times more than the supposed deaths of babies have been killed and people are pointing the finger at someone correctly pointing out that facts around the attack and saying that that is apologizing for terrorism

Either acknowledge that Hickey isn't doing this, or explain how the deaths of 40 Israeli kids surpasses in tragedy the deaths of thousands of Palestinian ones.

• Advertisement

It is not a numbers game, it is the nature of what they did.

"Supposed" ???

Eh no, Hamas deliberately and wilfully murdered Israeli babies.

Are you denying that?

Yes or no?

Does Hickey acknowledge that and condemn Hamas for it?

Is Hickey ever moved to point out the facts of what Hamas has done?

Or ask questions when accusations of atrocity are made against Israel?

Because from what's been posted so far, it is just the standard "just asking questions" schtick we've seen so many times before, which is just masking a closet Hamas defender and terrorist apologist.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,393 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

I believe that there are several people in the Israeli Government, Military, Media and Society who would be happy to exterminate the Palestinian population in the same way that Nazis sought to exterminate the Jewish Community 80 years ago.

There are enough of these people in positions of power, operation, influence that means that the Israeli nation is currently carrying out a genocide on the Palestinian people.

You can believe in the Easter Bunny or Santa Claus if you want, but belief doesn't make it so.

Just because one repeats a belief of Genocide in Gaza by Israel doesn't make it so.

Israel is NOT currently undergoing the mass annihilation of 2 million Gazans

• Registered Users Posts: 14,393 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

Tadgh Hicky is a fool and a Grifter.

He is currently selling a book and tickets to his show. So any publicity is good for the bottom line for him first and foremost.

He will jump and any and all bandwagons and he takes himself soooooo seriously as if he is a serious social commentator on matters.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,479 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

He is a comedian and satirist first and foremost. He produces home made satirical videos on his social media channels all year round on all sorts of topics that are in the news currently (not just Israel) subjects like Brexit, Northern Ireland, Covid-19, class differences etc. Are satirists normally challenged on what angle they take with their satire? I would have thought the whole point of satire is to adopt a very specific position on a particular topic and to mock the thing they are satirising. That being the case, people are totally free to disagree with the satire and not find it funny.

On social media I see partisan posts on this topic, no pretence of comedy or satire.

I'm not aware of any requirement for satire that only one particular position on a topic must be mocked. Within the context of one particular piece - yes. But not across all output from same source.

It is obvious the satire is not being done in the name of comedy first, but to serve his political beliefs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,425 ✭✭✭SafeSurfer

As of 26 October since 7 October 2023, following numbers had increased on Palestinian side since then.

30 Israel minor died, names photos and age shared by haaretz Israel news

Baby (0–4) 1

Kid (5–9) 6

Child (10–14) 11

Teenage (15–17) 12

2913 Palestine minor killed by Israeli army, names age and ID numbers shared by Palestinian health ministry

Baby (0–4) 775

Kid (5–9) 778

Child (10–14) 724

Teenage (15–17) 388

Multo autem ad rem magis pertinet quallis tibi vide aris quam allis

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭Ulixes

If the UN is saying that it is an unparalleled loss of civilian life in modern times then they must have a very short memory.

They are in Yemen where the civilian death toll is far higher.

They are in Ethiopia where the civilian death toll was far higher.

They are in Sudan where the civilian death toll is far higher.

They weren't in Rwanda, where the civilian death toll was over three quarters of a million. Their incompetence in the management of the aftermath of that actual attempted genocide led in no small part to the Congolese war which killed over 5 million people.

Is the UN really saying that? Seriously? Unparalleled in modern times. Are they taking the piss?

The Iranian Army is well trained, well equipped and actually ruthless. As are many others around the world. The Indonesian army, the one that has actually carried out a genocide and is actively attempting to carry out another one as we speak, is also well trained, well equipped and is actually ruthless. Are they all Nazis as well?

It is not a numbers game. Not going to get involved in whataboutery.

I'm talking about the Hamas defenders who show their true colours in refusing to condemn them for the deliberate targeted murder of Israeli babies and children on October 7th.

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭Sir_Name

With all due respect, I did not enact godwins law. You did. It was you not I brought nazi into this conversation. When I mentioned why people might feel there is a correlation I said Jewish history. I didn’t say nazi. You’re trying to put a square peg into a round hole. I have been very clear as to why I believe there are legitimate questions. Ones which need answering. I imagine Israel feel that way too to see what failed security wise on the 7th and what can be done to ensure it will never happen again.

You mentioned people who are picking apart what Israel is doing and not what other countries are doing is anti semite. This is a thread about Hamas/Palestine and Israel. It’s a discussion forum. When posters mentioned comparisons to IRA very early on in the thread they were lambasted for not comparing like with like. There is a long history there. Its foolish for the point of discussion to pretend there’s not.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,425 ✭✭✭SafeSurfer

I might have known you wouldn’t be interested in facts.

You are all for condemnation but have you condemned the killing of thousands of Palestinian children?

Multo autem ad rem magis pertinet quallis tibi vide aris quam allis

Are you denying there are posts on the thread who compared Jews to Nazis? I didn't bring it into the conversation. I'm pointing out how it is anti-semitic. You are the one who jumped in challenging it, creating the impression you think it is a valid comparison to deploy.

It is a thread about Hamas\Palestine and Israel, but when hatred is directed at Israel it is entirely valid to question why it is directed at Israel when similar conduct elsewhere does not generate such hate. Or when countries actually engaged in worse conduct start pontificating about the conflict, it is entirely valid to point it out. It is not whataboutery. There is something about the level of hate and scrutiny of Israel that requires explanation and that can only be done with reference to their history and other conflicts.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,479 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Well, I do know he also makes lots of satirical videos. I don't follow him on any channel, but I imagine they're up on the likes of YouTube or TikTok.

Clearly, he's coming at these topics such as Brexit, Northern Ireland and Israel as a 'left wing Irish nationalist', he's hardly making any secret of it....he's definitely not claiming to be neutral. I don't know his politics, but one assumes he would be a Sinn Fein or People Before Profit supporter.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,018 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Do you not follow the news? Well reported today.

Is that official enough for you? Sufficient evidence?

Keep that energy next time you're talking about the deep state and antifa/Far left etc etc etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,082 ✭✭✭Sudden Valley

I get that if references are made to another separate conflict that that can be referred to as whataboutery but even referring to civilian casualties on both sides seems to be called whataboutery by the diehard supporters of Israel's action since the attack. I dont think they want to read about kids being blown to pieces.

I think it is right to call out Hamas supporters but to have every post talking about antisemitism is a bit obsessive.

• Advertisement

Nope, not playing the whatabout \ numbers game. As other posters have argued, the Hamas attacks on civilians on 7th are unquestionably war crimes. Israel has the right to defend itself and respond to such attacks, and in hitting back against Hamas, the culpability for civilian deaths is very much in question between Hamas and Israel. Given how Hamas bases itself and uses civilian areas to launch attacks, does not wear uniforms, and uses the civilian population to conceal its terrorist activities.

You are in no position to request that when you have multiple times now refused to condemn Hamas for their atrocities against Israeli civilians, including children, on October 7th. Phrasings vaguely referencing 'civilians killed in the attacks' does not amount to the same thing.

Yemen, Sudan, Ethiopia are all conflicts (and there are more) that have grater death tolls but the death toll in Gaza has been reached in a matter of weeks. That is the significant part here.

If you can't grasp that or think the UN would be making misleading statements to the point that they were 'taking the piss' then, I don't know what to tell you.

Wow, what a complete idiot. Is he not aware of all of the other larger conflicts that the UN have failed to address since 2017?

Does he not know about, since he took over, the more than 200,000 dead in Ethiopia, the more than 100,000 dead in Yemen, the 20,000 or so dead in Maghreb, the Drug wars in Mexico, the Gang wars in Haiti, the conflicts in Myanmar, Nigeria, Burkina Faso and Somalia, or the invasion of Ukraine?

Or maybe he's not stupid, maybe, like so many here, he's just really selective about who he's critical of and is willing to spew nonsensical hyperbole because of an undefined reason that he doesn't like Israel.

For the love of God, don't be so obtuse.

We were told that 40 babies were beheaded, then that it couldn't be confirmed, then that maybe they hadn't been beheaded, but had died, then that the number was smaller. That was simply my point, that there was ambiguity around the events.

Any outrage you feel about the deaths of Israeli babies, should be magnified with respect to the deaths on the Palestinian side given the vastly greater numbers.

That's it. This continued justification of Israels actions because of X number of lives tragically taken deserves to be questioned given the (X times Y) numbers of lives tragically taken on the Palestinian side.

The refusal to see this is what infuriates a lot of observers (including Hickey I imagine) because it implies that some lives are more valuable than others.

"He is a comedian and satirist first and foremost", That's both the most generous and most inaccurate thing anyone's said on this thread so far. I think "Joker", in the pejorative sense, is a more apt description. "Clown" would also suffice.

Google Definition

satire the use of humour, irony, exaggeration, or ridicule to expose and criticize people's stupidity or vices, particularly in the context of contemporary politics and other topical issues.

He mightn't be your cup of tea, but what he does fits the literal textbook definition of the word.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

Not this again. We weren't told that 40 babies were beheaded. The report said that 40 babies/children were killed, and some were beheaded. That people are trying to use the fact that not exactly 40 babies were beheaded to downplay and write off what Hamas did is disgusting.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭quokula

The number that you say was "not exactly 40" is zero.

It would however be a pretty conservative estimate to say that more than 40 innocent Palestinian babies have been beheaded by Israeli bombs, given that most Palestinian children have resorted to writing their names on their limbs for identification purposes because having their bodies ripped apart by the IDF is so commonplace.

Don't be so obtuse - take your own advice. So far, he seems like terrorist apologist rolling out the just asking questions schtick to mask that he is a Hamas supporter. Pay attention to what is not said as well as what is said.

There is a world of difference between a Hamas terrorist deliberately going around targeting and executing civilians on October 7th, and deaths of civilians when Israel attempts to strike back against Hamas sites in civilian areas. It is constantly debated on this thread, the degree to which culpability attaches to Hamas or Israel for those deaths.

But sure, come back to me when you find him in his role 'as an observer' subjecting Hamas and accusations against Israel to the same scrutiny, when he unequivocally condemns Hamas for the babies and children they did deliberately slaughter on October 7th. And I'll withdraw that.

• Advertisement

They, and me, are trying to point out that if dead babies repulses you, the vastly greater number of dead babies on the Palestinian side should mean that at the very least you acknowledging that there is greater loss to that community.

I want to say nobody is downplaying what Hamas is doing but some pedant will say "Oh but you said someone probably did downplay it maybe possibly 5 weeks ago and therefore everything you say is a lie" so let me try to put it this way. The death of any baby/child/innocent at any time is a tragedy, that the deaths often come about at the hands of others is horrific, but pointing out that the details of the attack has changed repeatedly does not equate to supporting or downplaying what Hamas did.

I know that on this thread, I was told by a very pro-Israel poster that the manner of the childrens death was significant as to how Israel responded, so then, when it turns out that what was said to have occurred had not occurred in the manner in which it was said, does it not follow through that the response of Israel can therefore be questioned? All without saying that someone is supporting or downplaying Hamas?

And this isn't a pissing contest to see which community suffered more, those of us calling for a ceasefire are motivated in trying to advocate so that other children (and adults) don't die or have their lives destroyed. It's a messed up world when calling for peace has people accusing you of supporting terrorism.

Advertisement